Author Topic: FINAL UPDATE FOR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !  (Read 9484 times)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: FINAL UPDATE FPR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 02:50:09 »
Four photos from today's outing near Niagara Falls.
There are also two videos which I have posted to my personal website since the files are far too large to attach to a forum post.
See
https://peter.jedicke.ca/D230SL/video%202021-09-19%201.mp4
and
https://peter.jedicke.ca/D230SL/video%202021-09-19%207.mp4
In the second video, the sound is merely the wind on my smartphone microphone, not the pleasant roar of the Pagodas
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:13:45 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 06:13:57 »
nice photos.  Some familiar faces there.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 13:55:05 »
Great shots!!  Would you mind if I posted those on my social media?  If so, you can email them to me jason.plugowskyATgmailDOTcom

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 14:07:27 »
Saturday Lake Ontario

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 14:30:26 »
Saturday 13th St Winery

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2021, 14:56:26 »
Crystal Beach

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2021, 15:37:34 »
I want to thank you all again for a great weekend.  It was generous of you to extend an invite to the new guy and non Pagoda owner at that.  Though if you knew how ratty the Fintail was you might not have.   ;D  Next time I'll at least throw on some hubcaps.  Maybe a wash (probably not).

What was especially nice was that we didn't have to spend the weekend talking about cars!  It's wonderful that the cars can bring us together but it is, as Dieter pointed out, about the people.  You are all wonderful folks, and it truly was great chatting with you all about everything under-the-sun and not just about what the correct length is of the metric bolt for the trunk hinge.

A thanks to our secret (but not secret?) member and lovely wife for organizing and gifting Saturday's wine tasting that was a great experience.  I'm trying to respect the initial request for privacy but I think we all know who this was?

Another thanks to everyone for the gifts of wine, they will enjoyed with thoughts of the lovely weekend together.

A special thanks again to Dieter for spending all the time and effort to bring us all together this weekend.

And a final very special thanks to the gods, or fates for helping us find Dieter's sandal.  Without that stroke of luck he would have spent Sunday walking in circles  ;D

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2021, 20:30:43 »
The initial intent of this trip was to demonstrate how simple it is to get together in our immediate living area State or Provence and or in various other areas of the world with members of our sl113.org site here in Canada and to perhaps inspire more of our members to do the same. I started out with two events here in North America that were planned and later canceled again for the second year due to Covid-19.

I was determined not to give up and replaced the 2 events with one in the Toronto area and another one in the Niagara area. Two events that we could control with the published requirements like wearing a mask when required and maintain physical distancing.

So the months went by, more members joined and some had to step back due to other Family or Business issue. As it turns out it was a wonderful weekend. Meeting people from previous events like and new Members is what this is all about. Exchanging information about our cars is only a additional benefit as we meet and exchange stories. Exploring the backroads were we live is another and I do like to once again thank Jason and his wife Aimee for taking us on a very nice route from the first ever opened Tim Horton location in Hamilton up to the 13 Street Winery.

Special thanks also go to Peter Jamieson for arranging such a warm and special welcome for us at the 13 Street Winery. It was truly wonderful being entertained during lunch by teaching some of the ladies to open Champaign and wine bottles using a sored like knife the tradition comes from Napoleon’s cavalry, who would use their swords to lop the tops off bottles when celebrating military victory. In modern days, the ritual is mostly seen in tasting rooms and lavish restaurants, as the bottles were opened they were then served as samples during lunch to us. What a wonderful and entertaining way to have lunch.

For Sunday Jason developed a great trip route after my initial route inland of the Niagara Area. We ended up at the Megalomaniac Winery before the rest of us separated with memories of a great trip.

On Saturday evening I had reservations for dinner at the Skylone revolving restaurant. I know it is a pricey event, however, I wanted to treat myself, there are memories going back to 1960 why I did this, that’s another story. This place is mostly for lovers and special dates. So the waiter ask me what my special occasion is, so I told him I’ll be 84 in a day and a half and while in town like to celebrate it here. Soon there after a nice houngan lady arrived with her camera and took this picture and shortly thereafter presented it to me. It was a special weekend for me (with some minor issues, nothing major that cannot be handled). I do hope everyone had a wonderful time and as I read above you all did.

Thanks for the nice Birthday wishes, stay safe till we meet again.

Dieter

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2021, 20:53:06 »
Happy Birthday, Dieter! It was a fine project for the weekend.
Jason's post mentioned the improbable legend of Dieter's sandals...
Peter J

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2021, 17:31:48 »
Oh yes the sandal story, quite funny. Unfortunately Peter without words the picture has no meaning. Let me elaborate.

On Sunday morning I was not so luckey. My GPS took me on a wild goose chase trying to find our Sunday morning meeting place. When I was looking for my cell phone and could not find it, I got out off the car to look under the seats. Getting back into the car I left one sandle without noticing it behind on the street. Since nothing worked for me I decided to drive along the Niagara Parkway in the hope to find a Pagoda or two. Well, my luck changed and I found all of you, except by now I noticed the missing sandel,

Wenn we then continued our journy I followed Jason and he pilled over where I last stopped and got out off the car when he returned he waved my sandel jubilant in the air it was very lonely on the street were it slipped off my foot when I last got into the car.

Needless to mention I was about 1 hour without my sandal, my friends offered to lend me some of their shoes, however, all too small. I am so thankful to Jason for spotting my sandal and this of course resulted in a nice Sunday as I had planned it.

My cell phone somehow slipped down to the driver's door and got damaged when the door got closed (glass broken and I can no longer recieve incoming calls), Jason tried to call me and was not able to do so. Oh well, time for a new iPhone anyway.

Dieter

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2021, 20:17:03 »
I was counting on you to tell the story in your own words, Dieter  :)
The likelihood that Jason would just happen to see it on the road is pretty slim, so it's an amazing story. After all, Jason was last in the convoy at that point, meaning the rest of us missed seeing your sandal there as we drove past.
Of course, the rest of the drive, we saw sandals everywhere
Peter J

Peter Jamieson

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2021, 07:37:54 »
Thanks Dieter, for all your hard work to organize this event. Great to meet everyone and know you had fun touring the Niagara wine region. We also had great weather. Jason thanks for your route planning. Best to all.
Peter Jamieson

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: FINAL UPDATE FOR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2022, 19:38:28 »
Peter (PJ) actually I was the last one in the convoy, (behind Jason) so I parked behind him when hi spotted my lost sandel.

Peter (Peter Jamieson) I like to once thank you for organizing such a lovely wine tasting and lunch arrangement for us all at the 13 Street Winery it was simply wonderful and a great time had by all. I hope to make it this year up to your area if I can.

Best to ALL stay safe and a Happy New Year!

Dieter

Frontseat Driving

Re: FINAL UPDATE FOR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2022, 23:49:59 »
Hi gang!

I had a request for photos a while back that I never fulfilled.  And to my chagrin I cannot remember who the request came from.  Please remind me and I'll get those out to you ASAP. 

I hope we can all get out again this year.  If there is any interest let me know, I'm entering the planning stages of the year now!!