Author Topic: VW Diesel Deception  (Read 67289 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: VW Diesel Deception
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2018, 14:23:19 »
Whilst I understand all the angst over the fraud on the software of the pollution device, I don't understand why you would give back what was a really good vehicle rather than just take the compensation. Then again I don't understand the vehicle herd mentality that some in the USA have.

Garry, not certain what you mean by the pejorative "herd mentality" that some have in the USA, but in reality, the situation was merely a blip, a speedbump in overall VW sales in the USA, with the bulk of that in 2016. http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/

Diesels in the USA have always been just a small fraction of overall motorcar sales. There are a variety of reasons for this, such as [generally significant] increase in initial cost, and wildly fluctuating disparity in fuel pricing. Anecdotally around here (Michigan), diesel has always been higher, and that high fuel price negates the other savings. Today, one local retailer is at USD $3.07 for regular (87 octane) and $3.29 for diesel. I've seen that differential as high as $0.40 per gallon, particularly during a cold or potentially cold winter when home heating oil (used extensively in the north east) prices go up. Home heating oil is basically #2 diesel. Due to fuel pricing and taxes the payback on a diesel in Europe is significantly quicker than the USA; that won't change easily, and thus the mix of diesel/gas won't either. With hybrids and electrics all the rage, I'm not sure diesel will make a comeback for passenger cars in the USA.

I cannot speak for the population that had these [deceptive] TDIs but presumably some bought them because [amongst many reasons) they thought they were being "greener" than other choices, thus when the scandal emerged the only sensible thing to do was to get rid of it. I'm sure there's a subset there that simply loved diesels (to heck with emissions) and took the money. Others didn't want to be "caught" down the road with a car that they might not be able to sell.

As an interesting analogy, in the early 1990s many new homes in the USA were sided with "LP Inner Seal" OSB siding, which was basically an inferior product that was cheap. It failed miserably, and there was a huge class action lawsuit to recover damages. There were a lot of homes in my neighborhood with that junk on it; some owners took the money and did nothing. Others took a settlement and re-sided their homes. Those that took the money and did nothing found themselves in a bit of a bind when they went to sell their homes; they basically had to give back what they thought was a windfall from years earlier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana-Pacific In the worst cases, the cost to re-side had gone up and savvy buyers required the sellers to make the change prior to closing.

So is "not wanting to own a product not living up to specifications" and one that will probably be difficult to sell down the line, a uniquely American trait? I wouldn't think so, sounds like human nature to me!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2018, 20:29:47 »
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2018, 22:27:44 »
Michael

My understanding of the Deiselgate as it is known in the USA was that when the vehicle was put on the test rig for assessing if it met the polution standards in CA it went into a secret mode that changed the settings such that it gave the appearance of being less poluting than reality.

Whilst that is a classic case of fraud and a massive deception for an large international company to do on the general public, only the USA had the big recall of the cars, compensation and the general air of “the world was about to fall in”, the rest of the world just acknowledged that there was fraud, sure lets charge the guilty players with that and now lets move on.  They were great cars, in the rest of the world they are not doing a masive recall, remember it was only in the test mode that the change is made to the running system they didnt need to do what they did to gain acceptancce.  The vehicle actually runs ‘better’ with more power (and with more polution) in its normal running mode.
 There was absolutely nothing wrong with the vehicles and in AUstralia and I believe the rest of the world, the residual values of the vehicles is no different, they still all work just fine.

Herd mentality or maybe a nicer way to put it, a US class actions in Dieselgate killed the residual values in USA only whereas most of the world yawned and moved on.,
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2018, 02:51:38 »
There was a lot wrong with the cars, namely that they polluted way beyond the maximum acceptable norms. The rest of the world has been asleep at the wheel and apparently cares more about 'money now' and 'let's not upset the Big Car Makers and their Unions' than in the US. Had it been a US car maker with large sales in Europe, probably the tables would have been turned, anyway. I for one fault VW big time and hats off to the small-time researchers at this university that blew the lid off of this scam.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2018, 18:55:55 »
Well, let's see. We've got at least one VW (or is it two?) execs arrested and one in jail. The CEO of Audi was arrested in Germany today (not by Americans, mind you, but by Germans)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/audi-ceo-arrested-volkswagen-says.html

There are other firms, and executives who have yet to be fully explored in this. Daimler has been summoned by GERMAN authorities over this issue too: that is, defeat devices or software.

Yes we take our emissions very seriously here in the USA, perhaps being the world's leader in doing so...and the CARB is more so than anyone else. (CARB=California Air Resources Board). Like it or not, they are the primary reason why we can actually see in Los Angeles in the 21st century.

Other countries (like the EU) take other things seriously. When I travelled to Sicily last year, our tour guide told us that there are no more wood-fired commercial pizzerias in Sicily, something about EU pollution regulations (as if...). A year after all the "Pagoda Style" books were sold, the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center came back to me with a form to fill out about the WEIGHT of the POLYETHYLENE FILM on books!  Yes, this shrink wrap apparently is something that Germany considers pollution, non-green, and thus a tax must be paid on it. Oh, it was like 1.5 grams of PE per book. Probably cost MB more to fill out the form than the tax they had to pay. You can pry my local coal and wood-fired pizza joints away from my cold dead hands, wrapped in PE.

Garry, the TDI cars were NOT fine. They were massive polluters. How each country deals with it, is up to them. As I pointed out despite this massive fraud, it had little impact on VW in the USA. A forgiving public. Somehow, VW (according to Wallace) has managed a viable fix; had they done this in the first place instead of cheating, they'd have saved themselves a lot of grief.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2018, 21:51:55 »
When I travelled to Sicily last year, our tour guide told us that there are no more wood-fired commercial pizzerias in Sicily, something about EU pollution regulations (as if...).

I think the Italians are doing away with the wood fired pizzerias even less quickly than they are doing away with their diesel engine cars (57% Diesel and holding steady). I Googled, "pizzeria con forno a legna palermo," and found at least 20 in the Sicilian capital!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 22:21:03 by neelyrc »
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:51 »
A forgiving public. Somehow, VW (according to Wallace) has managed a viable fix; had they done this in the first place instead of cheating, they'd have saved themselves a lot of grief.

Not sure about forgiving, but forgetful for sure. And why merged corporations change their names slowly. “I know Nissan, but what’s a Datsun”? TDI? What’s that?

I do not know what the exact fix is, but there were several options with cost being the driver. The TDI was a marketing move to produce a cheaper diesel. Their initial plans didn’t work and it should have stopped there. Cut the investment losses and move on knowing that a cheap diesel would not pass modern emissions. It was a gamble that cost them dearly.

Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2018, 12:05:35 »
I think the Italians are doing away with the wood fired pizzerias even less quickly than they are doing away with their diesel engine cars (57% Diesel and holding steady). I Googled, "pizzeria con forno a legna palermo," and found at least 20 in the Sicilian capital!

Laughing now Ralph...just because they say "pizzeria con forno a legna palermo" doesn't mean they actually are. It's Sicily you know. I was caught unaware, for example, that the "VISA Mastercard" signs in the windows of restaurants and shops actually meant something. Was only able to use credit cards at high-end hotel, etc. For some reason at the little shops and restaurants, the machines was always down, the internet not working, or [fill in the blank] on excuse. This wouldn't have been so bad but there are no exchanges left on the island save for the airports and one in Taormina.  The diesel acceptance is all about taxes and government involvement and thus will probably stay that way for a while.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2018, 15:48:20 »
TDI? What’s that?

TDI = Turbo Direct Injection.  These days this acronym can be applied to either a Gasoline or Diesel fueled engine.  Such acronyms are rife in the auto industry.  My favorite one was CVCC, which was the acronym applied to the three valve (two intake, one exhaust) engine that was introduced in the first Honda Civic back in 1975.  Everybody thought it was just a fancy way of saying it was the engine that came in a Civic.  CVCC actually stood for Compound Vortex Combustion Chamber.  These engines burned cleanly enough that they didn't need catalytic converters to pass even the California emissions standards in effect at the time.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2018, 20:53:40 »
Was only able to use credit cards at high-end hotel, etc. For some reason at the little shops and restaurants, the machines was always down, the internet not working, or [fill in the blank] on excuse.

Off the tourist track credit card use is very low.  A couple of the main reasons for this:  The merchant doesn’t want to pay the card company fee especially for small transactions.  Also, when a card is used, there is an electronic record created so the  merchant must also give you a matching official receipt from his cash register.  This reduces to zero the opportunity for negotiated cash transactions where IVA (value added tax) is not paid. As the IVA rate is 22%, the merchant and the customer make out.  The government is the big loser (and obviously the country as a whole).
Ralph

1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2018, 15:24:07 »
Even though I owned one, I didn't actually even know what TDI stood for. I figured the D was for diesel and then whatever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharged_direct_injection And yes, I had no idea about the CVCC and thought it was Civic. How about the W123 diesel wagon "300 TD"? Turbo diesel? Nope. Yes it was a turbo diesel but the "T" was the configuration for a wagon.

BTW, https://www.cars.com/articles/we-test-whether-you-should-buy-a-post-scandal-volkswagen-tdi-diesel-1420699480602/ In regards to whether you should buy a "fixed" TDI. Good article and explains the fix which by the way did not involve using exhaust fluid. As I said earlier, these are inexpensive to buy. So you had better get them while they are hot.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2018, 15:36:49 »
https://www.cars.com/articles/we-test-whether-you-should-buy-a-post-scandal-volkswagen-tdi-diesel-1420699480602/  So you had better get them while they are hot.

Thanks so much Wallace, for posting this. So, unless the Feds approved a fix that was somewhat more lenient than would have been approved during initial testing, the fix seemed relatively easy, and the reduction in performance and mileage was for intents, insignificant.  Which really begs the question, "What the *&^% were they thinking?" Couldn't or shouldn't they have done this up front?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2018, 15:45:40 »
So, unless the Feds approved a fix that was somewhat more lenient than would have been approved during initial testing, the fix seemed relatively easy, and the reduction in performance and mileage was for intents, insignificant.  Which really begs the question, "What the *&^% were they thinking?" Couldn't or shouldn't they have done this up front?

Maybe we should check the Fed's bank accounts for a large, unexpected deposit? I am a little surprised myself by the relative ease of repair and the very little effect on performance. Knowing this, I probably would have kept mine. They did mention a "new" Nitrogen Oxide Catalyst and not sure if this is the Gold Standard that wasn't available before?   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2018, 16:29:32 »
Off the tourist track credit card use is very low.  A couple of the main reasons for this:  The merchant doesn’t want to pay the card company fee especially for small transactions.  Also, when a card is used, there is an electronic record created so the  merchant must also give you a matching official receipt from his cash register.  This reduces to zero the opportunity for negotiated cash transactions where IVA (value added tax) is not paid. As the IVA rate is 22%, the merchant and the customer make out.  The government is the big loser (and obviously the country as a whole).

My sister went to Greece a few years ago and everything was cash, and by that I mean everything. Little wonder the country was nearly bankrupt.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2018, 20:14:38 »
They did mention a "new" Nitrogen Oxide Catalyst and not sure if this is the Gold Standard that wasn't available before?

https://phys.org/news/2016-07-dealers-volkswagen-emissions-cheating-ready.html
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2018, 00:20:44 »
Here is a summary of the currant status:
https://www.epa.gov/vw/learn-about-volkswagen-violations#California
Most models up to 2015 appear to have approved fixes now.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Ralph

1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2018, 15:57:57 »
OK gotta love this.

Spotted yesterday while out and about: a BMW 330d wagon (estate for you Eurotypes). Probably very rare around here.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2018, 17:04:31 »
Garry, not certain what you mean by the pejorative "herd mentality" that some have in the USA, but in reality, the situation was merely a blip, a speedbump in overall VW sales in the USA, with the bulk of that in 2016. http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/

Diesels in the USA have always been just a small fraction of overall motorcar sales. There are a variety of reasons for this, such as [generally significant] increase in initial cost, and wildly fluctuating disparity in fuel pricing. Anecdotally around here (Michigan), diesel has always been higher, and that high fuel price negates the other savings. Today, one local retailer is at USD $3.07 for regular (87 octane) and $3.29 for diesel. I've seen that differential as high as $0.40 per gallon, particularly during a cold or potentially cold winter when home heating oil (used extensively in the north east) prices go up. Home heating oil is basically #2 diesel. Due to fuel pricing and taxes the payback on a diesel in Europe is significantly quicker than the USA; that won't change easily, and thus the mix of diesel/gas won't either. With hybrids and electrics all the rage, I'm not sure diesel will make a comeback for passenger cars in the USA.

I cannot speak for the population that had these [deceptive] TDIs but presumably some bought them because [amongst many reasons) they thought they were being "greener" than other choices, thus when the scandal emerged the only sensible thing to do was to get rid of it. I'm sure there's a subset there that simply loved diesels (to heck with emissions) and took the money. Others didn't want to be "caught" down the road with a car that they might not be able to sell.

As an interesting analogy, in the early 1990s many new homes in the USA were sided with "LP Inner Seal" OSB siding, which was basically an inferior product that was cheap. It failed miserably, and there was a huge class action lawsuit to recover damages. There were a lot of homes in my neighborhood with that junk on it; some owners took the money and did nothing. Others took a settlement and re-sided their homes. Those that took the money and did nothing found themselves in a bit of a bind when they went to sell their homes; they basically had to give back what they thought was a windfall from years earlier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana-Pacific In the worst cases, the cost to re-side had gone up and savvy buyers required the sellers to make the change prior to closing.

So is "not wanting to own a product not living up to specifications" and one that will probably be difficult to sell down the line, a uniquely American trait? I wouldn't think so, sounds like human nature to me!

Houses aren't like cars. You are stuck with your location and if you happen to build on top of the Love Canal you might be out on the street. Can't be compared and shouldn't be.

Which is why cars can be a good investment if you buy the right one. You can always take your car to the right market - not so much with a house.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2018, 18:46:11 »
Responding to a post made on June 11?  You been on vacation or something?
My post TODAY was a tongue in cheek about someone who took the money from VW, and bought a BMW to replace it...and decided to tell the world.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid