Author Topic: Emergency contact lists  (Read 11904 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Emergency contact lists
« on: June 07, 2021, 22:21:33 »
Hi folks

Apologies if there has already been such a suggestion and I’ve missed it.

So, many moons ago when I had a Triumph Spitfire IV, I belonged to the Triumph owners club, as one does.

Anyway, they had a scheme where they asked members to put their names and contact details forward if they were happy to help out fellow Triumph owners in distress, ie had broken down. There was a little form to complete which included obviously names, addresses and contact details, but also what help could be provided, ranging from mechanical help, tools, room to stay overnight, parking for your broken down car etc.

I’ve seen a few posts on various road trips etc, and indeed would like to do one myself at some point, but rather scared of breaking down without anyone to talk to about getting help

I would certainly be more than happy to help out fellow pagoda owners and I’m sure others would. You had to be a member of the Triumph owners club to access this, so I would imagine the same here given folks home information and also another good reason to become a member.

Any thoughts.

Katie
230SL

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
Re: Emergency contact lists
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 22:29:36 »
Great idea! Count me in
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 22:42:00 »
I like that, great idea.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 22:57:28 »
Smart! I like it!
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 23:01:59 »
I like it.  Unfortunately, I’m shocked that we only have a handful of folks in my area active here.  I’m wondering now if the local Mercedes Club has such a list
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 13:22:12 »
Count me in! Great idea!

James (Eddie) Black

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Pembroke
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 17:57:08 »
Excellent idea would be happy to be included
1967 Mercedes 250sl
1962 Jaguar Etype 3.8 Coupe

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 18:46:07 »
Good idea. Pls count me in.

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 19:05:52 »
I like the idea.  A major US-based motorcycle club publishes an annual little "Black Book" for their members which lists fellow members willing to help out, what facilities they have and what they are prepared to do.  Memo to the Membership Admins:  if this idea gets traction, a questionnaire could be put to the members when they renew.  This way a database could be built to create such an emergency network.  Of course, this being 2021, this should be an app which lists the nearest emergency contact based on where you are at the moment.  I would be happy to participate in a brainstorming.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 19:16:30 »
With thanks to all for positive reactions

I like the idea of a little black book😁

Maybe we could get a section placed on the members site, not sure how I do that?

I remember the ‘Board’ sending a mail shot to all members about past issues of pagoda world, maybe something similar could be done with this to kick it off. When it comes to renewals, reminders could be included to either ensure details are up to date and also ask if people wish to join the little black book group!

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about Apps, other than using them of course, but idea good so long as we can limit just to ourselves
230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 21:43:49 »
Hi Katie,

It is a wonderful and great idea. In addition what should be added would be the shop that the member would use for his or her maintenance needs (shop name, location and a phone number). The list should be sorted by shop location.

This way if one travels more then say 200 miles from his home (or across the country like Garry did) one can direct the tow truck in the direction of the shop.

I don’t know what our site regulation would be, I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate. I’m sure you plan to discuss this at the next board meeting. I make a print out of the area I travel to of members in that area so that I can post a PM to someone near by also I make a list of possible shops (using Google) looking for shops that service Mercedes, Porsche And other euro cars), before I leave town.

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel. I have to check I think amount my documents I have a listing of MB Dealerships I cannot remember if it came with my Pagoda or one of my AMG’s

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 21:56:04 »

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel.

Rolf-Dieter,

Based on my experience, I would be careful with the dealerships. Most of them do not have the talent any more to work on a pagoda. I further believe that this is nothing they like to work on for that reason. If it doesn't have a computer, telling them the problem, its gets tricky. You are likely better off with a good local mechanic that is somewhat familiar with older German cars.     
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 21:57:55 »
I think it is a good idea also. When i did my big trip around the USA i had the names of repair shops that i knew or that i had gathered from our site that i would have trucked my Pagoda to in the event of a break down in addition to some known parts suppliers and also rather than carry spares, had asked certain people to have available such things as fuel pump by Bob Youngman and ready to sent to me where ever i may have been.

Whilst i did not need any of these, it was nice to know  that i had this info if needed. 

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 22:00:48 »
Hi Katie,

It is a wonderful and great idea. In addition what should be added would be the shop that the member would use for his or her maintenance needs (shop name, location and a phone number). The list should be sorted by shop location.

This way if one travels more then say 200 miles from his home (or across the country like Garry did) one can direct the tow truck in the direction of the shop.

I don’t know what our site regulation would be, I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate. I’m sure you plan to discuss this at the next board meeting. I make a print out of the area I travel to of members in that area so that I can post a PM to someone near by also I make a list of possible shops (using Google) looking for shops that service Mercedes, Porsche And other euro cars), before I leave town.

I also carry with me a listing of Mercedes Dealerships that are near by we’re I plan to travel. I have to check I think amount my documents I have a listing of MB Dealerships I cannot remember if it came with my Pagoda or one of my AMG’s

Dieter

Hi Dieter

I think we may get into sticky ground if we start ‘suggesting’ who may repair cars as could put one in an awkward position if for some reason something went wrong?  May be easy to just keep it simple to start with?

I’m not aware of when the next board meeting is, I was merely floating and idea to get folks thoughts. Maybe one of the Board members could PM me if they pick this up?

I’m not sure what you do not believe would be appropriate (I would feel comfortable in having the first name and city or town in the list. I don’t think it would be appropriate...). Do you mean providing your full address?

Casting my mind back to Triumph days, I believe there was effectively a table with counties (presume we would need countries as well as we wouldn’t want our ‘London’s’ and Birminghams’s mixed up for example..... that could cause even more confusion!.!?), then towns, contact name, contact number, then some tick boxes on what those individuals could help you with, even if just tea and sympathy 😂
230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 23:48:10 »
To keep it simple, my recommendation would be:
City/State/Country
Name
Phone number with text message capability

No personal address info is necessary.
If someone in an area needs help, they look up a participant in a nearby area, and can text that person in the area for recommendations of where to take their car.
No guarantees expressed or implied. YMMV
But at least it's better than nothing.
My 2 cents
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 16:53:18 »
Good idea, I would be up for that.

Hugh

• Regular
  • Canada, Ontario, London
  • Former Pagoda SL Group Board Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 16:49:27 »
I think it is a good idea.

I have made a note to bring the idea up at the next board meeting. Thanks for your creativity!
1967 Mercedes 250SL
1988 Ferrari Testarossa
1930 Ford Model A coupe
2011 Mercedes e350 sedan

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 07:08:23 »
I think it is a good idea.

I have made a note to bring the idea up at the next board meeting. Thanks for your creativity!

Thank you

I as going to contact Jon Bernardi as hadn’t seen comments from Board members  (albeit I mat may missed)

Maybe have ‘country reps’  maybe for large countries such as USA that may need to be divided up!!,, to update details  rather than leave it to board members to do? Obviously better if there could be an area for folks to update themselves

It can’t be too hard if the little Triumph Owners managed to do this many years back with little technology!,

Anyway, happy to  help if  needed

Katie

Katie
230SL

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:04 »
Hello Katie,
great idea, you can count also on me. Unfortunately, I do not have seen a lot response from Europe to this idea, but anyhow it is the beginning.
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 12:25:43 »
Katie i'd be glad to offer any pagodadriver a safe rest and more on the middle atlantic french coast... ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 13:18:09 »
I will be in as well.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 21:33:53 »
The BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of America has a booklet that comes out every year. It contains lists of members who offer emergency service. Tools, camp-side, overnight stay, towing, parking, coffee and conversation. Whatever level of support you can and want to offer to someone traveling through or having a problem. 
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 22:14:12 »
Katie i'd be glad to offer any pagodadriver a safe rest and more on the middle atlantic french coast... ;)

Ooh, La Rochelle!! My parents had a home a few miles away some years back, lovely part of the world. Maybe when I take Bessy Benz on a road trip, I can swing by and say hi?
230SL

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 17:25:43 »
Y're welcome.  Have a beer and a swim....and a pagoda talk in the garage  ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 23:52:00 »
The Board is working on a couple of ideas for this. The dicey part is making sure we stay compliant with the various privacy legalities out there.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor