Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I would give Metric Motors a call and ask for advise. They have certainly come across that.
https://mercedesengines.net/
Dirk
I believe the vibration damper is also just slightly offset like the distributor drive so you "can't" install it 180* off. Not quite enough offset and you can "make" it fit. Not sure why, but seems MB should have made the offset just a tad more.
Bueno!
General Discussion / Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by RamAir on Today at 13:14:52 »
Thank You for the information and suggestions. I did price the Mechatronik restoration cost and yes, it's just south of $500,000. My client choked a little bit and asked me to research a stateside shop and we don't necessarily want to do an engine swap, just modern drivability upgrades and restoration. I looked a Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, but they maintain the originality aspect. I to, am a purist snob and the thought of altering from OE gives me hives We are simply looking for a stateside shop attempting to strike a balance between preserving originality and enhancing drivability.
Exhaust leak is indeed possible, that can sound the same as a valve tick.
Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes / Re: Injectors
« Last post by mdsalemi on Today at 12:25:39 »
I can give you my experience when I rebuilt my fuel injection pump and injectors.

Great, detailed story, Mauro! Thank you for sharing.

Here in the USA, it’s a bit less costly and a bit easier to obtain a set of new R2 injectors. There are many suppliers of them, and the cost is generally less than $100 each… But if I changed mine, I would probably try to have them tested first!

One would expect that the defective ones you received were simply a terrible error on the part of Bosch.
Hi All,

My engine shop has started re-assembly of my engine and he has advised me that my head gaskets bore is too small and the pistons will hit it.

My engine has been oversized to 83mm and as you can see from the picture attached, the Elring head gasket from the VRS set has a diameter of 82mm.

I have looked around on here and the internet and can’t seem to find bigger bore diameter gaskets offered for oversized pistons.

Has anyone else encountered this before or can perhaps offer any advice?

My engine builder is suggesting getting a gasket made up for it.

Any ideas anyone?

Doug
General Discussion / Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by mdsalemi on Today at 12:03:34 »
We all started somewhere, including mechatronix.

Yes that’s true. Unfortunately though, you didn’t answer the original poster’s question. You suggest firms that may be hiding somewhere because they don’t have a marketing department, but you didn’t name any. Nor did you respond to my simple questions of can or would you do such a restoration. What you are doing is responding to other’s responses, with a thinly veiled maligning of shops like say, that one in Cardiff everyone likes to slam…

Because the OP is fairly new to this forum—the first and only post, it seems likely that they don’t have extensive knowledge on the model, and maybe less on the nuance, time and cost of what it takes to do a Mechatronikworthy restomod. If they did they would not be here asking the question. There’s no substitute for experience.

What you could do, RamAir, is pick up a few years+ worth of old Classic Mercedes and Mercedes Enthusiast magazines. (Both from Sundial Publications out of UK) Go back 5-10 years. Scour them, and you will find some of the world’s top restoration houses that specialize in Mercedes. You’ll also find the occasional detailed story on one or more Restomods including Mechatronik. You can then start making calls. Go online and search also, for “Mercedes Restomods” and some names may pop up on finished cars (not necessarily Pagodas, and many with non-Mercedes engines) such as Mechatronik (no surprise there) Chris Warner Design, John Sarkisyan, Matthew Finbow, Derelict Design, Chip Foose, Renntech, Brabus and more. Start making calls and research their Restomods.

There are many firms that have done one off cars. If you have ever been to a SEMA show in Las Vegas, there are hundreds of one off restomod cars on display. The shops that do these would probably take on any make or model.

But I’ll stand by my original premise 100%: if a Mechatronik “M SL” quality restomod is what your client is looking for and they know and have the ability to pay for it, that might be my most serious call. They claim to build just five of them a year…
It almost sound like an exhaust leak at the header.   Seems louder on the top end than the bottom
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10