Author Topic: paint colours  (Read 4423 times)

t.h.

paint colours
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:32:39 »
was it an option to have the hard top painted a different colour to the body from the factory

Romeobob

Re: paint colours
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:01:06 »
T.H.,

At least in 1965 the option must have been available, as I have a black body with red interior and a white top per the mercedes data card from the classic center. I was quite suprised because when I purchased the car a couple of years ago the top was matching the body color.

It would be interesting to understand all color options, but I think Mercedes then and to some degree even today will allow any color or combination for an amount of money, as will most european car manufactures. 

Bob

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:06:47 »
It's all in our Technical Manual: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/RecommendedCombinations

Hardtop and body colour differences are possible, in fact the above page shows Mercedes Benz recommended combinations. If the hardtop and body colour differ, the hubcaps are painted in the same colour as the hardtop.

Paint codes are listed here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/PaintCodes

Peter
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:08:29 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

nikopu

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:22 »
I would like to hear members opinions as to the 'value' of such more rare(?) combinations.
I myself have a 230SL which left the factory with signal red body and white hard top. Trying to decide if I want to keep that during restoration or go for something completely different.

So, are these kind of combos rare and desirable, or just a curiosity? For sure, have't seen anything similar...

Niko   

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:13:33 »
i would say that anything unusual when originally specced adds value today. The reason we own and love these cars is they are so individual. The more individual the more interesting and collectable.
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 23:13:16 »
I am not so sure that a rare combination adds that much value. These cars had a fairly small amount of combinations, unlike all the hoopla you hear about muscle cars from America " One of only 12 with this purple paint for 1972" etc. Perhaps there is some amount of preference, but I think condition wins out over most anything for the 113's.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

KW-BYBEE

• Junior Level
  • USA, AZ, Paradise Valley
  • On her way to her new home!!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:29 »
Hi,
According to my data plate the body is 571 RED and the hardtop is 040 Black,  My car currently is all 571 but will correct as I restore.
Kyle
Kyle Bybee
Kent Island, MD
1967 250SL, 5 speed
Body Color: 571 Top: 040