Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806700 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Thanks for the Welcome
« Reply #650 on: May 23, 2013, 21:19:21 »
Hello Larry, Norma, Flyair, Ger and Jordan,

Thank you for the welcome and kind words. I am certainly excited about my find of this fine automobile and look forward to participate in this forum.

Jordan, I will deffinitly make it to Willamsburg in September.

Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

PS. I’ve taken the handle “Alter Peter” since I visited the church in Munich last year and climed all the way to the top :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

gimp

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #651 on: May 24, 2013, 16:31:53 »
Welcome Rolf-Dieter
Nice Pagoda and BMW
I am looking forward to meeting you in Williamsburg
Frank

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #652 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:05 »

Thank you Frank ...  :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 00:34:55 by Alter Peter »

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #653 on: May 25, 2013, 05:14:54 »
Enzo - Stuttgart68,

Very interesting background and interesting connections to these cars.  Since you're in the business of German Parts and with a company that has a history of parts for Pagodas, you are perfectly positioned to helm a production of parts no longer available  ;D

Alter Peter,
Nice history ... you will find many many engineers on this forum.

Welcome to both of you.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #654 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08:15 »

Thank you kampala :)

Ordered a stand and cover for the hard top, expecting it by FedEx on Monday :) she looks super without the top on I love it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 00:36:06 by Alter Peter »

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #655 on: June 08, 2013, 00:47:08 »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Lou and I am from Bensalem, PA USA (just outside of Philadelphia).  I am a 51 year old Chemical Engineer working in the pharmaceutical manufacture field.  I inherited a white ’69 280 SL automatic with 60,500.  The previous owner was my father-in-law who passed away in 2009.  The car is mostly stock and was well cared for but needs work to smooth out the age lines. (But who doesn’t at our age LOL ;)).  Well the car sat in the garage for two years because I was afraid to drive it when I found out the throttle will stick.  But I got towed to a MD dealer and got it road worthy again.  Now I wish to pursue getting the car back to its former glory.   I hope you kind folks will reply to my posts because I am hungry for advice.

Lou F
Lou The Engineer's Rule - "Never Compromise.  Improvise"
1969 280SL Automatic - White with blue interior.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #656 on: June 08, 2013, 09:04:59 »
Welcome Lou

Great that you joined and I am sure you will enjoy being in this mostly, but not exclusively (judging from Events) virtual community

One question: when you mentioned your car with 60,500 you meant dollars, euro or just mere miles on the counter? :D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #657 on: June 08, 2013, 13:31:52 »
Thank you Flyer,
The 60,500 that I mentioned in the Introductions post is the miles on the 280SL or about 98,000 kilometers.
Sorry for the confusion.
Lou F
Lou The Engineer's Rule - "Never Compromise.  Improvise"
1969 280SL Automatic - White with blue interior.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #658 on: June 08, 2013, 13:41:57 »
Welcome to the forum Lou and you will find it is a great source of information for our SLs. Always great to hear another one of these great automobiles is back on the road again.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77094 miles
7157 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

gerster

« Reply #659 on: June 08, 2013, 20:11:55 »
Welcome Lou, we love pictures of member cars.

Greetings: Ger.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #660 on: June 08, 2013, 23:36:23 »
Lou, Welcome to this fine forum, a great deal of information to be found here.

Benzo

« Reply #661 on: July 09, 2013, 20:06:27 »
Hello All,

New member here. I'll make my intro quick but with a little substance. In 1988 my father came home with a pic of a corvette and a pic of a Mercedes. He said he was going to get one or the other. A week or so we came home and found a 1968 250SL in the garage. That began my love of that car. As i grew older I asked and asked to drive it and the only reply I got was a laugh. Finally, long after giving up my dad suggested I take he car down and put gas in it. I remember the first day I drove it like it was yesterday.

In 2009 my father passed away and I got his Mercedes. I have been timid to drive it because after all those years of being scared to touch it I still hadn't realized it was mine. Last fall I took it out for a drive and the left front brake seized up so I parked it. I am starting to work on it again and the wealth of knowledge I have found here has been invaluable! In a couple of weeks I hope to have the parts back and try it again.  So thanks to all of you for helping me!

Here is a peek.. (Maybe, If I can attach an image)

Mike

gerster

« Reply #662 on: July 09, 2013, 20:35:46 »
Welcome here Mike . Car looks great!

Greetings: Ger.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #663 on: July 09, 2013, 21:26:35 »
Sorry to hear about your dad's passing ... sorry for your loss.

The car looks nice and in time I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Welcome to the Pagoda Forum, a great bunch of Fellows on here ... have fun!

sfanale

« Reply #664 on: July 18, 2013, 22:44:14 »
HELLO ALL!!

A few years back I was lucky enough to inherit a 1969 280SL from my mother.  At the time I was in college and did not really have the funds or the time to properly take care of the car.  Now that I have graduated and started a decent career, one of those two things has changed--I will let you guess which!  So now my adventure has begun...

I am a pretty active member of the Nissan Xterra forum, thenewx.org, since that is my daily driver, but now I am looking forward to really digging into the Merc and starting to fix it up.  It has always been a daily driver in my family since 1973.  I grew up in the passenger seat of the car as my mom drove it everywhere, so even at my young age (26 years), it has a very special significance to me.  This is a feeling I imagine most all the members of this forum can appreciate!  It has been garaged and driven exclusively in southern California as long as we have owned the car, and I believe the few years before my mother purchased it.  The car runs pretty well for the life it has lived and I drive it every weekend and lots of weekdays when I get home from work.  The sun setting on the left coast @ 6:30 in the evening makes for an excellent back drop for my grocery getting!  My goal has never been to have a pristine vehicle that I can park at car shows and stand next to--I want to DRIVE it like my mother did for all those years and my philosophy with any work I do on it will be motivated by that paradigm.  I figure I will dig mostly into the mechanical stuff and get it running like a top again.  There are lots of small things and a few major things I am hoping to start addressing as funds become available to me.  A little leak here, a creak there...etc...most annoyingly it occasionally pops out of fourth gear under throttle, which as I have read on here is going to be one of the major issues!

Maybe to get started you experts could point me in the right direction for finding some of the little parts I will need during the various maintenance procedures I am going to tackle?  Up to this point I have had a mechanic do the routine stuff, but I want to start everything myself, so first on my list is start with the easy stuff, oil change, spark plugs, air filter, etc...  Finding the filter itself is easy enough, but what about the little o-rings that accompany it?  Where do most of you guys in the US source those type of parts?  I tried rockauto.com then the suppliers list on here but unfortunately that list is not the most helpful for things like that.  OR I came across this posting:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3896.0

For the spin on filter adapters...but there is no contact information and the post is eight years out of date!  Anyone have a source to get one of those adapters today??  I am also looking to flush and bleed the clutch.  I have the Haynes service manual, but after reading through that several times and attempting it myself, I cant seem to find the mysterious second bleed valve they suggest exists?  I read on here that to flush the clutch I need to apply fluid pressure from the bottom and force the air upwards, NOT pumping the clutch to force the air out...is there a post on here that covers the procedure in more detail?

I am going to have tons of questions like that as I start taking the ole' girl apart, so if this forum is anything like the xterra forum I frequent, I am sure we will get along just fine.  One of the best features of that forum is members post how-to's for just about everything, from the mundane to the most advanced.  I haven't seen something like that on here yet, so perhaps as I go about my work I will document things with photographs in an effort to replicate that idea for the SL and help any less knowledgeable future members.  So far my impression of sl113.org is most of the people on here know a HECK OF A LOT about what they are doing...so I look forward to interacting with/learning from you knowledgeable bunch and maybe even getting to meet any of the Southern California members if you are around!

For now,

Sal

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #665 on: July 18, 2013, 23:04:27 »
First ... Welcome Sal to this forum ... great story BTW ... as you search around you will find it to be an excellent forum. Your main source of information will be the Technical Manual (I think you need to be a member to access that area ~ you will find it to be money well spend) then further I suggest since you plan to do some of the work yourself is to find a good Service Manual for your car. You will find great detail in there to help you along.

As for parts and drawings I came across a few links that members posted here, as follows;-

Here is one ---> http://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/200/

and

Another ----> http://www.kkmfg.com/113catalog.php

This takes you to the Oil Filter ---> http://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/200/E%20-%20Oil
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 23:44:08 by Rolf-Dieter »

sfanale

« Reply #666 on: July 18, 2013, 23:44:02 »
Thanks for the reply!  The car has had a checkered past!  I was stolen once and recovered half stripped and abandoned in Los Angeles after which It was rebuilt and back on the road in no time.  The second time was more interesting... my mom bowled regularly in the San Fernando Valley (just north of Los Angles) and the bowling alley manager came outside one day to smoke and noticed two would-be theives prying at the ignition with a screwdriver.  Knowing my mom and the car he yelled at them to get out, to which they replied with several expletives!  He ran inside to get my Mom and a baseball bat only to return to see the car rolling out of the lot as they tried to push start it!  He scared them off with the bat and the car was saved!  The final incident happened a few years ago after I had received the car myself.  I came out from the grocery store to find a man sitting on the front fender, knife in hand.  I threw him the keys from 15 feet out and let him know he could have the car, but that I would have it back inside of 30 minutes.  He took a look at the LoJack keyfob, dropped the keys inside the car and ran off...  I don't understand why this specific 280 has been the sought after prize of so many thieves, but luckily it lives on!

AND those are great links for me to start with as they have images AND part numbers!! that will help a LOT!  I have the Haynes service manual:

http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-1968-1972-6-Cylinder-Roadster-Automotive/dp/0856963461/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374190503&sr=8-1&keywords=280+sl+service

That has been read cover to cover now, but I have yet to get any grease on it.  I rebuilt a Yamaha R6 using the service manual and by the end the book was BLACK with grease and grime from me flipping through it on the garage floor.  ;D  Hopefully, I can start bragging about how dirty it is soon.

Theclaw

« Reply #667 on: August 03, 2013, 13:18:30 »
All,

I have just "inherited" a very nice '67 250SL from my father. His is wife purchased it back in the '70s. He's got a few other cars and he's asked that I take care of it. This is my first Mercedes but not my first German car.  I'm also a bit partial to Italian motorcycles as you can see from the pictures.  I'm looking forward to participating here on the forum.

Regards,
Jeff

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 13:30:21 by Theclaw »

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #668 on: August 03, 2013, 14:07:59 »
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you will take car of your father's car just fine.

Nicely organized garage.  You finally have an excuse to move that dead fish off your wall so you can hang the pagoda hardtop on the wall. 

And whats under the orange tarp?

YOLO
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Theclaw

« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2013, 15:28:58 »
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you will take car of your father's car just fine.

Nicely organized garage.  You finally have an excuse to move that dead fish off your wall so you can hang the pagoda hardtop on the wall.  

And whats under the orange tarp?

YOLO

Thanks for the welcoming,  

The Sailfish is there to stay. My greatgrandfather caught it 50+ years ago.

This is under the tarp.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:10:13 by Theclaw »

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2013, 16:21:09 »
Looks like that Dukati has a good kick stand so it won't fall over onto the beautiful 250:-) That wood brace for shelves adds that extra bit of protection too :). Welcome to the Forum and from your pictures, it looks like you have an excellent example of this fabulous car and being in the family so long, makes it all the better.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77094 miles
7157 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2013, 20:07:03 »
Jeff,

Welcome.  Looks like a very nice 250 ... I can't tell if it's an early 250 or late 250 ... beautiful car!   And a very nice garage full of other toys.

Enjoy.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2013, 22:09:46 »
Welcome Jeff,

My brother had some nice Ducatti's and a Lambretta once  but there was a bushfire through his property and now he calls them his 'art wall'

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 22:15:33 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #673 on: August 04, 2013, 00:01:08 »
Welcome to the forum Jeff, you arrived at a great forum good folks here and lot's of information.

Nice organized looking garage. I'm sure you find a safe corner for your Pagoda roof on a stand (you can get a nice strand and cover for your roof).

McKenzie

« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2013, 18:53:33 »
Hi Folks

Iain from Perth, Scotland. 1969 280SL "California" Coupe. Just taken on the reponsibility of this Pagoda from my mother, the 2nd owner, who acquired it in 1981. The car was purchased new by a British expat working in Malta - hence the reason for the coupe version - who collected it from the factory in '69. (The documentation is in the history file.) The car and he returned to the UK in 1980 and my mother purchased it a year later.  Mileage is 62,000 miles but the car has not been out of her garage for the last 7 years, (until now).  Having got it to my garage, (on a trailer), it looks to need recommissioning rather than any major work, but time will show whether I am right!
I've been playing with Caterham 7s for the last 17 years and am currently restoring a 1939 Morgan 4-4 Series 1, so Pagodas are not within my normal comfort zone - I expect that the membership fee will be well covered by the technical info on the site and available from members. I've already found the Technical Manual section to be both interesting and informative.
A very poor picture is attached. Colour code is 726H - wouldn't be my first, or, for that matter any, choice of colour for a Pagoda but it certainly represents a very 60s colour image.
I look forward to developing new friendships in the Pagoda community.