Author Topic: How often do you spot another Pagoda ?  (Read 506949 times)

isofast

Re: Poll - how often do you spot another Pagoda ?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2005, 04:12:55 »
I spotted a very nice 280SL at the upholstery shop. Like mine it was having a new Gahh top installed. Room for two cars at this shop nice to see it sharing garage with another Pagoda. Ken E B on the license plate. Anyone here?
Elmhurst city sticker.
 :)

First Place AACA Show Winner 350SL July 2003
I love low mile Mercedes.
First Place AACA Show winner for 2004 280SL
1969 280 4spd Papyrus White

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2005, 08:21:09 »
Since the thread is resurrected... a note on the '64 in Colfax I referred to earlier: still sitting in same spot (note the dates of the threads). Very sad it has had to endure lots of rain and snow. I hope somebody rescues it.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2005, 09:54:14 »
James,

What is the conditin of the car now?  Still worth $10K?

Louis
70 280sl auto red

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2005, 12:48:18 »
Hey Louis. Well, I have stopped and looked it over a few times in past year(s)... I doubt much has really changed but can't say for sure. These are the plusses: chrome (bumpers, trim, etc) looks to be mostly there and good shape. All-red tail lamps. Euro lights in good shape. The hard top is on -- looks to be equivalent to rest of car paint wise. I'd say paint is "fair to good" relative to your average car. Interior, if I recall is also average -- by no means thrashed where you'd say it needed to be replaced. These would be the minuses: probably not running (could be something simple or not -- who knows?). There is some rust in rocker panel areas, again who knows how severe. Its a pretty car from 10 feet.

So to answer your question: I have no idea! I'd say if rust doesn't scare you off, its worth 8-10 for sure. I'll be driving by again Monday. I can refresh my memory. (or even sneak a few digitals if anyone would like...

Disclaimer: see it yourself before you make an offer. My two cents may be worth about that much...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2005, 12:59:39 »
In Los Angeles the car capital for Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and all other exotic or not so exotic brands of automobilie I have to say that I spot lots of Pagoda SLs. they seem to be a popular classic that is easy to drive and yet maintains some exclusivity of presents of their owners, doctors, laywers movie mogals. Who knows quite a few movie stars as Heritage motor cars has leaked to me use this car for their drive to the studio lots.
I would have to call it a favorite next to the 1955, 56 & 1957 thunderbird.
Although the Mercedes-Benz SL is the number one popular car of sucessfull working women and men.
Bob Geco

hauser

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2005, 16:54:53 »
Not often enough. :(

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2005, 13:01:37 »
Well, two weeks ago, I took my car to Tahoe -- and didn't see a one (except my own of course...)

This week I went up again -- in my truck, not my car -- and I spotted three! Number one was a nice white California Coupe. (I left an invite to our group! Hope they look us up.)

Second one was a Nevada plate -- very nice red 230 with white hard top. That is a very 60's combo but looks really good to me.

Number three was actually a longshot -- I was cruising my sister's motorbike on a side street and spotted a car under a cover. The tail pipes looked similar to ours but were not chrome. Still, it drew me in. Then I saw MBZ bundt rims and stopped. I looked a little closer and spotted none other that the notorious FSVT! Dead giveaway. Tires were low and cracked -- so I am guessing it hasn't moved in a awhile!

Sorry to bore anyone -- but I really enjoy seeing other cars!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

TR

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2005, 14:36:06 »
James -- We drove 4,300 miles earlier this month (Boise-St. Louis-Boise, with some fun side trips).  Didn't see a single W113.  

I guess I rather like the increasing rarity of these cars.  I sure appreciated & enjoyed the recent photos of the 3 cars together there in your area though.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

n/a

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2005, 17:54:22 »
I have to go to Napa about once a month and I always check-in with this one 230sl.  It is white and sits in some guy's driveway under a torn and worn cover weighted down with concrete blocks - on the hood, on the top, and on the trunk. A sad sight...  The car has not moved for at least the last six months.

Louis 70 280sl red auto

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2005, 16:32:15 »
Waaaaaaah!  Never.  Carling is soooo lonely in Sarasota.  She cruises the streets, top on and A/C blaring 33 degrees in the 90-plus swelter.  In winter she takes her top off hoping to attract another W113, but no luck.  I've been told another red one lives in town, but I've never seen her. As I said in another post, someone is restoring W113s and putting them in his showroom, and when he sells them I never see them again.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 16:34:18 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2005, 17:10:13 »
I saw this one eastbound on on J.T.B. here in Jacksonville Sat. July 8th.  I snapped this photo with my cell phone.  I followed him onto A1A heading South through Ponte Vedra.  I don't know who it was. He had a Florida Antique tag and didn't respond to me waving from the window of my Acura. Rear badge said 280SL Automatic.  

Download Attachment: photo_018.jpg
4.59 KB

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

TR

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2005, 18:02:47 »
Ray -- That's a good one!  And your story sure made my wife smile.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2005, 13:48:10 »
Sorry folks -- had to resurrect this thread again. If anyone scrolls through this, I have spoken of a parked 1964 Pagoda that has just sat and sat and sat at a small-town gas station near me. Details of condition are in those posts -- and are strictly based on my casual observation. No connection to seller at all.

Today, as I passed it, I noticed it now has a "for sale" sign. 9K or OBO. Talked with the owner/mechanic for second -- claims it runs great but battery happened to be dead. A poor excuse really, since its a service station. Claims lots has been done to trans & engine. I have nothing to back that up but highly doubt it was anything nearing a true rebuild. I will say, however, this guy looks hungry to me. (read OBO)... If anyone out there is lurking from the Nor Cal region and wants to roll the dice, this could be an interesting bet. Happy to answer anything I can.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2005, 14:14:21 »
Depends on how much driving I do, but at least one or two per week here in the DC area.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230Sl-gas

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2005, 18:12:28 »
A whole bunch here in Seattle. My neighbor across the street has one and another I see parked a few blocks down. Down the street another guy has a blue one. Saw a red one, just like mine in Burien: I'd have followed her home, but she was going the other way and I didn't want to do a Uii. I guess - in Seattle - people have nothing better to do.

'69 280SL,Signal Red,113044-12-007537,tired engineer, West-Seattle, WA
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

PnHi

« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2005, 10:58:28 »
When I traveled 95 alot between Baltimore and Philadelphia, I would see one every once in a while.  A year ago I noticed a white early 250 sitting in a Volkswagon repair shop rear yard five minutes from my house.  Stopped in and was told it belonged to a small paint shop in the rear of the building.  Met the shop owner and was told it appeared in his yard a month or so earlier with a note to paint it.  He didn't have the owners number at the time and I said I would stop by later. I was interested because it was an earlier early European 67 250 and mine is a US 68.  It also had these wierd little front side lights (Italian?).  The shifter didn't have a knob on it, but shifting through the gears, yes,it was a five speed.  It sat throught the winter and was finally put in the shop in the spring.  I haven't seen it since. I think I'll stop by today.

Mike C.
Aberdeen MD

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2005, 11:37:17 »
Yes, the little round marker lights on the front fenders are the mark of Italy. Just ask Rodd M for more details on that.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

pcbenz

« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2005, 22:07:06 »
Here in Kansas, our Pogodas are farely rare.  I saw one, cream with the top down, hear in Wichita in late summer but no others here in a town of 500,000 population and 1.2 million in the 100 mile radius. Whenever I drive mine it draws a lot of attention.

PCBenz

quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

I thought it might be interesting to share our experiences - last week, I saw another (white) W113 on the highway, in regular traffic. A very rare site here in The Netherlands (excluding classic car events of course). I think that, by and large, I run into some 10 Pagoda's annually this way.

How is your experience in this regard?

1969 280 SL automatic

George Des

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2005, 08:46:11 »
On the way home from the Pentagon last evening around 5:40 or so on Rt 50 West right before Ft Myer, I saw a Blue 280SL heading west. Tried to pull along side in my Silver S430 --thought it looked an awful lot like Michael Eagen's car but couldn't be sure--yesterday morning here in D.C. was absolutely horrible with black ice everywhere so was surprised to see one out an about. Michael was that you?

George Des

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2005, 11:48:48 »
I had another engagement in Frederick, MD on the day of the Pagoda gathering at Tom's home.  On my way home I thought I might try to stop by Tom's to catch the tail end of the meet.  The beltway was really backed up heading into Virginia so I ducked down the Clara Barton Parkway to Chain Bridge to pick up the George Washington Parkway to Alexandria.  As I was heading up Chain Bridge road to the Parkway a dark red 280SL with matching hardtop and DC plates was heading downhill towards the bridge.  What a pretty sight!  That's the only chance sighting of a Pagoda I've had all this year.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

bjudd

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2005, 15:34:13 »
I live across the bay from San Francisco where I've spotted six or seven 113's in the last half year in my immediate vicinity including:  two forest green, brown, silver, yellow, white ones & a sweet 190 in the Montclair area of the east bay hills.  

The brown '70 280 belongs to a 80+  year old man who lives a couple miles from me.   This past spring when I was waiting to pick up my car I knocked on his door, introduced myself and we talked about his pagoda for a long time.  He drives the car regularly and loves it dearly.  His reflexes aren't great so he drives very conservatively and has had his top off only once in the last six years.  So, this fall when I offered to take him for a drive he marched straight to my car and off we went for a drive with the top down.   The faster we went the more he loved it.  His smile was from ear to ear and he had an ongoing "ooohhh" as we flew along.   We've had two more drives since then and I plan to keep it up come spring.

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2005, 16:00:45 »
There's one dark burgendy red 230 SL that is parked outside in a main street, downtown Amsterdam, during most of the year, for the past couple of years. I live not too far from where the owner lives and have seen the car drive through the city a few times. Sadly, the last time I saw it, about a month ago, I noticed the large center grille star has gone missing.
Aside from this one car, we very rarely see a Pagoda on the road here. I reckon my own car is the one spotted most frequently around Amsterdam, as I tend to drive it regularly year-round.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2005, 16:52:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by bjudd

The brown '70 280 belongs to a 80+  year old man who lives a couple miles from me...
bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

The original owner of my Havanna Brown 230SL bought it when he was in his 60's and kept it for 23 years.  It was only when he finally came to the conclusion that his diminished driving ability might put his cherished car at risk that he reluctantly sold it.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2005, 14:13:14 »
I was taking 'Snowy' (papyrus white 717, hardtop on) to an auto-electrican to have the alternator inspected (because of ignition light problems).
While I was waiting for a set of traffic lights to change to green, a beautiful top-down, maroon Pagoda zapped across the intersection.
As my car  was at the front of the queue, instant recognition was made.
We gave each other a friendly wave and smile. I have never seen that car around the city since.
The driver was a man in his late 30's. To my knowledge he is not a member of the local MB club.
I wanted to have a chat to him and let him know of this great web club.

The only other Pagoda I see regularly belongs to a friend from the local MB club.
He is a man in his mid 70's who drives his beautiful, restored, 1970 280SL Pagoda with a passion.

On club runs we often drive in front or behind of each other.

What a great sight to see a Pagoda in the rear view mirror!

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Dick M

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2006, 21:44:15 »
Visited San Francisco for a couple of days and spotted 7 Pagodas...
In addition to four pictured I spotted, in the Cow Hollow district, a red Pagoda with top off, red Pagoda top on and a cream Pagoda with a blk top.
Anyone we know?

Download Attachment: sf cow hollow.jpg
75.1 KB

Download Attachment: sf Ferry building.jpg
84.89 KB

Download Attachment: sf Mkt & Cal.jpg
81.61 KB

Download Attachment: sf sausolito BC.jpg
74.52 KB

Dick M
1970 280SL