Author Topic: How often do you spot another Pagoda ?  (Read 507843 times)

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Re: Poll - how often do you spot another Pagoda ?
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2006, 05:45:37 »
I plan to spot one really, really soon. I will be flying into Miami on Wednesday and reunited with Carling for that glorious south-Florida winter after a six-month hiatus.  I'm looking forward to installing that new 3.27 diff this winter!

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
You only need 2 tools in life: WD40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.
Trice
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2006, 10:32:30 »
Happened last week in Bloomington Indiana while I was checking on the progress of my heater core replacement.

Met the owner of a '67...what's unusual is that there's only about three of these in town, so for our paths to have crossed at the same time is pretty ironic.   All three are red!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2006, 11:48:00 »
I spent ten days in California last month and only saw one Pagoda - a silver one at the Pacific Grove entrance to 17 Mile Drive. The weather was lovely and I was surprised not to see more Pagodas - where have you all hidden them?

Off topic, but what was remarkable in California was the number of old W123 turbodiesels. I had thought that the USA market did not buy diesels. Can anyone explain why the world's supply of W123 diesels (other than those which are taxis in North Africa)has concentrated in California?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

65auto230sl

« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2006, 13:29:14 »
yesterday i saw two of them here in santa barbara. both for sale!! a white 67 parked on coast village road that had a sign in it reading "no rust $23,000" and a creme one parked at milpas motors. the creme one had just been sold a few months ago. i would have to assume that it's back on consignment? all very interesting to me as it would take a very large prybar to get me to part with mine!
bo
65 auto 230sl white

Download Attachment: 65 230 sl.jpg
50.45 KB

Download Attachment: 65 230 sl 2. jpg.jpg
66.57 KB

nick350

« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2006, 14:07:17 »
I often see (the car I want) a very nice 280SL in navy blue in central london. I think he is in films as he often has a tripod and is always with nice looking women.

Nick350
r107 SL red

al_lieffring

« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2006, 14:46:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by AGT

Off topic, but what was remarkable in California was the number of old W123 turbodiesels. I had thought that the USA market did not buy diesels. Can anyone explain why the world's supply of W123 diesels (other than those which are taxis in North Africa)has concentrated in California?

Regards
Andrew

Diesels often start out thier lives in the upper midwest farm states running on tax exempt "Off Road" tractor fuel, as they get up in miles and the compression drops down to where they won't start on -30deg. mornings they migrate to the warmer southwestern climate.

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket

tuultyme

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2006, 20:52:55 »
Today I was taking my wife out for a drive down Sheridan Rd here north of Chicago for her birthday; nice sunny day; good day to skip the football game.  Not many of these types of days left for this year in this part of the country.  Any way met and passed a Pagoda with a dark color top on a white car.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

France

• Silver
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2006, 10:40:52 »
Hi Guys,

Coming out to the parking lot of the Old Salty Dog after lunch on the impossibly turquoise waters of the inland waterway, 80 degrees and sunny.  There was a white 280SL 1968 (so the front plate said), black leather.  Looked in good nick.  Sorry I didn't have my usual stash of Forum cards to tuck under the wiper; they just don't fit in a bikini!

(For our international friends, some states, such as CA, mandate legal plates front and rear.  Other states require just a rear plate; your front plate can be anything.  Carling caries my old CA plate in the front.

Trice
You only need 2 tools in life: WD40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.
Trice
Austrian Alps

Tom230sl

« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2006, 10:57:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

Today I was taking my wife out for a drive down Sheridan Rd here north of Chicago for her birthday; nice sunny day; good day to skip the football game.  Not many of these types of days left for this year in this part of the country.  Any way met and passed a Pagoda with a dark color top on a white car.

cool. I grew up around there, North Chicago & Libertyville...

Tom230sl

« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:24 »
Trice,  so I think we would all relate better
if you included a photo (bikini) with your post!

oops wrong forum...  

kidding!

KevinC

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2006, 19:55:31 »
I was at my local Borders bookstore last Saturday and when I went to purchase a Barrett-Jackson magazine, the woman at the register said "you must like vintage cars". I of course responded "yes". She then went on to mention that she had a 1970 Mercedes SL convertible at home in her garage! I replied, what a coincidence as I have a 1967 Mercedes SL convertible. I gave Joan our site info and promised to stop by and take a look. Lo and behold, not 10 miles from me is another 670 light ivory 113. A gift from her son, no less!  

Download Attachment: Joan's 280 SL B.jpg
44.04 KB

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2006, 14:35:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by KevinC

I was at my local Borders bookstore last Saturday and when I went to purchase a Barrett-Jackson magazine, the woman at the register said "you must like vintage cars". I of course responded "yes". She then went on to mention that she had a 1970 Mercedes SL convertible at home in her garage! I replied, what a coincidence as I have a 1967 Mercedes SL convertible. I gave Joan our site info and promised to stop by and take a look. Lo and behold, not 10 miles from me is another 670 light ivory 113. A gift from her son, no less!  

Download Attachment: Joan's 280 SL B.jpg
44.04 KB

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Kevin, that link to the pic doesn't work

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

KevinC

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2006, 19:14:51 »
Didnt realize that the name of the attachment could not have an apostrophe.

-Kevin

Download Attachment: 280 SL Joan.jpg
44.04 KB

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2006, 09:43:39 »
I see a couple of 113s in Cleveland. One that I have worked on(I am a mechanic by trade) and a beautiful silver one that I saw going down Cedar Ave with the top stuck in the half open position. I wanted to flag the owner down and help but by the time I got turned around she was gone.

rhersberger

« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2006, 23:24:21 »
While walking in Santa Barbara this morning, I saw a black 280SL with hardtop as it passed me on the road. Seemed to be only in fair condition and did not have original black or blue California plate that is very desirable.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige

dwilli3038

« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2006, 20:25:44 »
when exiting a parking structure downtown Atlanta today I spotted a red 230SL with a front plate that indicated it was a 1964 model. Unfortunatly it was 5PM and cars were behind me so I was not able to stop and look at it......they were already honking because I looked for 30 sec.

Daryl
'64 230 SL Buckeye Benz Scarlet interior and Grey top Serial # 508
'77 280SE

rhersberger

« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2006, 23:10:47 »
Saw one for sale at Montecito Motors in Santa Barbara. It was on the show room floor, so I didn't get out to look at it.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'01 Jag S Type brg

rhersberger

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2007, 16:35:55 »
Last Saturday, February 17 was a lovely day for a drive with temperatures about 80F. For the first time in several years, I have the hardtop on mine, where I think it will stay until the rainy season passes.  My wife and I encountered a dark green, topless Pagoda in Montecito and it looked very nice.  Since we were traveling in opposite directions, we did not get a chance to meet.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'01 Jag S Type brg

France

• Silver
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2007, 17:52:06 »
Hi Guys,

Visiting my old home ranch in Sonoma, with a week of nursing preemie Nubian goat babies.   Noon Wed March 7, on a beautiful clear see-forever day, I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge to SF and saw a silver Pagoda coming northbound.  Couldn't catch the number--man driving.  Anyone on the forum??  It was warm enough for topless!

Trice
Trice
Austrian Alps

France

• Silver
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2007, 21:04:50 »
Oh dear, it's me again... Motoring down the coast from the ranch on Monday March 12--late morning on a beautiful clear 75-degree day-- at Rio Road and Hwy 1 in Carmel, we spotted a gold Pagoda with brown canvas top.  Not even 10 minutes later around the same area, we saw another gold Pagoda with hard top.  Could not have had time to change tops--clearly a different car, and yet I've never seen a gold on the road!  Next gorgeous clear day on our way to Big Sur, a 280 passed us other direction; the colour looked very orange-red, not Hellrot.  He Who Must Be Obeyed said the colour changed at some point in the 280 production...

Trice
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 21:21:34 by France »
Trice
Austrian Alps

rhersberger

« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2007, 18:06:52 »
It was a good weekend for car spotting: I saw a very nice white 230SL with tan interior, top down on Channel Drive near the Biltmore in Montecito on Saturday and a nice red over tan interior, hard top on, SL - probably a 280 - heading north on 101 between Carpenteria and Santa Barbara.  I was driving in the other direction, so it was just a glimpse, but it looked a lot like mine. Also, saw eight Ferraris, one Aston Martin and three Bentleys. Kept me busy rubber necking!

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'01 Jag S Type brg

KevinC

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2007, 19:12:06 »
I can't believe I missed a silver/grey car (hard top mounted) passing me in the opposite direction on Federal Highway in Boca Raton late this afternoon. It was only after I heard the two blasts of the horn(they obviously spotted me first!) did I look in the rear view mirror to catch a glimpse of the amber directional light lensed 113. Of course, I reciprocated with a similar reply!

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex
2007 Lava Gray Audi Q7

tuultyme

« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:47 »
Met a silver/grey car top off in Clearwater, FL on March 19 while on vacation.  Waved from the Chrysler 300C so he just gave us a strange look as we passed each other.  Need some sort of gang sign/wave to indicate aproval.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

Need some sort of gang sign/wave to indicate aproval.
As they say in the Guiness beer commercials, "Brilliant!"  We must be able to form some kind of one-handed "P", or flash a 1-1-3 with the fingers or something.   :D

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

France

• Silver
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:34 »
Hi Guys,

My last weeks in Sarasota...Home Depot yesterday, hellrot/black 1969 280 parked prominently in front of the store. Owner lives nearby,across 75 from me.  He was top-off and standing next to the car.  I zoomed in and parked at an angle in front of him, and his jaw dropped a bit.  We looked like a photo shoot and garnered lots of passing interest. He bought the car recently; it had been in a warehouse and its owner needed the space, so he sold it for $6000.  Looked in OK nick; new paint, little things missing; who knows what the internals are like.  It's a daily driver, not pampered. Certainly looked much better than the selling price.  I gave him the Forum card, so maybe we'll have a new member.

Trice
Trice
Austrian Alps