Author Topic: Getrag 265 - 5 Speed Conversion  (Read 108219 times)

mkbull

Getrag 265 - 5 Speed Conversion
« on: July 27, 2009, 18:36:16 »
Thought I would start a new thread for those interested
I now have the getrag in position and the gear shift linkage which is a combination of the original (the bit you can see) and the BMW linkage (the bit you cannot see) seems to work really well. the car is not yet ready for road trials but getting closer all the time.

The gearbox support proves to be a little more challenging than I had earlier imagined.
I did try adapting the existing bottom plate which mounts the single rubber mounting for the original gearbox but I did not like the end result.
After trying a couple of alternatives I have opted to go for a fabricated cross member beam that utilizes existing bolt holes on the pagoda and the original BMW rubber mounts (only £24.00 each and available next day from the BMW dealership).
Tried several methods to establish the correct angle/tilt for the engine/gearbox assembly since this is determined by height of the gearbox mounts, and thus getting the geometry of the new mounting assembly correct was not too easy.  despite the help of autocad and a co2 laser for cutting the templates it still took 4 attempts to get bang on.

I plan to do add a topic about the RHD handbrake conversion to correct side for those who have asked.

hauser

Re: Getrag 265 - 5 Speed Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:53:34 »
I have a Getrag installed in my car.  Luckily it was on the car when I purchased it.  BTW the install was done in 1980 by Alex Dearborn.

abe280SL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:03:34 »
I have one on my 73 BMW 3.0CSI and it is  a very nice transmission. Some one should come up with a complete kit including the cross member beam , linkage, etc...
abe

mkbull

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 21:23:10 »
Well hopefully I am just about there with the full kit.
mainly consists of:-

1) gear shift linkage
2) gearbox support cross member
3) bellhousing adaptor plate,
4) (m130 manual flywheel -only needed if converting from an auto car).

There are a few other ancillary bits and pieces.

I made the adaptor plates some time ago -already got one 220 Sedan usding the adaptor plate for over a year now. and the owner thinks the 5 speed getrag car is a dream to drive compared to before the conversion.
I have now made the linkage its pretty simple just half the bmw getrag linkage attached to half of the Merceds linkage. Its a little more than that but no big engineering feat.

The cross member is in the pictures above it utilises the original bmw rubber mounts. the components including the adaptor plates are all laser cut so repeat precision is no issue.
recently sent two full sets down to members in london and one off to germany and they are all going in at this moment.

It looks like Ejm will have the first UK 5 speed getrag pagoda up and running with the full kit installed within the next week or so. I am waiting for his test drive with baited breath  - although my engine and gearbox setup will all be complete soon i dont expect to have my own car on the road until spring next year (weekend restorer....)

Mark UK

webmig

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 21:52:26 »
Mark,

Do you have parts to install a Getrag 265 into a 1970 280SL, manual transmission?

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 22:15:05 »
I have a Getrag in my 280SL and used Mark's conversion kit.  (also have a ZF on order to put away) It is a dream to drive and a vast improvement over the 4 speed. I also have a 3.46 rear end so whilst I have lost some of the acceleration on 5th it is operating as a pure overdrive.

I just love it.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mkbull

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 18:36:31 »
Hello
Its been a while since I did any further development on the kit but here is the latest news...

It seemed that for a number of people the conversion bottleneck was not acquiring the Getrag Gerabox (they seem reasonably easy to obtain) but getting hold of an early bmw prop shaft was becoming a problem. I had several people asking if I could acquire them on their behalf during 2012 and indeed I did manage to find 5 prop ends over a period of several months. These went pretty much as quickly as I could find them and I was unable to source any more despite having a few people in a state of limbo with their conversions.
I decided to go back to the drawing board and "design out" the need for an old bmw propshaft end.

Here is the answer
The new hybrid flexi is water jet cut from 33mm neoprene then inserted with six steel bushes.
 3 holes are 12mm BMW pcd - 3 holes are 10mm Mercedes pcd.
The originals were made from rubber and I could still have used that material-Neoprene is 67 shaw strength that’s slightly stronger  than the original rubber disks. More importantly it is almost impervious to oil so will not deteriorate.
More or less an identical copy of the BMW flexi disk … except…. One set of 3 holes takes the bmw output shaft pcd from the gearbox, the other set of 3 holes accepts the Mercedes prop end.
Voila! – no more need for an 80s bmw prop end (becoming the holy grail to find).

Mark

"my wife says I take no notice of her - at least I think that's what she said"

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 20:06:03 »
when will you be doing an Auto version for those with only 2 pedals? ;D

In awe here!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mkbull

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 21:17:22 »
Hi James
Well - if you mean Auto to 5 speed Manual, the only real obstacle was the flywheel, NLA from Mercedes for some time. ( I have now made several lightweight flywheels for owners including myself to get past this hurdle).
If you mean Auto to modern Auto - Well that would be another challenge........

Mark

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:29 »
Hi Mark,

Having done your 5 speed conversion in a manual, I think you need to start to think about the 5 speed in an auto.  Now that would really improve things and get around the axle change over that many have done as well. ;D ;D ;D ;)
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:03 »
Mark

What Garry said!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:25 »
It's 2013.  Why a 5-speed?  If you are going to all that effort, why not a 6, 7 or better?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 17:52:51 »
My land rover has an 8 spped box and is a ZF if that helps! ;D
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 18:19:53 »
Anything that involves installing electronics is a retrograde step in my view.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 07:24:12 »
I am always on the look out for these boxes and they don't come up for sale very often.
However,I have just been offered 8 getrag 265 5 speed boxes, all reportedly in good order and all without the mechanical speedo drives.
They are £1000 but if I buy all of them I can have them for £900 each. I will want two of them so I can offer six people a chance to buy this very rare box for £900 plus shipping.
They do not come with a guarantee but the supplier, someone I know well, assures me that they are all in good order. At this price and considering how difficult they are to come by I think they're a bargain. I'll need to move quickly though so speak up if you want one. Reply here if you do and the first 6 people that appear below this post will be the people that get them. After that you can put yourself on the reserve list.
stick

mkbull

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 17:03:46 »
Hi Colin

Some people must be finding them, because 9 of my new flexi disks went out last week! mostly to USA.

I only made 10 in the first batch so I am underway manufacturing the next batch right now. As I mentioned earlier, the correct era BMW prop shaft was becoming more of the holy grail to source and you needed this (or at least the end of it) to complete the conversion. I have a deal with the biggest breakers organization in the North of England that they will give me every one that they come across but after the last batch of five, last year, they completely dried up. Anyhow fortunately this is no longer an issue.

I've had a number of people asking me if I can help find the gearbox and I have sourced quite a few now but didn't get one for everyone who asked so Ill go back through my emails and tell them that you possibly have a few Getrags - sounds good.

Mark

Picture of my own 5 speeder!!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 17:54:39 »
What a beautiful photo - thanks for posting!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 17:55:09 »
thanks Mark,
Like I said, I've been having great difficulty finding them here in the UK. Maybe they're easier to find in the US?

I don't recall seeing a report on here that your car is finally finished!!

Jim Rosenthal

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 22:45:08 »
Mark, if you find one, please let me know. My deal for one dried up- the box was damaged when I got it and I had no confidence that it had actually been rebuilt properly. There was obvious wear on the throwout bearing sleeve and one of the threaded bosses where the shifter mounts was cracked through. I've asked them for a refund and they have the unit now. If you find one, I am very keen to hear of it and buy it from you. I am still looking for one.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 16:20:17 »
Jim,
Did you mean to address Mark or are you addressing me?

Edit,
I just re-read your other posts and realise you need a sport box rather than an o/drive one.

please confirm either way.

Stick

Rodolfo

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:48 »
I am living in Belgium and just a few days ago purchased a 1966 230 sl. Manual transmission.

Egine is running very well. But ratio (probably 4,08) is to short. Known problem.

I would like to keep all original parts aside.

So who can provide and install a complete Getrag 5 speed with appropriate differential in the neighborhood of Belgium. Or if  for instance in England, possibility to bring in the car and drive out 1 or two days later.

I guess :

1) or we keep 4,08, then we need an overdrive Getrag

2) or we change 4,08, then we need a 5-speed Getrag, no overdrive

I would like to have all done completely. What would be the price level I should think about.

Also preferable keeping all original parts aside, for value of the car.

If it is to close to the price of an original ZF-5 speed installation in Germany, then it is not wise, I guess.

best regards, Rudy

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 22:46:11 »
Rudy,
Purchase of S/H Getrag: £1000 (maybe £900, see above)
Overhaul of s/h Getrag: £600
Purchase of mechanical speedo drive (fitted during o/haul) £300
Mark's kit: (how much are the kits now Mark?) Lets say £500
My fitting: (say 10 hours max) £800.00

Total £3200 plus taxes.

Half the price of the ZF 5 speed if you can actually get one.

Colin

araldo

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 01:00:16 »
Hallo MKBULL,  when you use your new flexi disk with the pagoda transmission-shaft, how short you cut it so that  it will work ? The  BMW getrag is longer than Mercedes 4 gear.  What is the price for the new flexi disk?
Thanks 4 your answer
Araldo

araldo

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:35 »
Hallo Mark your personal message is full

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 16:58:45 »
I am working with Mark on developing his kit further so let me know what you want to ask him and I'll pass it on.