Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806579 times)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2011, 22:03:45 »
Welcome to the Forum Claudia and Jon.

That is indeed a loverly looking car and an unusual colour combination. Tom showed us many photos of the interior of the sills etc during his talk and all at Blacklick this year know her intimately ;)

I am sure my Jaguar will come out of Toms workshop later this year in such good shape. ::)  No pressure Tom.  My birthday is 14 November.

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

syngen smythe

« Reply #501 on: October 21, 2011, 02:39:20 »
Hello forum
Jim from Seattle here. I had a 280sl for a few years, until a "friend" totaled it. No, no-one was hurt, although I did want to kill him. Anyway, a few years have gone by and I have to find another one, so I have started looking. I have restored a few cars over time so I may go that route- we will see. I found this forum to be able to do my research, learn all about the whole production run, and decide on which car I want this time. I am thinking another 280 manual- but I want to take my time and see what is out there. Looking forward to learning a lot and getting another great car. And this time no-one will drive it but me!

rocketman1

« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2011, 19:31:23 »
Hi, My name is David Lewandos (rocketman1) from Corpus Christi, Texas
Just signed up as a full member this week.
GREAT club and web site.
Look forward to working with and seeing you and your cars.
I found my 1964, 230SL in my friends barn after 29 YEARS. Long story, I'll share that some other time.
It's a German market car, serial # 005288 with a factory ZF 5 Transmission, aluminum doors,trunk,hood etc.
Needs lots of work, but I got my Baby back.
I also still have a "gray market" 1982 500sl that I bought new back then, a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 428 cobra jet engine with a "shaker hood" and
I drive a 2002 S430 to work.
I love to work on these cars my self. Big stress relief from work!
Look forward to sharing info on the 230sl as the work is being done.
Best to alll
David

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #503 on: October 24, 2011, 03:02:41 »
Welcome syngen snythe and rocketman1 !

Syngen: Good luck on your search.
Rocketman1: Please tell your story and we always like to see pictures too.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Prairie Aero

« Reply #504 on: October 25, 2011, 18:58:45 »
Hello Fellow listers,

I’ve just joined the site and have already found it an excellent resource.  My thanks to all who have contributed.

I live in Northern Illinois just west of Chicago and own a “barn find” December ’67 production 250 SL.  Exterior color: Dark Olive 291H.  Interior: Cognac 140 MB Tex with matching soft top.

I am ashamed to admit it but the car was “found” in my own barn.  I am the second owner having purchased it in August of 1970.  When I bought it there was less than 5,000 miles on the ‘clock.  The car was temporally stored twenty five years ago at 54,000 miles but regrettably, life got in the way and it hasn’t been touched since.  Last week, when preparing to push the car into my heated shop, I was surprised to find all four tires still had about 15 lbs. of air in them!

When I stopped driving this car, I had been in the process of replacing the broken heater control sliders so in addition to the ill effects of indifferent storage, I must also finish that task and reassemble the dash. I’m certain that there will be quite a bit of work to put it all right again but now that I am retired and with the aid of this site, I should be able to devote some meaningful effort to resurrecting another Pagoda.

Alan

knockmacool

« Reply #505 on: October 25, 2011, 20:59:38 »
...own a “barn find” December ’67 production 250 SL.  Exterior color: Dark Olive 291H.  Interior: Cognac 140 MB Tex with matching soft top.
Alan,
Now tell us it's a five speed and we will all be jealous. Welcome aboard/back- don't know which applies :)
Drew

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #506 on: October 25, 2011, 22:10:06 »
Hello Alan,
 Welcome and glad to hear you are getting your 250 back on the road again. I had a similar story such as yours (stored away for 25 years) but have had my 280SL running again for over a year now and having a ball driving our old friend again. The car was still in great shape but needed some TLC and a few $$$ to get it back into good running condition. My intro is a couple of pages back http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=529.msg92844#msg92844
 Good luck in your project and be sure to post a few pictures

John

1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77094 miles
7157 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Prairie Aero

« Reply #507 on: October 26, 2011, 03:13:27 »
Thanks very much for the greeting gents.

No Drew you can relax, it's just a standard automatic but as I recall, quite a nice combination for a true GT car.

John, if you ever figure out what possessed you to put yours away for all that time, let me know.  Try as I will I simply can't come up with a reasonable excuse.  I'm afraid that I will have to pay for it with a great deal of time and money.  I'll reserve my enthusiasm until I look further into the car's true condition.

BTW, I'll start out here by correcting myself.  I took a brief survey of the car this afternoon and after checking the site this evening find that it was actually produced late in November of '67.  Serial # 005110.  It was sold here and titled as a '68.  I have reason to suspect that it may have been special-ordered as your's was but that would be difficult to confirm and it has no special equipment to suggest this.  I was surprised to see that only 8 250s were brought to the U.S. that year.  Could this be one of them or is it a case of the dealer pushing the model year ahead?

Alan

catjim813

« Reply #508 on: October 30, 2011, 00:25:27 »
Great to be a member and looking forward to getting information on restoring my 69 280sl.  I am four years from retirement and wanting to start now on making my car a true looker..  I am in the state of TN and enjoy the winding roads and rolling hills.

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #509 on: November 02, 2011, 15:43:51 »
Good morning! Long with the itch to own one; 'lurker' on this site for several months; finally a new proud owner and full member on the site as well. I live in southwest GA and have purchased a 1968 Euro 280 SL; red (567) with parchment interior and automtic. Tons of useful info on this site and I look forward to years of enjoyment.

Eddie

ikarak

« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2011, 21:16:26 »
Good Monday everyone!

Iv been browsing the site for a while now, and decided to finally became a member! I'm thinking about purchasing a SL very soon and love all the information I find on here.

-ikarak

ranchomerced

« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2011, 01:46:32 »
New old member here; Passarelli Restorations has moved my Classic Mercedes Restoration business to the Big island of Hawaii where I still provide sales, service and concours level restoration of pre 1980 Mercedes Benz classics.  Free restoration and service advice; discount parts and accessories. See my new websites www.w194.com and www.halemerced.com  Thanks Mark Passarelli 808 443 9100

BfloMB

« Reply #512 on: December 09, 2011, 23:32:16 »
I am new to this Forum and chose to join as I am now starting to search for a 280 SL. I have only owned new Mercedes before including my current wagon. My dear wife says it is time for a classic summer convertible, and I can't disagree with my wife, now, can I?! As someone born in the 1950's, I have such strong and happy memories of the 1960's that I hope the car will embody for me. I'm looking forward to this Forum's insight and advice, and to someday adding an "SL" to my signature line.

klemmflyer

« Reply #513 on: December 12, 2011, 19:26:52 »
Hello to everyone on the forum ....  I live in Glasgow Scotland, not the best climate for running an old SL, I've had my 1964 230sl since 1986, and it had lots of use, between the months of March until mid October each year it would be my daily transport, it was always put in storage over the colder months.  It's had the usual share of problems... hot starting issues, cutting out at high speed, diff problems, but overall it's been a trusty reliable car..... I remember doing an overtake on the road to Fort William and reaching to downshift, and the entire gearstick came away in my hand, mind you it had been getting a bit sloppy... Anyway, in 1999 I was shocked to discover the extent of corrosion that had infested the car, hidden away by rubber underseal, when I began to explore the problem I realised that major chassis and inner body work would be required, I decided to undertake it myself. In 1999 prices for body panels from Merc were relatively cheap, I was payiing £80 for a rear wing , £90 for a front inner wing £30 for a front crossmember....... it's now almost 2012, 13 years have passed and I am finally ready to put the car back on the road, a hugely long and arduous learning experience but finally well worth the effort..... My main problem was aquiring space to do the work, and had to move the car several times, and on occasions put it in storage until I had secured yet another workshop space, I almost sold it at a project on a couple of occasions but I would have regretted it. I have been out of touch with prices and couldn't believe the current values, I payed £3200 for my car when nobody wanted them, now a full set of factory chromes costs double that !!!!   shocking .... I have shipped the car to Heaneys in Ireland to have the mechanicals and fuel system recommisioned and the engine/box checked and tuned and then comes springtime and the open road ....  Regards to all you Pagoda lovers  ...    Jim Lambert

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #514 on: December 12, 2011, 19:52:06 »
Welcome, a great story any pictures taken along the way?
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #515 on: December 12, 2011, 20:56:14 »
Welcome there Jim - great story and we're anxiously awaiting photos and a full account of your getting your car back into commission ... this would be a great article for Pagoda World?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

klemmflyer

« Reply #516 on: December 12, 2011, 23:40:10 »
Thanks for the welcome ...   If I can get into my old hard drives (which I kept) then I can post some pics of the restoration , which was long and painful on the knuckles ... I'll start taking some pics as I'm well into the restoration of the hardtop which involves a lot of converting crosshead screws to slotted screws with a dremel ( they come out easy with this method) ... the hardtop is top grade after nearly 50 years in Scotland, no rust on the rear posts..... a testiment to keeping it stored in the garage and never using it ..... i need a new headliner and I think I'll just get that from merc .... I'm worried that repro ones might not be up to scratch, any advice welcomed ?? It took me over a year to get the car stripped ready for cutting out panels, I also goosed about thirty spot weld drills..... I had never restored a car but had restored several 1930s and 40s Indian motorcycles so convinced myself that it would be easy .......  wrong ....... I still have issues with door gaps being to big but I think that is fixable even at this stage ...
The work I've done is less than concours but i dont intend to ever sell the car and will drive it with some gusto ... as I always did ..... will post some pics of the hardtop progress and will go hunting the old hard drives for shots of the horrors of flaying open a Pagoda .......  Jim
PS ....  I travelled over to Heaneys in Ulster last week to go over the recommisioning issues and was very impressed with the set up that Tom Heaney has .... he clearly knows these cars and I left felling very reassured ... he hasn't said anything bad about my welding or the paint job which for me is as good as a slap on the back .........

Jüng

« Reply #517 on: December 14, 2011, 18:00:48 »
Hello, my name is Erik and live in Arizona.  I have a 64' 230sl that belonged to my father.  He purchased it in the mid 90's, drove it for a lot of years, but unfortunetly took it to a mechanic that didn't know what he was doing and made problems worse.  He moved it around for several years trying to get issues resolved, I "rescued" it a few years ago from where it had been sitting.  I have been contemplating the options from full resto, weekend driver, parting ways, etc.  I have gained alot of knowledge from this site, and just thought I would finally introduce myself and the car.  The car was imported in the early 80's, and I have a lot of records from my father, the previous US owner, plus a stack of receipts in German.  In Germany is when the engine must have been replaced, with a later model 280SE motor (68' ish from the engine numbers).  The car starts and runs, but needs a lot of TLC from the neglect of sitting for such a long time.
http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n447/coollmnade/230%20SL/

Gerard67

New member introductions
« Reply #518 on: December 15, 2011, 22:42:30 »
Hello! I'm new in this forum. I'm located in France (Europe) and I have a 280 SL Auto.
Pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer?dc=gorganic&source=mobileproducts#photo/gerard.heilly/5659168500937956369/5659168521392066242

The car was sale in 1971 at the USA, but I don't no in which state.

Best regards,
Gérard

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #519 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:11 »
Welcome Erik and Gerard - just let us know if you need any help.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

KevinC

« Reply #520 on: January 03, 2012, 22:54:01 »
Thanks very much for the greeting gents.

No Drew you can relax, it's just a standard automatic but as I recall, quite a nice combination for a true GT car.

John, if you ever figure out what possessed you to put yours away for all that time, let me know.  Try as I will I simply can't come up with a reasonable excuse.  I'm afraid that I will have to pay for it with a great deal of time and money.  I'll reserve my enthusiasm until I look further into the car's true condition.

BTW, I'll start out here by correcting myself.  I took a brief survey of the car this afternoon and after checking the site this evening find that it was actually produced late in November of '67.  Serial # 005110.  It was sold here and titled as a '68.  I have reason to suspect that it may have been special-ordered as your's was but that would be difficult to confirm and it has no special equipment to suggest this.  I was surprised to see that only 8 250s were brought to the U.S. that year.  Could this be one of them or is it a case of the dealer pushing the model year ahead?

Alan

Alan,

A belated welcome! Reading through your post it seems that your car was produced in November 1967 as a 1968 model year car as you mention. I would guess that the timing was such that the factory was gearing down production of 250SL's at that very time to make way for the 280SL's as opposed to the dealer having anything to do with it. Keep in mind that the "model year" in the US typically starts in the fall and it seems that MB adopted that practice with their US-bound cars in 1966.  As such, my car (for instance) is a model year 1967 built in November 1966. I BELIEVE that ALL of these cars were "special order" as I have heard that MB dealers didn't sell SL's cars from stock at that time.

Best of luck!

Kevin

Oisin

« Reply #521 on: January 11, 2012, 15:21:17 »
Hello there everyone - thanks for hosting such a mine of information.  Really first class.  I bought my 230SL in 2006 through Walter Nieuwkoop up in Morpeth.  I was on the look out for one for ages - so,  after realising that I would have to take the plunge eventually I decided that the next thing with a concave roof, 4 wheels and a steering wheel that I saw - I was going to buy.  I had a look at Walters site www.classicmercedesbenz.co.uk/ and noticed he had just listed one on behalf of a friend of his in the MB club.  Knowing nothing about the car I bought it and was lucky - it worked - mostly.  A nice fella down in Warlingham (who had an embarrassing number of 300SLs lying around) reckoned it was decent value and put it through the MOT for me.  I was thrilled.  Driving around London for a couple of years was a ball.  Anyway I'm in Armagh now and keen to swap notes with any Irish victims out there.  Heaneys outside Maghera do a good job.  As has been just mentioned - Tom is an old hand with these cars.  He only had to do the "laying on of hands" and one of my cylinders sprang back to life).  Anyway dead chuffed with it - overhauled the engine, refurbished gearbox, new pistons, pertonix ignition and now I have a real driver.  Red with black top.

RThornhill

« Reply #522 on: January 18, 2012, 03:35:45 »
HI,

What a great site. I just bought and am waiting on delivery of a 1970 280SL. It's Olive Green with tan seats. I saw it and it was love at first sight. It's automatic and appears to be in great shape cosmetically and mechanically. Will send pics when it arrives.

Carpenterman

« Reply #523 on: January 18, 2012, 16:18:39 »
Hello enthusiasts! I am happy to join the site even though I don't own a Pagoda. I just got a 280sel and this site has the best and most complete information on the MFI fuel system. By far. I've spend a few days learning about the MFI and getting ready to sort through the car.

I got completely hooked on classic MBs after buying the '81 300TD a few years ago. I bought a fintail a year ago and have it pretty much up to snuff, so I am ready to move on to a new chassis. The car is very good mechanically but has some rust repairs, some new bubbling, and a mediocre overspray. Interior is good with the typical dash crack and delaminating window trim and crazed dash wood.

Looking forward to learning more from all of you. I reckon I'll eventually evolve to owning a Pagoda. Isn't that the natural order of things? ;D

harleridr

« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2012, 02:36:21 »
Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum, but have always had a keen interest in Mercedes since my first ride in a Gull Wing in 1956. I am seventy two now and still have that interest especially the w113 grroup. I have a chance to buy a garage find, a 1971 280. It is all origional down to the radio. This vehicle has probably not been run in fifteen years. Any thoughts on this??
Harle