Author Topic: How often do you spot another Pagoda ?  (Read 506974 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Poll - how often do you spot another Pagoda ?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2003, 07:03:48 »
If I really tried, I could see another one every day (guy up the street here has one too!), but on average I'll see one or two a month "in the wild".

Classic car drivers typically wave at one another... although open top cars wave at open top cars, MB's will wave at one another. Some snooty old MG TD or E-type owners will not wave at a German car. I suppose they are too busy keeping all the bits from falling off!

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2003, 10:00:10 »
Well, I'm new here...an American living in France.  I have a 68 280SL *red* in Sarasota, Florida.  You asked this question at a great time.  I just came back yesterday from the Speyer SL birthday party, where we saw HUNDREDS of Pagodas!!!  I was in heaven!
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

France

• Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2003, 10:04:24 »
Oh, and Peter that's not fair what you say about E Type owners.  My other car is a red E type, and it's got all its bits...  People shout at my Pagoda in Sarasota all the time--they love to see it and ask all about it.  I see perhaps 2 a year there...

Trice
Trice
Austrian Alps

Douglas

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2003, 10:42:48 »
During the summer months out on the east end of Long Island (the so-called "Hamptons"), you see several Pagodas a day, particularly on weekends.

Owners are generally happy to acknowledge other Pagoda drivers, but waving between owners of dissimilar classic cars is not common. Definitely a "team sport" out there.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 10:45:53 by Douglas »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2003, 14:53:05 »
quote:
Oh, and Peter that's not fair what you say about E Type owners. My other car is a red E type, and it's got all its bits... People shout at my Pagoda in Sarasota all the time--they love to see it and ask all about it. I see perhaps 2 a year there...

Dear France,

I should have added a  :)  because you're right of course. Only with about half the E-types you see, do bits actually fall off. However, most drivers do wave here in Holland... I was just referring to the minority that don't.

But if I understand correctly, you have 2 classic cars, both in Florida, and you live in France? That must be grim...

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2003, 15:55:11 »
Peter - this coming Thursday I have a hunch there will be 3 Pagoda's in your street ...

Cees
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2003, 15:49:42 »
quote:
Peter - this coming Thursday I have a hunch there will be 3 Pagoda's in your street ...

Cees
That of course would mean you intend to bring yours! Great! Would you like me to call my neighbour (couple of streets up) round?

Peter

France

• Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2003, 05:35:30 »
No, Peter it's far from grim.  I am in Sarasota in fall, again at Christmas, and again at Easter, and I keep an 85 635CSi in France, plus my fiance has a De Tomaso, a Corvette, and a Ford GT40, all in France.  We are really car nuts.  We may enter the rally at the Eibsee in Bavaria next month!  The problem is which car to bring.  I am famous for waking up rude Germans by shouting Gruess Gott!! at them when they fail to say hello, so of course I always wave to old cars I like.  

Trice (alias France)
Trice
Austrian Alps

n/a

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2003, 09:08:59 »
There is this old woman I see on the days I drive to work at 5 or 5:30 am. I could be driving any kind of expensive or inexpensive car or truck. Ferrari, Aston Martins, BMW, Chevy, new Mercedes, and she doesn't look twice. If I am in the 71 280SL, she waves and smiles at me like crazy. She must have some unbelievable memory of this model of Mercedes. One of these days, I have to ask her about that.

Rudy
Los Angeles
1971 280 SL

n/a

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2003, 09:10:31 »
I forgot to add; Trice, I can't imagine the thrill of driving a GT40 through the French countryside at speed!

Rudy
Los Angeles
1971 280 SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2003, 09:59:50 »
Rudy - what kind of work do you do that has you driving to it at 5:00 AM?

This lady probably owned a Pagoda at some point. Or her lover did.

Come to think of it - there were almost 50,000 Pagoda's manufactured. About half are estimated to still exist today. Assuming the average length of ownership is, say, 10 years, then there are probably around 125,000 former owners that have fond memories of their Pagoda. Wonder how many more will come after us?
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2003, 15:57:46 »
quote:
Rudy wrote:  Ferrari, Aston Martins, BMW, Chevy, new Mercedes, and she doesn't look twice.
And
quote:
Cees asked: Rudy - what kind of work do you do that has you driving to it at 5:00 AM?

Cees has a wonderful way of asking irrelevant questions. More to the point:  
  • what kind of work do you do that you drive Ferrari's, Aston Martins or a Pagoda?
  • how old is that lady really?
:)
Peter

« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 16:03:44 by vanesp »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2003, 17:03:17 »
Everything is relative. I mean, if Rudy happens to be 25 years old, the older lady he is referring to might be your age, Peter! (and mine)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 17:03:58 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2003, 02:58:21 »
Just a word from Belgium here,

Apparently, there aren't many Pagoda's around here, I saw one plus a 190 SL a couple of weeks ago during a Classic Car Tour, but I saw about 422 last weekend in Speyer.

All of the Oldie owners wave to each other, even to the occasionally Dutch Classics we see here.

Willy, 230 SL 1967 - 220 SEb 1965

n/a

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2003, 07:10:56 »
I very rarely see another Pagoda. However, it is summer in Houston, so it is convertible weather for only the very serious.
An interesting observation: You can tell the people that have a love for MB's as a vehicle versus those that own them for status. MB lovers will wave or pull up and start a coversation. Last evening a woman pulled next to me at a traffic light and started a conversation. She was driving a 560SEC and said she has a 1971 280SL, and she seemed to be knowledgable about 113's. We talked about mechanics in the area and she knew the gentleman that I use. I really enjoy driving a car that is clearly different from everything else on the road.

Regards,
Stan

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2003, 13:46:53 »
Hey there. You know, I saw this thread last week and I was ready to reply "next to never." There are reportedly about 5 Pagodas in my neck of the woods (Nevada County, CA.) But in 5 years living here, I have only met one owner and maybe have seen one other. However ...

Three days ago an older gentleman (maybe 75+) pulled up to me at a stop light in a lovely red 280SL. His words were "I like your taste in cars..." What could I say? except same to you! Then, yesterday, I was scooting along and passed another beauty, a fantastic blue 280SL!! (hey DM)

I guess all I can say is I'm on a roll!!!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

dwilli3038

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2003, 20:08:53 »
Hello All,

I just returned from vacation. I flew to Ft. Lauderdale FLA, and then rented a car and drove the 200 miles to Key West. Drove around Key West than up through the Everglades and finally back to Ft. Lauderdale where I boarded a boat to Freeport Bahamas. I was all over the Grand Bahamas. Finaly back home. During this entire trip not one pogoda sighting.

My advice to all 113 lovers, for your next vacation boycott south Florida and avoid Freeport. Better to be in New York during a power failure where a Pagoda Lover can spot a good 113.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2003, 20:28:16 »
I was in Atlanta last week on bidness, and went up to Dahlonega, in northern Georgia, on Saturday morning to waste some time. While crossing the street, I saw the familiar front end of a Pagoda coming towards me. I instinctly put my hand over my heart, and the gentleman stopped. We chatted a few minutes while the car idled on the side of the street. It was a beautiful white 1968 280SL, and he lived in Athens, Georgia. He said there are a number of those cars there, and last summer, at a local meet, 132 of them showed up.
Joe

France

• Silver
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2003, 02:19:55 »
Joe, I don't know that many posters will understand your reference to bidness, but I enjoyed it.  Oh, the South...

Daryl, begging the question of why anyone would want to be in Florida-Bahamas during summer, this may be the reason you did not see many 113s.  Very few people want to drive their babies in the pouring hot rain.  I will be in Bahamas on Dec 1 and will look out for 113s when it's warm and dry.  After that you can spot me driving around Sarasota with the top down... and I do see several a month during the holidays.

Cheers,
Trice

The only difference between a caprice and a lifelong passion is that the caprice lasts a little longer...Oscar Wilde
Trice
Austrian Alps

Dick M

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2003, 09:01:28 »
James..
In addition to the five you know about there is another brown 280SL owned by a local winery.
The driver of the red Pagoda you mentioned is, I believe, 82 years of age and is original owner.  The car has more than 200K miles.
Thanks for the complement on the Blue 280SL you saw...
Dick
1970 280SL Blue
Nevada City, CA

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Hey there. You know, I saw this thread last week and I was ready to reply "next to never." There are reportedly about 5 Pagodas in my neck of the woods (Nevada County, CA.) But in 5 years living here, I have only met one owner and maybe have seen one other. However ...

Three days ago an older gentleman (maybe 75+) pulled up to me at a stop light in a lovely red 280SL. His words were "I like your taste in cars..." What could I say? except same to you! Then, yesterday, I was scooting along and passed another beauty, a fantastic blue 280SL!! (hey DM)

I guess all I can say is I'm on a roll!!!

James
63 230SL

dwilli3038

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2003, 15:23:08 »
Hello All,

Just back from a business trip to NJ. Drove aroung North New Jersey for a couple of days. Thursday night when I stepped out of my Seacaucus NJ Hotel, I heard a band playing, so I followed the sound to the nearby shopping plaza and then found a car show in the parking lot I would guess 40 to 50 cars, half of them Corvettes. 2 '57 TBirds and a 55T-Bird. Lots of Detroit Muscle cars, a couple of porsches and one young lady brought her 12 cylinder E-type Jag. But Alas no 113s or for that matter no Mercedes at all. Made me wish I had crossed the river and went into the city [NYC] and looked there.

I guess I need to buy equipment from a different part of the country.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

n/a

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2003, 09:37:25 »
I was told there are at least 5 in Singapore though I have seen only one other W113 in a classic car showroom. This was sitting next to a 190. Neither were in mint condition but that is the sad state of classic cars here, they are never well maintained.

Tim
1965 230SL
1965 Sunbeam Alpine Mk IV

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2003, 13:19:20 »
This year I saw a lot of Pagoda's. In the garage 2 under resauration, one parked near a house in Rijnsburg, a nearby village, a beautiful white 280sl. Just passing my front door a few weeks ago a less beautiful 230sl. I made the driver stop and he happened to live just three blocks further. Finaly 364 and more in Speyer on the 17th of august.
Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl

bayleif

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2003, 11:17:26 »
Just back from vacation. I saw 2 Pagodas (Pagodie?). One in Seattle, brown with a mostly brown interior. The dash had been redone in a lighter brown / tan cow hide looking stuff. The second was being raffled off by the Victoria B.C. Opera company as a fund raiser (shows that the Pagoda has class, in my neighborhood the volunteer fire company raffles off vintage Vettes). It was mostly a deep blue (not original, the dash was still white) and blue interior.

Chuck Bartlett
1969 Signal Red 4 Speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2003, 16:44:18 »
Chuck - I was in Victoria last year, and the Opera company then was raffling a green with tan interior Pagoda. I bought a couple of tickets, but of course no luck ...

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 16:45:58 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II