Author Topic: Inner Bearing Races (Sleeves) on Axle Pivot Shaft, Interference Fit?  (Read 1303 times)

JohnnyC

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Escondido, CA
Greetings,

I am in process of a rear axle rebuild and I can't find information about the fit of the sleeves (Figure 35-5/5, items 11a and 11b, BBB) on the connecting bolt, item 7. When I disassembled the assembly, the sleeves were not a press fit, and with very light force I was able to slide them off the connecting bolt.  I now have new sleeves and they slide on the connecting bolt very nicely (after cleaning of course.)

I am concerned that the sleeves should be an interference fit onto the connecting bolt at their specific location to mate-up to the right axle half yoke brass bushings, which I plan on replacing. I am thinking the manufacturing tolerance was made too large for an interference if required.  Picture attached.

Thank you all for this forum.
Cheers and God Bless,
John C.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 02:06:23 by JohnnyC »
John
'70 280SL (In Rebuild), Dk Olive
'85 BMW Euro M635csi, Polaris Silver
'54 MG TF, Black
'01 Lazy Daze RV, White/Tan
'10 Genesis Coupe, Silver
'19 F150, Black

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
They should just slide on to the shaft. Oddly, even though they're hardened and turn in brass bushings, they will often show a lot more wear than the softer bushings after years of use. Maybe  someone can explain this.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

JohnnyC

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Escondido, CA
Thank you Benz Dr.

It is a strange set-up.  The sleeves that I removed did have wear on them (chrome removal) from the brass-grooved bushings on the yoke. What is interesting to me is the sleeves did not wear-down the connecting bolt surface without an interference fit.  Perhaps they are loaded in such a way that does not permit the sleeves to rotate on the bolt (sleeves/washers stack-up). Being that I removed them without much force, I believe you are correct, as I agree also.

Cheers and thank you,
JohnnyC
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:53:05 by JohnnyC »
John
'54 MG TF, Black
'19 F150, Black

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
If there is hard dirt etc that imbeds itself in the brass it will wear the harder metal away instead of wearing the softer metal. That could be the cause.

I have a cast iron plate I imbed diamond dust on it and hone carbide bits. The cast iron remains relatively unchanged.
1970 280 SL

JohnnyC

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Escondido, CA
Thank you, Kevkeller.

I understand what you're saying. Never thought of it like that, makes sense to me. I'll change-out the brass bushings also, and ream if needed.  I'll post pictures later of the individual sleeves and bushings.

Cheers and thank you,
John C.
John
'54 MG TF, Black
'19 F150, Black