Author Topic: Chrome trim removal  (Read 12969 times)

Robert_F

Chrome trim removal
« on: April 04, 2008, 15:04:23 »
As a new and still learning owner I'm considering removing some trim to be rechromed, first on the list of trim in need are the exterior chrome moldings on the upper part of the doors against the window glass. Can these be popped off from the exterior or should I remove the door panels and go in from the inside of the door?

Windshield and rear window chrome trim as well, will removing the clips and gently pulling them back be ok or is this best left to an expert?

I want to take great care not to damage anything and may just take it to the body shop if there is a risk of my screwing it up. I'm good with tools and have taken on any number of projects with many other cars over the years but this is my first vintage car and I want to be on the safe side.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Robert
1970 280 SL
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 15:06:27 by Robert_F »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Chrome trim removal
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:36:49 »
Hello, Robert,

In the absence of more experienced responses.....

I would leave the windshield and rear glass to the body shop experts. If they break the glass, they pay to to replace it!!
I believe the front trim comes off after the windshield is out.

The door glass trim is held in place by two sets of clips (with barbs). They have to be pryed up, but place a hard card/plate below your implement to save damaging the door panel.

Will try to find you some pictures later.

Door card hangs on inner 'whisker clip:

Chrome trim held by outer 'whisker clip' + a second clip in the chrome strip itself:

naj
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 16:23:20 by naj »
68 280SL

Robert_F

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:08:16 »
Thanks Naj!

Robert
1970 280 SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 15:31:14 »
And the Chrome trim clips:

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:28 »
Naj,

I ordered new outside chrome trim clips for the passenger and driver window/door and received a set of clips as shown in the lower photo of your April 5 posting.  The original clips were one piece and very similar looking to the new ones.  Both have an inner channel for the felt strip and an outer clip for the chrome trim.  I was never happy the mounting of the chrome trim strip in the outer clip on the new mounts.  The angle is vertical and did not mesh well with the trim and the trim would come loose.  Much later I ordered a second clip as shown in your April 9th photo.  This clip has the correct angle for mounting the chrome trim but does not have the inner channel for the window felt.

I ended up grinding the outer U shaped section off the first clip and using it to mount the felt strip.  I then fit the second clip to door to firmly hold the chrome trim piece in place.  

It now takes two clips to do what was previously done by one.

Did you do the same?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:52:32 »
New twist on this one: Does anyone know how to remove the chrome valence between the rear bumpers. This is the Euro-only piece we have discussed recently. I can't quite figure it out...Thanks
-------------------------------------------
Disregard! I figured it out. The piece essentially lifts up and off. The valence has three clips that have a downward prong that clip onto small brackets on the body. If anyone wants a picture I can add one.

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 19:10:28 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

dsayars

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 16:02:07 »
Hi Naj-

I have a '66 230SL Euro model and your pics of the outer door chrome strip/felt strip clips are very revealing and helpful--thanks! I want to replace the felt strips and every other post I found talked of plastic strips. Perhaps the plastic is for North American models?

Anyway, I'm not clear as to the exact steps to be followed in removing the two pieces. There seem to be two types of clips involved:

Clip 1:

clip 2:

Clip 1 belongs to the felt strip and Clip2 belongs to the chrome strip. To remove the chrome strip, my first guess would be that you locate Clip2 it where it's concealed under the strip, and pry up it up off the metal lip of the door (protecting the paint with a card or whatever)?  This way you're lifting the clip and the chrome strip together? My first choice would not be to try to pry up the strip itself, though I could imagine that a combination of lift and rotating it toward you might work. In any case, can you tell me how it should be done?

BTW, I'm going to experiment by replacing only the outer felt strip and see how this works. That's where I see all the disintegration. If I could find where to get my hands on the felt fabric itself, I would try simply replacing that on the old strip to see how that works--not the new strips are that expensive, but I enjoy experimenting. As you've no doubt noticed, the "felt" isn't felt at all but a type of carpet. Half of mechanics is getting past the misnomers.

Anyway, would much appreciate a piece of your knowledge.

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 14:30:11 by dsayars »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:46:15 »
Hello, Dave,

quote:
I want to replace the felt strips and every other post I found talked of plastic strips. Perhaps the plastic is for North American models?

Only one sealing rail is mentioned in the parts list. The latest part # is A 115 725 0965. Comes in 2200 mm lenghts, so enough to do both sides on one door.

quote:
Clip 1 belongs to the felt strip and Clip2 one belongs to the chrome strip (though it's not part of it). To remove the chrome strip, my first guess would be that you locate Clip2 it where it's concealed under the strip, and pry up it up off the metal lip of the door (jprotecting the paint with a card or whatever)? This way you're lifting the clip and the chrome strip together? My first choice would not be to try to pry up the strip itself, though I could imagine that a combination of lift and rotating it toward you might work. In any case, can you tell me how it should done?

According to the parts list, there are 5 of Clip1 and 6 of Clip2 on each door. I personally did not remove the strips, but I imagine prying will remove the strip and the sealing rail may lift at the same time....

quote:
As you've no doubt noticed, the "felt" isn't felt at all but a type of carpet, but then the chrome strip isn't chrome, either, it's stainless. Half (50%[:p])of mechanics is getting past the misnomers.

Nah! maybe 5% since we all seem to understand what you're talking about.
So, what's the rubber insert in the lower brass trim?

Let us know how you get on with your experimental carpet material.

naj

68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 13:19:48 by naj »
68 280SL

dsayars

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 19:46:54 »
Thanks, Van. Uploads fixed, and so is the problem. One of those cases where you ask somebody else the question and the answer comes to you. But without the forum you can't ask somebody else the question. It turned out I had four clip1's and one clip2. They all came up with a screwdriver and brought the chrome strip with them.

quote:
Originally posted by vanesp

Dave,

I tried to fix your uploads, but the files you uploaded are empty. Could you edit your post and try again? Name them .jpg though!

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.

dsayars

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 20:23:58 »
Thanks, Naj. I misspoke. I meant say that in every other post they described plastic clips holding on the chrome strip, which invaribly broke if you removed them and had to be replaced. Maybe this is true of N. American cars?

I did manage to get the chrome stip off (as I told Van, a case where you ask the question and the answer comes to you, but you need the forum to ask the question). Interestingly, there were three clip1's and only one clip2, but the chrome strip definitely wasn't going anywhere.

I managed to get the first of the clip1's off the old felt strip and put in on a generic-looking felt strip Ihad lying around, origin unknown, which is just the right length. (May have picked it up at a junkyard.) I mounted it on the door lip experimently and it looks as if it might work, and without having to replace the interior felt as well. I'll keep you posted.
quote:
So, what's the rubber insert in the lower brass trim?

Can you clarify the question?

-Dave

Update: Here's a pic of original felt strip with new "carpet" attached. Apparently the proper term for it was "pile weatherstrip," at least in the U.S. It's self-adhesive, about 1/4" thick, only comes in gray. You can get it at about any place that does home window glass installation. It seems to do the trick, we'll see how it holds up.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:15:04 by dsayars »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 19:34:03 »
.... Chrome trim held by outer 'whisker clip' + a second clip in the chrome strip itself:  ....
Hi Naj,
do you recall whether clip2 fits over clip1 or attaches directly to the rim on the door?
Also, this clip (p/n 001 988 96 78) was only used on 230SL/250SL/and 280SL up to chassis number 002963 013250.
I wonder why it was eliminated on later cars and what took its place, if anything?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 21:38:32 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 20:09:42 »
Hi Naj,
do you recall whether clip2 fits over clip1 or attaches directly to the rim on the door?
Also, this clip (p/n 001 988 96 78) was only used on 230SL/250SL/and 280SL up to chassis number 002963.
I wonder why it was eliminated on later cars and what took its place, if anything?

Hello, Alfred,

Clip1 fits on the door and holds the whisker strip as well.

Clip2 fits on thr door trim strip and attaches to the door rim directly. It should be spaced to fit inbetween clips1.
If I remember correctly, 5 off clip1 are used on each door but only 3 off clip2?

EPC says 001 988 9678 used upto 044 013250. In fact, my molested 280  (< 01350) was missing these so I guess they are not absolutely necessary  ???

naj
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 20:18:05 by naj »
68 280SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 20:33:33 »
Thanks Naj!
The 250SL-280SL spare parts list (edition C)  shows that you need 6 of them per car and 10/car of clip1 (p/n 001 988 93 78), just as you wrote.  And elimination after chassis 13250 is correct too, I looked up the wrong footnote in the spare parts list.  :-[
It is strange that the p/n for the chrome trim (p/n 113 728 0135 {left} , 0235 {right}) did not change, so most likely there was no design change.
I am missing all of the clip2 and have mounted the trim directly onto the 5 clip1 - seems to work fine.  And it is a lot easier to pop the trim off again.  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 21:36:52 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 23:47:38 »
After my previous post I took a closer look into my parts box and found 3 of the missing clips (clip2). However, after trying to use them I decided against it since I am pretty sure that trim removal in the future would be quite difficult.  Also I am not sure whether these clips would have improved anything since the trim piece is attached very firmly by the 5 other clips and does not move.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 23:54:04 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:34:58 »
I would mount clip2 on the trim first.  :)

naj
68 280SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 16:59:07 »
Of course - but only if I really wanted to use them.
Alfred