Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806497 times)

Witt

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2008, 04:10:14 »
In order to give new members an easy opportunity to introduce themselves (if they feel so inclined) here's a place to do so. Tell us whatever you consider interesting !   :)

Please don't use this forum for discussions, please stick to new member introductions. Discussions can be started here:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

If you want to add yourself to our Pagoda Frapper map, you can do so on our Home Page:
http://www.sl113.org/home.asp

Hi, I am Witt past member of the discontinued Pagoda 113 site. Do I introduce myself on this site all over again ( I don't mind ....) or will that information be transfered ? How about all the other reports I submitted to Pagoda 113 ?

Please advise.

CHEERS !
WITT !

psmith

« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2008, 06:41:12 »
Hi Witt,

Welcome to the site.  I think it's fair to say that our esteemed webmaster, Peter Van Es, is still recovering from the very recent transfer of this site and all the forums to new software and needs some time to recover.  Give us the lowdown on you and your car.  I think Peter and others are going to work on bringing all the good technical info over to the site, but it may take a little time.

Tonys113

« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2008, 23:09:04 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Hello Everyone,
I am new to both this site and to 113 cars. As a former muscle car madman, I really look forward to a more tame future with the '69 280SL I just purchased.
I have been fascinated by these 113 cars for some time now but had only dreamed of having one of my own. I recently purged several very quick cars from my stable and took full advantage of purging my wallet.

I am a 52 year old master electrician in Rochester (Snowchester) New York and own a small business consisting of 20 electricians. We are a full service merit shop specializing in commercial and industrial electrical contracting.
I am proudly married to my wife for 27 years and have (2) boys both in the electrical business and (1) grandchild I am spoiling as best I can.

I have just purchased my 280SL, 4 speed car, Silver Gray with Blue interior and as of this post have not laid my own eyes on it. It is scheduled to arrive at my home this Saturday. I am so excited I can hardly sleep in anticipation.

I look forward to researching and documenting my new car and many years of enjoyment.

Tony

Douglas

« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2008, 23:56:19 »
Tony,

Welcome and congrats. We've all had our share of sleepless nights in anticipation of a special Pagoda arriving in our lives, so your posting brings back some very pleasant memories that  fellow enthusiasts completely understand. How about sharing one of the photos of the beauty that I'm positive are sitting on your hard drive? I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are curious.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2008, 00:34:58 »
I continue to be surprised by the frequency at which people become new Pagoda owners. Is it just me thinking this? Is there something unusual about the "availability" of Pagodas compared to, say, other 40-50 year old cars?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2008, 02:13:12 »
I continue to be surprised by the frequency at which people become new Pagoda owners. Is it just me thinking this? Is there something unusual about the "availability" of Pagodas compared to, say, other 40-50 year old cars?

Nope, they all just come here  ;D
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Tonys113

« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2008, 02:48:02 »
Attached us a copy of the advertisement that I saw that made me chase after this car.
There are too many 40-50 year old cars out there today that your choices are endless. Only the limit of your imagination may keep you from finding something of interest in the condition you want.
I have rebuilt and hot-rodded several early chevy NOVA cars including complete rebuild of a 62 Convertible, only 45000 ever made. Also a 66 SS car that had every HOT performance part I could cram in a STOCK body. Low 12 second car. A few others not as note worthy. The availability of Direct Replacement Aftermarket Parts make some restorations or rebuilding fairly easy.

Having said that, that I think is the reason I now have a 113. A car that really only retains is value as STOCK car with OEM parts.

Looking forward to the challenge of I can do to a car like this before I have to depend on a MB Professional.

There are Web Sites like this one specializing in a SPECIFIC car for virtually every kind of car out there.

The internet is a wonderful thing. Just think of how you could have found people or parts with similar interests 40 years ago

abe280SL

« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2008, 14:40:09 »
Welcome Tony,
Hmmmm, evolution in progress.....muscle car to pagoda ;D. I remember when I first bought my car in 1990...no one to share my happiness with and no one to ask questions in case I ran into troubble.  Now...can't live without the internet.
Congrats,
abe

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2008, 21:08:30 »
Tony,

I too am a muscle car nut turned Mercedes nut. While I don't have a 113 and own a '68 111, these cars are so similar mechanically that I find this site invaluable. The expert advice and knowledge is really quite staggering. 

I am still restoring my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner and am refreshing my 111. I find differences in culture and philosophies between the two manufacturers most interesting. Also look at the availability of replacement parts. The factory still supports vintage Mercedes autos while the parts for American cars are almost all aftermarket.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Tonys113

« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2008, 23:21:36 »
 ;D
Thanks for the warm Welcome.
Just received a call from the carrier company and he plans to be here tomorrow, early evening. I am already starting to shake. ;)
AS I look around at the MB sites for Help, Parts, etc. I have gained a new respect for for the long term commitment of MB for all of there car series.
As Wallace indicated, you definitely CAN NOT go to you nearest Chevrolet Dealer and ask him for a part for a 60's, 70's or 80's car except maybe a starter and a spark plug.
However a quick search on the net can bring you in touch with so many parts that are far superior to the OEM materials that came with your car it makes me sick.

And to think those American Automakers want us to bail out their ignorance  and arrogance. :-[ :-[

Bring on the BENZ!!! ;D

Tony

Witt

« Reply #285 on: December 18, 2008, 22:09:44 »
Hi Witt,

Welcome to the site.  I think it's fair to say that our esteemed webmaster, Peter Van Es, is still recovering from the very recent transfer of this site and all the forums to new software and needs some time to recover.  Give us the lowdown on you and your car.  I think Peter and others are going to work on bringing all the good technical info over to the site, but it may take a little time.

Thank you for the wellcome, but I think I goofed......I typed a lengthy intro of my self and posted it under "What is your Profession"......well that's where it is if anyone is interested !

CHEERS !
WITT !

Mercedespartsjeff

« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2008, 18:21:01 »
Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I am new to the site. I have just purchased a 1965 230SL which needs some TLC. I also happen to work for Star Quality Parts of Maryland and SL Autohaus. I  have been married for 18 years to my wonderful wife Mia, who also works here with me.  We have three children, girl boy girl, 15,12,8. I plan on restoring this car to its original state and driving it. I want to keep it as a driver. I may not have as much time to spend here as I would like but I am glad there is a place to go for advice and discussion when I can. I would just like to say thanks in advance!!!

Jeff

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2008, 20:08:36 »
Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I am new to the site. I have just purchased a 1965 230SL which needs some TLC. I also happen to work for Star Quality Parts of Maryland and SL Autohaus. I  have been married for 18 years to my wonderful wife Mia, who also works here with me.  We have three children, girl boy girl, 15,12,8. I plan on restoring this car to its original state and driving it. I want to keep it as a driver. I may not have as much time to spend here as I would like but I am glad there is a place to go for advice and discussion when I can. I would just like to say thanks in advance!!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff.  You know me from the 190 SL Group, SLover.  I've spoken with you on the phone before.  Good luck with the Pagoda, good group of guys here to help.   Say hi to Max and Jason.

Be sure to check out the technical page and articles.  Post some pics.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Mercedespartsjeff

« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2008, 21:45:00 »
Hi John,

Nice to see you here. Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Jeff

SteveK

« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:34 »
Hi all, my name is Steve Katzman from Houston and I just picked up my slightly used 230SL.  Kind of a strange car, has a 67 title but is a 66 which somewhere down the line inherited a 280SL motor with an automatic transmission code. (My car is a 4 speed)    Lots of things to work on but it does appear to run OK.  (valves are a little noisey but other than that I can't see much else wrong with the engine yet)  I plan on getting it to top notch condition over the next year by going through each system step by step.   Just completed a 52 Chevy Pickup that I rebuilt from the ground up and over the years have rebuilt many.  I've also owned a number of Mercedes, my favorit was a 280C that I owned for 16 years and ran up 250K miles before I donated it away.  (Probably the best car I ever owned)  Been looking for something new to work on since September when I finished the truck and decided over Christmas that a Pagoda would be really fun.  I have an SUV and a truck, so it was time for a covertible and I always wanted a 230 but until recently a 2 seater just didn't make sense.  I love forums and I'm truly amazed at how technology has allowed us to connect around the world and help each other almost instantly.  I look forward to being part of this forum.  Right now I'll need lots of help, hopefully in the future I will be able to give some back!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2009, 10:36:43 »
Steve,

welcome, and we'd love to see some photographs of your project! Also, check out the Technical Manual and http://picasaweb.google.nl/mercedes280sl, a gallery of bpossel who's done an amazing all nuts and bolts restoration that will make your eyes water... authority has it that he's now started on adding some of that stuff to the Technical Manual. If you document your process I'm sure you will be contributor in no time too!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Fiams

« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2009, 16:40:48 »
Hi all, my name is Ben, and I have had a 66 230 sl for some years and a 280 sl for a year now.  I also have a cherished 190 sl and a member of the 190 sl group forum.  I live in Amherst, Mass. (90 miles west of Boston) and have always liked german cars since my dad bought his first mercedes car (190 C) when i was a kid.  I am a member of quite a few german car forums and I must say the level of expertise and information on this forum is excellent. I look forward to meeting some of you folks in the near future. 

Ben

Hath

« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2009, 19:07:59 »
Hi All,

My name is Lee Hathaway from Scottsdale, AZ.  Recently acquired a '69 280sl.  The odometer is stuck at 107k..it has a recent paint job and looks great.  So far the car runs great and I am having a lot of fun with it.  Some things that are in my future are replacing sub-frame mounts, some rust repair in front of rear wheels and cosmetic stuff like carpet, seats etc.  This forum has been fantastic to learn more about these cars and guide me through some of my projects.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2009, 23:32:36 »
Hi Lee,

Nice looking car. The engine bay looks great - not too fussy but with the original type material on the firewall, which is rare and special I think.

You'll find lots of info on the site on the subframe mounts.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

pagodewien

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:44 »
Hello to all

I joined the Forum yesterday and would like to introduce myself to all other forum members.

My name is Andy, I'm 43 years old married and father of 3 boys, and live in Austria on the border of Vienna. I run my one Company which is all about cutting and welding as well as automation.

Since I bought my Pagode 280SL 1968 about 1,5 years ago in the US.

While driving it the last summer, I now want to bring her back to her originally beauty and original colour (presently white) moosgreen.

I hope I can relay on the help of the fellow members for finishing this lovely work, and could share my experience on this job with everyone how is interested.

Thanks to Richard for his welcome mail,

best regards from Austria

Andy

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:10 »
And welcome from me too! Please post some pictures of the car!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

searcher

« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2009, 05:22:11 »
Hello All,

I am Jason Jones and a new member to this group and happy to be here.  I have a '69 280sl which I've owned since 1987.  In fact, it was the first car I ever bought with my own money.  It is papyrus white with dark blue MB TEX interior, a 4 speed transmission and was originally sold in Belgium. 

For a while it was my everyday driver but I let it fall into disrepair.  After several years of sitting in my garage (following a restoration project gone bad), it is now at a local restorer and starting to look really good.  I have always loved that car and am looking forward to having it back in good shape and driving it again.  I'll post some pictures soon.

I found this forum doing research for the restoration mentioned above and have already learned a ton from it.  I look forward to much future guidance.

Jason 

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2009, 11:41:56 »
Welcome! And post your experiences!

Peter

tbarrie

« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:27 »
Just wanted to say hi.  I have my grandfather's '66 230sl which I have dreamed about since i was 4 years old.  Just moved to North Carolina from San Diego and have had to use it as my daily driver.  I love the car but know that I mus find something else so i can finally restore my baby.  I am not too familiar with the car, it's only been mine for about 4 months.  If anyone can share some insight or helpful tips I would be eternally greatly. I believe that its the European model, 4 speed and the odometer is showing 82K but i am not sure how many times it has turned over.  To my knowledge there has never been any major work done to the car but I can see some pretty sever rusting ( it was in Rhode Island for about 30 years), and it doesnt like to go into gear above 2000 RPM.  Other than that the engine just has a real mechanical sound, lots of ticks and such.  As I said I am new to the car and could use some baseline info to judge the condition of my 230.  I will of course be going through the site and soaking up all I can.  Anyway thanks and I look forward to being a part of this site!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2009, 14:06:54 »
Hi tbarrie,

you may want to have a look at Bob Possel's photographs of his car (see the link on this page: http://www.sl113.org/index.php/othersites.html)

Also, check our Technical Manual http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php

Peter