Author Topic: Window problem  (Read 17662 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Window problem
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:18:10 »
I've put my hard top back on and have run into a window problem.
I believe that I've tried every adjustment but it my passenger side window behaves as if it is too wide (front to back). The problem is that when the window is rolled all the way up and then the door is closed, the back edge of the window gets caught on the outer edge of the weatherstrip. This props the entire window away from the car so it doesn't seal anywhere. If I roll the window down 1/4" it will clear the weather strip. Logically I figured that I needed to move the window a little more forward, but 1)I don't see an adjustment for this, and 2)the front edge of the window is already tightly against the front weather strip. The weatherstripping itself looks good and is seated properly.
I think that I know what I'm doing since I was able to adjust the driver side window so that it does what it is supposed to do, i.e. when rolled all the way up it leans into the car a bit and then seals up all around when the door is closed.
For now, I have to give special instructions to the passenger. The passenger window has to be rolled down at least 1/4" to open or close
the door. Once the door is closed it can be rolled all the way up and will seal nicely. In fact, it is essentially impossible to open the passenger door when the window is rolled up all the way.
Should I start "trimming" the outer edge of the rear weather seal?
Thanks for any ideas.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Window problem
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:47:48 »
Have you tried adjusting the two long bolts at the bottom of the steel tracks? These should help to adjust the 'lean in'.
The glass needs to remain parralel to the door top otherwise you get too much pressure on the seal strips.

naj
68 280SL

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:15:40 »
Naj, thanks but unfortunately adjusting those 2 bolts does not affect my problem: the outer edge of the bottom 1/4 of the rear weatherstrip interferes with the bottom 1/4 of the rear edge of the window glass when it's rolled all the way up.
Thinking that the glass was a little crooked (rotated), I played around with adjusting its position by loosening the bolts where its bottom edge is held in the regulator. Problem was that when I got the back edge of the glass to clear the weatherstrip by lowering the back end of the glass, the top edge of the glass was no longer parallel to the upper weatherstrip.
I thinks it might be time to take a razor to the rubber.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

redpagoda

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:00:36 »
I am in the process of re-fitting my windows after a restoration. My primary objective is that the fit works best with the soft top. From my experience there is no movement available from the front track as this is fixed, however the rear part can be adjusted by loosening the large screws that hold the rear part of the regulator to the door. I also removed two of the shims from the soft top on the passenger side moving forward the B side of the rubber seal. I have used a port a power to move forward the soft top from where it is bolted in the rear.  I guess what I am getting at is before you take the knife to the rubber seals consider all the other possibilities. Remember that due to the age of the vehicles we have that there are variances between the soft top fit and the hard top fit. Choose which is most important to you. For me the reduction of wind noise was with the soft top as I rarely use my hard top.

Best of luck

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 13:12:56 »
Red Pagoda, thanks for your input. I have played around with those large screws holding the regulator to the door, as well as the  bolts holding the tops and bottoms of the channels, as well as the channel where the bottom edge of the glass is held by the regulator. No go. Because I must set the regulator stop to allow the window to roll up essentially its entire height in order to get the top edge of the window to seal, I have concluded that somehow my hardtop may be sitting a little too high (despite the fact that it is securely locked down). And therefore because the window has to roll up its entire height to seal its top edge, it becomes relatively too wide to seal along its aft edge when rolled all the way up.
Unfortunately, my solution has been less than elegant: although I didn't use a razor, I did sand the outer edge of the rear seal with emory cloth. Since I have been timid about sanding too much, I have found that keeping that outer edge of the rear seal slippery with Vaseline then allows the window to slip by and seal properly when the door is shut. A little annoying, but so far this is the only annoyance that I am currently dealing with and I love this car now.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:53 »
This is always tricky to do.
The window glass has many different adjustments but what's mosty important is the window height stop. If it's to high the glass won't fit the opening even though it appears to be placed properly. Rooling down the window first before closing only fools you into thinking it's OK. When you roll up the window it will find its own height and stop at the top seal. The door won't open properly until you roll the window down. This is a problem with haveing the glass too high.

Another problem I've run into is a twisted frame. Not the top frame, although that can happen, but rather the frame of the car. I had one that we worked on for a whole day or more. I finaly got the drivers side to work more or less as it should but there was a gap at the top front of the glass. Nothing I did fixed it.
The passenger side was worse and the glass barely fit the opening. After I meassured the door opening I found the drivers side was 3 to 4 mm wider than it was supposed to be and the passenger side was over 10 mm wider. I had to put several shims behind the stricker on the passenger side just to get the door to close.
The result was the window glass coundn't fit the much larger opening. The soft top was pulled as far forward as it could be moved and  the glass just fit. That's how far things can be out and still work, albeit half assed.
The people who welded the frame rails back in didn't support the car properly or cut both sides out at once which is a big mistake. You always start with the weakest or the side that's most rusty. Measure the door openings before you start and try and maintain that standard. On this car the doors are too wide top to bottom and on the pasenger side the car is actually bowed out or apart.
I offer this as something to look for. If it was restored it could be very bent. It's possible to fix this somewhat if it's not too bad by using a frame pulling machine.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

bpossel

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 10:48:09 »
Hi Andy,

I had all sorts of trouble getting my windows to fit properly until, with help from our friends on this forum, realized that I had after-market rubber seals.  Once I replaced all after-market seals with MB seals, the windows adjusted perfectly. Make sure to use the MB seals.  While expensive, these will work for you and last for many many years.
Bob  :)

DavidBrough

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:11 »
Hi Andy,

Just a thought, is the door itself fitted correctly? If not adjusting it slightly may help the window fit.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 13:13:20 »
Thanks bpossel, I do have rather new MB weatherstripping. I also replaced my regulators about 5 years ago, and I'm using U-channel rubber guides in the steel channels, rather than the original glass clamps/guides.

David, thanks! I had noticed a very slight difference in the gaps on the driver vs. passenger doors. Do you know which bolts control the fore/aft positioning of the door, and which ones control the up/down? Are these bolts on the door or on the car itself?

It's just me, but I find that getting the window to seal well today doesn't guarrantee that it will seal well a month from now. Maybe its temperature changes/humidity or wear and tear on the regulator. I am coming to the conclusion that it's just not worth the wear and tear on the chrome-holding screw holes and the door panels to remove these too often (not to mention effort and frustration) to get a "perfect" seal. For me, the only times that I need a perfect seal is in the rain or with high speed driving (for noise). With this in mind, I've ordered some 3/8" wide (thickness of the glass) rubber U-channel to have available in the car to slip on the window edges when needed. These are just thin strips, not the thick kind that are placed in the steel guide channels. If it works for those situations I'll be fine because I'm willing to accept a 1/8" gap at all other times.
Also, unless the top edge of the window is tight up against its seal, my window tends to "bow out" at high speeds. This often requires the passenger to lower the window a bit to correct the bow, and then crank the regulator just a little more to seal the window tightly. I thinks this extra cranking may be a little to forceful sometimes, and I think this repetitive procedure adds to some regulator "slop" that I'm seeing over time. Maybe the U-channel will eliminate the need to do this.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 14:29:56 by awolff280sl »
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

DavidBrough

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:07 »
Hi Andy,

I've never adjusted the doors unfortunately so can't help with any advice I'm afraid.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 21:28:05 »
Has anyone thought of a better design/engineering solution to making the windows fit better/adjust easier??
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:19:51 »
I am getting pretty close to replacing my door panels after having spent many, many hours on each door/window in an attempt to:
1) Eliminate wind noise at high speed
2) Eliminate "popping out" at high speed
3) Eliminate rain leaks.
I must acknowlege Gernold's generous telephone advice during this ordeal. He often asked if I had any hair left.
The process involved removing the windows, rails, and regulators and starting from scratch. The doors were very dirty and greasy internally, and needed a thorough cleaning before lining with Dynamat.

I used a small size MB hose cut into segments for the holes in the glass, and new rubber gasket strips from the hardware store for the lifter attachment sandwich bracket.

I replaced bolts and nuts with SS.

I bought 2 new tinted windows from MB to replace my old untinted and badly scratched windows. These windows come wth the original slotted blocks glued to the glass. I also surrounded the block/glass interface with silicon caulk in the hopes of keeping out any moisture that may eventually lead to the well-known loosening of these blocks.

Every step was done with extreme caution to avoid placing stress on the glass. While I couldn't avoid stressing the glass to some extent during the process, I did not end up breaking the glass. The door striker needs to be removed to be able to test gentle closing during adjustments.

I put in the window regulator and lifting mechanism before the glass, but I think they could go in after as well. I did not connect the regulator winding mechanism to the lifting mechaism at this point. None of the bolts were tightened yet. I put a piece of foam at the bottom of the door for "pyschological" security.

The rails go in first (along with the rainguards), but only after they had been thoroughly cleaned, including the use of emory paper to remove any irregularities along the sliding surfaces. But before putting in the rails, I found it very important (having learned from the side I did first), to make sure there were no burrs or thick paint that would interfere with the rails lying as far laterally as possible. On one door this required using a file. (There was a burr present created by the top front trim screw that holds the rubber door seal.) One can always shim the rails if needed, but if the rails are not far apart enough at their tops, the glass will be overly squeezed as it is rolled up. Neither the upper nor lower rail bolts/nuts are tightened yet.   

I removed the "anti-rattle" screws from the guides before lowering the windows, and used a screwdriver to gently pry open the plastic guides to allow them to engage the rails more easily. (There are small orange o-rings in these guides that should  be present.) The window was then carefully lowered into the rails. (Those short "anti-rattle" screws were not placed until near the very end of the whole process, and I needed a Dremel to slightly enlarge the holes in the rain guards to give me a shot at the threads. Ultimately, I have not had to tighten these screws since the new plastic inserts seem to provide enough inherent anti-rattle pressure.) The curve of the window should determine the in/out position of the lower fixation of the rails at this point,  but if either guide is disengaging from the rails with the window down, the lower fixation points for the rails can be provisionally tightened. The top front chrome guide was not yet placed.

I then supported the window in a semi-raised position with blocks of wood inside the door to allow attachment of the rubber/metal sandwich strips that hold the bottom of the window. I changed the original hex head bolts for phillips heads to give me more feel  with a screwdriver of how tight I was squeezing the glass when I eventually tightened these. The most aft hole takes a slightly longer screw because it serves to also hold a bracket that can serve to limit both upward and lower travel. However, I am convinced that it should only be the stop bolt on the regulator that serves the function of upward limitation. The bracket on the window should not be used to create the upward limit, and on both windows I needed to slide the brackets all the way down to prevent them from interfering with the upward limit of the windows, picture "stop bracket" (in a separate post further down this thread.) I then attached the lifting mechanism to the window, but again did not yet link it up to the winding mechanism.

At this point, the glass should be able to be easily lifted and lowered by hand, (as long as you keep the bottom edge perfectly horizontal) although it may get tight as it reaches the top.
It was only after I had assured myself that I could raise and lower the window relatively easily by hand that I connected it to the winder.
Once connected to the winder, I was able to make some preliminary adjustments to keep the window rolling up and down smoothly.
The most important thing to look for at this point is how tight the front edge of the window is against the front top chrome guide. This involved removing and inserting this piece and rolling the window and observing how tight a fit at various window heights. Factors affecting how tight this guide becomes are: 1) how much shimming is needed on the top of the back rail, and 2) the front/back tilting of the window, 3) the fore/aft position of the bolts holding the bottoms of the rails. However, at this point it is only necessary to make sure that the chrome guide is not too tight at all window heights, as well as having an understanding of which adjustments would affect this tightness. I would also mention that the bolts holding the tops of both fore and aft rails will come to sit at the outer edge of their oblong holes.

Next comes the adjustment process that took me many hours, and eventually even required a slight door hinge adjustments on the passenger side to get it right. Obviously, the goal is to get good seals at the front, back, and top of the window with the window rolled up all the way to the hard stop created by the bolt on the regulator. An absolute necessity is the very liberal application of silicon grease/paste (not spray) to all of the seals. The door is closed gently and the window position is observed. I made the following adjustments, over and over again:

1) If the back edge of the window does not clear the back seal:
               a) the top of the aft rail bolt may need shimming. This may require use of a longer bolt as long as it does not protrude into the rail. (However, this shimiming may over-tighten the window in the front chrome guide at certain window heights. This over-tightening at the front guide may then require a fore-aft tilting adjustment of the window. The fore-aft tilting adjustment is accomplished primarily in the metal/rubber sandwich strips, but also by tilting the lifting mechanism itself in its slotted bolt holes.)
               b) a fore/aft tilting adjustment can also be made as noted above to allow the back edge of the window to clear the seal..

2) The front top edge of the window needs to sit squarely in the middle of the groove of the front seal at all window heights. It should not push on the inner edge of the seal nor stand too far away from it. This adjustment is made at the bottom of the front rail.

3) If the window doesn't roll up all the way:
               a) something blocking?: check the sliding bracket at the most aft hole on the rubber/metal strip, also check that the guide block is not hitting the bottom edge of the whisker. This bottom edge should be removed-Picture below "whisker trim"
               b) rails too tight?- related to front chrome guide and/or top aft shims; also could be the bottom of the rails are too far in or out.
               c) front chrome guide too tight?:  again, related to fore/aft tilting of the window and/or rear rail shimming.  
                Once a) b) & c)are found to be ok, height should be able to be adjusted by the height limit bolt on the regulator. However, as the window is brought closer to the top seal, the lean of the window, as controlled by both fore and aft bottom rail bolts/nuts, needs to be adjusted so that window leans in just a bit. The amount of this leaning only needs to be just enough so that the top edge of the window contacts the seal and is pushed up into the seal at the very last few degrees of closing the door.
Additional height can be gained, if needed, by 1) moving the slots for the 2 bolts holding the lifting mechanism to the rubber/metal braket further aft (picture-"lifter"), and 2) by rotating the regulator a bit in its bolt slots.

According to Gernold, it is typical that the very lowest inch or two of the back seal is pulled slightly away from its mounting by a well sealed window,(picture "rear seal"). I found this to be the case on both my windows. He also said that it is typical that a well sealed window that gets rolled down and then up again with the door closed (say, when you pay a toll), will not seal as perfectly. In other words, a good seal is only possible if the window is rolled all the way up with the door open, and then the door is closed. I also found this to be the case. However, I have found this to be a function of how much friction exists between the front edge of the window and the front seal. With generous, repeated applications of silicon grease to the very absorbant front seal, I have been able to fix this problem. That is, as long as the front seal stays well-lubed.

No nuts or bolts got well-tightened until I was sure that I had finally acheived what I was after. That happened many times.

I did not have to glue the chrome guide. Instead I was able to secure it by using a longer allen head set screw that protruded a bit through the access slot and thus prevented it from migrating upwards, as well as wedging a thin rubber shim at one edge to prevent rattling. ( Picture-"chrome guide")

The strikers were replaced dead on using the tape/grease dab trick credited to Al Lieffering.

I used MB sunroof grease to very lightly grease only the inner rails of the channels, and lithium grease for the regulator. I did not grease anything else.

I utilized the tiny hole at the top of the rear channels (that had always been unused on my car) to tap and place a small trim screw to hold the seal, (picture-"trim", in a separate post further down this thread).

I have not replaced my door panels yet since I'm waiting for a good rain to test for leaks. But so far, I have no rattles and no air leaks at 80mph, and I'm hopeful. The solid sound made when the doors are closed with the windows rolled up is now unmistakable. I would wager that someone with a good ear would be able to say whether or not a window was sealing properly based entirely upon the sound made upon closing. Much, much better than the sound of breaking glass that I feared during the entire time I was doing this project.
For now, the car always sleeps with the windows rolled all the way up with a generous amount of silicon on the seals. I think it needs to become comfortable with this position.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:39:50 by awolff280sl »
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 07:40:06 »
Are you going to post your collected knowledge in the Technical Manual?

Do you have photographs to accompany your description? It would make an excellent section!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 13:31:10 »
Peter, I did not take pictures along the way, but I can take some now that I think would be helpful and insert them at appropriate spots in my post. After I do that, should I just put the whole thing in the manual as is? How do I do that? Thanks.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 16:02:32 »
Either just mail the whole lot to me, or, more satisfying for yourself, learn how to add stuff to the manual... start by reading this: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.News. Anyway, thanks for a good description already!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 18:23:45 »
More pictures:
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 18:47:45 »
If anyone has gotten this far down this thread, maybe they can have a look at their car and help me with a still lingering issue.
On my car there is a gap, almost 1/4" high by 1/2" long, between the top of the front end of the door sear/chrome mounting and the bottom of the chrome channel that holds the front window seal. This is present on both sides of my car and are identical. One can see into the interior through this gap. I can't seem to get a decent picture of it that would help identify the location more easily, but you have to squat down to eye level to appreciate it. At least on my car, this gap cannot be fixed by adjusting the seals or rubber because the gap essentially exists between 2 chrome pieces, ie between the bottom of the front window seal holding chrome and the top of the front door seal holding chrome. I am expecting to install the piping or "windlace" that goes along the interior of the door jamb, and this will likely cover this gap, but only from the inside. Is that the way it is? Thanks. 
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 00:35:51 »
Hi Andy,

I'm having difficulty visualizing where this gap is located.  Can you provide a pic to show the general area even if it doesn't have the detail you speak about.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:23:29 »
Hi Andy,
I am unsure what area you mean, as well...
However, there is a gap by design in the soft-top, see attached pic.
As far as I understand it, this gap serves as an escape for air flowing in at the
ventilation openings in the dash

When HardTop is mounted, the air diffuses out via the perforated headliner, and then passes out
at the gap at the top of the rear window, under the chrome trim lip there.

/Hans in Sweden

I'm having difficulty visualizing where this gap is located.  Can you provide a pic to show the general
area even if it doesn't have the detail you speak about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:11:14 by mbzse »
/Hans S

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 03:14:05 »
Jeff and Hans, thanks for prodding me along. I think I've gotten a decent picture:
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:55 »
Hi Andy. I just looked at my car and its seems like your gap might be a bit larger than mine -- but I do have one. Maybe 1/8 of an inch. The rubber pillar seal is cut at an angle which tapers into that space and I don't think much air or noise could get through mine. Not the case in plenty of other places! Unlike you, I didn't have the patience (or the brains maybe) to adjust things...Nice work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:32:59 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 03:36:32 »
OCD is a powerful motivator.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

bpossel

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:28:27 »
Hi Andy,

I also just measured the gaps on my windows..
Left side gap is 1.5mm; right side gap is 3.9mm.

I am sure all of our cars will be different....

Bob  :)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 13:13:54 »
For anyone considering doing their windows, I've edited and added athe window adjustment post to the Tech Manual. Hope it helps.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 15:56:22 »
Hi Andy,

I have an 1/8in gap at this location.  When I installed new rubber weatherstripping there was none.  Like John I cut the rubber at an angle to mesh tightly with the chrome window guide on the door.  Over time the weatherstripping has a tendancy to shrink creating these gaps.  I think this is why MB placed those sharp edged spring steel pieces behind the rubber to hold it stretched out and in place.   In the meantime you can remove the rubber and stretch it some.  Maybe armor all will help to lubricate the rubber. Ultimately you should get new seals and prior to trimming the upper and lower ends compress the rubber in place to account for later shrinkage.  I'm missing some of the spring steel clips.  I need to find some new ones.  I think these would help also.