Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806627 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #950 on: July 27, 2016, 11:57:42 »
Welcome Doug to our Pagoda SL Group you found the right place we are an International Group here and your great story is also International for you Dad purchased your car in Germany, he never let it go and now it is yours, you are a fellow Canadian living in the USA.

We look forward in following your story of full restoration (as you mentioned she will be looking like new like your Porsche) :) Start a thread of restoration and post some photos along with it, many of us look forward to it.

If you have not found it yet, you can find videos ...

Click here -----> http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/Video

There are a few more members here that originally purchased there Pagoda and still have it. You will meet them as time goes by here or read about them here in this thread that contains many wonderful stories like yours that Cees Klumper started 13 years ago.

Welcome!

Dieter
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 23:44:25 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Challenger_7

« Reply #951 on: August 03, 2016, 21:23:24 »
Hi all

I am new here, and already feel impressed by the contents of this site and the group.
I am also new to Pagoda, where I purchased a 1967 250 SL a year ago and have been restoring it since then.
Almost done with the work, minor issues left.

I have always wanted one to add to my classic cars and was looking to own a 280 SL. But a friend told me about the 250 saying it is in good shape, but has no soft top. So I thought fine, I will buy it, fix whatever is needed, polish it and sell it, and keep the money and profit for the 280, whenever I find one.

However, as I started fixing the car and researching it, it sort of got under my skin, especially that not many 250 cars were produced. So dug into it and did a ground up restoration except for the engine which seemed in excellent shape. Of course did all that needed to be done to the engine apart from stripping it down.
Full paint job plus new leather seats, door panels, leather for the dash and back, and carpet set all imported from USA, where the car originally came from, imported to Lebanon where I saw and bought it.

The car looks absolutely graceful and beautiful and is very sweet to drive.

As for me, I am an auto engineer by education, studied in UK (London), and now living back in my home country, Lebanon.
One of my best exercised hobbies is collecting and restoring classic cars, and have managed to keep a bunch so far, from Mercedes cars, British (Aston, MG, Jaguar), Various American Muscle with 3 modern cars for daily & week end use.
You can see some of them on this site ( http://www.cardomain.com/id/challenger_7 ) although I never updated it.

As one of the members mentioned that he passes by the parking to see his Pagoda, my garage is exactly half way between my residence and office, and on most days I stop by the garage to do one thing or another before going home, or simply get the dust off.

Happy to be part of you all.
Cheers

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #952 on: August 03, 2016, 22:18:12 »
Hi Farouk,

sorry for the mess up on your registration. Glad to see you are in. Beautiful car... stick to the 250 if you are happy with it. The 250 is much better appreciated on this site than a normal, run of the mill 280.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Challenger_7

« Reply #953 on: August 05, 2016, 13:21:01 »
Thank you Peter for your welcome note as well as your help for registration.
Yes, finally it worked after Dieter's suggestion to delete previous browsing history :)

I do agree with you about the 250, and that is what impressed me about it and what made me dig into restoring it.
I still have a few snags here and there and should be driving it frequently soon.

Thanks again for your welcome and support.

Cheers

singalredbenz

« Reply #954 on: August 14, 2016, 13:36:56 »
Hi All,

I'm considering a Pagoda purchase for my family.  Love these cars.  My father-in-law's original 1968 SL 280 is for sale from his nephew.  It appears to have some great bones, but I'm not sure if we're getting in over our heads.  Minimum rust is present, some unfortunate amounts in the hard top, however, all other pre-purchase inspections seem to pass.  Will let you all know what decision we come to and if it winds-up in our garage, I'll be looking forward to using this excellent resource most frequently.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting some of you.

Kevin

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #955 on: August 14, 2016, 14:40:28 »
Welcome Kevin,

Start a new thread if you like with some photographs members here will help you make the right demission.

Good luck,
'
Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

JonathanB

Newbie in SoCal
« Reply #956 on: August 19, 2016, 00:49:42 »
Hello Everyone,

I've just joined a couple of days ago and I want to introduce myself.  I've been an MBZ nut for a very long time but only just bought a W113.  It's a 1966 230SL Euro in reasonable condition for its age.  The car is in need of some TLC before it can get back on the road.   It had been stored, improperly, for many years and while the body and interior held up, the fuel system did not.  I'm needing to replace the fuel tank and the rebuild/replace the fuel pump before I can see how everything else is working.  I just ordered a set of Hankook Optimo H724 tires for it from Tire Rack in size P175/75R-14. 

Jonathan B
Los Angeles, CA

Current fleet:
2003 Crown Victoria CNG
1999 S420
1995 E320 Wagon
1971 280 SE 3.5 Coupe
1970 Mustang
1966 230SL Euro

In Memoriam:
1983 Supra (stolen)
1975 250C (sold)
1970 250 Sedan (engine fire)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #957 on: August 19, 2016, 02:54:25 »
We will all love to read about the recommissioning process! Other than than brown tires, looks pretty good.

From one Jon(ny) B to another.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Gmp280SL

« Reply #958 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:45 »
Hello All,

I am a new member. Just bought a second owner 70 280SL with 35,000 original miles. Super clean little red car with two tops and black interior. I really bought it for my wife as I'm too big for the car at 6'8''. The car is an Auto Trans with A/C. I need to get a few things fixed up. The car has only been driven 1000 miles in the last 15 years. Although the owner did have the oil changed annually. I need to get the dash wood redone. Any suggestions with this would be appreciated.
I'm a real car enthusiast. I have roughly 16 classic muscle cars, mostly Pontiac GTO's and Mopars. All are convertibles. I also have four Challenger Hellcat's. I've always loved the 'Pagoda's' since I was a kid. Happy to have one in the barn now.

George

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #959 on: August 25, 2016, 01:27:55 »
George,

Welcome!   35k miles!  that's highly unusual.    Having 16 Convertibles you are probably very experienced about cars.

For the wood, if you want to send to California, Madera Concepts has done lots of old Mercedes.   I have seen one of the Mercedes they show on their site in person.  It's the 220se done in birds-eye maple that they say was Marylin Monroe's car.  I have seen this car and met the owner at a cars & coffee a couple of times.  The woodwork is phenomenal.   

http://www.maderaconcepts.com/

Best,
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Challenger_7

« Reply #960 on: August 25, 2016, 11:06:42 »
Welcome George!
I too have recently joined the group and a one year old owner of a Pagoda, which I have always desired.
I found a very clean 67 - 250 SL which I restored, as I like all my cars looking brand new.

You and I share the muscle car bit as I too have a nice classic collection with a few G/M and Mopars in my Garage.

For the wood, whilst mine was restorable but the cost would have been close to buying a new set. So I bought my new dash, or rather the wooden part that sits on top of the dash - just below the window and includes the speaker grill, from Madeira concepts too. I also bought a new console as well as the wooden frame that goes around the rear window from inside.
Absolutely wonderful stuff, and arrived to Lebanon (Middle East) without a scratch.

See attached photo which is not too good, but can show the quality of the wood.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
New member in Georgia
« Reply #961 on: October 05, 2016, 19:17:12 »
I have looked at the Pagoda SL website as a guest, several times over the last couple of years and just recently became a full member. I am really impressed with the contents and the excellent contributors that make this effort really something special.

I have been a car nut all my life starting with building a channeled 1931 Model A to run on the street and as a B Altered at the drag strips in Iowa.  It was Buick powered with a Packard 3-speed transmission, built for a total cost of less than $600 and ran the quarter mile in about 14 seconds in 1958.  That was followed by a short wheelbase A-Gas Dragster, built for less than $1200 that ran the quarter at about 150 mph and in the low 9 seconds in 1961.

Life followed that with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then 5 years in the US Air Force followed by a career as a pilot with Delta Air Lines.  I have had several interesting cars and then a few not so interesting.  1949 Hudson, 1955 Chevy V-8, 1963 Volvo P-1800. 1963 Renault Dauphine, 1962 Chevy Corvair, 1963 Karmann Ghia, 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 1968 VW Squareback Sedan, 1970 Pontiac Lemans, 1975 Lancia Beta, 1980 MB 300D coupe, 1980 BMW 735 5-Speed, 1990 Infinity Q-45, 1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed and now a 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I have done most of the maintenance work on all these cars over all these years, even when most everyone else just takes their car to the shop.

My 1980 MB was picked up new, at the Factory in Singlefingen and driven all over Europe before it was shipped home. Wonderful.  My second MB is a 1971 280 SL which I purchased in 2001 with about 155,00 miles, a great paint job and lots of rust holes in the floor. If I had been really knowledgeable I would not have bought that car with all the rust problems but the price was right.  After getting the 280SL, I took care of the mechanical and safety items, tires, hoses & belts, made temporary patches to the holes in the floor and enjoyed the car for many years.  Finally in 2014, I decided to start a limited restoration which quickly changed as I found that the entire floor and side rails had to be replaced.  I am fortunate that I do have a large enough basement garage to contemplate such a big project so I started taking the Pagoda apart.

While I have have a lot of experience with the mechanical parts of cars, I really had no experience in body work and other skills needed for a complete restoration. However, I blindly proceeded with the project.  After a course in MIG welding and basic metal work, I was somewhat ready to start the restoration.   I quickly learned that a rotisserie was required to do the work necessary on the underside of the car.  I found a used rotisserie that I adapted to the Pagoda and that really helped with the effort. The side rails are now completed as is part of the floor.  I am now about 60% complete with the metal work and hope to get the body out for media blasting and Epoxy primer in the next few months.

I know that I will need the combined expertise of the members of this group to finish this effort and I would like to thank you all in advance.

I am enclosing some photos of my car when I first put it on the rotisserie and then some current photos of some of my progress.

steven harris

« Reply #962 on: October 05, 2016, 21:22:36 »
Hello, I am a returning member - sold my 280SL about 5 or 6 years ago and just returned to the fold with purchase of a 67 250SL. The 'new' one is a one owner, US delivery 5 speed with 50k miles. One repaint in original silver by Rudi Koniczek earlier this year. Interior (including carpets and wood) all original - color is blue Tex. Canvas top never up, tools still in factory wrappers. A/C, Power Steering. All documentation including cancelled checks and order correspondence, service records, books, manuals.  Just fetish-sorted by Rene Luteraan in LA. Car will live in Palm Springs. SOOOOO happy to have another Pagoda. I know it is a matter of taste, but for me the early 250SLs are perfect - the spare simplicity and lower seats of the 230SL with the stronger motor and brakes of the later cars. If I figure out how to post pictures, I will try.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #963 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:07 »
Howard - wow, that's a serious rotisserie - makes for great photos.   The work looks really nice. 

Steven H. - gotta ask what others are thinking - is your 5-speed a ZF that came with the car originally?   Either way, it's very very nice to have that extra gear.   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #964 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:00 »
Welcome all...

looks like a serious rotisserie...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

steven harris

« Reply #965 on: October 06, 2016, 11:18:09 »
Howard - wow, that's a serious rotisserie - makes for great photos.   The work looks really nice. 

Steven H. - gotta ask what others are thinking - is your 5-speed a ZF that came with the car originally?   Either way, it's very very nice to have that extra gear.

Yes. It is on the original order and the data card. I just posted a copy of the pink paper that Porsche calls a Kardex on the General Discussion forum.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 15:07:54 by steven_H »

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
Transmission & other stuff
« Reply #966 on: October 06, 2016, 14:31:49 »
Sorry, it is a 4-speed manual not the elusive 5-speed.  I have no history with this car.  Based on the chassis number, it was manufactured in September of 1969.  However, it was titled as a 1971 280SL so it may have stayed with a dealership for a couple of years. It started life in Tunis Beige. 462 H and was repainted a Gold metallic at some point in the past. Nice paint job on the exterior but on closer examination a very bad restoration attempt, really just a rust coverup.  I plan to paint the car Signal Red for the next life and stay with the Cognac interior color.

It had a standard 4.08 rear axle with the 4-speed, and I considered the 6-speed transmission from Poland for this rebuild but it got too pricey.  I have picked up a 3.27 axle from a 280SEL 4.5 that I think will make the car quieter on the highway. I plan to drive this car so for Georgia it will have to have AC.  I have looked at the air conditioner that Bud's Benz sells, any comments.

I used K & K Manufacturing for all of the replacement floor and rail pieces.  Good quality reproduction parts but they still require a bunch of work to get the installation right.  It would go faster if I was not so particular.

Howard

JAubrey

« Reply #967 on: November 10, 2016, 01:39:47 »
Hi Everyone!

I’m back after a long time away. I had a 1968 280SL about 10 years ago and even went to Blacklick and met some of you guys back in 2008.

I’ve got a new project now, a very original 1970 280SL which I am in the process of dismantling and documenting…very slowly. I plan to take it apart and put it back together over the next 2 or 3 years. Along the way I will restore some of the parts myself, shop for some new bits, send some other things off to the professionals and I’ll definitely ship off the chassis for metal, body work and paint.

I’ve been poking around the forums and I’m getting ready to post my first question, which I’ll do later in the Body, Interior, Paint, Chrome and Cosmetic Section of the forum.

For now I just thought I’d introduce myself. I’m sure I’ll be spending some time here over the next few years!

Cheers!
Paul

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #968 on: November 10, 2016, 18:45:14 »
Welcome back Paul!! Looking forward to reading about your restoration as you move forward.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

dlbash

« Reply #969 on: November 22, 2016, 21:58:44 »
Hello all!    I'm a new member interested in purchasing a 280SL.  A retired MD, I  :)reside in Indiana.  I've had a less than satisfying foray into the Porsche 356 Speedster replica world and now looking to get a real vintage ride.  These Pagodas address style, drivability and comfort.  Just need to find one in my price range and time zone.
Dave

Buddydog

• Junior Level
  • USA, IN, Indianapolis
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #970 on: November 26, 2016, 13:00:51 »
Hi Dave, I'm just down the road from you in Indianapolis.  I just purchased my first 230SL in July.  If you're interested, there's a 250SL in a downtown warehouse that I found while researching my purchase.  Never seen it except in photos.  PM me and I'll send you the link to the consigner and his pics.  Good luck with your search.
1964 230SL 4 speed UNKNOWN Brown

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
« Reply #971 on: November 27, 2016, 22:20:40 »
Hi All,

I have just bought a 230 SL (1966). I was actually looking for a good condition W107 when I found out an old school friend was selling his pagoda. The car had been standing for 6 years ( due to his long absence)  so it is not running ....in a few weeks time it will start being "accessed " by a classic car repair garage. I'm not mechanically knowledgeable but  of course expect at minimum some significant fuel injection, tank etc problems. It was an impulse buy based on trust and photos !
I live in Cascais (Estoril) ! Portugal.
Will surely have a lot of questions and hopefully make good use of this forum.
Regards
Pedro

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #972 on: November 28, 2016, 00:40:51 »
Pedro,

Welcome to the group! You will find a great group of folks here ready to help with questions. Please be sure to make use of the main search function. A great deal of the information you are looking for is already out there ready to be tapped.

Good luck and keep us all posted!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

kpick

« Reply #973 on: December 12, 2016, 03:51:13 »
Hello all and thank you for a wonderful site.

I'm a new owner of a 1965 230SL.  As you can see from the photos, she's in need of a little love...ok, much love.

I come from a vintage motorcycle background.  Several months ago a good friend decided he had enough of this project and asked if I'd like to "take it over".

The W113's are so damned cute, I could not pass it up.   She was a one owner car with 55K original miles.  Believe it not, the original paint looks like it will polish out nicely (I know the pictures say otherwise).

All parts are accounted for and we've jumped in with both hands.  I'll do my best to update the site on our progress. 

I ask you all to have a lot of patients for my many uneducated questions.

Thanks again for the site,
K.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:51:33 by kpick »

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #974 on: December 14, 2016, 18:25:55 »
Welcome to the group, kpick !!!
Your questions will always be answered here, so ask away.
You will also find tons of information already written in this Forum as well as the Technical manual, so you can search for the answers too.
We look forward to hear about your progress and we love pictures !
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold