Author Topic: Window problem  (Read 17663 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Re: Window problem
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 17:57:53 »
Thanks Jeff. What spring steel clips?
Anyway, all my seals are new and I did cut the ends a bit on an angle, and I did (had to) keep longitudinal compression on the seals while inserting them in order to get the length right (otherwise they would have ended up too long). But the gap still exists between the chrome pieces. The rubber pieces seal nicely end-to-end at that spot, however. I'm concluding that it must have something to do with the door height (which I'm not going to mess with). If the piping/windlace I'm going to install along the inner door jamb does not stop the leaking there during our heavy Florida downpours, I'll probably figure a way to insert a piece of rubber in that gap.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 22:13:02 by awolff280sl »
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 22:42:37 »
Part number 63 in the attached picture.  It fits between the weatherstripping and the metal channel.  The barbs help hold the rubber in place so that it doesn't slide down or up.

jeffc280sl

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 22:57:14 »
Maybe a door adjustment is needed.   What do the rest of the seams look like?   It is a royal pain to do.  I remember a great write up about a couple of months ago.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 23:01:44 »
Jeff, is that just for the soft top (because folding makes the rubber tend to slide), or are there barb things for the hardtop rubber and front window seal?

After having just done the windows, I'm not touching the door hinges. But the seams look fine and the mouldings all line up, so I think I'd be trading one problem for another. Can't tempt me.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo