Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 801991 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
New member introductions
« on: July 17, 2003, 13:26:47 »
In order to give new members an easy opportunity to introduce themselves (if they feel so inclined) here's a place to do so. Tell us whatever you consider interesting !   :)

Please don't use this forum for discussions, please stick to new member introductions. Discussions can be started here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?board=2.0

If you want to add yourself to our Pagoda Frapper map, you can do so on our this page:
http://www.sl113.org/services.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:41:58 by vanesp »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

peterm

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 10:48:05 »
New member new owner, 1971 280 sl dark red.  Was parked next to this sites founder at this past weekends MBCA NY "show"  The site and Richard Madison are a tremendous resource.   I was infected with the pagoda bug after seeing a 280 at the Greenwich concours several years ago.  Took me all this time to find the right car.  Pics will be appended as soon as my antique digital camera can be linked to my much newer computer.  
Also daily drive a 2002 carrera c4s and converse with that group regularly.  Very different personalities between porschephiles vs mercedesophiles

dwilli3038

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 18:42:52 »
Hello All,

Since this is a new club we are all new members. I think it would be good is all of us introduced ourselves. I am 55 years old and married with 4 children and 3 grandchildren. My three daughters are married and my son is still studying in Ohio. I live near Athens, GA for over 2 years now. I have had my Pogoda for a little more than a year. It is not yet running well, but with the help of some much advice from this site, I am sure it soon will run well.
I am an engineer by education and am director of Engineering for North America for a large Animal Phamaceutical company.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

Skitzerow

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 07:17:00 »
I just purchased a 1968 280sl Red with matching hard top, and convertible option.  Love the car.  Kind of bought it for my wife because it had an automatic.  I also have a 1969 MGB in pristine shape.  What a difference to drive the two cars.  They both have their place in style and ride.  My wife is content to just have it. I am more content to work on it and drive it.

I made one mistake though taking it home.  I did not do a complete check of everything before I started to drive it.  Two things I found after driving it for about 90 miles.  I started to hear a little wind which became a little louder.  I checked the differential oil to find it only had a quart or less of oil in it.  But the rear end is really tight, hardly no free play. Not sure the whining sound is the differential itself, but may be a bearing amplifying itself through the casing.  If anyone has ideas on the fix for this let me know.  This was the second time this happened, because my MGB rear end was bone dry when I brought it home.  Had to put new shims in it.

The second item I found was the vacuum hose for the distributor was unhooked.  This one was a hard one to find because it was under the air intake. I don't know if this could of done much damage to the engine in the 100 miles or so I drove before I discovered it.  It just seemed like the engine was running rough.

The third thing I noticed was between 60-70 their is a distinct vibration, and then at 80 it smoothes out again.  Don't know if it is engine harmonics on a worn engine (112,000 miles) or it is the drive shaft system.

I have major air-conditioning work to do on the hoses.  Anyone know where to get the best replacement hose deals.  And advise on how to charge it up.

Finding the vacuum hose was the best thing. It really smooth out the excelleration.

Not sure how this engine is suppose to idle, but it is quite rough at idle, but smooths out as soon as I accelerate or cruise.

My personals.  I am a Industrial/Mechanical engineer working in Sales and Marketing.  Just turned 53.  Have a nice wife of 30 years.  One son 21 studying Art Education, and my daughter 20 is studying Fashion Merchandising and Business in New York.

Back to the car.  You know I have not seen a good front hood in thirty years.  Todays cars are so curved for aerodynamics you don't see the hood in fromt of you.  It just looks beautiful to see that long in front of you.

Mercedes did a great job using regular shocks on suspension.  The ride is as good today, or better than my other cars, and I don't have to deal with struts.

I was used to getting looks from people in the MGB.  Even had a guy follow me for ten miles last week just to take a closer look.

But the smiles you get when you drive the 280sl around is awesome.  I don't know if they are just looking at the car, or trying to figure out if I am a movie star, politician, or just wealthy.  Of course I am none of these.  Just an average guy that enjoys the best of automobiles.

SDK

n/a

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 08:45:48 »
Hello, My name is John and I have just joined. I have purchased a  1971 280 sl with 38,000 original miles. I am a auctioneer here in the state of Maine.

john locke

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 14:13:15 »
My name is Rodd Masteller.  I live in Powell, Ohio, USA.  I am 36 years old, married, no kids, and work in the IT industry supporting and managing software at a steel processing company.

Regarding this group, I am the current Vice-President, a Board Member, and a founding member of this group. I also compile, edit, and publish the group's magazine Pagoda World with lots of help from other group members. (Thanks guys!)

In August 2000 I bought a 230SL which is #18381, built in Sept. 1966.  It's 124 Arabian Gray with 158 Gray-White hard top & hub caps.  The car has been thoroughly cleaned since this photo, so the color is not quite accurate.  Soft top is black, a cheap and torn aftermarket example.  Interior is 219 Natural Leather.  It was originally delivered in Italy to Carlo Riva, the owner of the Riva boat company.  It was imported to the USA in 1976.  Total miles are unknown since I have no records from Italy.  I drive it about 3,000 miles per year.  Nothing is really broken on it.  I've been replacing worn parts as time and money allows.

Download Attachment: Profile1a.jpg
71.33 KB

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 14:38:01 »
We are Lewis and Judy Eig, living in northern NJ, just a few miles north of the George Washington Bridge to New York City....so close to the big city, but it feels like we are in the country.  Judy's a financial consultant, Lewis is an engineer for a small electronics manufacturer.

As an avid Saab addict, we had toyed with getting another classic car, and I had to find something that was a convertible.  We had a Triumph TR-6 for a while, but it just wasn't refined enough...so, we finally determined the ideal car would be a 113...having gawked at many over the years.

We bought a very early 1964 car, had some neat features, but after a year of ownership, we found we really wanted a nicer car.  We looked into fixing up our '64, but decided to upgrade.  Early this year we found a car that had a fantastic recent paint job, great history, having belonged to the family of Donald Leap, the current president of the MBCA, all new interior, and great mechanicals.

and, here we are.

Download Attachment: small4-19-03 right front.JPG
61.4 KB

'66 230 sl 113042-10-016238
67 saab sonett II #43 of 258
99 saab 9-5
00 saab 9-3 viggen conv

Sphe

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 16:07:26 »
Hi! My name is Eugene Kolankowsky, and I have just recently joined this forum! I am currently attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Me and my father are restoring his 230sl that he had bought new back in 1964. My dad is quite knowledgeable in cars, me, not so much. But I am learning very quickly, and enjoying working on the car. This is a great bonding experience for me and my dad, and the car is coming along very nicely!

Gerhard

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 14:56:24 »
My name is Gerhard, I became a member of the W113 Pagoda SL Group in July 2003. In 1980 I saw a lot of these cars in St. Tropez (South of France) for a vacation. Fell in love with this cardesign instantly. Never had the possibility to aquire one until June 2003. Now I am the proud( :D ) owner of a 230SL.
I work parttime as a ITIL implementor with an insurance company and run my own consultancy business.
The car I own needs work which I will start this fall, as I started my career in the mid 70's as a car mechanic it should not be a problem. In those days I worked on cars older than the '65 230SL.

Gerhard
1965 230SL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 15:17:13 by Gerhard »

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 12:36:33 »
Thanks for posting your introductions!  They are good reading.

I just looked at the forums member list and sorted it by country.  Out of 300 people registered to use the forums, 66 have not identified a Country in their profile.  If you haven't updated your profile, simply sign on to the forums and click on "Profile" in the menu at the upper right corner of the page.  Enter any content that you feel comfortable sharing.  It makes it easier for us all to provide assistance when we know what part of the world you live in.  It also reiterates the International aspect of our group.

Thanks!

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 05:10:24 »
Bonjour a tous!!!

Buying a Pagoda was a dream come true, owning an antique car and driving something different, powerfull, convertible and so enjoyable: a MB SL pagoda!!
I am 31, from Paris but working for a French Bank here in New York. was infected by the antique car 31 years ago....and it took me 31 years to afford it...
Have always been into antique cars, enjoying the cars of some of my (much..) older friends in France (MB 600, Delage D8, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Pagoda, 280 SE 3.5 convertible, more Pagoda...!!
Thank God my parking is on my way back home...as I do stop to look at the car almost every day...(Is it a serious condition , Doctor??)
My (first) pagoda is an original silver (180G) 280 sl from 1971 with all original interior. I am the 4th owner of the car.
Looking forward to meeting as many SL owners in the coming events and share our common passion...

Fabrice
Silver 1971 280 SL
New York City

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 09:32:46 »
My name is Dana DuBois, and reside near Dallas, TX.

I have a 1970 280sl which was purchased 3 months ago as I've wanted one of these cars for years.  MY father owns a 1969 280sl which he's owned for twenty years (and I've driven hundreds of times) but he was unwilling to part with the car so I decided to find another.

The car is in excellent condition though I did replace the heater control levers within the first 2 weeks of owning the car.  This site was a good source of info while performing the replacement.  I know I saved much $ compared to my father that had them replaced by his mechanic.  

I look for forward to getting my father involved in the site.

Thanks for the invaluable information.

Dana

1970 280sl Ivory/4 speed
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Mike

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 15:32:25 »
Hi.  My name is Mike Hund and I reside in the U.S. in central PA, near Harrisburg.  I have a 1967 230 SL that I bought about one year ago on e-bay from a seller in FL.  It is signal red.  I could now write a book on how NOT to buy a Pagoda as I think that I made every possible mistake.  It has been in the shop since I bought it.  A couple of weeks ago, I gave up on the engine and sent the whole engine to Metric in CA for a complete rebuild.  This, despite about $6000 worth of receipts that came with the car showing engine overhaul work completed less than one year before I bought it.    I have gained a wealth of experience by reading this web site and other information on the internet.  Unfortunately, much of my learning came too late to do me a lot of good.  The one good thing about my car is that it looks pretty good, is fairly original and has no real (visible) sign of rust.  I hope to have it on the road by fall.  I appreciate the information available on this website.

Best regards,

Mike Hund
1967 230 SL, Signal Red

Michael L. Hund

bayleif

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 13:55:50 »
Hi Mike,
Welcome! I also bought a signal red SL from Florida on Ebay. Mine is a 1969 280. Sounds like I got lucky though, I've had my problems but nothing that severe.
I live in Annapolis Md. I know there are a couple of members in the 4 hour range; Washington, Philadelphia, N.J. Maybe when you get on the road we can figure out a reason to get together.

Chuck Bartlett
1969 Signal Red 4 Speed

n/a

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 18:51:54 »
Hello owners:

I just purchased a 1967 250sl Green from the Armour (as in meat) family, they are pretty well known socialites in Chicago where I lived for five years.  Car has been in Chicago for at least the last 10 years and was stored in the winter, so I am hoping for minimal rust problems.  I bought the car pretty much unseen and not checked out so I may be in a whole lot of trouble but the price was right.  Can I be diagnosed with some type of disorder for undertaking this journey?

Car does run and supposedly is original 60k miles, I am going to try to track down some receipts once I receive the car.  Hope that I can salvage a nice weekend ride, no need for a concours edition after reading the cost involved.

My background: I am 41 with a wife and a one year old boy named Astin.  Live in South Orange County where the weather is perfect 300 days of the year.  I am actively involved with the Aston Martin Owners Club and have been working with architects and car designers, designing showrooms for a number of major manufacturers in the US and Europe.  I manage a design studio in Southern California, where we create branded spaces and interesting outreach programs.  

I have owned a few MBZ sedans and currently have an 95' E Class which my wife drives. I like the cars for the drive, technology and dependability.

Look forward to getting the car in the next week.  This forum has been great in putting together a long list of things to look at, once I receive the car.  Hope to see you on the roads less travelled.
SMP

1967 250sl Orange Cty, CA

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2003, 08:07:30 »
Hi, there.  I bought a sight-unseen 1968 280 signal red automatic on eBay, and it was a real find.  I am submitting an article to the newsletter about buying it.  I live in a tiny village in France, Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the German Alps, the wine country in California, and Sarasota FL.  The 280 came from OK and resides in FL. I look forward to restoring her to concours (not far to go, the seller knew not what he had!) but my first task is to find new key blanks, which I think may still be available in Germany.  We went to Speyer this past weekend and saw the 280 that had 1.2 million kms on her--original owners are now in their 80s.  It was really fun!
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

n/a

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2003, 10:51:59 »
I just bought a 1965 230SL 1 week ago. As a previous owner of a Sunbeam Alpine Mk IV in Singapore, a Sunbeam Alpine Mk V & MGB GT in the UK, this is my first non-British car. The higher quality of engineering is very noticeable.

Although I have not yet had the chance to explore the whole forum site it is clearly better that the text-based mail list I had been subscribing to for the Alpine.

Great forum and I hope to learn a lot!

Tim

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2003, 19:11:50 »
I guess it is my time to jump into this thread. I purchased a 1967 250SL in April and have had a ton of fun with the darn thing. I did have to get some work done on it (new alternator, fuel pump, transistor ignition, fuel tank relined etc.) but now it is running like a freight train (a very good thing). I had a 107 for 12 years, and had always wanted a 113.

I am in NE Ohio, USA, and have a fabulous mechanic to keep all those little fine tuned things that need to be fine tuned, in proper alignment with the planets.

I am single, and work for as a Six Sigma black belt for an international chemical company based out of Cleveland. I have been a MB owner and club participant since 1986, with a 99 SLK, and 2001 E320 4 Matic ( and a new model Mini Cooper S) in the (over stuffed) garage.

I have learned a great deal from this club, and hope to learn more and participate further in the future.

Jonny B.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

n/a

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2003, 15:30:40 »
Hello.

I've owned my 1968 280sl for about 8yrs.  It's red exterior, with tan leather interior, and a 4sp.  It's a daily driver on mostly a freeway commute.  It's also a California car, so has almost no rust :-)

The car was burning oil when I got it, and the engine was of uncertain ancestry, but it ran (with some problems) until I blew a head gasket in late 2001.

I dug up a '71 280SE engine w/injection and did an engine swap early this year, and finally got it running well about 2 months ago (went through the sticky MFI piston problem, linkage adjustment, fuel injector cleanup, engine cooling problem due to too much retard and fan-shroud missing, etc). The new engine runs GREAT, so I have a bit of time to rebuild the old one.  Since then I've been slowly fixing all the little problems that it accrued over the years.  The next major fix is to rebuild the soft-top frame and re-cover with new canvas.

n/a

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2003, 11:39:06 »
Hello fellow members, and administration,

Under the recommendations of the technical director of the M.B.C.A. I have  decided to join my self , and a 1966 euro 250se to your web site . With two extra doors and a lot  more metal  surrounding  all the same basic  components  I know you can hep me, but I hope I am not the unwanted boring crasher at the sundeck party. This car middle metalic gray with red mb tex is a 4speed on the floor model , all original and a little worn but very nice. It's running very well and I put 2,700 miles on it these 14 months. it had 66,000 miles on it when purchased.  I want to get the fuel injection set up right, but I need to read more on it and get pictures, linkage specifications so I can ask better questions. thanks Richard and Mr Cees Klumper, for your emails.

from ''alex250se''

isofast

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2003, 22:25:35 »
I thought that I should post up. I just flew from Chicago to Atlanta and bought another 113 (my wife had a blue 1971 280SL when we wed) a 1969 280SL four speed, papyrus white with blue MB Tex. It is the strongest running 113 I have driven, I drove almost non stop through the mountain's and the car did not burn a drop of oil! The only option's a left outside mirror and a radio delete plate ( I keep it in glove box, there is a Europa Becker in dash) I just sold my 23000 mile A.A.C.A. first place show winner to a large Chicago collector. I am very busy right now but I will post some picture's soon. I hope to restore this 113 to a respectable level, however I am thinking of not turning it into a show car because I love to drive it so much, I dont want the worry of show paint! I do most of my own work, but leave the auto body work for someone who does it for a living. I think this site is the best thing going for a 113 owner. Can anyone steer me towards a parts catalog I need some trim and engine part's to start my restoration, thanks
Ernie Burchall surffing@comcast.net 847-295-2749

First Place Show Winner 350SL This SummerI love low mile car's.
1969 280 4spd

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 09:08:13 »
Hello, my name is Paul, i joined this site because it looked so interesting. I don't have an sl yet but am seriously looking for one. I already saw a lot of cars but many are in bad condition. I'm sure i will find the "one" some day. Greetings to all of you.

n/a

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 10:40:39 »
A quick intro. as a new member of the Forum. I live in Cognac, France where I am retired. We own a MB E300TD for long (fast)European trips, the wife has a series 4 Golf and I have an 1969 MGC GT for social rallies and a 1968 Austin Moke which is used daily to collect the baguettes.

The MG is strong and a great touring car but is a coupe and with recent temperatures in the 100F (unfortunately during a couple of social rallies), I like the idea of the choice of hard top with or without A/C or a soft top for in between.

Other interests are golf and oenology (sp?). Did you know there are 350 million litres of Cognac ageing at any one time and that evaporation is about 2 percent. That's the equivalent of 17,000 litres a day - no wonder an evening walk sees me coming home with a grin on my face.

As soon as I find my dream (a 280SL), I'll be sure to let you know.

George Simpson
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:41:26 by n/a »

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2003, 12:33:23 »
Hello Group,

Sorry to interrupt this enjoyable discussion thread with "business", but I have two friendly request of forum users.  In the menu in the top right corner of this screen, you can click on "profile" and enter information about yourself.  This is all voluntary, nothing is required.

1.  I would like to see more people simply include their nation of residence in their profile.  Currently, 77 of 325 (23.7%) members of the forum do not designate this.  It would be good to include this for several reasons, two of which are:
- It helps people answer your questions with regards to local laws, local parts or service suppliers, shipping questions, local events, and other issues.
- It helps those who operate the W113 Pagoda SL Group to get a better feel for the demographics.  We can better provide local services (social get togethers, car meets, driving events, parts swaps, tech sessions, etc.) if we know where the members are.

2.  Use a signature.  Often times people will ask a question and not include basic information, as in do you have a 230, 250, or 280 SL?  Is it a manual transmission?  Don't hesitate to describe your vehicle in your signature, it will be posted every time and you won't have to remember to include any of the basic info.

I hope everyone is enjoying the web site, we're glad you chose to belong to the W113 Pagoda SL Group.

Thanks,

Rodd
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2003, 12:13:09 »
Hello everybody, My name is Timo Ala-Heikkila 36 years old and I am living in Finland. I bought 230 Sl -66 from New York 1995. Now car is fully restorated except interior which is under construction. I found this web site only week ago so I am new member.

Kind regads
Timo