Author Topic: ....cranky Window crank ?!  (Read 4145 times)

Witt

....cranky Window crank ?!
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:46:58 »
......finally getting to the finishing stages of my restoration that I started last November.....more on that story some other time.....Problem #?: I never noticed before that one of my window cranks is bend towards the inside and rubbing on the my nice clean door panel when cranking, probably leaving marks as time goes by.....Speaking of " as time goes by" after years of farting around with guitars, my brother and I started a garage band and our first gig is this Saturday at my place for family members ( hope they are being kind....)
Someone suggested we call ourself " The Old Farts " the youngest member is 63 and the oldest 75....but I cam up with " V.S.O.P." just like the well aged French cognac: Very Special Old Product.......well this is not really relating to our cars, but it is a " Garage " - Band.

Now back to the cranky crank: I suspect that this one is from a different Mercedes model ? I can't imagine that the cast metal crank will bent ?!
Has somebody a replacement "straight" handle for a reasonable price ? I guess I try Dan the "Benz Doctor" in Ontario.

Thanks for listening, just wanted to come up for air and report that the restoration is allmost complete and I am still alive.

CHEERS !
WITT !          :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:50:19 by Witt »

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: ....cranky Window crank ?!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 19:14:18 »
Dear Witt,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
While I have no idea (and talent) for membership in garage bands  :o
... I  do more tinkering in any private "garages" ... ;D

As to your window crank ...
Yes, it is possible that they are bent slightly. You can easily see that, just compare left and right side window crank with each other. The crank's underside is really straight and not bent inwards. Is the door panel straight? Have you renewed the cardboard back? Often this one is heavily rippled due to decades of moisture.
Furthermore, there is a large chrome base between door panel and window crank. Is that still around?

AFAIK the two (three) different window cranks are illustrated somewhere in ouw WIKI. Have you had a look there?
If your window crank is broken, the base missing, etc. it is necessary to contact someone like Dan (Dr. Benz) because both parts are NLA. :-*

Good luck and keep us informed.

Achim
(no SL but parts & knowledge collector)
Achim
(Germany)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 19:26:50 »

Has somebody a replacement "straight" handle for a reasonable price ? I guess I try Dan the "Benz Doctor" in Ontario.

I just put 4 on ebay (if you are looking for the early style with the small knob instead of the late style wit the large knob).  Mine are item 160358163336 but there are lots of other ones listed if you search for "mercedes window crank".  I also have BROWN inserts listed as a separate item.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Witt

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:16:59 »
Thank you Achim, sorry for getting back to you so late......Yes, the large chrome spacer is missing but I managed to use other washers to shim the handle far enough from the door panel so it wont rub.
BTW How do you like my hard top hoist, I featured in a recent post.

CHEERS !
WITT !   
Dear Witt,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
While I have no idea (and talent) for membership in garage bands  :o
... I  do more tinkering in any private "garages" ... ;D

As to your window crank ...
Yes, it is possible that they are bent slightly. You can easily see that, just compare left and right side window crank with each other. The crank's underside is really straight and not bent inwards. Is the door panel straight? Have you renewed the cardboard back? Often this one is heavily rippled due to decades of moisture.
Furthermore, there is a large chrome base between door panel and window crank. Is that still around?

AFAIK the two (three) different window cranks are illustrated somewhere in ouw WIKI. Have you had a look there?
If your window crank is broken, the base missing, etc. it is necessary to contact someone like Dan (Dr. Benz) because both parts are NLA. :-*

Good luck and keep us informed.

Achim
(no SL but parts & knowledge collector)