Author Topic: Emergency contact lists  (Read 11743 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Emergency contact lists
« on: June 07, 2021, 22:21:33 »
Hi folks

Apologies if there has already been such a suggestion and I’ve missed it.

So, many moons ago when I had a Triumph Spitfire IV, I belonged to the Triumph owners club, as one does.

Anyway, they had a scheme where they asked members to put their names and contact details forward if they were happy to help out fellow Triumph owners in distress, ie had broken down. There was a little form to complete which included obviously names, addresses and contact details, but also what help could be provided, ranging from mechanical help, tools, room to stay overnight, parking for your broken down car etc.

I’ve seen a few posts on various road trips etc, and indeed would like to do one myself at some point, but rather scared of breaking down without anyone to talk to about getting help

I would certainly be more than happy to help out fellow pagoda owners and I’m sure others would. You had to be a member of the Triumph owners club to access this, so I would imagine the same here given folks home information and also another good reason to become a member.

Any thoughts.

Katie
230SL

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
Re: Emergency contact lists
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 22:29:36 »
Great idea! Count me in
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 22:42:00 »
I like that, great idea.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 22:57:28 »
Smart! I like it!
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 23:01:59 »
I like it.  Unfortunately, I’m shocked that we only have a handful of folks in my area active here.  I’m wondering now if the local Mercedes Club has such a list
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 13:22:12 »
Count me in! Great idea!

James (Eddie) Black

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Pembroke
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 17:57:08 »
Excellent idea would be happy to be included
1967 Mercedes 250sl
1962 Jaguar Etype 3.8 Coupe

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 18:46:07 »
Good idea. Pls count me in.

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 19:05:52 »
I like the idea.  A major US-based motorcycle club publishes an annual little "Black Book" for their members which lists fellow members willing to help out, what facilities they have and what they are prepared to do.  Memo to the Membership Admins:  if this idea gets traction, a questionnaire could be put to the members when they renew.  This way a database could be built to create such an emergency network.  Of course, this being 2021, this should be an app which lists the nearest emergency contact based on where you are at the moment.  I would be happy to participate in a brainstorming.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 19:16:30 »
With thanks to all for positive reactions

I like the idea of a little black book😁

Maybe we could get a section placed on the members site, not sure how I do that?

I remember the ‘Board’ sending a mail shot to all members about past issues of pagoda world, maybe something similar could be done with this to kick it off. When it comes to renewals, reminders could be included to either ensure details are up to date and also ask if people wish to join the little black book group!

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about Apps, other than using them of course, but idea good so long as we can limit just to ourselves
230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 21:43:49 »
Hi Katie,

It is a wonderful and great idea. In addition what should be added would be the shop that the member would use for his or her maintenance needs (shop name, location and a phone number). The list should be sorted by shop location.

This way if one travels more then say 200 miles from his home (or across the country like Garry did) one can direct the tow truck in the direction of the shop.

I don’t know what our site regulation would be, I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate. I’m sure you plan to discuss this at the next board meeting. I make a print out of the area I travel to of members in that area so that I can post a PM to someone near by also I make a list of possible shops (using Google) looking for shops that service Mercedes, Porsche And other euro cars), before I leave town.

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel. I have to check I think amount my documents I have a listing of MB Dealerships I cannot remember if it came with my Pagoda or one of my AMG’s

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 21:56:04 »

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel.

Rolf-Dieter,

Based on my experience, I would be careful with the dealerships. Most of them do not have the talent any more to work on a pagoda. I further believe that this is nothing they like to work on for that reason. If it doesn't have a computer, telling them the problem, its gets tricky. You are likely better off with a good local mechanic that is somewhat familiar with older German cars.     
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 21:57:55 »
I think it is a good idea also. When i did my big trip around the USA i had the names of repair shops that i knew or that i had gathered from our site that i would have trucked my Pagoda to in the event of a break down in addition to some known parts suppliers and also rather than carry spares, had asked certain people to have available such things as fuel pump by Bob Youngman and ready to sent to me where ever i may have been.

Whilst i did not need any of these, it was nice to know  that i had this info if needed. 

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 22:00:48 »
Hi Katie,

It is a wonderful and great idea. In addition what should be added would be the shop that the member would use for his or her maintenance needs (shop name, location and a phone number). The list should be sorted by shop location.

This way if one travels more then say 200 miles from his home (or across the country like Garry did) one can direct the tow truck in the direction of the shop.

I don’t know what our site regulation would be, I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate. I’m sure you plan to discuss this at the next board meeting. I make a print out of the area I travel to of members in that area so that I can post a PM to someone near by also I make a list of possible shops (using Google) looking for shops that service Mercedes, Porsche And other euro cars), before I leave town.

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel. I have to check I think amount my documents I have a listing of MB Dealerships I cannot remember if it came with my Pagoda or one of my AMG’s

Dieter

Hi Dieter

I think we may get into sticky ground if we start ‘suggesting’ who may repair cars as could put one in an awkward position if for some reason something went wrong?  May be easy to just keep it simple to start with?

I’m not aware of when the next board meeting is, I was merely floating and idea to get folks thoughts. Maybe one of the Board members could PM me if they pick this up?

I’m not sure what you do not believe would be appropriate (I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate...). Do you mean providing your full address?

Casting my mind back to Triumph days, I believe there was effectively a table with counties (presume we would need countries as well as we wouldn’t want our ‘London’s’ and Birminghams’s mixed up for example..... that could cause even more confusion!.!?), then towns, contact name, contact number, then some tick boxes on what those individuals could help you with, even if just tea and sympathy 😂
230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 23:48:10 »
To keep it simple, my recommendation would be:
City/State/Country
Name
Phone number with text message capability

No personal address info is necessary.
If someone in an area needs help, they look up a participant in a nearby area, and can text that person in the area for recommendations of where to take their car.
No guarantees expressed or implied. YMMV
But at least it's better than nothing.
My 2 cents
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 16:53:18 »
Good idea, I would be up for that.

Hugh

• Regular
  • Canada, Ontario, London
  • Former Pagoda SL Group Board Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 16:49:27 »
I think it is a good idea.

I have made a note to bring the idea up at the next board meeting. Thanks for your creativity!
1967 Mercedes 250SL
1988 Ferrari Testarossa
1930 Ford Model A coupe
2011 Mercedes e350 sedan

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 07:08:23 »
I think it is a good idea.

I have made a note to bring the idea up at the next board meeting. Thanks for your creativity!

Thank you

I as going to contact Jon Bernardi as hadn’t seen comments from Board members  (albeit I mat may missed)

Maybe have ‘country reps’  maybe for large countries such as USA that may need to be divided up!!,, to update details  rather than leave it to board members to do? Obviously better if there could be an area for folks to update themselves

It can’t be too hard if the little Triumph Owners managed to do this many years back with little technology!,

Anyway, happy to  help if  needed

Katie

Katie
230SL

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:04 »
Hello Katie,
great idea, you can count also on me. Unfortunately, I do not have seen a lot response from Europe to this idea, but anyhow it is the beginning.
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 12:25:43 »
Katie i'd be glad to offer any pagodadriver a safe rest and more on the middle atlantic french coast... ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 13:18:09 »
I will be in as well.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 21:33:53 »
The BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of America has a booklet that comes out every year. It contains lists of members who offer emergency service. Tools, camp-side, overnight stay, towing, parking, coffee and conversation. Whatever level of support you can and want to offer to someone traveling through or having a problem. 
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 22:14:12 »
Katie i'd be glad to offer any pagodadriver a safe rest and more on the middle atlantic french coast... ;)

Ooh, La Rochelle!! My parents had a home a few miles away some years back, lovely part of the world. Maybe when I take Bessy Benz on a road trip, I can swing by and say hi?
230SL

yves

• Silver
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 17:25:43 »
Y're welcome.  Have a beer and a swim....and a pagoda talk in the garage  ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 23:52:00 »
The Board is working on a couple of ideas for this. The dicey part is making sure we stay compliant with the various privacy legalities out there.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 21:28:14 »
To add to what Jonny B said, yes the Board is working on serveral possibilities for a emergency contact list, but will take a few months to properly implement. 

Thank You for your patience.

Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 03:12:30 »
Of all the Marque Clubs of which I am a member, the New England M.G. "T" Register has been doing a membership and mutual aid directory the longest, since sometime in the 1980's, and I actually used it while on a driving tour in 1993. 

See Reply#4:  https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=32628.msg237443#msg237443

and Reply#7:  https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27956.msg201336#msg201336

In the days before everything was on the Internet, they contracted with Harris Publishing in White Plains, NY, which printed and distributed the books (hardbound, about 6X9, just about the right size to fit in the glove box or door pocket.)  As I recall, if one subscribed and submitted information one got a book.

These days the Membership List and Motor Assistance Directory are separate links on the Register web-site, for which one needs a current user ID and password.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 20:38:12 »
I believe if someone consents then that’s fine?

As other groups do this, Mike mentioned the BMW motorcycle club, I don’t see a problem?

Perhaps you could ask members to find out what the ‘rules’ are in their respective countries?

Happy to look at this from UK viewpoint.
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 11:00:31 »
Dear all,

it's just a matter of my time. We can do this in a GDPR correct way, as I've already informed the board. The way it would work is as follows:
  • I slightly modify the database/membership data to include a telephone number and a tick box "emergency contact list"
  • I create a (Full Member only) listing of the member list called "emergency contact list" with just country, state, city, name, telephone nr and e-mail address
  • when a member renews, we ask them to verify the contact details again, including telephone nr

Then at least we are ok with the GDPR, people will have given explicit consent to share "emergency help" data, and when their membership lapses, they go off the list automatically, and we delete their records automatically.

The full member listing I could even format as a small pdf booklet people can print and take along. After the summer I may have time to make these changes if the board wants to go ahead with this.

Ok, I've just implemented the first step.

If you are interested in adding yourself to the Emergency contact list, go to your Profile / Forum Profile.

At the bottom, two fields have been added:
  • Telephone number, please add in international format, e.g. +44 8984 1234 or +1 213-343-7894. We recommend using your mobile number
  • Emergency Contact, a checkbox which indicates your permission to participate in the emergency contact list, sharing your telephone number and e-mail with other members

Note: for privacy reasons other users cannot see your telephone number field. Only you can see yours. The booklet function will be restricted to members who have shared their own telephone number. Since the system cannot verify your telephone number, please take very good care when entering it. The Emergency Contact list will be a lot less useful if we do not have valid contact numbers in it.

Note 2: when your membership expires, and your data gets deleted, so does your contact data. You will no longer be included on the Emergency Contact list.

Note 3: the contact list is not static. It is updated every time a member includes his/her data. Before you travel, download the latest and greatest version!

So please start adding these fields and clicking the checkbox for future use. The booklet function will take some time to implement, but until there is data in the database there's not much point in adding it. So start adding your details. Click here! and look at the bottom fields.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:08:42 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 17:55:58 »
This sounds great ,Peter

Keep safe

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:16 »
Ok, I've created a menu button to retrieve the Emergency Contact List. It is under "Members" in the main menu bar.

Note: you only get to see this option if you have added a telephone number and the Emergency Contact list Checkmark. Please note, use the international formatting for your telephone number.

To date there are only 6 members who have added this. I'll look into producing a better formatted layout once there are many more Emergency Contacts.

If you have suggestions or spot errors please mail them to me at admin@sl113.org!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2021, 16:32:13 »
Great, Thanks Peter.

I have added my phone no and ticked the box but how do I get my name, postcode and email address on the page as 7 others have.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2021, 18:05:47 »
I have added my phone no and ticked the box but how do I get my name, postcode and email address on the page as 7 others have.

:-[ Oops... software error on my part... now resolved...

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2021, 18:15:00 »
Also, please check... if you modify your forum profile to add a telephone number, then the system asks for your password. You browser may have changed the username back to your old log-in name... so please check how you are listed in your profile or the Emergency Contact List. The system may have mangled your display name, it did to me.

For the telephone number, do add the + sign, the international access code, and spaces or dashes to make it easier to enter. Thanks for your cooperation.

Peter

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2021, 20:31:05 »
Hi Peter
How do I access the Emergency contact list from my android phone please ?

Thanks
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2021, 20:43:29 »
Fabulous Peter!!

Great we have such clever people on the forum

Just wondering if at some point, if you would be able to add options of what help would be available?
Ie, tea & sympathy; tools, parking, emergency bed for night etc?
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2021, 21:42:06 »
Hi Peter
How do I access the Emergency contact list from my android phone please ?

Thanks
Paul

On your phone the menu item becomes an icon. No submenu possible. Use your iPad or pc prior to your trip and print it… sorry

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 21:43:37 »
Fabulous Peter!!

Great we have such clever people on the forum

Just wondering if at some point, if you would be able to add options of what help would be available?

Sorry… that would add too much. Just ring or e-mail someone in the vicinity…. I’m sure they’ll offer all the help they can!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 15:19:30 »
Awesome idea!  Added myself.

Yes, the nearest (geography) emergency contact may not be able to help you with exactly what you need, but may have local contacts for other SL113.ORG members, extreme car enthusiasts, mechanics, parts suppliers, etc. who can help.  Just call and get the ball rolling.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 15:52:52 »
I have received the e-mail, connected button was there, document was there. All works fine, thank you!
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 16:45:10 »
Looking fab, well done!!

Come on Brits, we can do better than this! Pop your name down, the worst that can happen is you’re not able to help 🤓, on the flip side, can meet new friends!
230SL

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 16:49:31 »
Just picking up this thread, and I also support the concept. Glad to see that care is being taken to respect the growing consensus about data protection.

One minor point: in the "forum profile" user interface, it says to include +1 in your phone if you are from the United States. But it should include Canada, as well. We use the same +1 instead of a formal country code.

(That was quick  :) )
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 19:11:46 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 16:51:16 »
Thanks, fixed!

Tom Novak

• Junior Level
  • Czech Republic, Praha, Dobrovíz
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 17:30:29 »
Great idea, sign me up
230 SL arctic blue,1966 230 SL burgundy sold,1970 280 SL green sold, 1995 600SL , 1994 300 CE-24 cabrio,1973 450 sl white,1978 450 sl red,560sl sand, Rolls Royce Silver |shadow II, 1989 560 SEC brown,

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 17:44:19 »
PRATOR,

This is something you have to sign up for yourself, I believe.

DMK

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Titchfield
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 18:00:58 »
Brilliant idea, Count me in
Let me know what details you need …I’m in Fareham UK

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 18:07:42 »
Please follow the instructions in the e-mail, or earlier in this thread. You need to sign up yourself using Profile / Forum Profile…

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 21:37:10 »
Glad to see more Brits are wanting to join, but as usual, we don’t like reading instructions!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Please read Peter’s (van Es) very good instructions, basically go to your profile, then to forum profile and tick the box for emergency contacts (at the very bottom)

Don’t do what I did and forget to click the ‘change profile’ button 🤣🤣🤣
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 07:55:08 »

I've added the field to the Forum profile. You can add one line of text, up to 70 characters with help offered. Now I need to add it to the listing... that may take a little while.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:48:08 by Peter van Es »

yves

• Silver
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 08:06:07 »
Sorry but i don't see where is the emergency contact list button on my Iphone ....!
(before I have modified with succes my profile with Phone number )

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 08:31:05 »
There is no emergency contact list button on the iPhone, as explained before. It is because the "Members" menu item is changed into an icon.

You will need to rotate your screen to landscape to access the Emergency Contact List.

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 08:36:44 »
Great idea, would be happy to help out on the wild Atlantic way on the west coast of Ireland or anywhere on the island as its small.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 08:47:19 »
Note to everyone:

You'll need to add yourself to the list according to the instructions in this thread, or in the e-mail we sent. You must do this yourself, as according to the GDPR laws you will need to provide explicit permission to share your details with other members.

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 20:09:02 »
Hi guys , maybe I didn’t understand well , but  you have to sign as emergency contact in order to see the other contacts ?
I’m not sure if I’m the best and experienced person to give emergency help but if this is the only way , I will sign myself an try to help the others .
Thank you
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 20:39:58 »
Peter,
To avoid confusion for people wanting to joining the list, may I recommend that you add on the cover of the Emergency Contact List "To add your name to the Emergency Contact List, click here:" - and add the (clickable) link to the profile page.
Gary
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 21:55:13 »
Hi guys , maybe I didn’t understand well , but  you have to sign as emergency contact in order to see the other contacts ?
I’m not sure if I’m the best and experienced person to give emergency help but if this is the only way , I will sign myself an try to help the others .
Thank you

If you can make a cup of tea or coffee, that is good enough! Even local knowledge may be of help, ie who you use for your Pagoda, some tools maybe, where to stay if car off road for a while etc

230SL

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 22:05:48 »
Peter,
To avoid confusion for people wanting to joining the list, may I recommend that you add on the cover of the Emergency Contact List "To add your name to the Emergency Contact List, click here:" - and add the (clickable) link to the profile page.
Gary

But doesn’t it have to be your own profile, so how would that work? Surely this would be more intrusive as the system would need to know your VPN to link to your own profile? (Sorry not an IT bod so may have terminology wrong).
Also, I think you have to have to accept being an emergency contact before you can see the list, although I can’t confirm this

I’m unclear why folk are finding this so difficult? I’m IT illiterate and managed to do it 🤣

Can only think, another ‘topic’ be added to the ‘landing page/dashboard’ that only members can access, titled something like ‘emergency contact - add your details’ and Peter (or someone else) can copy and paste the instructions in here, so they are easily found. But not to have it where folk can post comment as otherwise we end up with a long string again
230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 00:42:41 »
I’m unclear why folk are finding this so difficult? I’m IT illiterate and managed to do it 🤣

As we saw from the Pagoda World book ordering process, some things are not so obvious for everyone!

My suggestion was based on the assumption that the Emergency Contact List was available to all full members only, without having to join the list? And assumed that the access to the List was like access to the Tech Manual. Then, just makes it easier for members to add their contact info to the list.

But, as they say in crude translation, we know what the definition of ASSUME is... ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:00:10 by GM »
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

AndrewB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Forest
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2021, 07:15:05 »
I think I have signed up !
1969 280SL
1970 280SL (undergoing restoration)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 07:40:27 »
At the moment:
  • you need to be a member of the emergency contact list, to be able to download it. Why? As Katie says, everyone can help, even if you are not a mechanic. Think about it. Someone has trouble in your area/country. They do not know where to get spare parts, or who trusted local mechanics there are. You do. Or a trusted party where they can park their car safely. They might need your help with the local language... or just consolation.
  • secondly, the ECL is only useful if we have people around the world able to help. A single person in a state or country is not useful, if you are at the other end of the state. In order to make sure we have enough coverage on the list, you'll need to be on the list to get access to it.
  • Really, adding yourself is easy... go to Profile / Forum Profile and fill the three fields at the bottom

Alternatively, just read the detailed instructions in the e-mail everyone was sent.

Once we have sufficient world-wide coverage, I can always decide to open up the list to all Full Members.

Peter

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 08:04:29 »
Thanks Peter, as always 😁
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2021, 08:27:06 »
My suggestion was based on the assumption that the Emergency Contact List was available to all full members only, without having to join the list? And assumed that the access to the List was like access to the Tech Manual. Then, just makes it easier for members to add their contact info to the list.

As I've said in earlier postings, we need to do this in a way that is in accordance with European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) because we are sharing very personal data: your e-mail address and telephone number. We cannot do that with a list in the Technical Manual. It has to be via controlled access, and then:
  • a member needs to give explicit approval to share their data
  • that sharing of data must stop when the member is no longer a member

Especially that last point cannot be implemented with a list in the Technical Manual. The way this is implemented is using the controlled log-in and membership system of the Pagoda SL Group forums. Ticking the ECL checkbutton is your explicit approval (point 1). If you do not renew your full membership, or delete your membership, the system automatically enforces point 2.

Peter

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2021, 13:05:56 »
Awesome idea!  Added myself.

Yes, the nearest (geography) emergency contact may not be able to help you with exactly what you need, but may have local contacts for other SL113.ORG members, extreme car enthusiasts, mechanics, parts suppliers, etc. who can help.  Just call and get the ball rolling.

This is the most important point to remember about adding one's self to the directory list:  Just because you yourself might not be able to be of assistance personally isn't the most important thing.  You have local knowledge that some traveler in distress in your vicinity doesn't have.  Read my post (Reply #7) in the topic below:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27956.msg201336#msg201336

The "T" Register member I contacted when my fellow traveler's car stopped dead in the road in the middle of Smokey Mountain National Park did not himself render assistance - he knew the guy who could and got the ball rolling . . .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 15:34:34 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 15:22:47 »
Thanks for all your work, Peter!
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 21:39:11 »
I have been a member of the Ford Model A club since 2004 , and they have a book that states members in the USA.
It is very simple, has states , cities and names of members with phone numbers.
So when you travel and are in need of assistance you just pull out the book and make a phone call.

DO NOT complicate it with other info.
EX: repair garages.
KEEP IT SIMPLE
Tom M

71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 09:12:16 »
Surely one just print off the page(s) you need

To change the subject a little, it’s very disappointing, the lack of response for folks to put their names forward to help fellow Pagoda owners. 😢

Given the number of members we have, and how helpful everyone is on the forum, I’m surprised that the take up for folk saying they would help fellow Pagoda owners ‘in distress’ is not better? I think my old Triumph owners club emergency contact booklet had more names in it, which was only the UK, our group is world wide!

So come on chaps & chapesses, if you are happy to offer and/or  receive help on your problems in the forum, surely you can offer, at the very least, some tea and sympathy to  fellow likeminded members of the forum? Where all in the same ‘team’ after all 🥰

Katie
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2021, 14:50:06 »
It is summer holidays time. I’ll send out another mailing in a couple of months time…

Peter

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2021, 18:11:04 »
😁
230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2021, 18:33:22 »
...the lack of response for folks to put their names forward to help fellow Pagoda owners...I’m surprised that the take up for folk saying they would help fellow Pagoda owners ‘in distress’ is not better...

Not surprising actually. A large number of members have only posted once or twice, some not at all. They don't come here often to check what's going on. The email address we have may not be one they check regularly...so any and all kinds of things can happen.

It is August as Peter pointed out when most of Europe is asleep.

(PS. I added my information moments after the note came through, but doubtful we'll see you passing by anytime soon!)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Lydeway Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2021, 08:19:04 »
Signed up   :D
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

enriquegarcia

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Arapahoe
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2021, 18:38:48 »
Great idea and I've updated my profile to sign up. Maybe a note to this effect can be included when membership renewal comes up?

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2021, 18:43:44 »
Signed up   :D

Well done!! And thank you
230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2021, 19:34:26 »
I've added an explanation to the Technical Manual, such that I can refer to this in the Renewal and New Joiners pages...

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/EmergencyContactList

Peter

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2021, 20:12:02 »
I’m in the list . I realized that this forum is almost empty of people from italy . We should advertise our forum on Facebook pages.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2021, 20:23:32 »
We do, frequently. But we do not "control" the Facebook pages. So help us, by posting on these Facebook pages, referring to our group!

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2021, 20:33:12 »
Of course in the South Chicagoland area I can be counted on. Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car