Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806586 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2010, 22:53:53 »
First of all, I am so happy to have found this great Website and my thanks to all the fellow Pagoda owners for the wealth of information that they have contributed.
  I saw my first 230 SL in a parking lot near where I worked back in 1964. I immediately fell in love with the car and began saving every penny. I was 20 years old at the time. In the fall of 1966 I placed an order for a 230 SL (but due to the order’s timing was changed to the new 250 SL) and took delivery in May of the following year. Unfortunately after only having the car for a couple of months, another car made an abrupt left turn in front of me and the Mercedes crash worthiness was put to a test. No injuries resulted but the car was a wreck. After spending nearly two months in a Mercedes Dealer Body Shop, I got the car back but things were just not same. In June 1968, I ordered a 280 SL identical to the 250 SL (White with Cognac interior) and took delivery in September, trading in my old 250 SL. Most of the 70k miles that are on the odometer were driven during the first 8 years of ownership. After that came marriage, children and other life’s priorities and the SL became an occasional weekend car then eventually stored away in the Garage. Ten years ago I retired and we moved from Southern California to the central part of the state where we now live, towing the Mercedes behind our U-Haul. The car continued to sit until one day my neighbor introduced me to an independent Mercedes mechanic who really enjoys working on the old ‘Benzs. After spending a few months at his shop I got the car back and am happy to say she runs beautifully. Surprisingly the car was in great shape. Hoses, belts, braking system, clutch, exhaust system, fuel system, cooling system, heater control levers and tires were the main areas of replacement/repair. The car is rust free and has it’s original paint which looks as good as it did 42 years ago. The soft top is also original and was amazed to see that it is still in excellent condition after being folded up for nearly 30 years! Even the plastic rear window is still crystal clear. The interior upholstery is MBtex showing very little wear but unfortunately the tunnel carpet was damaged when the shifter bushings were replaced so a replacement is on order from GAHH. There is more work to be done but in the mean time, my wife and I feel like kids again when we are out driving our old friend.☺. A few pictures are posted on the “Photo Gallery” section of the Forum. Thanks for reading my “novel”.

49er
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77094 miles
7157 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #451 on: November 09, 2010, 01:05:21 »
49er
Thats a great story.  
As the original owner you are probably a good authority and source for what is original in a 280 and can provide photos of original items if needed.

Nice to see someone who made the good decision not to sell for all those years.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Hale Merced

« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2010, 02:54:36 »
Mark Passarelli here. Not exactly new here just relocated to Hawaii big island from AZ.  Have re-registered and set up my somewhat more casual restoration shop here in Naalehu Hawaii.  Free restoration advice and consultation as always so dont be shy. Good to be back.   I will post my new website soon, old wesite still up at www.ranchomerced.com  Mark

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #453 on: December 09, 2010, 10:11:40 »
Mark Passarelli here. Not exactly new here just relocated to Hawaii big island from AZ.  Have re-registered and set up my somewhat more casual restoration shop here in Naalehu Hawaii.  Free restoration advice and consultation as always so dont be shy. Good to be back.   I will post my new website soon, old wesite still up at www.ranchomerced.com  Mark

Lucky you - visited Hawaii in the 90's and it is among my top-5 favorite places on earth and a really great place for a Pagoda :-)

1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

GroovyTiggr

« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2011, 12:26:16 »
Hi Member,

Just joined this forum and it has made me already a lot wiser.
I'm from The Netherlands and just bought my first 230SL from '64. It starts, drives and the electronics seems to work (wipers, lights) but in need of a restauration. With your help I hope to fulfill this.

Regards

acoil

« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2011, 22:37:01 »
Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of a 1969 280SL (123,159 miles, silver with black interior).  This car belonged to my father, and it mostly remained in storage since his death in 1990.  My sister had inherited the car, and I just recently was able to purchase it from her.  I love the car, much in part to the sentimental value it has for me and my sister.  When we were young, Dad would take one of us for some "special time" on a cruise, usually on a summer evening with the top off.

I am very glad to come across this well-pollished site as I prepare to bring the old car back to life.  My participation here might not be much at first, but I did want to introduce myself.  As the spring comes, I look forward to diving into this project, and I am sure this site will become an invaluable resource.  I hope to meet some new friends as well.

Sincerely,

Aaron
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 19:11:20 by acoil »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:05 »
Welcome to all new members... remember, post a picture and receive Oooohs and Ahhh's!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

online_mercedes

« Reply #457 on: March 08, 2011, 00:13:32 »
Hey 113 Fanatics. My name is Mike and have been involved with Mercedes for quite a while. I've owned and worked on many 113's over the years but I have a special connection with my 280. I live in Santa Barbara and am always looking to get more involved with the Mercedes community. My wife Debrah drives an s280 and we've been happily married for 20 years. Wish you all the best in hopes of furthering the community through our social networks and interactions.

-Mike

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:02 »
Hello All,

I registered last July but this is my first post.  I’ve just sold a 69 Ferrari (do I hear applause?) that has taken much of my time since 1985, so now I have time to work on the 1967 230 SL that I bought in 1987 and have neglected since.  My lifestyle was “Work on the Ferrari / Drive the Mercedes”.  That’s the difference between vintage Italian cars and vintage German cars.
I’m a retired automotive engineer (retired from DaimlerChrysler in Auburn Hills, Michigan in 2001) and am now living across the St-Laurence River from Québec City, Canada.
I am really impressed with the sophistication of this web site and am looking forward to visiting the forum every day.  I expect that I will need a lot of help, so please be patient with me.
The SL was originally parchment with turquoise vinyl and has a Kinder seat.  I bought it with terrible quality medium blue metallic paint and I installed navy blue leather. 
By the way, TOMNISTUFF means to me, “Tom, interested in many things.”
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Witt

« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2011, 03:13:34 »
.......welcome to the club Tom, I am happy to see that recently more Canadians are signing up.
One of the greatest things about this website is that it is truly International: Where else can you get helpful advise from a member in Ireland, and another time dispense advise to someone in  Australia, and later help a guy in Tin Buck To with the installation of his starter......

Who ever is in charge here deserves the Nobel Peace Price, Why can't the leaders of our assorted Countries get along as well as we do.......?!

CHEERS !
WITT !

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:17 »
Welcome Tom.
Witt's right this is a great international group and a fantastic resource and help in restoring or just maintaining your Pagoda.
Mind you I may commit blasphemy by saying that a '69 Ferarri sitting beside my Pagoda would look nice.  I wish.
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

knockmacool

« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:15 »
 Welcome Tom and Mike

....... Where else can you get helpful advise from a member in Ireland...
Never confuse what an Irishman is saying with advice!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:40:45 by knockmacool »

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:07 »
Hello All,

I am new here, just joined.
A week ago I decided to start looking for a Pagoda anywhere in the US and have it imported to my country for a complete overhaul.
I have few questions about this car (my dream car), i will start asking on the forum.

Dan
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

Sableco

« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2011, 09:51:31 »
Hello Everybody
It feels great to be here.
My name is Basem, and I am from Kuwait. An electrical engineer by profession and married with four children (3 daughters and a son), I own 1973 280SE coupe (W111), and just bought a 1967 250SL in great physical shape, only one problem though the engine turns but doesn't start. I'm sure that I will get it running with help from you all and this site. My 280SE is gold color with light beige interior, the 250SL is a dark red with black interior.
Thank you all and kindest regards

Basem

Doubleclutch

« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2011, 17:00:49 »
Hi all. I just took delivery of my new 71 280SL. This is a newer Benz for me formerly I had a 1938 170V Cab A. I had to get something modern with boosted brakes, A/C and automatic. I'm 71 and had to giveup on the 38 with a bad right knee couldn't stop her. Also the US ethenol was kicking up a fuss.

Look forward to participating--I'm mechanical but with age, I pay for most repairs. I love the engineering and research of "whats wrong and how to fix it"

I have several other non-Benz collector cars. 

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #465 on: April 30, 2011, 21:48:30 »
Welcome to the group!
But a bad right knee should not force you to give up the 38.
Don't you double-clutch with your left leg?  ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:50:15 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #466 on: May 08, 2011, 22:04:07 »
Welcome to all new members... please join as a Full Member soon (see details here: http://www.sl113.org/membership.html) and post pictures of your car, whatever state it is in!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

B1Bob

« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2011, 16:51:23 »
Hi, my name is Bob. Joined today as a basic member. I have a '68 250SL, blue with parchment interior that I purchased in 1993. I am the second owner, the original owner was in Palm Beach, FL. I currently live in Arlington, VA. I use my SL as a fun car for sunny weekends and car gatherings in the local area. I learned about this website at Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, VA. Its Saturday mornings 7-9am and there are several 280SL most weekends.

Frank Mallory

« Reply #468 on: May 20, 2011, 23:19:18 »
Hi; Frank Mallory ... Jr. Age: 53. Some of you might have known my father, and longtime MB enthusiast and one of the founding members of the Washington DC area MBCA where he also served as Technical Director for many years.
   Much to my Dad's chagrin; I never really did get into classic Mercedes while he was alive (He passed in 2005) even though I had fond memories of riding in the back of his silver '67 250SL 5-Speed and also getting to drive it as a young man.
   Sooo... After years of pining for a W113, I just bought a '68 280SL 4-Speed. It's a nice condition car, but I WILL need your help and input on some aspects of this fine ride.
    Thanks in advance! 

Louis

« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2011, 01:51:14 »
Hi Frank ,

Your Dad was & still is well known throughout the Mercedes community. His 250 SL was a special car and has been discussed on this site more than once. Welcome aboard and good luck with your car.

StlCardFan

« Reply #470 on: May 29, 2011, 23:57:24 »
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on this site for awhile, but seeing as I have finally found my 280SL thought it was time to become a full member.   I live in Maine, but do get to travel to Holland fairly often for work as a tax advisor (there seems to be quite a Dutch presence on the site).  The web information has been really helpful in my selecting my car and I look forward to listening in as I try to learn more about it.

Thanks,

Geoff

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #471 on: May 31, 2011, 08:26:04 »
Welcome and let us know when you are in NL... I live only 30 mins (60 in traffic jams) from Amsterdam.

Peter

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #472 on: May 31, 2011, 22:08:09 »
Hello!

My name is Pawel. I live in Warsaw, Poland. I have been looking at classic cars for quite some time now. I have recently chosen to go for Pagoda as my first one. I think it is the one with modern enough technology to be smooth and old enough mot to be "plastic" like the next SL, the W107.

I am just about to buy my Pagoda. I have been viewing various topics on this site. It helped me tremendously before the purchase decision, especially the Technical Manual part. Helped me decode all the numbers I could decode from the plates, as Datenkarta is, of course, missing. She is 280 SL, 1970, German version, but brought to Europe back from the US. She used to be silver with blue leather upholstery. And so she will be again. I have a workshop lined up to restore her.

I am sure I will have thousands of questions and I count on your kind help.

Regards,
Pawel
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:36:10 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #473 on: June 01, 2011, 06:03:40 »
Czesc Pawel

There are a couple of places in Poland that advertise over here on the basis of being skilled labour at cheaper rates than the UK. And no doubt far more expensive than the place you have lined up!!

Congrats on your purchase
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #474 on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:01 »
Thanks!

The one I have is relatively new, but proven by a friend of mine who is a serious collector of classic cars. I do not think they advertise on this forum. We will see how it goes - lots of patience, lots of resources...

Pawel
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class