Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 818100 times)

kbike

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #925 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:03 »
Hello!  Longtime lurker, first time posting...   After many years of searching and researching, I finally acquired my first pagoda this weekend and it's exactly what I was hoping for.

I grew up driving my father's 230sl which he sold many many years ago, and I always hoped to find one of my own.  In particular, I hoped to find a Euro-spec 250sl with the early 230-style interior so it had as much of the old 230's look as possible while still getting the newer motor and rear discs.  If I could get one in good shape, in a color I liked, manual transmission, already in the USA... so much the better.   With only 3435 European 250sl's ever made, many of them with the 280sl interior, and many in automatic, and most still in Europe... I probably only had a couple hundred cars to choose from, most either in very poor shape or out of my price range.

After years of trolling through hemmings and ebay, willing to grab up a decent US-spec 230sl in a color that wasn't original and wasn't quite to my taste, and failing to find one...   This past weekend the exact car I was looking for popped up on craigslist... and less than an hour's drive from my house.  I secured the deal and drove it home yesterday and I couldn't be happier!  A big thank you to the nice couple that took care of it for the last forty years!

Thank you as well to this wonderful forum and all the details in the technical manual, for making me feel like I could make an informed choice when I finally found the right car.

Of course, now the journey of ownership really begins, and I already have some questions ready to ask on the forum. So you haven't heard the last of me!

In particular, if anyone could recommend a knowledgable w113 mechanic in southern Marin County, I'd appreciate it!

-Kevin

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #926 on: April 18, 2016, 05:12:35 »
Welcome to the group.  Very lovely colour - It that an Italian Export?  These wheels look very Italian as well?  Probably light too.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #927 on: April 18, 2016, 06:27:49 »
Welcome Kevin, and congratulations on finding your perfect car. Indeed must be Italian import given the small round side marker lights. And I normally don't like aftermarket wheels but these are the exception. Also it seems the rearview mirror is non-standard?
Ask away and enjoy your ownership.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Brian in NL

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Clara
  • American living in the Netherlands & USA
« Reply #928 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:14 »
Also interesting that it survived in the U.S. for 40 years without getting sealed-beam headlights!  Did the sellers say where/who they bought it from. It's definitely not a U.S. spec car.

Beautiful, though. And I agree with Cees: Those wheels look good. Very unusual style, but it makes the car look quite sporty.

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Akre
1967 230 SL, U.S. spec, 050 White, Black top, 116 Kaviar interior, #17,030 of 48,912;
1997 SL 500 Sport, U.S. spec, 269 Tourmaline Green, Parchment interior, #145,506 of 204,940;
1991 Nissan Figaro, Emerald Green, #15,717 of 20,073;
2014 VW GTI, White, daily driver

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #929 on: April 18, 2016, 16:11:06 »
Very nice, you should consider coming to Legends of The Autobahn show in Monterey in August. It is 19 August. We have a concours, Silver Star preservation (to certify original cars) and a car corral.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

kbike

« Reply #930 on: April 18, 2016, 17:27:32 »
Thanks for the welcome! 

I should probably start a new thread to introduce the car, so I don't monopolize the newmember thread...
but briefly, as many have surmised, I also believe it to be originally an Italian car. The gauges are in kilometers and it has the small Italian side marker lights. The previous owner bought it from the original owner here in Northern California, and I'm currently trying to track down the original owner for more info.

The wheels are something I'm considering changing, possibly to 5.5" Aluminum "steelies" (the 6" ones seem too expensive and hard to find.) and putting on 195/75R14's with stainless steel wheel covers.  However, the previous owner says these wheels came on the car in 1976 and they are marked as made in Italy by F.J.S... so it's entirely possible that they were installed new at the dealer when purchased in Italy. Would that make them a desirable original feature of an Italian example?  (Previous owner added the MB wheel caps.)

-Kevin

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #931 on: April 18, 2016, 18:59:37 »
Hello Kevin,

Welcome to the Pagoda SL Group and congradulations on your car and plans you have for it. Yes a seperate tread showing the progress and lots of photograps is a great idea.

I send you a PM please check your messages. I have a question for you.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

jpinclt

« Reply #932 on: June 07, 2016, 07:04:09 »
HELLO!

I am purchasing a 1967 230SL in a Dark Olive repaint with Ivory MB Tex interior. Automatic and No Air- tough here in NC. 165,000 miles that are perfectly documented with all the stamps. This car has always been a driver apparently. It looks impeccable!  My Mercedes mechanic friend went through it pretty well- a leaky rear brake cylinder, needs new belts, a slightly tilted alternator and a very loud recently replaced fuel pump were all he could uncover. I plan on replacing the belts,aligning the alternator and fixing the brake.  Rust and body damage was pretty minimal with the body being extremely straight and aligned. Rust repairs seemed minimal from what we could tell with magnets.

I am looking for a good driver to put 4K a year or so on.  Paying $47.5K seems a tad steep with so many miles, but the documentation makes me feel confident about its care and provenance. Drives fantastic and my mechanic friend who cares for many more vintage MB said it drove better than any he had driven that would sell for over $100k. I would appreciate any comments regarding miles, condition, price and value. Is retrofitting these cars with AC traumatic for them and cause damage? Who makes the best one and who makes the best looking AC?

This car has been on my mind for 15 years and when the prices starting going up I new I should get in soon. I plan on keeping this car.

Me- I am a designer and sustainable real estate developer in Charlotte NC and have a beach house on Figure 8 Island NC that I will be enjoying my car at a lot when not tooling around Charlotte. It will live inland.  It is a welcome respite from my quite dependable  and boring Toyota Highlander whom's dependability I truly appreciate.

Look forward to getting to know you here.  James   

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #933 on: June 07, 2016, 21:36:12 »
Welcome to the Pagoda SL Group, James.  Congratulations on your purchase.  You will find the group very helpful in answering your questions and offering advice when needed.  Post a few pictures so we can share your joy!
Regards,
Ralph
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #934 on: June 07, 2016, 22:21:15 »
Hello James,

Welcome to our Pagoda SL Group, as Ralph pointed out you will find many helping hands here. Also as you know our Technical Manual has a ton of information at your fingertips about your car as well as hints and tips how to maintain it. We are all fortunate to live in a time were information is available to us when needed thru the Internet and from likeminded people here that have the same passion about the car as you have. A good place to start is here ...

If you have not already done so ----> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W113

Then our Technical Manual, it is somewhat restricted to you until you become a Full Member. Taking out full membership costing only pennies a day will pay for itself over and over again. Just check out the benefits you have now and once you become a full member of our group as listed ...

Here ----> http://www.sl113.org/wiki/About/Membership

Please post some photos as Ralph already mentioned and once again Welcome

Dieter

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #935 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:42 »
Welcome James, it sounds like you found a gem at a decent price. As for mileage, 165k is really minimal for a car this age plus it's really irrelevant as everything can be replaced or rebuilt to stay in like-new condition. Something we don't tend to do with newer cars, but we could just like we do eith valuable vintage cars such as the Pagoda. What adds to the value of your car is that you have all the records. Keep it in good shape and most of all enjoy driving it as much as you can.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #936 on: June 12, 2016, 02:17:46 »
New Member packages for Non Americas will all be sent out tomorrow now I have returned from an extended holiday.
Welcome to the following that were in this group

John UK
Peter N UK
Oliver France
Robert UK
Michael Aust.
Peter H UK
Robin UK and
Davide Italy

Welcome to the Group and enjoy the ride.

Garry
Membership Administrator
Non Americas
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Stebuga

« Reply #937 on: June 23, 2016, 16:44:14 »
Hello to all of you! So happy of having found this forum!
I always loved Mercedes Pagoda and at last I think it is time to buy one: hope that with your help and through this forum I will find the right one for me.

See you soon!
Stefano from Milan

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #938 on: June 23, 2016, 16:50:59 »
Hi Stefano,

Welcome to our Pagoda SL Group, to help you in your search and what to check once you locate a suitable car to meet your budget, have a read thru this link.

Here in our Tech Manual ---> http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/PrepurchaseEvaluation

We hope once you find it you will share photos with us, we love photos :)

Once you find the car of your dreams we like to welcome you then as a Full Member, as such you will gain full access to our site and Technical Manual.

To learn more about the Benefits have a read .....

Here .... ----> http://www.sl113.org/wiki/About/Membership

Meanwhile do enjoy your Assosiate Membership.

Dieter
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 17:10:58 by Rolf-Dieter »

Tibidabo

« Reply #939 on: June 27, 2016, 21:02:50 »
Hi everybody !

I am new to the MB world and it had to be a Pagoda ! I am a long time vintage car owner and enthusiast on the aircooled VW-Porsche (356) scene. When I recently found this 3-digit VIN (113042-10-0007xx), october 63 230SL at a very reasonable price (as things go now...) I knew I had to go out of my way... It does have a 280 engine and has been repainted in white from the original 334G "light blue" but it is otherwise a very original car, sound, with very little rust and complete with all original accessories except from hubcaps that are the later ones.

I do not know how rare a 3-digit car is in this world and would like to know how many early cars are represented on this forum.

Otherwise it will be completely restored to original specs as soon as I find a period correct engine. Meanwhile, summer is here and it will be enjoyed "as is" in Spain where I live !

Looking forward to participating to the discussions !

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #940 on: June 27, 2016, 21:31:35 »
Hi Tiibidabo and welcome to the Group,

Three figure number is definitely a low number but there are a few here.  Do a search on the full forum for low numbers and you will find some discussion on others here.

334G is a great colour, I looked for several years to find one and just love it in combination with 350H for the hard top.

Enjoy the ride
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Tibidabo

« Reply #941 on: June 27, 2016, 22:14:44 »
Many thanks for the welcome Garry !

Your car is beautiful and exactly the same combination as mine will end up being. I was not thrilled at white and when I discovered the actual original color that was a big incentive.

All the best

Gilles

ck1

I am the new caretaker!
« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2016, 22:25:57 »
Hi
long time lurker and finally decided to sign up :)
Bittersweet fathers day for me this year, !) this was the First fathers day with out my son as he is deployed  2)went to take my father to brunch  and while eating he informed me that he can't drive anymore and handed over the title to one of his prized possessions to me. A 2 owner 68 California Coupe with 148k miles. I Have the original window sticker (7557.00 including tinted glass and PS) BOS and every receipt known to this car. It is a nice strong #4-weak # 3 car. ZERO rust which is surprising because the vehicle has spent its entire life in So Cal at the beach. NO LEAKS ANYWHERE!! water or oil. Could use carpet, new rear seat cover for the flip seat and couple of very minor touch ups by the headlights (old body work starting to show) but other than that its a very nice car. It had been sitting for about 4 years with an occasional drive every once and awhile.
So I did the full cleaning of the tank and fuel system which wasn't bad due to my father ran Av gas in it..you know the good leaded great smelling gas of yesterday!. I  will need to do a cooling system flush new T stat, hoses Etc. After that will be valve adjust. I am not new to MBZ as I am a diesel dude and love my 300d-sd-SDL's that i have had over the years but this one is special and a sweetheart. I took it out for a run and it is very smooth with greatest sounding exhaust I have ever heard. I am so surprised on the gearing 3500 rpm at 60! As I said I am just the caretaker and my oldest will get it when I am done and buried (maybe sooner)  anyway great forum all and I am sure I will asking questions down the road.
Thanks for reading
Cameron
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 22:37:02 by ck1 »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #943 on: July 10, 2016, 00:05:16 »
Welcome to the Pagoda Group Cameron.  Nice story on how you have come by your car.  There are quite a few owners of family hand downs on the Forum here so you will be in good company.

Enjoy the ride and maybe think about becoming e Full Member and gaining access to Pagoda Notes, the Pagoda World and of course full access to the Tech Manual that you will need if you are going to do your own maintenance.

Garry
Membership Administrator
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #944 on: July 10, 2016, 01:50:50 »
Cameron,

Indeed, welcome to the group! We just had a SoCal pagoda group meet-up today in Solana Beach. Are you near to us?? There is a nice community of owners here. The mission is the same as the overall group - keep the cars running, and enjoy the people associated with the cars.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #945 on: July 11, 2016, 23:57:12 »
Hi Cameron,

Welcome to the Pagoda SL Group you are lucky to receive such a valuable gift from your dad. Nice to see another Pagoda being made road worthy and moved out from the dark side. I can only echo what Garry and Jonny already mentioned.

You have signed up to a true international site with members from all around the world. Once you decide to become a full member it will be my pleasure to mail you a welcoming package that will include a letter from our president, our issue 18 Pagoda World Magazine and two windshield stickers for your cars. Don't be shy to ask questions, as you may already know there are countless members here that are very knowlageable on our cars there help (since they bin there and done thst) will save you a fist full of dollars to say the least. I like to think of it as a great return of the low $30-/year membership fee.

Good luck and safe motoring,

Dieter

Joel

« Reply #946 on: July 24, 2016, 13:46:10 »
Hello,
My name is Joel and I live in belgium, I'm a visitor to this forum for a while now and maybe it is time to post something.
I have 15 years body shop experience including 6 years at a local mercedes dealership working my way up from prep to painter. Also worked two years at a restoration shop doing metalwork and paint.
Next week I have one year my own business as a one man restoration shop. I'm just trying to do body work for clients. but on my own cars, I'll try to do "anything"
My clients consist mainly of Mercedes owners, currently I'm working on a rotisserie restoration of a 280SL with lots of rust and a lot of old (not so professional) repairs.
I started the car in February and the last picture is from yesterday.

joel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #947 on: July 24, 2016, 15:21:45 »
Welcome to our Pagoda SL Group Joel, as you may know by now it is a truly International Group. I wish you well with your projects and your Business. I am sure your expertise in your field will be valuable to many of our Members here.

I recommend you start a thread on the restoration work with.your 280SL listing some of the steps you take to correct some of the issues you come across. This supported by photographs will be very valuable information.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring

Dieter

Joel

« Reply #948 on: July 25, 2016, 17:16:16 »
thank you.
when I  have time I will create a new thread with the complete project.

joel

Doug McAllister

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Ramon
« Reply #949 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:23 »
Hi. Just joined as a full member. My 1969 280SL story begins in my youth. I am a Canadian and lived in Europe in my youth (age 7 thru 15). My father loved MB's and had a few models over those years. He ordered the car directly through MB as we were living in Lahr Germany (Canadian AFB)at the time. He took the train to Stuttgart, picked it up and drove it to Lahr, and then to Calais to ship to Canada after three days. I still remember him telling me not to touch the paint as it was still drying. We soon after moved to Oklahoma for almost a year and then to California in 1970- luckily for the car (and me). My mother passed away and left it to me a year ago. My father passed 6 months before that. It had not been driven in over ten years as they got older, and thank goodness, never sold it. I loved that car - I sanded it by hand to the factory primer and repainted it many years ago. They rarely let me drive it as it was their pride and joy - and the fact that I am still paying the price for my teenage years when I drove it - and every time I get in it now, I see the burn marks on the shifter hump. At the time, I thought I was Joe Cool, smoking a cigarette and downshifting, thereby knocking off the burning end of the cigarette as it hit the dash and fell onto the tunnel. Oh well, I now have started a not too major restoration. It has 85,000 miles on it and it is 100% stock but for a fender repair which was not done well around the headlight. I have been somewhat obsessed reading so many great threads on this forum. I really enjoy reading about all the nuances of these cars. This car will in turn, be left to my son when I go - I could never sell it. I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, and work in Silicon Valley as an engineer designing and developing semiconductor wafer processing equipment, but have been a car gearhead all my life. My 1988 Porsche 928S4 is fully restored and looks like a new car, the 280SL will be there too - in a couple more years. Thanks to all the members for this treasure trove of helpful information. One thing I would love to see more of is videos or links to videos. I read these posts and sometimes am not sure exactly what was done from the written descriptions. I hope to add some of my own as my project progresses.
Doug M
Doug M 
1969 280SL MB
1988 928S4 Porsche
2014 Audi A5