Author Topic: Heated Seats Anyone  (Read 6840 times)

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Heated Seats Anyone
« on: January 11, 2019, 00:20:21 »
I'm really trying to improve my wife's experience in my car because for some reason I don't put the top up very often so I have been driving alone (top down of course).  I came to the conclusion that it might be nicer to have company sometimes so I have been convinced to try installing heating pads in my seats.  Has anyone tried that in our cars. What do use as a power supply?   

I was thinking of combining the seat heaters and the auxillary driving lights with their own dedicated fused circuit straight from the battery with an indicator  light to make sure I don't leave either of them on and drain the battery and burn my seats and my car and the garage and my priceless collection of Pagoda magazines.    Or is there an easier switched circuit to run a relay from to turn on a powerful circuit for the lights and heater directly from the battery?

I'm not an electrical genius so any help is appreciated. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Re: Heated Seats Anyone
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:40:06 »
To connect a high powered circuit I would look at something similar to adding fog lights. You will need a relay, but with heated seats it's not that easy to know you've left them on so I am wondering if you could take a wire from the ignition wire with a switch in it so it only runs when your car is powered on.

Steve
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:33 »
Hi Ian
(Usual disclaimers, all this is at your own risk, just a suggestion, but it works fine for me !)
For these sort of items it is better to install a standard 12v dc relay, with all new wireing, rather than add extra load on the 50 year old cables in our cars.
The numbers here refer to a standard 12 voly DC, relay easily available, the relay coil can then be activated (86/85) by a suitable ignition switched supply eg Cigarette lighter, or radio supply, and returned to earth.
The power supply should come direct from the battery, via a suitable fuse, to (30), then when the ignition is on power will be supplied to (87) and hence to your additional items. When the ignition os off, the power to the additional items will be cut off.

If you are going to add addional lights I would suggest LEDs to keep the power drain lower.
Also check the alternator cables that run under the inlet/exhaust manifolds, they are prone to hardening and insulation failure after 50 years.

If in doubt, consult a suitable workshop.
Have fun
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 14:43:41 »
MB cars that do have heated seats also have a timer on the system that shuts off after cycling period. None of them stay on very long and all of them shut off when you turn the ignition off.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 15:48:58 »
Excellent advice -  the diagram is exactly what I was thinking of.  I'll let you all know how it works -  a timer is a good idea. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 16:15:33 »
Why not just buy one ready made? Just do a search on Amazon or any place similar and a number of them come up. Yes some of them plug into the lighter socket, but I don't think the typical seat heater is a huge power draw. Maybe 30-50W?

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 16:19:54 »
Might want to  upgrade to a 55 amp alternator.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Delvis

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Delta
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 05:59:44 »
Hi Bonnyboy,

in regards to the heated seat question.... you may want to check out RWM@Co in Delta, BC.(near boundary bay airport)  just added heated seats to seats in an open top car (dune buggy of all things) (for her comfort), he has a system that is discreet and elegant.  RWM did work on my 1970 280SL recently (replaced trunk floors and paint etc..) fully trust him & his team. they are artists.

website is:  http://www.rwmandco.com

hope this helps

devlin
1970 280SL auto.
1989 560SL
1979 911 SC TARGA
1961 Dune Buggy
2015C63 507 Edition

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 14:29:46 »
The Saab 900’s in the 80’s were the first cars I was aware of with heated seats. The switch and adjustment circuitry were all one small unit.  Although the style of the switch is not fitting for our cars perhaps it could be hidden somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-Heated-Seat-Control-Switch-Heater-Button-9518820-OEM-900-9000/173723919823?epid=1111296509&hash=item2872c0a5cf:g:raMAAOSw4otcL-55
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 14:34:27 by Shvegel »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 15:37:18 »
Really, you want heated seats? Don't make it overtly complex. Buy a ready made product and plug it into the lighter. Larger alternators, complex wiring and relays? Jeez.

A Short Story for Engineers
You don’t have to be an engineer to appreciate this story.

A toothpaste factory had a problem: Due to the way the production line was set up, sometimes empty boxes were shipped without the tube inside. People with experience in designing production lines will tell you how difficult it is to have everything happen with timings so precise that every single unit coming off of it is perfect 100% of the time. Small variations in the environment (which cannot be controlled in a cost-effective fashion) mean quality assurance checks must be smartly distributed across the production line so that customers all the way down to the supermarket won’t get frustrated and purchase another product instead.

Understanding how important that was, the CEO of the toothpaste factory gathered the top people in the company together. Since their own engineering department was already stretched too thin, they decided to hire an external engineering company to solve their empty boxes problem.

The project followed the usual process: budget and project sponsor allocated, RFP (request for proposal), third-parties selected, and six months (and $8 million) later a fantastic solution was delivered — on time, on budget, high quality and everyone in the project had a great time. The problem was solved by using high-tech precision scales that would sound a bell and flash lights whenever a toothpaste box would weigh less than it should. The line would stop, and someone had to walk over and yank the defective box off the line, then press another button to re-start the line.

A short time later, the CEO decided to have a look at the ROI (return on investment) of the project: amazing results! No empty boxes ever shipped out of the factory after the scales were put in place. There were very few customer complaints, and they were gaining market share. “That was some money well spent!” he said, before looking closely at the other statistics in the report. 

The number of defects picked up by the scales was 0 after three weeks of production use. How could that be? It should have been picking up at least a dozen a day, so maybe there was something wrong with the report. He filed a bug against it, and after some investigation, the engineers indicated the statistics were indeed correct. The scales were NOT picking up any defects, because all boxes that got to that point in the conveyor belt were good.

Perplexed, the CEO traveled down to the factory and walked up to the part of the line where the precision scales were installed. A few feet before the scale, a $20 desk fan was blowing any empty boxes off the belt and into a bin. Puzzled, the CEO turned to one of the workers who stated, “Oh, that…One of the guys put it there ’cause he was tired of walking over every time the bell rang!”

$8 million vs $20    Hmmm! Money well spent?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 16:10:54 »
I would like to request rights to use this story at my job. It is lovely, thank you! :)

I have a bit different view on seat heater topic discussion (if I were to install it in a Paoda, which is unlikely, but if I were, I would install switch with tell tale lamp next to ashtray, where the switches for options were, and power it the way options were powered - fuse box, fuse box next to booster, back in to switch with relay being the only difference vs. original way), as I would do it just for pleasure of doing it.

Sometimes you just feel like unscrewing a few screws in your car and you just look for excuses, i.e. increase comfort for your better half or, another common practice, for kids.  :) :)

But the story is fantastic!

Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 16:21:16 »
I do not have heated seats in my Pagoda, (but I do have a fridge! On the back seat) , but would caution against using the cigarette lighter socket and 50 year old cables,for long term high power applications. It was designed for a cigarette lighter, high power for only a minute or so,..
Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 20:55:07 »
...but would caution against using the cigarette lighter socket and 50 year old cables,for long term high power applications.

Yes this is true, but a couple of notes: first, you can make the same argument about nearly anything in the car--using the "50 year old [insert part name]". Second, the cigar lighters use a bit of current...they glow RED HOT.... Lastly, the seat heaters, ready made, really don't use many watts, and as an avid user of seat heaters in general (I live in Michigan) I can tell you they are not on for very long. Little warm up, turn them off. So, it's probably a simple solution...

Of course if you are like Pawel, you want to make it complicated just for the fun of it!!  ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 17:01:32 »
since I"m going to add seat heaters to my Cobra, I thought I'd research this a bit and post what I found.  Here's a highly rated (on Amazon) seat heater:

WATERCARBON X18203 Universal Seat Heater Kit Car warmer
by WATERCARBON
4.3 out of 5 stars    300 customer reviews | 128 answered questions
Price:   $40.63  | FREE Same-Day

if you watch the video it's actually a Dorman 628-040. Here's the pdf: https://static.dormanproducts.com/document/628-040_is.pdf. So it's also available under that part number from sources like Summit.

I researched amp draw for various heaters and they seem to be between 3-5 amps.  Not enough to require a relay but the Dorman instructions include a relay (shown in the pdf) and a 10amp fuse for the heater.  I typically use a relay for a 10amp circuit and will use relays in my Cobra.  Dorman recommends using a switched circuit as well. 

Hope that helps.  Again, in my experience Dorman offers well engineered products, many as OEM.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:57:51 »
Thanks for posting that.  I have never seen aftermarket heaters before.

It might be because it is early and I have not had my coffee yet but the Dorman wiring diagram took me 5 minutes to figure out they were simply connecting the pads in series for low and parallel for high. 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 18:41:04 »
What I was talking about wasn't a seat heater kit, but a basically a heated seat pad. Cheaper, easier. When you don't need it, take it out.

I actually did visit our newish member Russell Jones in the lovely town of Mooresville just the other day. My real estate agent had a beast of a car, a Nissan Armada all tricked out. Seat heat was kind of necessary as they had the ungodly temperature of 20 degrees in NC, almost unheard of. But, that seat heat nearly burned it it was so hot. Had to keep turning it off.

Made it back here to normal Michigan temps in the mid 20s (see sweatshirt photo) and turned my seat heat on, and had to turn it off no more than 20 minutes after leaving the airport.

Unless you live in Stalingrad or Alaska, seat heat isn't something you need all the time--just to help take the chill off, then turn it off...which makes the electrical demands quite simple.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 14:06:56 »
Michael it was very nice to meet you and Marci "in the flesh".  Thank you for taking the time from your packed schedule to come see us.  we're looking forward to having you in the area.  my experience with heated seats is similar to yours..  they get too hot for me and I almost always turn them off after a few minutes.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:56 »
I just posted this same video for a sun-visor topic and realized that the same video does have a quick mention of heated seats for w113.   

The heated seats are mentioned at about 59:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZgd5hKyOI
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 13:06:24 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Lotus211

• Junior Level
  • New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 22:28:30 »
I have just installed seat heaters in my 230SL, these are an option from Heritage Upholstery and only $270.
Happy wife..happy life!
1964 Mercedes 230SL

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 22:34:51 »
Perhaps a wind deflector will also help your wife ride with you.

As far as heated seats, you can add another circuit in that box near the power brake booster.

Or another circuit in that box where the radio gets power.

I plan on doing this and having switches placed in the ashtray.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 23:11:19 »
Heated seats in modern cars only work if the seatbelt is fastened. This ensures it isn't left on by mistake. Of course, there is a connection to the seatbelt lock which illuminates a light in the dashboard when it is not fastened. I doubt our SLs have that. Mine doesn't even have seat belts.
I live in Ohio and some of my "toys" are not being used about 5 months out of the year. I have never used the heater or A/C in my Corvette, never used the heated seats or handgrips on my BMW K1600, cannot see the need for heated seats in the SL. 8) 8)
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 21:44:24 »
We are having our interior done by a trim shop in the Detroit area. I considered heated seats and watched the wonderful video from Heritage Trim, so I asked the upholstery technician. We had just received the leather kit (from K&K -- who I think gets them from GAHH) and the technician took one look at the way the seat is padded. He recommended not putting a heater under the seat leather because there is a quite a bit of padding there that would insulate the heater unit. The inside of the seat would get too hot this way.

Maybe what Heritage Trim does is install the heater unit between the leather outer surface and the first layer of padding. Does anyone know? I'm pretty sure the video from Heritage Trim doesn't explain this.

Of course, I like the idea of a temporary heating pad that rests on the seat when required. Now all we need is a giant solar panel welded to the trunk lid with a 300kg battery on the parcel shelf to keep us warm up here in Ontario. And we're in the warm part!
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Lotus211

• Junior Level
  • New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 02:21:20 »
I have just had my interior refurbished by Heritage Upholstery-Palm Springs and I added the heated seats option which included both the seat base and backrest.
This will keep "her indoors " happy. :)
1964 Mercedes 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 18:19:18 »
I read that as "This will keep her indoors"

Which may or may not be a benefit ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather