Author Topic: FINAL UPDATE FOR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !  (Read 9455 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
FINAL UPDATE FOR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !
« on: July 13, 2021, 20:28:43 »
Are you part of our Weekend Road Trip?
There has been a change in our planes
Beyond my control please
CHECK YOUR INBOX
Sept. 14, 2021

This will be my FINAL UPDATE for our September 18 & 19, 2021                                                                             
Trip to Niagara Falls and Road Trip

UPDATED Monday, September 6, 2021

First let me apologize for the lengthy posts that have been required to keep you informed about our planned Fall Road Trip in our Province of Ontario Canada. Our American friends must think we don't know what's up or down LOL. However, with both of the original planned events having been canceled due to covid-19 it was not easy to put all this together. In the end all is well we have 15 cars and 29 people that will venture upon the open road, have some fun and enjoy our roads for a fall weekend.

Speaking of roads, the plan original was that Jason, (our site ID for Jason is Frontseat Driving), was going to work out our road trip details for Sunday, September 19th. Looks like Jason is very busy with his profession and to this end communication has been poor to finalize something of a road trip plan. Since there are now only 11 days to go I decided to prepare a road trip plan myself this past weekend. I like to thank Jason for his offer and I fully understand that duties to his family and job as well as other commitments Jason has come first. 

All individuals that are participating on this trip should have received my PDF Files Issue 01 and issue 02. I am attaching here with the final PDF File issue 01. BTW, I will also e-mail this file to you all, some of you might not have the time to check into the forum. Please do check your Inbox and drop me a brief message so I can know you do have the FINAL file.

File Name: FINAL NIAGARA DAY 1 & 2.pdf

You will find this file at the end of this first post. Click on it for the file to open then download it for your iPad, Smart Phone or whatever device you will take along on the road trip (print only the directions in order to save your colour cartridge).

Please let me know should you have any questions whatsoever and I shall get back to you ASP for that matter let me know if you don't like something about the road trip. For the main event drive along the Niagara Parkway (Fort George back to the Niagara Falls area), in my research I came across something very interesting. Apparently Sir Winston Churchill  was was driven along this stretch of the new Niagara Parkway after it was completed in 1936 and stated it to be  "the prettiest Sunday drive in the World" So I figured what waa good for Winston will  defiantly be just fine for us Pagoda enthusiast. ~smile~

So this brings me to the end, hoping to get a note from all of you that you have recieved the FINAL PDF file or any questions you might have.

I shall post to you now the PDF file as well to your private in box just in case you don't see it here. We at the Pagoda SL Group don't like to leave anyone behind ~smiles~ 

Drive save and we shall see you soon.

Dieter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE 5 August 28, 2021
Another week has passed and September is upon us. This update will put us all on the same page as to where everyone is traveling from and where we can expect meet them on Saturday, September 18, 2021. Timing, addresses and meeting points are in my PDF file posted to everyone some time ago. If you should not seen, received or lost this file drop me a line and I will post one to you without delay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Date there are 12 cars 23 people parties that have confirmed there participation and traveling to meeting points (provided in the PDF File Issue 02)) on Day 1 Sept. 18, 2021 as follows;

Bill V. (Tycoon), Peter J. (Peter Jamieson) and Garry C. (Carson) are driving together and will meet the group at the 13 Street Winery at Noon Sept 18, 2021.

Laurie (laurie), Manas, Marcus (Jordan) and Simon (S McBride) is planning to drive direct to the 13 Winery.

Dan C. (Benz Dr,), Hugh R. (Hugh), George H (ghenne) and Dieter S. (Rolf-Dieter) are driving together and will make a stop at the Tim Horton’s in Hamilton on Ottawa Street then continue to the 13 Street winery.

Jason P, (Frontseat Driving) will join Dan, Hugh and Dieter at the Tim Hortons and then continue together to the 13 Street Winery. Jason is working on a route for us all and as soon as I have it, we (Jason or I), will provide it here in the FINAL UPDATE here.

Unfortunately Peter (PJ), will not be joining us with his wife Dianne, both have a commitment that surfaced since Peter and Dianna planned to join us. However, Peter and Dianne are planning a drive to the Niagara area and may join us at the end of our drive (perhaps for lunch) on Sunday September 19, 2021.

Catherine H. (cherring) will only be able to join us on Sunday (meting place will be provided soon for the start of our Sunday drive).

I am still waiting for 3 individuals to confirm and as mentioned above Catherine will join us only on Day 2, Sunday September 19, 2021.

I will e-mail Members from th Greater Toronto Area (GTA), today a private e-mail and hope that one Member of the GTA take the lead and propose a place to meet and then travel as a group to the 13 Street Winery. It would certainly be more fun to travel together then solo. Everyone should have the PDF File issue 02 (e-mail me if not) so you can if you wish join the group in Hamilton at Tim Horton’s. There are 10 to 12 parking spots I understand. Jason is planning a route fro Tim's to the 13 Street winery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will as mentioned above issue one more UPDATE to let you all know what the meeting point will be for Sunday Morning for our 2 to 3 hour drive once Jason P. will provide the route for Hamilton to the 13 Street Winery inner St Catherine ON, and the round trip route from the meeting place near Niagara Falls back to the falls. So please check in here as we get closer to pick up this information. Also check your e-mail Inbox or Trash Folder :) Also Not to forget our GPS and an Ambrella as we all know it will be raining a bit near the falls and you dont want to get wet now do you ~Grin~

Should there be any typos. errors or changes please let me know.

Dieter (Rolf Dieter)

----------------------------------END AUG 29 UPDATE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE 4 ... Monday, August 22, 2021

Hello again to Everyone that is part of the Niagara Falls 2 Day trip,

I hope you all had a nice weekend. This note here in the forum Event area and a follow up by e-mail is addressed to each Participants for our planned Niagara Falls trip. Including myself we will be 11 cars so far and 21 people. I will travel solo. I am still waiting for 4 parties to respond to my 5 questions I posted below in my last UPDATE 3 on August 1st.

Most of us will join the group at the 13 Street Winery near St Catherines, ON. Some in Hamilton, ON at the Tim Hortons Coffee shop that is the first one opened in May 1964. Now there are (since Dec. 2018) 4,846 locations around the world. The Hamilton Tim Hortons has some photos and history displayed and should be a very interesting place to visit for a brief coffee break.

One of our highlight (among the Niagara Falls and the road trip on Sunday Sept 19), will I am sure be the 13 Street Winery on Saturday September 18th. The visit will begin with a casual wine tasting in the amphitheatre (just off the Wine Bar). Anyone that wishes to take there lunch can order it prior to the wine tasting. Lunch then will take place shortly after the wine tasting. After lunch a visit to the Bakery is planned followed by a stop at the Wine Bar and Sculpture Park. A formal tour of the Gallery is planned at 1:45 with staff member Margie Galita of the winery will then end our visit. I will properly purchase some wine to take home as I think others have in mind as well.

I think it would be nice if all Members from the Toronto and surrounding GTA would arrange traveling together to Hamilton and or directly to the 13 Street Winery. Remember meeting at the winery is 12:00 Noon on Saturday Sept. 18th for the wine tasting, followed by lunch, a visit to the bakery etc. as mentioned above. I will drop off an e-mail to all Toronto Members to see if one of them like to organize this and a meeting place so they all can travel together.

I will issue here another UPDATE as soon as Jason completed his road trip route for us Tim Horton to the 13 Street Winery for Saturday and the route we will take Sunday for 2 to 3 hours around the Niagara Falls area.

Meantime, stay safe and safe travels.

Dieter
London, Ontario

UPDATE 3 --- August 1, 2021

Hello Everyone that are part of the Niagara 2 Day trip,

I hope you all had a nice weekend. This e-mail is addressed to all 15 Participants for our planned Niagara trip including myself we will be 16.

Only 7 weeks to go now …. Welcome to August 2021 I'm sure we all are looking forward to an outing and to meet other members on the weekend of September 18 and 19. This e-mail is going out too all 15 parties that are part of the Niagara Event on the aforementioned weekend. Those Members are;

Bill V, Blue Mountain ON - Peter J, Blue Collingwood ON -  Garry C. Blue Mountain ON - Dan C, Port Lampton ON - Dorli & Hugh R. London ON. - Peter & Diane J. - London  ON Dieter S, London ON. - Jason P, Hamilton ON - Manas P, Toronto ON - Mark C. Mississauga ON - Catherine H. Toronto ON - Marcus J Niagara Falls ON -
George H. Toronto ON - Douglas D,  Toronto ON - Catherine H,  Toronto ON. - Laurie, Peterborough ON.

I like to still get the following Information from each of you;

1) Have you all received my PDF File Road Trip Niagara Falls issue 2 ? This file contains “Meeting Locations and timing” YES OR NO

2) At what Meeting Location are you planning to join us ? Please let me know if that is London, Hamilton or the 13 Street Winery. I need to know this since I don’t like to wait longer then the departure time I provided in the PDF File.

3) As I mentioned earlier, I like to prepare Name Tags for everyone. In order to do so I need to know, are you traveling alone or with someone. If you are having a passenger with you please let me have the First Name of your companion.

4) Covid is still with us and different areas (Provinces and Cities) are making as it seams different rules and regulations. As a Group traveling together we should know if everyone has recieved their 2 vaccination shots or not. So the question I like to ask Have you or will you have received your second vaccination shot 2 weeks prior we meet that date would be September 3rd 2021? YES OR NO

5) Most of you will be attending both day 1 and 2, September 18 & 19. A few of you will be attending only one of those days. Please let me know if you are attending only 1 day or both, if only one of those days please let me know. Both Days or One Day (provide the Day Saturday or Sunday).

You can send me a brief e-mail with your reply to questions 1 to 5 or add a post here in the thread.

We should shortly hear from Jason the road trip plan he has put together for us around the Falls area.

Markus can I ask you what a good meeting point would be to meet on Sunday morning for our Road Trip Departure you are best qualified since you do live in Niagara Falls area?. Would you suggest a Shopping Centre Parking Lot or one of the major hotel outside parking areas. Thanks in advance for your help.

Locking forward to see you all in September,

Dieter
London, Ontario

UPDATE 2 --- July 20, 2021

If you wish to dine at the revolving Skylon, they open the reservation calendar for September now. I made mine for Saturday, September 18  2021 for 8:30 pm

-----> https://www.skylon.com

Access to the observation deck is included with dinner reservation.

Dieter

UPDATE 1 --- July 18, 2021

I posted today to each Member listed in the Spreadsheet file my now completed PDF Issue 02. This file contains our Meeting Locations for travel in the direction to Niagara Falls for Day 1 of our 2 Day Road Trip.

A PM was posted to all other Members that have shown interest for both the Niagara and Toronto Event, however have not yet provided a private e-mail to me so that I may post the completed PDF file issue 02 to them also. An e-mail will advise those Member by directing them to the PM Message Section and it will hopefully yeald a reply to me so that I may also post the PDF file to those Members.

The Road Trip Details are being completed by Jason P. (Frontseat Driver). Once completed Jason or I will let you know here as an UPDATE by the end of July that a PDF file containing Road Trip Details for Day 2 can be found in your private e-mail.

Thanks,

Dieter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE NOTE !

This thread is an UPDATE for Members that are planning to attend the TORONTO Ontario Canada Road Trip;

The AACA antique-automotive-flea-market
Has Been CANCELED
due to Covid 19

See Here ---> http://www.aacaontario.ca/antique-automotive-flea-market.html

Niagara Falls Event is a Go
See Here ----> https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33493.0

If anyone that originally signed up for the Toronto Road Trip likes to organize something please do so. If so I recommend the Aircraft Museum that Colin Ferns mentioned or a car museum east of Toronto. I will not be able to help with the Toronto Road Trip since I am involved with the Niagara Road Trip. So please one of the interested original Members that were interested for the Toronto Road Trip please step forward ,,,, and take the lead THANKS ..... Dieter

------------------ UPDATE JULY 12, 2021 see above --------------------
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 23:06:53 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: TORONTO ONTARIO AACA EVENT CANCELLED NIAGARA OK
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 20:46:43 »
Added UPDATE 01 To Reply 1 above Dated Saturday July 18, 2021

Dieter

opopotts

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, ON, Douglas Dees
Re: TORONTO ONTARIO AACA EVENT CANCELLED NIAGARA OK
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 18:18:16 »
Dieter: I got the update.  f my wife gets her job renewed at York U, she cannot attend
Doug

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: AACA Event is CANCELLED The NIAGARA Falls Event is OK
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 00:41:31 »
Hi Doug,

Please let me know once you know. Will you then still attend?

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 21:46:39 »
Added Update 2 to thé First post above

Dieter

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 17:30:00 »
I received issue #2!

I JUST remembered to invite my wife LOL.  I'll let you know if she can make it. 

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 22:03:46 »
Hey gang, I've been hitting the road pretty hard planning the Sunday cruise.  I'll be posting some photos to Instagram and Facebook @frontseatdriving if you'd like a preview of what to expect!!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 20:54:57 »
Added UPDATE 04 To Reply 1 above Dated Monday August 22, 2021

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 17:41:05 »
ADDED  ~~~~ UPDATE 5 ~~~~ above in the first post.

Dieter

Tycoon

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Blue Mountains
  • ‘68 Euro 280
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 03:38:15 »
Dieter, thank you for all you efforts and organization. Looking forward to meetin you at the winery on Saturday!
Bill & Peggy

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: FINAL UPDATE FPR NIAGARA FALLS TRIP !
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 17:43:28 »
This will be my FINAL UPDATE for our September 18 & 19                           Trip to Niagara Falls and Road Trip

All individuals that are participating on this trip should have recieved by now my PDF Files Issue 01 and issu 02.  My final PDF File issue 01.

My final PDF File;  File Name: FINAL NIAGARA DAY 1 & 2.pdf

You will find this file at the end of the first post above of this thread. Click on it for the file to open then download it for your iPad, SmartPhone or whatever device tou will take along on the trip.

Go to the first post to find and open this file, it containts driving directions for Saturday and Sunday September 18 & 18.

I shall continue this message above at the very first post of this thread.

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 00:33:56 »
Looks like some people cannot find or locate the attached file to Post Number ZER0.
I call the FIRST post ZERO since the very next post in this thread is called Reply # 1

So here is a hint, find the attached PDF file I attached beteween, Post ZERO and Reply # 1 ~grin~

Dieter

On second thought why dont I make it easy and attach the file below as well, no wories I also e-mailed it to you allong with a cell phone file, so check your Inbox or Trash Folder.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 00:42:47 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 12:39:48 »
Are you part of our Weekend Road Trip?
There has been a change in our planes
Beyond my control please
CHECK YOUR INBOX
Sept. 14, 2021

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 14:22:04 »
Thank you Dieter for arranging all this.  I know how much time and energy it takes.

For those of your coming from Hamilton and especially Toronto, if you plan to be at the winery for 12 you will be late.  Traffic Niagara bound on Saturday is stop and go, especially if you leave later in the morning.  This weekend is also the Niagara Wine and Grape Festival (https://niagarawinefestival.com/) so it will just add to the traffic. Some of you may want to partake in some of the events.

Due to traffic considerations leave 60 minutes earlier than you had planned.  If you are early you can visit Jordan village (see map attached).  It has a number of quaint shops and you can easily burn 30 to 60 minutes looking around.  It is a few minutes to the winery (see map).  Take the Jordan Road exit (exit #55).  You'll know its close when you pass the steel, partially submerged schooner as you pass Vineland.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 17:40:17 »
For everyone attending Sunday's drive if you are interested in extending the drive along the parkway I have planned a route that spans the Niagara Parkway, stretches to the Lake Erie shoreline and cuts across the Niagara Peninsula to the scenic views along the escarpment and ending along the QEW in the Grimsby area. 

The route allows you to chose a length that you are comfortable with as it has several points of easy access to major highways.  If you are adventurous you can do the entire length, if you have a long drive home you can partake in a smaller portion. 

I will provide route instructions on Sunday.

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 21:24:14 »
Sunday Tour

The tour starts by following along the shoreline of the Niagara River on a lovely winding two lane with constant views of the river and the US shoreline.  We will then weave our way mid peninsula through winding tree-lined rural roads ending up at a historic beach community on the sunny shore of Lake Erie at about 10:40.  This is the furthest point from Toronto that the tour will reach.

From here we'll follow more rural two lane  to the historic city of Port Colborne the southern terminus of the Welland Canal where we are likely to see freighters ambling by.  It should be about 11:30 and you are ready for lunch there are a number of spots with views of  the canal and others mid town.  At this point you are 20 minutes from highway 406 leading to the QEW.

I hope most of you stick around as we travel through a formally gated community of historic American summer homes and club houses with a distinct southern architectural style and then on to a charming and more humble lake front community. If you'd like to bring a bathing suit a public beach marks our turn northward towards a lunch stop.  We'll leave the Lake Erie shoreline for more rural mid peninsula two lane, then along the snaking Welland River.  At roughly 11:45 we'll roll into Fonthill another opportunity for a lunch, gas, etc.  At this point you are only 5 minutes from Highway 406 and 2 hours from Toronto.

Leaving Fonthill we will be doing our best impression of the Mille Miglia Rally as we travel along the twistiest roads I've yet to discover in southern Ontario.  We'll pass several wineries, roadside markets, along the undulating escarpment, with a chance to stop a beautiful waterfall and finally ending at a winery with a stunning view of the rich vinelands, the shimmering waters of Lake Ontario and if the skies permit views of the CN Tower on the other side.  Assuming an hour and a half for stops, and lunch we should arrive at the end at approximately 2/2:30

Without knowing how many (if any LOL) will still be along for the drive I can't make arrangements for tastings.  However they have a sizeable patio where we can enjoy a sip or two, and say our goodbyes.  The QEW is an easy 10 minutes away with Toronto less than two hours away (weekday rush hour estimate).

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 21:28:51 »
For those meeting in Hamilton I've devised a scenic route to the 13th Street Winery that includes some fantastic views along the edge of the escarpment, a charming neighbourhood of gingerbread homes, a fantastic photo opportunity at the edge of Lake Ontario and we will weave through Jordan as suggested.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 00:39:18 »
Thank you much Jason for organizing the Sunday Tour, much appreciated.

Marcus, thanks for the heads up on the traffic issue and suggest everyone to add the 60 minutes to the original departure time we had planned. I will post also to everyone tomorrow a final e-mail with the telephone list (the one I posted earlier turned out to be a bit smuchy and hard to read).

The 13 Street Winery has a spot for us arranged for parking. When you arrive go to the far back white building. The 13 Street Winery has reserved grass parking and Peter  Jamieson will be there to assist. If you read this before my e-mail tomorrow please add 60 minutes for the stretch frpm Hamilton to to 13 Street Winery.

Thanks,

Dieter

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 20:08:15 »
Here is a link to a map of the Hamilton to 13th St Winery leg of our journey.

You can use this link in Google Maps on your device tomorrow, or use it at home to print a map.

Google Maps is a very difficult tool for this kind of mapping.  As such the written directions can be confusing.  I will have clear written directions available for you.  However if you want a paper copy of the map please provide it yourself using this link.

https://goo.gl/maps/XTtJzgqzDeD7RXut9

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 02:41:37 »
Dieter's plan says the Sunday morning tour begins at the Niagara Whirlpool parking lot. Is that still the plan? What time will the tour start from there?
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 22:24:32 »
Peter, yes, meeting at the whirlpool aerocar parking lot at 10a.m.  Its on the parkway.

Couple of pics from todays lunch and meet and greet.  Beautiful day for a drive and lunch at the 13th Street Winery.  First pic shows Maria's skill at opening a sparkling wine.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:55:27 by Jordan »
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 05:10:50 »
Okay gang, it doesn't look like I will have a hard copy of the last leg of Sunday's cruise. 

I may be able to print some off in Welland during the lunch stop, however I've attached a PDF below.

You can use the PDF on your phone, or if you are at a hotel you can likely print a copy in the lobby or ask the desk if they can help. 

Worst case scenario we can play follow-the-leader.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 05:14:58 by Frontseat Driving »

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:34 »
Okay gang, it doesn't look like I will have a hard copy of the last leg of Sunday's cruise. 

I may be able to print some off in Welland during the lunch stop, however I've attached a PDF below.

You can use the PDF on your phone, or if you are at a hotel you can likely print a copy in the lobby or ask the desk if they can help. 

Worst case scenario we can play follow-the-leader.

Jason, I will print up some copies and bring them to our start point at the Whirlpool Aerocar.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Frontseat Driving

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 12:43:15 »
Jason, I will print up some copies and bring them to our start point at the Whirlpool Aerocar.

Brilliant!  Thank you.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 01:53:39 »
Had an absolutely fantastic Sunday drive and get together.  Happy Birthday to Dieter (for Monday the 20th) and thank you to Dieter and Jason for a great day and a great trip.  I started my day at 9:10a.m. to get gas and to drive to our meeting spot and it ended at just  before 6:00p.m.  Covered about 200km and it was a fantastic day.  People, weather, scenery, couldn't get any better.  Thanks again to everyone that attended and helped make this such a great day.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed