Author Topic: Emergency contact lists  (Read 11935 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Emergency contact lists
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 08:31:05 »
There is no emergency contact list button on the iPhone, as explained before. It is because the "Members" menu item is changed into an icon.

You will need to rotate your screen to landscape to access the Emergency Contact List.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 08:36:44 »
Great idea, would be happy to help out on the wild Atlantic way on the west coast of Ireland or anywhere on the island as its small.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 08:47:19 »
Note to everyone:

You'll need to add yourself to the list according to the instructions in this thread, or in the e-mail we sent. You must do this yourself, as according to the GDPR laws you will need to provide explicit permission to share your details with other members.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 20:09:02 »
Hi guys , maybe I didn’t understand well , but  you have to sign as emergency contact in order to see the other contacts ?
I’m not sure if I’m the best and experienced person to give emergency help but if this is the only way , I will sign myself an try to help the others .
Thank you
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 20:39:58 »
Peter,
To avoid confusion for people wanting to joining the list, may I recommend that you add on the cover of the Emergency Contact List "To add your name to the Emergency Contact List, click here:" - and add the (clickable) link to the profile page.
Gary
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 21:55:13 »
Hi guys , maybe I didn’t understand well , but  you have to sign as emergency contact in order to see the other contacts ?
I’m not sure if I’m the best and experienced person to give emergency help but if this is the only way , I will sign myself an try to help the others .
Thank you

If you can make a cup of tea or coffee, that is good enough! Even local knowledge may be of help, ie who you use for your Pagoda, some tools maybe, where to stay if car off road for a while etc

230SL

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 22:05:48 »
Peter,
To avoid confusion for people wanting to joining the list, may I recommend that you add on the cover of the Emergency Contact List "To add your name to the Emergency Contact List, click here:" - and add the (clickable) link to the profile page.
Gary

But doesn’t it have to be your own profile, so how would that work? Surely this would be more intrusive as the system would need to know your VPN to link to your own profile? (Sorry not an IT bod so may have terminology wrong).
Also, I think you have to have to accept being an emergency contact before you can see the list, although I can’t confirm this

I’m unclear why folk are finding this so difficult? I’m IT illiterate and managed to do it 🤣

Can only think, another ‘topic’ be added to the ‘landing page/dashboard’ that only members can access, titled something like ‘emergency contact - add your details’ and Peter (or someone else) can copy and paste the instructions in here, so they are easily found. But not to have it where folk can post comment as otherwise we end up with a long string again
230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 00:42:41 »
I’m unclear why folk are finding this so difficult? I’m IT illiterate and managed to do it 🤣

As we saw from the Pagoda World book ordering process, some things are not so obvious for everyone!

My suggestion was based on the assumption that the Emergency Contact List was available to all full members only, without having to join the list? And assumed that the access to the List was like access to the Tech Manual. Then, just makes it easier for members to add their contact info to the list.

But, as they say in crude translation, we know what the definition of ASSUME is... ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:00:10 by GM »
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

AndrewB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Forest
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2021, 07:15:05 »
I think I have signed up !
1969 280SL
1970 280SL (undergoing restoration)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 07:40:27 »
At the moment:
  • you need to be a member of the emergency contact list, to be able to download it. Why? As Katie says, everyone can help, even if you are not a mechanic. Think about it. Someone has trouble in your area/country. They do not know where to get spare parts, or who trusted local mechanics there are. You do. Or a trusted party where they can park their car safely. They might need your help with the local language... or just consolation.
  • secondly, the ECL is only useful if we have people around the world able to help. A single person in a state or country is not useful, if you are at the other end of the state. In order to make sure we have enough coverage on the list, you'll need to be on the list to get access to it.
  • Really, adding yourself is easy... go to Profile / Forum Profile and fill the three fields at the bottom

Alternatively, just read the detailed instructions in the e-mail everyone was sent.

Once we have sufficient world-wide coverage, I can always decide to open up the list to all Full Members.

Peter

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 08:04:29 »
Thanks Peter, as always 😁
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2021, 08:27:06 »
My suggestion was based on the assumption that the Emergency Contact List was available to all full members only, without having to join the list? And assumed that the access to the List was like access to the Tech Manual. Then, just makes it easier for members to add their contact info to the list.

As I've said in earlier postings, we need to do this in a way that is in accordance with European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) because we are sharing very personal data: your e-mail address and telephone number. We cannot do that with a list in the Technical Manual. It has to be via controlled access, and then:
  • a member needs to give explicit approval to share their data
  • that sharing of data must stop when the member is no longer a member

Especially that last point cannot be implemented with a list in the Technical Manual. The way this is implemented is using the controlled log-in and membership system of the Pagoda SL Group forums. Ticking the ECL checkbutton is your explicit approval (point 1). If you do not renew your full membership, or delete your membership, the system automatically enforces point 2.

Peter

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2021, 13:05:56 »
Awesome idea!  Added myself.

Yes, the nearest (geography) emergency contact may not be able to help you with exactly what you need, but may have local contacts for other SL113.ORG members, extreme car enthusiasts, mechanics, parts suppliers, etc. who can help.  Just call and get the ball rolling.

This is the most important point to remember about adding one's self to the directory list:  Just because you yourself might not be able to be of assistance personally isn't the most important thing.  You have local knowledge that some traveler in distress in your vicinity doesn't have.  Read my post (Reply #7) in the topic below:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27956.msg201336#msg201336

The "T" Register member I contacted when my fellow traveler's car stopped dead in the road in the middle of Smokey Mountain National Park did not himself render assistance - he knew the guy who could and got the ball rolling . . .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 15:34:34 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 15:22:47 »
Thanks for all your work, Peter!
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 21:39:11 »
I have been a member of the Ford Model A club since 2004 , and they have a book that states members in the USA.
It is very simple, has states , cities and names of members with phone numbers.
So when you travel and are in need of assistance you just pull out the book and make a phone call.

DO NOT complicate it with other info.
EX: repair garages.
KEEP IT SIMPLE
Tom M

71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 09:12:16 »
Surely one just print off the page(s) you need

To change the subject a little, it’s very disappointing, the lack of response for folks to put their names forward to help fellow Pagoda owners. 😢

Given the number of members we have, and how helpful everyone is on the forum, I’m surprised that the take up for folk saying they would help fellow Pagoda owners ‘in distress’ is not better? I think my old Triumph owners club emergency contact booklet had more names in it, which was only the UK, our group is world wide!

So come on chaps & chapesses, if you are happy to offer and/or  receive help on your problems in the forum, surely you can offer, at the very least, some tea and sympathy to  fellow likeminded members of the forum? Where all in the same ‘team’ after all 🥰

Katie
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2021, 14:50:06 »
It is summer holidays time. I’ll send out another mailing in a couple of months time…

Peter

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2021, 18:11:04 »
😁
230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2021, 18:33:22 »
...the lack of response for folks to put their names forward to help fellow Pagoda owners...I’m surprised that the take up for folk saying they would help fellow Pagoda owners ‘in distress’ is not better...

Not surprising actually. A large number of members have only posted once or twice, some not at all. They don't come here often to check what's going on. The email address we have may not be one they check regularly...so any and all kinds of things can happen.

It is August as Peter pointed out when most of Europe is asleep.

(PS. I added my information moments after the note came through, but doubtful we'll see you passing by anytime soon!)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Devizes Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2021, 08:19:04 »
Signed up   :D
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

enriquegarcia

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Arapahoe
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2021, 18:38:48 »
Great idea and I've updated my profile to sign up. Maybe a note to this effect can be included when membership renewal comes up?

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2021, 18:43:44 »
Signed up   :D

Well done!! And thank you
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2021, 19:34:26 »
I've added an explanation to the Technical Manual, such that I can refer to this in the Renewal and New Joiners pages...

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/EmergencyContactList

Peter

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2021, 20:12:02 »
I’m in the list . I realized that this forum is almost empty of people from italy . We should advertise our forum on Facebook pages.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2021, 20:23:32 »
We do, frequently. But we do not "control" the Facebook pages. So help us, by posting on these Facebook pages, referring to our group!