Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806546 times)

dundee

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2006, 15:53:45 »
Dear Dick, Thanks for your suggestion about Gernold Nisius. I have heard of him but it is always good to get a reference.  I think that I am close to buying a 1969 280 SL and will keep the forum posted.
Best wishes,
Charlie
quote:
Originally posted by Dick M

Hi Dundee...
Welcome to the group... You'll get a lot of help here in your search for just the right car. There are also several well respected shops in New England area who can help.. such as Gernold Nisius near Portland Maine...which you may already know about.
http://www.sltechw113.com/
Good luck..

Dick M
1970 280SL

Ed Cave

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2006, 15:59:28 »
Charlie:

Another good source up there in your area is Alex Dearborn http://www.dearbornauto.com/

He usually has a few nice examples available.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

n/a

« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2006, 21:24:40 »
Hi to all! My name is Alex. Im from the philippines and i just recently purchased a 280SL at fairly good amount. I need help in restoring the car since I got it from a garage who dismantled it 5 years ago and no intentions of putting it back. Im pulling the car out but I need serious technical specs of bolt, nuts parts etc in order to bring it back to life. Please help since this is my 1st retoration project. Thank you and more success to the group.

Restoration discussion here:
http://index.php?topic=5419
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 14:01:06 by rwmastel »

n/a

« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2006, 02:58:30 »

Dear All,

My name is  nadav  polinski   and I live in bangkok,  thailand  for  15  years, ( I am originally from israel ). I've owned my silver 1964
230 SL for about 2 years. getting better plugged into the W113 community.
i  have more classic Mercedes,   450  sel  ( 116 )  
 and   240 d    ( 115 )
I hope everyone is enjoying the web site, we're glad you chose to belong to the W113 Pagoda SL Group.
Kind regards

nadav,  bangkok,  thailand
http://www.thaiclassiccar.com/webboard/index.php?s=2d4d5dcaa7145ee51050602dc122ce66&showforum=2

flacc

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2006, 08:52:15 »
Hi everyone....I finally made the plunge and bought my first W113.
Unfortunately it arrived with many more problems than anticipated, but I'll deal with them. At the very least it is completely rust free! Two major concerns....the car was previously retrofitted w/a  modern fuel pump...is this acceptable untill I resolve some of the other pressing mechanical issues, and (unbelievable) the under carriage was ripped on each side in transit by the tie downs. Any suggestions on repair...no picture at the moment as the car is at the shop.  Thanks in advance

christopher
1970 280sl
1985 300td wagon
199  e320 4matic wagon

n/a

« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2006, 11:13:46 »
Hello eveybody,

my name is Sergios and I live in Athens, Greece.  
I dot not own a pagoda but I am looking for one in order to restore it.
Can anybody make any suggestions as to what car (230, 280), manual or auto, overdrive if any, i should be looking for?

Also, are there any musts that i should look into before buying such a car?

If dashboard  parts and original wheel is mising, can they be found??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sergio

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2006, 11:42:29 »
Sergio,

Welcome!  These are good questions.  The "New member introduction" forum is mainly for introductions alone.  Please start a new thread under "General Discussion" and we'll answer all your questions.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2006, 07:38:31 »
Hello Everyone- My husband (Bill) and I (Kate) are the proud owners of a gorgeous  Siren Red '65 230 SL. About a year ago I mentioned that we needed to spice up our lives a bit and maybe consider buying a red convertible. I told him we didn't need anything fancy, maybe something with a little rust. Well, last February he showed up with this beautiful 230 SL, and he pointed out the tiny rust spot on it, (we'll get that fixed). We have three kids and finally for the first time last night were able to take the car out together (usually it's just one of us and one of the kids). We look forward to meeting you and appreciate this great forum! Thanks for having us!! kate and bill
USA

wbain

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2006, 01:40:38 »
HI all

I just bought a 1965 220S, I've had these before, and I'll be asking a few questions of the 230SL owners about various part availability, like rear brake components, kingpin restoration and the like. There are some upgrades I'd like to make as well but I won't get into that yet. I have the official paper service book that I bought many years ago, Passenger cars from 1959. The car's original engine overheated and blew the headgasket and a 230S engine was installed. It has a bottom end knock so I'll be cleaning up the 220S engine, fixing the head gasket and doing an inspection. I'm taking automotive classes at Northern Virginia Community College and they want me to teach the introductory course. I just finished the Brake class and will take the Electrical class. Maybe I can get some engine time as well, honing etc. If you'd car to take a look at it, check it out here:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=158770

Thanks

1965 220S, 1989 300SE, 2020 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceprot

steven0401

« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2006, 07:22:21 »
Hello All. This spring i bought my first SL. Late 71 280 SL 268 dark green w/ congnac leather - dark brown top. Traded a Porsche to Bob Hatch (Hatch & Sons). Last SL they restored. Interior and top redone by Gernold Nisius (SL Tech) beautifully. 62k miles. Car is currently in upstate NY, occasionally driven down to Manhattan (home) and will spend winters in Miami. Great car, terrific drive. I'm a little slow - just now learning what you have all known for much longer.

Steven
71 280SL
60 356B Roadster
73 911E/RS 2.9 Twin Plug
73 911T/3.6 Varioram
97 993 Turbo S
97 Defender 90
04 RangeRover
05 997 Carrera S
05 Mini Cooper S Werks Convertible
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:23:06 by steven0401 »

kbailey

« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2006, 15:39:23 »
I'm looking forward to sharing stories and specifics about the Pagodas.  I have a 1969 280 4 speed which I bought as the third owner in 1999.  I drive it every day in Dallas; rain, shine, wind, airport...what good is a car if you don't drive it?

As a kid, I saw these cars and never lost sight of them.  My first car was a 1953 Chevy Belair which I reconditioned.  I guess I got the bug.

I'm looking forward to hearing about events around Dallas, but I also expect to drive to northern New Mexico and various adjacent states routinely.  Please keep me posted for what's up in your neighborhood.  If I get crazy, I'd like to drive up to Maine in September/October to see the foliage...nothing like that with the top down!

I can share thoughts and ideas about most of the car's systems and what I've experienced.  When I finish, I will have been from one end to the other, with and without mechanics.  The only un-solicited recommendation I have is to find a Mercedez mechanic who worked on these in their youth...you will come out ahead in the long run but you will also enjoy knowlegeable solutions that can't be learned without years of campfire storytelling...and don't forget to keep good notes!

I also look forward to seeing pictures, pictures, pictures.

I wish you smooth shifting!

KBailey
69 280SL Cream
Black Interior
Dallas

n/a

« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2006, 04:16:46 »
Hi I am a new member today. I have owned my 280SL since 1979 but I have not driven it only.  I usually had 2 cars, and saved it for fun.I met an guy from the UK and ened up there so for about 8 years the car wasn't driven.  BAD I had a fuel line burst so I didn't fix the car until I found a mechanic who would come to the house which I did now I have fixed the fuel line, tune-up, fuel filter, complete brakes job but the right rear line is not working well....it did for a week or so the mechanic said it was not bleeding properly. now it is leaking, burning, smoking & smelling....I need help any suggestions  Thanks

al_lieffring

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2006, 14:26:26 »
Hey ya'll

I bought my first 230sl (euro) in 1974 for $1,500 I bondo-ed up the holes in the fenders, painted it black and drove it to high school. It was a fun car to drive and would blow the doors off 289 mustangs.
I sold it about a year later and found a rust free 66 (usa) in a salvage yard in Texas.
My father and I opened up a Benz repair shop in Kansas City and I specialized in 113 repairs and restorations. At that time the entire front clip (fenders, grill pannel, headlight buckets and cowl all welded together) was still available from Benz for about $500. the rear clip was also about the same price. But that was 30+ years ago, I havn't worked on Benzes for over 20 years now. But I still have the Blue 66 230sl that I dragged home from Texas.
My son has pulled the cover off and has cleared the corner of the garage out so "we" can work on it and he can drive it.
I havn't driven this car since I got married 25 years ago and It has deteriorated and now is in very poor condition. I paritaly disassenbled it over the years, thinking someday I would do a ground up rebuild, but now there isn'n enough left to warrant that kind of rebuild.
I live near Athens Georgia and no longer have any connection with any one that I had worked on Benzes with.

Any help in finding parst suppliers in tha Atlanta area would be appreciated.

Thanx
Al Lieffring

Ed Cave

« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2006, 16:50:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by al_lieffring

I live near Athens Georgia and no longer have any connection with any one that I had worked on Benzes with.

Any help in finding parst suppliers in tha Atlanta area would be appreciated.

Thanx
Al Lieffring

Al:

Other than the MB dealers, Buds Benz, is the only real supplier of Pagoda parts here in Atlanta. http://www.budsbenz.com/ They tend to be pretty expensive compared to others, depending on the part. They also do restoration, etc. There are many others domestically and around the world. Use the SEARCH feature on this site to find links to many others.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

kbailey

« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2006, 19:33:54 »
Where is the diving board for us newbies to get properly into a reply stream?  Seems like we're spanked for being interested and our first thing is we're looking for assistance...  Maybe we need an internal link.... :?
KBailey
69 280SL Cream
Black Interior
Dallas
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 19:40:50 by kbailey »

KevinC

« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2006, 13:46:57 »
You just need to register (see right hand side of page) and you are good to go! That's why the note says "you must be registered in order to post a reply"!

quote:
Originally posted by kbailey

Where is the diving board for us newbies to get properly into a reply stream?  Seems like we're spanked for being interested and our first thing is we're looking for assistance...  Maybe we need an internal link.... :?
KBailey
69 280SL Cream
Black Interior
Dallas

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

skamieniecki

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2006, 15:53:07 »
Hello all, my name is Steve and I just purchased a 1966 230sl 4 speed with 61,000 documented miles white with blue wheel covers, blue hard and soft tops and blue interior. The car is in wonderful condition not much to do but keep it in great shape and enjoy driving it. A data card was included and everything, options, colors, numbers all match the card. I know the cars' history from the first buyer to present, and have most receipts for services, many in German. The car was a Euoropean spec car sold to a woman in Germany new and was shipped to the US in 1977. At that time MB switched out the headlamp assemblies and replaced them with US spec lights, and the speedometer was switched to mph from kph, and these items were also included with the car. The car came with all original documentation, manuals etc, that I am still looking to translate. One interesting item that came with the car is a ski rack adaptor for use with the hardtop, it needs some replating, but is complete and could probably still be used today. I look forward to reading and getting information about these cars from the membership.

KevinC

« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2006, 17:10:56 »
WOW. What A find! Make sure to post photos when you can. Welcome aboard!  ;)

quote:
Originally posted by skamieniecki

Hello all, my name is Steve and I just purchased a 1966 230sl 4 speed with 61,000 documented miles white with blue wheel covers, blue hard and soft tops and blue interior. The car is in wonderful condition not much to do but keep it in great shape and enjoy driving it. A data card was included and everything, options, colors, numbers all match the card. I know the cars' history from the first buyer to present, and have most receipts for services, many in German. The car was a Euoropean spec car sold to a woman in Germany new and was shipped to the US in 1977. At that time MB switched out the headlamp assemblies and replaced them with US spec lights, and the speedometer was switched to mph from kph, and these items were also included with the car. The car came with all original documentation, manuals etc, that I am still looking to translate. One interesting item that came with the car is a ski rack adaptor for use with the hardtop, it needs some replating, but is complete and could probably still be used today. I look forward to reading and getting information about these cars from the membership.

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Douglas

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2006, 20:04:50 »
quote:

One interesting item that came with the car is a ski rack adaptor for use with the hardtop, it needs some replating, but is complete and could probably still be used today.

Steve,

Welcome! Sounds like a remarkable find. If I'm not mistaken, the cross bars of the ski rack are chromed, but the actual clips are not. Here's an example from the SL Tech website:

http://sltechw113.com/rare_280.htm

(Moderator: If this reply is inappropriate, please feel free to delete it.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 20:23:40 by Douglas »

skamieniecki

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2006, 09:18:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by KevinC

WOW. What A find! Make sure to post photos when you can. Welcome aboard!  ;)

quote:

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

skamieniecki

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2006, 09:27:38 »
You are correct the bars are chrome plated and there are eight rubber blocks that attach to the bars to hold the skis.

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

quote:

One interesting item that came with the car is a ski rack adaptor for use with the hardtop, it needs some replating, but is complete and could probably still be used today.

Steve,

Welcome! Sounds like a remarkable find. If I'm not mistaken, the cross bars of the ski rack are chromed, but the actual clips are not. Here's an example from the SL Tech website:

http://sltechw113.com/rare_280.htm

(Moderator: If this reply is inappropriate, please feel free to delete it.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

andkrist

« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2006, 13:52:50 »
Hi

I just bought an 1970 280 SL withe with green interior. the car is an US version. sold in January 1970 by Bill Ussery motors in Florida, the car had one female ovner until 1989 when it was sold to Sweden and given a full body restoration. im now the tird owner of the car and looking forward to make it ewen better mechanicaly.  8)

Anders K
Sandefjord
Norway

280 sl 1970 us modell
Withe with green interior

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2006, 00:10:41 »
A lot of newbies around at the moment

which is great!!! welcome.

And get yer names down on the Frappt map (home page has a linky....) ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

n/a

« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2006, 12:20:37 »
Hello, after a few problems,let me introduce my car to all of you. It is a 280sl auto 11/69
Number: 1130 44 12 014260. Maybe someone knows something about its history. I Bought it in Sevilla, but comes from the US a few years ago.
Thanks
Luis

Download Attachment: IMG_16640k.jpg
55.38 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1663ok.jpg
53.26 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1666ok.jpg
51.56 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1672ok.jpg
53.5 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1679ok.jpg
61.64 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1684ok.jpg
51.22 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1694ok.jpg
51.5 KB

280sl ´70, 190sl ´58, 600sl´05

KevinC

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2006, 08:45:03 »
Luis,

Welcome to the group. I would suspect that due to the euro headlights and the "automatic" designation on the rear deck lid, it was not a US car to begin with. Try searching "data card" or "datacard" on this site to try to find out more about how your car began its life.

Congratulations!

Kevin

quote:
Originally posted by luisSLmadrid

Hello, after a few problems,let me introduce my car to all of you. It is a 280sl auto 11/69
Number: 1130 44 12 014260. Maybe someone knows something about its history. I Bought it in Sevilla, but comes from the US a few years ago.
Thanks
Luis

Download Attachment: IMG_16640k.jpg
55.38 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1663ok.jpg
53.26 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1666ok.jpg
51.56 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1672ok.jpg
53.5 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_1679ok.jpg
61.64 KB