Author Topic: Gahh soft top installation instructions  (Read 6934 times)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Gahh soft top installation instructions
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2022, 20:17:28 »
Congratulations on the birth of your new apprentice

Have a look on here regarding the tensioning wire

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33927.msg248434#msg248434
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 20:21:20 »
So I ended up just cutting the tension wires once I had tightened and screwed them down.  The one did unravel a bit before I got it stuffed down the hole but hopefully I'll never have to touch them again for as long as the top lasts.

I would like some comment if possible on the two strips of fabric along the back part of the window.  I assume there is a reason for having them but I don't know what it is and am unable to find any other pictures or reference to there being two strips.  My top isn't from GAHH, but KHM.

BobH, your post went up as I was typing mine.  I had the routing sorted, it was just too long.  Feeding it down the hole it would hit the bottom and still have slack between the screw down and hole.  I couldn't stuff anymore into the hole.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 20:25:45 by Jordan »
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2022, 20:27:58 »
is this the part of the hood you're asking about, see reply 1609?

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18284.msg158455#msg158455

UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2022, 21:42:19 »
is this the part of the hood you're asking about, see reply 1609?

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18284.msg158455#msg158455

BobH, that is perfect.  Thank you. I couldn't understand why there would be two strips.  I glue them both down as this part of the top is under a lot of stress so it just adds some reinforcement.  I can now proceed with finishing off the top.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2022, 23:28:08 »
Sorry I didn't log in for a while so just saw your question. Yes there are two strips to glue down and it is for reinforcement as answered already. you glue down the bottom one to the frame and the apply glue to top one and then glue that down . then metal trim will hold it all in place. I had to re do this a couple of times to get it right so it stretches the top with no wrinkles. I worked from the top part downwards.

Hope that helps. I unlatched the back bow to help in stretching it so rolled edge lines up to the angled frame.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2022, 15:48:20 »
 Marcus

I was just wondering what type of rivets did you eventually use to secure the straps to the second bow?  Also how did it all turn out? It looks like the top you ordered was more complete than the one I purchased in that it had new wire and new straps with elastic pre installed.

Regards

Pinder

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 16:37:08 »
Marcus

I was just wondering what type of rivets did you eventually use to secure the straps to the second bow?  Also how did it all turn out? It looks like the top you ordered was more complete than the one I purchased in that it had new wire and new straps with elastic pre installed.

Regards

Pinder

Pinder, the new top looks fantastic.  I'll post a pic once I get back out to the barn.

I tried out a few rivets using the old strap on a piece of steel, similar in thickness to the end of the bow rod.  I ended up using a standard aluminum pop rivet, I think 5/32 x 1/4" as I couldn't get anything metric.  The flat part of the rivet was on the fabric side (see pic below).  Once the rivet was tightened I put the fabric side on a clean piece of steel and hammered the expanded rivet on the other side until it was nice and flat.  I ran my finger over it to make sure there were no sharp edges that could catch the top.  You would never see that side so I wasn't too concerned with how it looked.  Obviously I did this before I secured the strap to the frame.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2022, 14:45:05 »
That looks great. I would have tried the same type of rivet. Great job.

Duncan200

• Senior
  • Australia, Victoria, Rowville
  • Just started my Restoration
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2023, 11:19:56 »
Hi Marcus,

A slightly delayed post but here goes.

This is the first picture I’ve seen on the forum that shows the 1st Bow and how it’s fitted to the soft top.

I’m early in the process of fitting my top and between this and the earlier post from Bob showing pictures, I think I’ll be able to work it out.

My cars old soft top appeared to have never come with the first bow, if it did, in it 57 years of life, it’s gone missing.

My new soft top comes with the fabric to fit around the first bow, I am going to head to my local Bunnings (Home Depot/Hardware Store) and buy a 16mm 1 metre piece of aluminium tube to fashion in to a bow.

I have had what I thought to be a pretty thorough search of the forum and can’t seem to find anything on whether the soft top has 3 or 4 bows.

Maybe I’m the only one who has lost the fourth bow and only discovered it due to the new soft top I’ve been supplied?

Cheers Doug
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2000 MB CLK430 Convertible
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S
2019 Audi SQ7 Special Edition

Duncan200

• Senior
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2023, 06:08:38 »
Hi All,

I thought I'd reply again to bump this thread as I need to ask a question.

I was going to purchase 16mm diameter aluminium tube to make up a new first bow since mine is missing.

It looks as though the bow is smaller in diameter than 16mm.

Can I ask someone to please measure their first bow and tell me its diameter?

Once known, I can make one up.

Thanks Doug
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2023, 08:44:16 »
Hello Doug, i just measured mine on a 1965 car, and it's 16mm diameter, i took a couple of pictures showing the welded bracket and fixing
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Duncan200

• Senior
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2023, 11:03:29 »
Hi Bob,

Thanks mate, but I’m actually after the dimensions of the 1st bow that is just attached to the straps.

If you look at the pics of my earlier post you can see the bow you’ve measured in the second flaps of fabric, I know that one is 16mm.

The one I need is in front of that one, between it and the front piece that sits on top of the windscreen frame.

Thanks for trying to help.

Doug
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2023, 12:13:09 »
Sorry Doug, i didn't class that piece as a bow, as it's not part of the frame, it's a bar with flattened ends, riveted into the canvas

It's 10 or 11mm, difficult to measure accurately, pictures below
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather