Author Topic: Tach Light Wire Lead ?  (Read 6828 times)

bpossel

Tach Light Wire Lead ?
« on: October 10, 2007, 21:48:40 »
Hello All!

Where should the wire lead (power) for the Tach light connect to?  This appears to be the main power lead for all instrument lighting?

It looks like a PO ran a small wire from a connection directly connected to the headlight switch, postion #58.

Is this correct or should the instruments get their power from another location?  Current connect seems very odd.

Atached diagram shows how my current wiring connects to the back of the headlight switch...

Note: 3 wires connected to "58"...???

Download Attachment: HeadLight Switch.jpg
64.74 KB

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:08:24 by bpossel »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Tach Light Wire Lead ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:48:14 »
Bob,

Can you get a copy of the wiring diagram (use Diagram in the search function, limit to general discussion, and title only). I got several hits, but could not read the diagram very well on the computer screen. It should be able to show you the connections, and they appear to be numbered the same as you show on your diagram. I am very curious to understand why the PaL and PaR are not hooked up. These should be for the left and right park lights, and would be expected to be in place. I have the diagrams printed at home and will check later. But I suspect there will be an asnwer posted before that.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:16:12 »
Thanks Johnny!

Please look at this diagram.  I believe this is correct?

Download Attachment: Instrumentwiring.jpg
73.17 KB

So I need to determine why the PO hooked the blue/grey (grey/blue) wire to the light switch?

The reason for this post and to ensure this is all connected properly is that I am installing a new headlight switch.  This weekend when I turned on my lights, I smelled something burning.  I quickly turned them off again.  Got home and pulled the Tach out and also the light switch.  With switch removed, turned it back on in order to trace the issue.  Switch got very hot.  Earlier post from Dan indicated the switch is bad if it gets hot.  What's also odd is that when I temporarily hooked everything back up again in order to drive the car (daytimes...), when I turn the headlight switch to the very first position to the right, it quickly blows fuse #7.

So, I want to ensure that with the new switch, all is hooked up as it should be.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:54:29 »
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!!!

...or Bob

the terminal 58 connection that the panel lamps are tapped into is a circuit that is not fused. The correcc wire that goes to the speedometer, comes out of the wiring where the ignition switch wires come out of the main harness, I dont recall where wire for the tach pops out of the main harness, and the center cluster is wired through the plug in connector to the left of the steering column.

The switch heating up can be a symptom of a defective switch but it also can be the result of miswiring and there could possibily be other circuits that have been improperly jumpered and are not protected by fuses.

It sounds like it is time to start from scratch disconnect everything that is connected to the lighting circuits, and test to make sure they are connected correctly through a fused circuit before puting everything back to gether.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
New blue top just arrived
new gas tank on order
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:28:21 by al_lieffring »

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:42:53 »
Thanks Al,

Funny!  Sometimes feel like "Lost in Space..."

What I will do is make sure to only hook up the "grey" wire onto connection "58", as shown on the wiring diagram.

I am hoping that the blue/grey that was hooked up to "58" is the wire that is supposed to go directly to the Tach light. I will go slow...

I have been driving this car for 4 years w/o an issue with this "wrong" wiring.  I recently installed new Euro lights and started using the fog lights (which I didnt have on the US lights).  Maybe this additional load of the fogs have now caused the wiring issue to surface.

Anyone else with any wiring advice is appreciated...!!!

Thanks again,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 19:13:17 »
Update....

When I installed the new switch, I only connected the grey wire to "58" (as per wiring diagram).

The other wire (Grey/Blue) that was connected to "58" by a PO, I connected this directly to one of the Tach light bulbs (the other bulb is cross tied in).

This corrected the issue.  I also removed and bypassed my rheostat.  This had gotten fried at some point and may have caused this original issue???

See posting on 'Bypass Rheostat - Update'.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 19:16:30 by bpossel »

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 07:50:22 »
Hi Bob,

Can't say about the wire colors because I don't have that detail. But going by the wiring diagram in the BBB,  power for all dash lamps feeds through the dimmer rheostat.  You already know this rheostat gets its feed from fuse #7.  Fuse #7 is connected to terminal #58 on the headlight switch.

Any dash lamp should be fused.  If the PO bypassed fuse #7 and connected terminal #58 to the tach lamp feed this circuit would bypass the fuse and rheostat.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 19:45:28 »
Thanks Jeff!

Long post….  Don’t fall asleep…  :o

I want to summarize the issue I had... I believe that I had a couple issues going on... incorrect wiring by a previous owner and a loose wire connection on my front right side park light.

Last week, within a few minutes of turning on my headlights, I noticed a burning smell coming from the dash area.  I quickly turned off the headlights (luckily it was during the day) and the smell went away.

By removing all dash instruments, including the headlight switch, I found that a previous owner ran a small black “patch” wire from the Tach light directly to position "58" on the headlight switch (this by-passed fuse #7).  The previous owner also ran the grey/blue wire that comes out from the same bundle of wires that connects to the headlight switch to position “58” on the switch.  Also installed on position “58” was a solid grey colored wire.

To be safe, I installed a new headlight switch and only connected the solid grey colored wire to position “58”, as per the wiring diagram.  I completely discarded the small black “patch” wire.  I connected the grey/blue wire to the back of one of the Tach lights.  Note: wiring diagram shows grey/blue colored wires for the dash lighting.

Now when I turned the headlight switch to the 1st position, #7 fuse popped (no burning smell).  With some further investigation I found that my rheostat was toast.  As I looked closer I found the source of the burning smell …  it was the small grey/violet wire on the rheostat.  Luckily, only burned a very small amount of the insulation.  So, removed rheostat and connected the 3 small wires together on the back of the center cluster, by-passing the reo completely.

Now, # 7 fuse was still popping.  This fuse, in addition to controlling the dash lights, also manages the front right and rear park lights.  I then removed my front headlight and unplugged.  Retested, and ….  Fuse #7 no longer was popping…

In removal of my right headlight, I noticed that the wire that connects to my right side parking light had come loose (bad solder connection).  I had installed 2 new wires, with billet connectors, recently as part of my new Euro headlight installation.  I made these 2 new wires in order to keep all my plugs original so that a future owner could re-install the US lights utilizing the original plugs.  One was not done right and came loose from the billet connector.  Redid the solder connection, reinstalled, and #7 fuse held.

So, I surmise that when this wire connection point came loose it was shorting out.  If the previous owner had not altered the wiring going to the headlight switch and to the Tach light, my #7 fuse would have blown in the beginning when the wire from the new Euro light to the right park light came loose.  Fuse performing as designed.  But, with the fact that the fuse was by-passed, the short tracked all the way to my rheostat and caused the wires on the rheo to heat up.  Luckily I turned off my lights quickly and no other damage occurred.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:14:55 by bpossel »

jeffc280sl

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 07:53:42 »
Nice detective work Bob.  If one problem or issue wasn't enough to solve add in a compounding problem and you can go crazy trying to resolve it.

We may never know why the PO bypassed fuse #7. As you know it takes a lot of work to remove the gauges and get to the light switch.  Why not do things correctly once this far into it?  What was this person thinking?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed