Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 818887 times)

julianmaba

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #425 on: June 21, 2010, 18:17:43 »
Hi All,

My fascination with older (pre 1973) Mercedes started many years ago in High School, where my best friend had a 1961 190SL, then later a 1968 250 SE (W108). We drove around Oregon for years in both cars. I was fascinated by the presence, quality and advanced design of the cars — and they made a life long impression on me. Not long after high School, I purchased a 1966 250SE fixer-upper — but I made the mistake of getting a car with rust, and was not the right car to restore (although I got it in top running condition). I sure learn't my lesson on that one!

Now, years later and at age 53, I have (some of) the knowledge, patience and commitment to enjoying a classic Mercedes again — but this time I plan to take my time to find the right one, preferably a 280SL (but can't decide — it may be a '68 - '72 280SE instead ... they are allot less money!) ... one that is either a solid all original or well reconditioned car. I especially love the mechanical injected engines (common to both the 280SL and SE), so smooth, and the unique engine sound they make is music to my ears (the "cammy" engine sound and exhaust note especially).

Hope to learn allot through this Membership, and perhaps get to know some of the members. I plan to have found the right car before end of the year (2010). I have one other classic car — a 1966 Land Rover Series IIa 88 (restored) — a very enjoyable car with lots of character!

Julian

Rolland

« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2010, 20:58:16 »
Welcome to the group!!

Rolland

Xenograft

A new Pagoda driver in Maryland
« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2010, 22:39:13 »
Hello Everyone,

I purchased my 1967 250sl a few weeks ago under the influence of a good friend of mine who is an avid and serious collector of antique cars. I have been obviously reading this forum for a while. My car is quite solid, but needs some cosmetic restoration, so this is going to be a learning experience for me. This is my first convertible and for sure the prettiest car I have ever driven. I also own a 1995 w124 (E420) - a very different animal.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #428 on: July 10, 2010, 22:51:59 »
Welcome to the group Xenograph, your comment that you plan some cosmetic restoration brought a knowing smile to my face, and I am sure lots of others here.  Thats how it always starts but there is something about the Pagoda that makes you think that you can make it look just that bit better and it becomes addictive.\
 ;)
enjoy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:33:06 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Xenograft

« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2010, 23:06:28 »
I have quite a few addictive passions already - I know all about it...

Bob Killam

« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2010, 20:33:53 »
Bob Killam
Westfield Ma.
     Joined yesterday,Rejoined actually,Owner of a white 68 250 with red leather,Car is A great runner and driven A lot,Car was one owner and was in heated storage for 15 years before I bought it,Now has 140000 on it and is tight as A fiddle,Did the Jaw thing to the side window today thanks to the advice found here.I have owned it for about 6 years now,I am the owner of A small machine shop and at 77 I still hang around here daily being A pain in the Butt,

gzmavian

« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2010, 21:47:13 »
Congratulations.  For us younger member what "is the jaw thing to the side window?"

DSRILEY

« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2010, 01:37:59 »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Dale and I just joined so I'm new to this site, but have owned my 1968 250 SL for about 8 years.  I believe I'm the 4th owner of this white-with-red-interior beauty, having been kept for it's first 30 years by a Chicago socialite who kept it as her summer toy.  When I bought it it had about 53,000 original miles and everything is original except the paint and top, which I just had replaced due to mouse damage while in storage last winter.  Due to the Illinois climate I store it at least 6 months every year from November to May, disconnecting the battery.  Every spring for 8 years now I've reconnected the battery, it starts with the first turn of the key, and the clock starts up again.  The clock usually loses a little time, but the fact that it still runs after 42 years is, to me, nothing short of amazing.  This year I had the radio restored to original condition by a firm out in New Jersey or Pennsylvania who did an excellent job.  I also had the dashboard wood, radio speaker grill and center console restored.

I know I have a rusting-out floorboard under the driver's seat which I'm hoping to have repaired soon.  I'm 55 and plan to hang on to this for the rest of my life if possible, then pass it along to my son someday.  I only drive it on the nicest of days, averaging about 1000 to 1500 miles per year maximum.  I'd really like to research the history of my car since everything I "know" is just heresay from the previous owner.  Though a good friend and trustworthy, he buys and sells many cars and I don't think he ever "bonded" with this one the way I have.  The paint job is ok, but someday I hope to have it stripped and give it a first class paint job.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2010, 09:05:32 »
Welcome to the group Dale, you'll find lots of things to research here... a good start is the Data Card section in the Technical Manual: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start. Also, post some pictures of your beauty!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Blue 280sl

« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2010, 16:37:11 »
Hi, My name is Robert and I came across a 71 280sl in a barn that had not been driven since 95 when the owner died. The son who I bought it from was never allowed to get near the car, and has never even ridden in it. I have restored several cars and look at this as the most challenging. I really like this forum and have allready spoken to some of you. Anyway, the son that I got this car from was afraid to even touch the car for fear his father would come back and spank that a**. The son is 58 years old. I traded a corvette for it, but I see a lot more potential in it than the 76 corvette that was restored. Hope you all get as big a kick out of this story as i did.

RonR

« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2010, 15:37:58 »

Hi, my name is Ron Russell and I live in Tulsa, Ok. I bought this 71 280 SL in the mid 90s and put about 30,000 miles on it before it broke.
Anyway I pulled the engine out and AM having trouble finding head rebuild parts. If anyone knows where to purchase valves and guides I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ron

dwhit417

« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2010, 13:24:52 »
Hello,

My name is Doug.  I live in Newnan, GA, about 45 miles south of Atlanta.  My wife is the owner of what I believe to be a 1966 230SL.  I started a post in General Discussion requesting help identifying it.  She has  owned it since before I met her and has been in the garage the whole time, except a couple of week period many years ago.  During that time I drove it and I rendered it undrivable.  The car was purchased by my stepchildren's (age 16 & 12) deceased father.  When I say purchased I mean it was actually traded for some land.  That's how we do business in the south.  I am hoping to restore it to drivable condition for them, but have limited mechanical ability.  I will probably spend a lot of time on here asking questions and seeking advice.  As stated in my other post I don't have a lot of money to dump into it and would like to keep it mostly original.  It has been partially restored already, requiring mostly engine work.  I am new to this and will try searching for answers before asking and would like to apologize in advance for any dumb questions I might ask.  Thanks.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2010, 09:51:41 »
Welcome all, and please post your questions. Hope your rebuild / restorations will be successful!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

wendyellis

« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2010, 15:07:19 »
Hello-My name is Wendy and I have just inherited my Dad's 1971 280 SL white exterior black interior. 
My Dad purchased this car when I turned 16 in Oakland, CA and drove it from San Rafael, CA to San Francisco every day for work. 
We then moved to Iowa and he drove it most of the year.  I just recently brought the car to North Carolina.  I am excited to now have my Dad's one and only hobby with me as my new hobby....a bit bitterweet. 
Looking forward to learning about the car my mom calls "the money pit"!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2010, 15:14:41 »
They always say you should listen to your mother :-\ Sorry to hear about your Dad. Bittersweet indeed

welcome. You do realise you have to post a picture. It's less so we can see it than to actually go through the right of passage of working out how to post one ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

rigi

« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2010, 08:58:55 »
Hi

Our 280 SL-69 was imported to Sweden from Holland 1976
2003 we bought the car from a friend who owned it since the import.
As I know it was originally white and repainted before 1976.
The first and only thing we replaced was the alloy wheels into standard wheels.
We enjoy our Pagoda and hope to meet some of you "out there" one fine day.

Richard & Kirsten

Here are some pics.

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:22 »
Welcome Richard.
Nice looking car - how many times have you caught your leg on the tail pipe.  ???
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

rigi

« Reply #442 on: October 02, 2010, 11:33:52 »
Thanks. The tail pipe is shortened and looks normal. :)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #443 on: October 02, 2010, 12:12:46 »
Is that a 906 paint code?

whatever it is, it looks stunning with the red interior! welcome
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #444 on: October 06, 2010, 00:42:40 »
Hi,

My is Alex and I 'm new to this whole Mercedes thing.  My wife and I inherited a 1967 250SL from my father-in-law.  Just starting to learn about the car.  It hasn't been drive for 3-4 years and is in the shop, the mechanic whose worked on this car in years past is really having a hard time getting it running.  Anyone have any suggustions for good 250SL mechanic in the Cleveland, OH area?

Alex D 
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

knockmacool

« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:51 »
Hi Alex

Welcome aboard to you and your wife. Try the ignition tour in the Manual (full membership required) or contact Joe Alexander (ja17 is his handle) in Columbus OH. Joe is one of the gurus on this website and hosts the biannual Pagoda University. Either way, the car should be up and running in no time

Drew

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2010, 14:03:25 »
Thank You.

Alex D
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

johnnymack

• Regular
  • USA, NH, Meredith
  • 70 280 SL Auto
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2010, 00:11:01 »
After 10 years of searching , I finally found my 1970 280 sl red w/tan interior, looking forward to chatting sharing stories, Have also found a fabulous mechanic.....I am father of three daughters all gone from the nest, and now I have the time to enjoy.....
JohnnyMack
70 280 sl auto

boxster2008

« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2010, 03:06:25 »

Hello everyone,

I have just become a member of this wonderful forum. My name is Bryan Johnson. I am 51 years of age, marrried with no children. I am a school principal in the state of Florida. I have loved the Pagodas since I was about 15 years of age. I have found the people associated with this forum to be incredible. I recently posted a request to drive a  280SL since I have not driven these cars in many years. I do not own one yet but I hope to in the next year or so. One of the members in Florida contacted me, invited me to his home and we drove his 1971 280SL. I look forward to gaining an education and the wonderful fellowship which comes from associating with like minded people.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #449 on: November 08, 2010, 08:37:18 »
*Ron - is that a Daimler Dart sitting next ot your Pagoda?
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper