Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806721 times)

talisanman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Cypress
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2009, 21:22:36 »
Hi

Recently acquired my first 1966 230SL at a garage sale of all places.  Second owner with about 100,000 miles on the odometer.  Current owner repainted the vehicle back in 1977 to black, and subsequently redid the interior to a medium brown color.  Just received the data card which indicated that the original exterior color was white grey (158) with a creme (121) interior.  Original color was confirmed in the engine compartment, where parts we're not painted.  Looking to bringing it back to original interior and exterior color scheme.

Cheers

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2009, 09:42:30 »
And welcome to you too, and please keep us up-to-date on your progress!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

katie

« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2009, 22:44:36 »
Hi I am new to the site.  I live in Chislehurst Kent, UK (South East London).  I am going to view a 250SL pagoda on saturday, as I have always wanted to own one (not necessarily a 250SL, but this one looks immaculate!  It is £45,000.  first of all, it supposedly needs nothing doing to it.  I test drove a 280SL last weekend, but was not sure of the drive.  I feel like I need to drive a few more to make up my mind! I love the looks and the feel of the pagoda, but the 280SL (auto) I drove, was very clunky and seemed to take ages to change gear! 

Few questions, is the 250SL the one to buy, as I spoke to Roger Edwards (Gavin) in Wimbledon, and he said definitely go for the 280SL, but other people say that there is not much difference in the two engines.  Can someone with knowledge tell me what the good and bad points are for buying a 250SL?

Am I paying far too much money, if I do buy it? I know the 250SL was more rare than the 230SL and 280SL, but prices vary enormously.  My husband and I have no knowledge of these cars, it would be our first classic! Any advice would be helpful, before spending large sums of money!

We would obviously get Roger Edwards to give it the once over if we liked it!  I think they did a lot of the restoration work on it.  Has got a fair bit of paperwork with it, and lots of bills for recent work.

Help please!

Thanks Katie

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2009, 23:54:00 »
Welcome Katie,

For the equivalent of nearly $65,000 there are plenty, and should be, nice 113's around.  Don't buy the first one, look carefully, and learn a lot before you take the plunge.

You should be able to solicit some private help, even if it costs you a bit--money well spent.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dtuttle123

« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2009, 01:26:12 »
Hi Katie & Welcome!

I have a 4-speed 250SL, and really enjoy it - but as Michael said - take your time & look around.  The debate between the 230SL, 250SL and 280SL is a religious debate with many great opions - search the forum on this - and you will find pages of pros & cons.   This is a great network, and when you do buy...remember, you are not the owner, just a 'steward' of a classic!

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:30 »
Hello Katie, & Welcome,

The asking price sounds very high end dealer!!

Have a look at this link for more choice of private cars as well:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_cars.php?make=31&keyword=pagoda

Happy Hunting,

naj
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2009, 14:48:44 »
This topic provides hours of entertainment on the merits of the 230 versus the 250 versus the 280 SL:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8495.0

My advice: just buy the best one you can afford, whatever the model! Note that this does not equate to: Buy the most expensive one you can afford. If there's someone who lives by that rule, contact me and you can buy mine if you have enough money ;) !

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Douglas

« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2009, 20:01:06 »
Katie, there are decent arguments for each of the three models, so I wouldn't say it's a black & white issue.

Maybe another way of looking at this is asking yourself what kind of car you like driving.... do you want an a/c and autobox kind of experience or a more austere, driver's car? And that's just the most basic question. There are many more. You can configure these cars so many ways that even within the 3 models there are many variations.

Regardless of which model you purchase, you've clearly budgeted enough to find an excellent Pagoda. Please keep us posted.

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:05 »
Hi,
My name is Mark. I just bought my first Mercedes !!! My Dad drove them way back when, and I drove his 280 SEL 4.5, but this is my first Mercedes. It is described in my signature. I am obsessed with cars and the Pagoda has been one of my dream cars as far back as I can remember. I found a very original, interesting car .... but it doesn't run, so I have my work cut out for me. I know, all of you are shaking your heads, but, it comes from a relatively trusted source and I've been around cars for a long time. I've had my '68 SS396 Convertible Camaro for 32 YEARS !!! It was my first car (bought in '77). I've had an '85 911 turbo for about 12 years. ... blah blah blah ... I'm only trying to explain how obsessed I am with cars. I have a wife and two young daughters, so it is nearly impossible for me to find time to work on them. This website is fantastic. I've read a bunch of it and I appreciate the time everyone has given to put it together. It is a real treasure !!! I'm afraid, based on my car, I'm going to be a big user of the site... The car is so beautiful, inside and out, it just doesn't run, YET. Anyway, thanks for reading this. I hope to drive to the Ohio event in July. At this point it is just a dream .... but, dreams CAN COME TRUE.
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Douglas

« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2009, 03:04:02 »
Welcome, Mark. Thanks for sharing your story. Actually, a Pagoda in decent shape that doesn't run could be a very smart buy considering that's the easier part of the equation to fix. I'm sure I speak for the group when I say I'd love to see pix of the car. (And by the way, a gray soft top is considered rare.)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2009, 03:29:15 »
I'm completely thrilled that the 741 soft top is considered rare. I didn't know that. I bought the car from the original owner. Original data card. Soft top allegedly had never been up before I checked it out. It look like it had never been up. I just can't wait to get it running. I was shooting for the very smart buy. Hopefully that will prove to be true. Since I can't drive it, I'm limited on pictures. So, I will try to attach one from when I was checking the car out (pre-purchase). Please note: There is 3 years of dirt on the car...
Mark

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2009, 18:04:00 »
That's a lovely car.  Does it have a hardtop?  How did you come by it and why is it not running?
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2009, 18:25:29 »
Thank you !! It was a friend of a friends car. Been sitting too long. That's why it won't start. At the very least, fuel pump is gummed up (I brought 12V right to the pump). It has a matching hardtop. I took it off that day to check out the soft top. All will be good once it runs. After the fuel pump there could be a 1000 issues .... or I just drive off into the sunset. Wish me luck.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2009, 21:24:26 »
I hope that new member JMVSL will come and introduce himself here!

I just spoke with him on the phone; he's in Michigan, too.  He's a relatively new member here, as well as with the MBCA.

JMVSL has a most interesting vehicle: a mostly all original 1965 230SL.  From his father, the car lived most of its life in El Salvador and is Euro spec, with very low original mileage.  I saw the photos and they are astounding.

Hopefully we can convince him to come on down to PUB this summer!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

twinoakchef

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2009, 04:51:50 »
I just picked up my 1970 280 SL. She is going to need a lot of work. The previous owner had strip she down to the chassis; which is what I had wanted to do.
I also own a 1971 280 SEL. For the past three years I have been restoring her to a reliable daily driver. Everything that I learned, I will apply to the SL. I plan on rebuilding or replacing everything. The only thing I think I will change is the color. I really do not like red. I was thinking blue, green, or gray. The interior is black. The previous owner did a poor job of storing the disassemble parts. This is my first job. Organize everything. I am very excited about the challenge of this project. I will post some pictures soon. 
I look forward to the excellent information that I will be able to access from this forum.
twinoakchef
68 280 SE coupe
70 280 SL
71 280 SEL - RIP 5.28.2010
08 R320 CDI

pouch

« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2009, 14:41:34 »
Hi I'm Martyn,

A new member, although not a new car. We have had a 1968 280sl in the family for around 30 years.
It's actually my mums car, but she no longer drives, the car needs a bit of cosmetic attention and currently has a problem with a Hissing brake servo, but is fine.
I know the history from long back.

Plan is to get the car running sweetly and take my mum on a car rallly as her driver so she at least gets to enjoy her car!
I have a bit of a car habit already, so want to sort her car out.

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2009, 18:27:35 »
Hello Martyn,

Welcome to the group. You can find lots of information about your car in this forum.
Could you post a picture of your car?

Martijn

P.S.: Nice to see a member with a similar name  ;)
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2009, 22:40:13 »
That's a lovely car.  Does it have a hardtop?  How did you come by it and why is it not running?
FYI: NOW IT RUNS !!!. I need to do a few more things before I drive it. I'm hoping for this week, but you know how that goes. Having the engine  start, run, and idle smoothly eliminates about a thousand variables for me. I'll have to change my avatar after my first drive !!

pouch

« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2009, 12:20:26 »
Picture of the car next to my Alfa Giulietta Sprint Coupe.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:22:05 by pouch »

Douglas

« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2009, 15:22:56 »
Picture of the car next to my Alfa Giulietta Sprint Coupe.

(You must be a big fan of "Two for the Road.")

pouch

« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2009, 13:38:27 »
I appear to be getting a bit of a car habit..!

Well money in cars is actually safer & arguably a better investment that putting it in a bank!
Certainly an Icelandic bank  ::)

Faber

« Reply #321 on: April 10, 2009, 16:53:39 »
Hi - Very informative site - New member from Tx Hill Country - I drive an 87 560sl w/ 70k mi and have been infected with the Pagoda bug - have driven & am looking at a 66 4 spd 230sl Euro for sale 10miles from my house and comparing hands on experience on that sl with the wealth of info on this site - hope to post pics of "a new pagoda" as soon as practicable...Thanks again for all the expertise and interesting insights.  Tom G.

pasfat

« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2009, 16:10:08 »
Bonjour à tous

A new member from the Normandy in France. My pagoda is a 230sl from 1965, whith AT and PS ( rare options in Europoe at this time)  France was the 2d market for the early W113, and consequently there are any pagodas to see on french roads
And we are proud about monsieur Paul Bracque!
A good reason for you to visit us (in addition our food and wines are acceptable...)

knockmacool

« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2009, 17:23:59 »
Welcome to both of you! I only joined late last year and have found the site useful, informative and yes, entertaining. Pasfat, I can indeed attest to the beauty of Normandy and have had the pleasure of touring thru it in an old convertible ponton. There are few better things than a picnic in Normandy! Tom, a good friend of mine once had a 560sec. We were in London one evening and found there were seven of us and one car. No problem, we put my wife and her best friend in the boot (trunk) and off we went. First seven seater coupe on the market?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 17:41:40 by knockmacool »

marco1962

« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2009, 13:15:40 »
Good morning to all.
My name is Marco and I write from Italy.
I have a MB 230 SL built in february 1965. Having to do other restoration work for my 230, I found this site and this forum really special seriousness' and skill ! My compliments.
I will not mention too much in the presentation..so as not to bore you..and especially in respect of my "novitiate".
I hope to be an element of contribution to the forum in the future, at least as they are you already been to me.
A cordial greeting to all.