Author Topic: What do people think of gas prices?  (Read 61300 times)

Chad

What do people think of gas prices?
« on: August 30, 2005, 21:52:27 »
Not about w113, however, we do get 16-19 mpg...
A silly question to ask, perhaps, but how about those gas prices.

Has anyone seen?  www.drydipstick.com/#intro

I might be buying one of these or try investing there:

www.wicycle.com/wierd%20stream.wmv

Good riddens to the SUV and the "I've got mine attitude."
What are your thoughts?

Download Attachment: IMG_0696.JPG
64.42 KB

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10
1983 300TDT, 123.193

Ricardo

Re: What do people think of gas prices?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 13:18:52 »
Hey Chad
I think the reality of the situation is only just starting to sink in for the person on the street, as it were...too bad the automakers and the government have been hiding their heads in the sand and selling North Americans a lot of overpowered guzzlers, while the supplies have dwindled....used SUV's anyone.....on the other hand, we read that gas prices as a percentage of income are no higher than in the 60's, so why would people think about conservation....that will change now...so maybe we should start a new thread about converting 113's to electrics.....

Richard
'67 250SL
'83 300TDT

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 13:32:49 »
we are about to go through $1.80 a litre (3.8 of them to a US Gallon, I believe)

Quit moaning!

But yes, really glad I didn't buy that big 4.8litre range rover...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 14:01:46 »
For some odd reason I am always compelled to defend SUVs (maybe because we have two?)...

Anyway, its my opinion that these behemoths do serve a purpose, at least in my neck of the woods (hint). While the mileage is not fabulous, they are sturdy and reliable in inclement weather, large enough to haul my family of five safely, and powerful enough to pull the boat or a trailer full of trimmings from my trees... None of these is much fun in an economy car.

Now I will concede that the 65 bucks to fill my truck up yesterday made me wince a little -- but then again so did that 2.00 cup of coffee!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

norton

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 14:28:13 »
This week I filled my main driver, a 4x4 truck. cost $64.00
Filled the E320 with premium. cost $58.00
The boat with a 140 gal tank and 2 big block chevy's is going to sit for awhile. :(

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 15:21:41 »
Yesterday 8/30 on the way to my car wash, gas was $2.79.  On the way home an hour later, it had jumped to $2.99.  One large station, a Meijer's Super Store, had kept it to $2.89, but blocked off one entrance to keep some order, shades of the old gas crisis lines.  This afternoon, prices were $3.09, on the way home again an hour later, they had jumped to $3.19 and $3.29.  One station was at $3.39.  In Michigan at least, the prices are being changed hourly.

In case you didn't know there was a cement shortage this year.  Steel prices have doubled in the past year--this is all pre-Katrina.  Based upon historical perspective with Hurricane Andrew of a few years ago, my suspicion is that the reconstruction of the gulf coast devastation will suck every bit of building material this country can muster--as well as the contractors who use them--for several years.  Expect horrific price increases in these materials, and in the labor to use them.  If you have any plans on the drawing board, I'd suggest a trip to Home Depot or Lowes this week.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 15:35:56 »
This afternoon the price for premium at the local Chevron was $2.97 per gallon.  With the recent rise in crude coupled with the Katrina devistation we'll be seeing much higher prices.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Ed Cave

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 17:37:34 »
A little "gasoline hysteria" broke out in Atlanta just after lunchtime today as prices jumped and rumors of short supply began circulating. Traffic on my drive home from work was noticably affected by the lines of cars witing to pull into gas stations.

I fear the wrath of Katrina is upon us all so its probably time to take a deep breath and accept the fact that this is simply the way things are going to be for a while.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

norton

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:38:41 »
$3.19 a gallon today, filled the truck again 24 gallons - $75.00 and I need gas for the mower and weed wacker - (2) 5 gallon cans - $32.00
Over a $100 dollars for gas and I'm not even going anywhere this weekend. :evil:

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Bob G

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 14:32:57 »
I live in Los Angeles and have watched the price of premium gas jump from $2.99 to $3.50 for super. Nothing we can do but we might want to consider buying our gas from companies who do not import foreign oil. Lastly I do not depend on my SL as a daily driver and I do live close to work .
I consider my self lucky and I would rather put $100.00 to the blue cross for the people who losted everything on the golf cost then put it in my SL for fuel. Think about that before you complain about the price of gas or eat your next meal.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 14:35:52 by Bob G »

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 08:28:36 »
Guys,   it's unfortunately much bigger than gas prices.    Building materials will go through the roof, transportation costs since this is a huge shipping center for import/export, service businesses on the gulf coast will disappear because of permanent population shifts.

I have enormous faith in the resilence of the human spirit, but this is both a shock and shift that will affect us for a long time.

Watch out next year for low mileage, late model, used cars in the auto auctions...likely cleaned up and flooded cars from the gulf coast dealers...
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 10:00:35 »
And now, another way of looking at things:

In 1972 when I began farming soya beans were about $6.00 pr bushel. Today, they're still $6.00 per bushel. I could by diesel fuel for .40 a gallon back then - now it's a $1.40 a litre.
1972 in could by a new 60 HP tractor with about 1,500 bushels of beans - today I might buy a new set of tires and rims.
It takes about 10 gallons per hour to run all the machinery during harvest - about 50 to 60 dollars per hour.
A ton of corn is about $80.00 CDN. To transport a ton of garbage from Toronto to Michigan so it can be dumped into a land fill ( about 250 miles away ) costs $85.00 Garbage is more valuable in this country than food.
So, if I don't have too much sympathy for those who fuel boats ( land or otherwise ) you can kind of understand. The average net income for a Canadian farmer last year was a whopping $3,700.00 even though most would gross over $100,000.00
 The extravagant and wastefull ways of NA society has been headed for this sort of melt down for a long time. How much would you be willing to pay for food if some sort of natural disaster were to happen next week?

Maybe it's time to put all things into perspective...

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 13:30:32 »
Just drove around 3,000 miles the past three weeks, at over $6 a gallon. The Netherlands have the second-highest gas prices in the world and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

More cars on the roads each year in this, what used to be the most densily populated country in the world. Lots of SUV's the past couple of years, they are becoming more and more popular. Lots and lots of traffic jams on a daily basis for commuters.

So, in short, at twice the gas prices and a fraction of the available space to drive, in a country known for being frugal and 'cheap Dutch', car usage is at an all-time high and climbing.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

TR

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 10:34:21 »
Cees -- IMO those are insightful, powerful and compelling observations.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 18:07:42 »
Hummmmmm...... well, farmers in Holland make a lot more than ones in Canada. Farmers in the USA also make more than we do, but I wouldn't say they're well off.
Dutch farmers have come here recently to avoid strict enviornmental regs and high land prices. Since much of Holland is at or under sea level, there's a huge problem with ground water pollution from pig manure.  

Apparently, none of this maters - only that SUV's will soon be dumped at fire sale prices much like the big boats from the early '70's. Most people around this site can afford higher gas prices. Looking at some of their profiles, this isn't that much of a blue collar crowd.

The really compelling, insightful and powerful observation here is that some people are out of touch with reality.
The day to day struggle of a growing lower class that now have no place to live and no home to go back to, should make the idea of extra costs to drive our toys around seem pretty small by comparision.

Extra fuel costs will mean the end of farming for myself and my family. There just isn't anything left at this point.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:17:52 by Benz Dr. »
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 07:36:31 »
Dan,

A little tale I heard in Shanghai recently, from two of my colleagues there, both in their early 30s.

China as you know has a "one child" policy. What is less publicised is that if you are in the countryside, you can have 2 kids.  It also has stopped free education above secondary level.

The two Shanghainese were effectively saying...we have an underclass of peasants. If not now, then later. No-one in the countryside can afford to go to university/get an education. So the "average" is being lowered. They'll always be peasants, and the few in the cities will get fed by them. (let's not imagine the long term consequences of that...)

On leaving the office that afternoon, one driver nearly knocked an old dear off her bike, as he swerved to avoid a brand new, custom colour SL55AMG...

As an aside, we're constantly fed the line that "we" want cheap food, and won't pay for quality - at least that's what we're told here as Tesco and Asda/Walmart cut prices once again. OK, I am not necessarily representative, but I'd rather have quality, fresh, sustainable sourced food than "cheap". No-one asked me

And don't get me started on the Fairtrade issue. It's not Fairtrade so in buying it am I saying "it's cheap and I really don't give a flying fig for the poor Guatemalan and his family who slaved away for nowt so i can get banana's two cents a kilo cheaper"? Surely, all of it should be "fair"...

Oh, and huge problems here right now for the retailers:

Unleaded is likely to go above £1 a litre. Most of their signage, and pumps, are only calibrated to 99.99p per litre. Oh, how we laughed!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:37:59 by Tosh »
James L

benzportland

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 22:01:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Yesterday 8/30 on the way to my car wash, gas was $2.79.  On the way home an hour later, it had jumped to $2.99.  One large station, a Meijer's Super Store, had kept it to $2.89, but blocked off one entrance to keep some order, shades of the old gas crisis lines.  This afternoon, prices were $3.09, on the way home again an hour later, they had jumped to $3.19 and $3.29.  One station was at $3.39.  In Michigan at least, the prices are being changed hourly.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored

Oh how I miss 2.79 per gallon.....

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 00:56:45 »
We really have nothing to complain about. We did it to ourselves. Plus we are still way cheaper than Europe.

The one that gets me that I didn't know was that the auto companies bought all the streetcar companies in the 50's and 60's so they could scrap them, creating more demand for cars.

Its kinda funny in my city (Tacoma) they put in light rail at a great cost over the past 5 years. They laid the rail in the exact same places where they tore out the old streetcar rails in the 70's and 80's.

Big oil is going to use this to push for drilling in eco sensitive areas. Alternatively for the conspiracy theorists.... they created the problem so they could push for drilling in those areas that Congress voted against.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 00:57:54 »
Diesel is now over £1.20 a litre
Unleaded a shade under

At a shade under $2 a £, that's $8.85 a US Gallon :D
James L

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:46 »
You guys .... :?

Gas prices are so cheap in the States ... what are you complaining about? We Europeans pay a hell of gas tax and VAT for this $$ 135 per barrel liquid.
Current German prices are Euro 1.50 per litre and more , that' about 6 € per gallon or > $$ 9 per gallon. _That's_ expensive ...! :evil:

JMHO
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 10:18:40 »
It's interesting that this 3 year old thread is getting some action again.  How do I feel about gas prices?  Well, with respect to a Pagoda, gas prices are a non-issue since I'm not going to drive it that much and if I can afford the parts and the car, I can afford the gas.  For my 6 mile commute to work, I'm driving a Ford Ranger that I dislike, but our livestyles dictate that we need to own a pickup and this one has cost us virtuatlly nothing to own/maintain.  For longer drives (going to see Mom 90 miles away, commutes across town, etc) I drive the other car - a Prius.  So I have it pretty good when it comes to not being impacted by fuel prices.   At the same time, I want to see the little Beverly Hills housewife spend $200 at the gas station to fill up her Suburban.  For that kind of foolishness I would be happy to see US gas prices get up to European gas prices.   The part of the economy that is really hurt by this is the people who are working for minimum wage and probably can't afford a newer more fuel-effient car.  These people are truly being squeezed and I don't like it at all.   I would be very much in favor of a MUCH higher "gas guzzler" tax on new vehicle purchases and much higher CAFE standards.  I would also be in favor of a minimum wage that was a true living wage, which the current minimum wage is not.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

glennard

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 10:44:19 »
Personally,  I'm sick of $4 a gallon gas, while drinking my $15 a gallon  Starbucks.  So, I'm drilling a slanted well to Qatar, building a refinery and storage, putting in pumps, etc in my backyard here in NC.  Going to Fenway Park and have $30 a gallon bottled water with the action to cool off.  Just bought a $30,000 a gallon perfum for my Honey.  But, I'm really pissed at Exxon making 30 cents a gallon on a high quality, dependable product.   Whoops-- the neighbors complained about my refinery, I struck a dry hole, EPA fined me, I didn't have 3 billion dollars to fund the whole thing.  But I love my congress person for stopping Nuclear power, blocking domestic drilling, taking money from the loonies, etc.  Think I'll have a foreign owned(soon) Bud at $12 a gallon chill out.  But, don't fret- I'm still mad at Shell and Valero for paying billions in taxes to government.

benzportland

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by glennard

Personally,  I'm sick of $4 a gallon gas, while drinking my $15 a gallon  Starbucks.  So, I'm drilling a slanted well to Qatar, building a refinery and storage, putting in pumps, etc in my backyard here in NC.  Going to Fenway Park and have $30 a gallon bottled water with the action to cool off.  Just bought a $30,000 a gallon perfum for my Honey.  But, I'm really pissed at Exxon making 30 cents a gallon on a high quality, dependable product.   Whoops-- the neighbors complained about my refinery, I struck a dry hole, EPA fined me, I didn't have 3 billion dollars to fund the whole thing.  But I love my congress person for stopping Nuclear power, blocking domestic drilling, taking money from the loonies, etc.  Think I'll have a foreign owned(soon) Bud at $12 a gallon chill out.  But, don't fret- I'm still mad at Shell and Valero for paying billions in taxes to government.

Touche - it's simple supply and demand.  Demand in Asia is growing faster than we can even fathom and simple economics increases the price.  If other nations pay more than us and don't like that, they should review their tax policies, not OPEC.  We need more supply and IMHO this is in part the exceedingly high cost of environmentalism.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 14:39:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

Touche - it's simple supply and demand.  Demand in Asia is growing faster than we can even fathom and simple economics increases the price.  If other nations pay more than us and don't like that, they should review their tax policies, not OPEC.  We need more supply and IMHO this is in part the exceedingly high cost of environmentalism.

I'm not sure where this is headed, but I think the problem is that we are not paying the cost of environmmentalism and what we need is to reduce demand rather than increase supply of something that is finite in nature.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 18:57:27 »
Okay I volunteer you to stop driving.   ;)
quote:
Originally posted by scoot

quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

I'm not sure where this is headed, but I think the problem is that we are not paying the cost of environmmentalism and what we need is to reduce demand rather than increase supply of something that is finite in nature.