Author Topic: Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter  (Read 12921 times)

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter
« on: August 06, 2005, 08:28:20 »
One more item from Blacklick that several people asked about.  I mentioned a spin-on oil filter adapter that is available for the 190SL and should also fit 113's (at least my 230SL).  It is an aluminum casting with an 'O' ring that seals to the stock housing and held in place with a hollow bolt that screws into the center.  Rich Splaine in Ada, MI made them and he sells them for $50.  http://www.190slgroup.com/tech/tools/oil_filter.JPG

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

enochbell

Re: Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:00:51 »
Heresy! Witch! There is an Unclean among us!  SPINOFF FILTER??!!!  Who doesn't love the originality of a cannister...that doesn't want to seat, with a bolt that leaks, with a blind mount that is impossible to thread properly the first time, with an upper seal that may or may not stay on...

OK, I'll take one.

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Bearcat

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 09:20:40 »
will it fit a 280SL? if so I want one too....p*ssed off getting covered in oil!

1970 280SL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 14:59:27 »
A comment to the oil spill and other grief voiced here, when changing oil inserts on our cars. It must not be that way.

It actually is a neat system on our Pagodas, one must only be sure to change the rubber O-rings. Look at the images

The little O-ring (52) around the bolt (7) must be renewed (after 35 to 40 years in our cars). It then neatly seals and positions central bolt (7), and change of filter insert can be performed spill free.

Let the central bolt (7) sit in the housing (5) during change procedure, just clean inside of housing. Prime the new filter insert with lots of fresh oil, and spin the housing back onto your car. Torque the 17mm hex head bolt (7) to 35Nm (25lb/ft)
Note: Vitally important that rubber ring (2) is fresh, and in its position.

/Hans in Stockholm

_______
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 14:59:21 by mbzse »
/Hans S

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 15:53:29 »
Personally, I have had good luck with my oil filter changes. A little might spill on removal but generally an easy ordeal. Seals always seem to cooperate -- and tightening it up has gone fine. This is all on my back with no lift.

Now, the fuel filter, that's a stinker... I was challenged by the rubber ring wanting to fall out while getting canister back on. I used something gooey to hold it for that nanosecond -- forget what it was.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 16:45:27 »
A little bit of grease seems to work holding that fuel filter canister seal in place.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

enochbell

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 17:47:16 »
Thanks for the comments, but I really don't think we are talking about “O” rings here.  It's a bigger issue, and one that I think can lead to some positive and interesting discourse, if we can just keep our shorts on.
First of all, Benz Dr., thanks for your help in rebuilding my idler arm bushing.  Your advice helped me put that tricky thing back to it's original and elegant functioning.  I hope you will keep that invaluable advice coming.  And I sincerely respect your views on staying pure and honest with the marque.  You obviously derive your satisfaction with these beautiful machines in a way that is common to a lot of true afficianodos.
But there is also room here for those who would make modest and reverseable changes, whether for improved functionality, safety, or, dare I say, aesthetics that allows us to enjoy the SL in our own way.  I know a guy who searched for the original thread and gauze backing to faithfully recreate the original tie-back of the leather in the “passenger” well; another who doesn't like some rechroming jobs because they are actually too bright and perfect; another who would not be seen dead in a U.S. Pagoda with Euro headlights.  And I respect every one of these guys, because the are expressing their passion for cars, and these cars in particular.  Some go the other way, and not many on this board would find anything to love about the amalgamation you can see in the attached pic.  But, what the heck, to each his own.
Would I turn down teflon valve seals, just because they are not “original”,  or pass up converting from R12, even though it means going to a new compressor, or electonic ignition (with stock parts safetly stored, but which, honestly, will probably never get reinstalled)?, or, my next wish, fabricating an elegant but non-standard windscreen so that my wife will share longer drives with me?  Guilty, on all counts.
And if a spin-on filter helps me enjoy this beautiful machine, I think that's OK too.  A little bit on the edge, mind you, even for me.  But its OK.
At least that's the way I choose to enjoy this journey.
Respectfully,
Greg

Download Attachment: stock dash.jpg
84.88 KB

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 18:17:13 »
Greg ... Well spoken.  I have a spin-on filter adapter but it is not installed in either of my cars.  Not that I am a purest but my current filters are working just fine.

But I have taken you course on many other items.  I have cruise control, electronic ignition, three point seat belts and a modern radio (posibley replaced). I appreciate originality and will never drill a hole or do something that is not reversible.    

For me, the importance and the joy is driving the car.  My car has been to Florida, Maine, Ohio and many other lesser places.  Each of us expresses our individual passion in our own ways.  I respect the member with a concours car transported by trailer and I respect the guy with the ratty car who arrives with energy and a big smile.  We are all individuals and we express our passion for the Pagoda in our individual manner.  This diversity keeps the subject interesting and evolving.  

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

glennard

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 20:38:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by mbzse

A comment to the oil spill and other grief voiced here, when changing oil inserts on our cars. It must not be that way.

It actually is a neat system on our Pagodas, one must only be sure to change the rubber O-rings.

The little O-ring (52) around the bolt (7) must be renewed (after 35 to 40 years in our cars). It then neatly seals and positions central bolt (7), and change of filter insert can be performed spill free.

Let the central bolt (7) sit in the housing (5) during change procedure, just clean inside of housing. Prime the new filter insert with lots of fresh oil, and spin the housing back onto your car. Torque the 17mm hex head bolt (7) to 35Nm (25lb/ft)
Note: Vitally important that rubber ring (2) is fresh, and in its position.

/Hans in Stockholm

Missing seal!   Part 2, the 1/2" high seal (cylindrical), has been missing on about half the old MBs(various models) I have bought over the years.  It seals between the housing on the block and the filter in the cannister.  If this seal is missing, the oil bypasses the filter.  Ergo, no filtration.   50% chance yours is missing.  It used to come with a new filter from MB.  No more.    

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 22:16:29 »
Uh well...... OK.  I've changed a few things on my car too. 280SL seats, power steering, early header pipes, oil cooler, visco fan clutch, chrome plated injection lines ( not really my idea ) 300SE dual point distributor and limited slip diff.  BUT they're all vintage 113 SL parts.
This was a lot more work figuring some of this out than you might think and the power steering change was a lot of work but worth it. There's a later radio ( not working ) in the car but it's pretty close to the time period. The only thing that's not a stock Benz part is the urathane front sway bar bushings.

Adding a draft deflector or seat belts in isn't changing the nature of the car; this is about saftey and comfort. If I was going to drive across the continent I might consider criuse control but I've driven all my life without it. I'd manage.

If I wanted all the creature comforts I'd buy a new car or one that had all the things I wanted already there and working. When I buy, restore, or own a 40 year old car I actually expect to have to do things to keep it running. If you don't like to get grease all over yourself buy a 107 - they don't have grease fittings. After 1976 you don't have to set valves or change points either. There ya go.

Sorry, they don't have spin on filters. Still the same old canister jobs right until the end of production in 1989.

Better yet, buy a Honda. They never break........

And....... I'm kidding of course. ( cheessssch )

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC