Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806534 times)

n/a

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2005, 23:38:18 »
Another newbie here.
 I also have been haunting this forum for a week or two. I'm considering a 64 230SL. I am really having trouble accepting some rust issues with this one. A so-so restore was done about 16 years ago. The front passenger floor pan has one rusted through point which should easily be overlooked at this price point of probably $7500 as I know the owner. Hard and soft tops.
  Lots of undercoating on the the tops and bottoms of the floor pans makes it very difficult to determine the extent of the rust. I have researched replacement floor panels etc. I do not weld and have no idea of labor cost for pan replacements. Gearbox is sloppy, engine has a very faint knock...piston slap ?
  I just cannot decide yet. Someone give me a big push ! Based on the prices SL rust buckets fetch on EBay etc. it seems like a worthy investment. Some links to pics here: Comments ? Please and thank you
Carl
Seattle WA

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl4.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl6.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl7.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl8.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl9.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl10.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl11.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl12.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/alotawatts/sl13.jpg

fda71mb

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2005, 09:30:26 »
i took a look at the pictures
rust is an expensive problem, add mechanical issues.
for $7,500 plus rust and engine repair
it will be cheaper to spend $20,000 on
a rust free, properly maintained car
believe me, i've been there

Douglas

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2005, 09:48:39 »
Pix numbered SL3 and SL10 are alarming to me. I'm guessing there's also inner fender rust on that car. Take a look at that photo of the driver-side fender. Looks like there's rust in that lip that runs along with the perimeter of the engine bay. If that's the case, then you can pretty much assume that's the tip of the iceberg.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 09:51:25 by Douglas »

fda71mb

« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2005, 10:10:59 »
hello all

i have learned a great deal from all of you during the last year.
i am the proud owner of two wonderful 1971 280sl's, one black & one silver. the black one i bought over ten years ago from charles bronson in california. it was rust free, fast and had a damaged interior. i spent a lot of money maintaining the car as i drove between several states. when i moved out of nyc, i bought a silver, beautifully maintained, rust free car. attached is a picture of my silver.

fda71mb
1971 280sl black
1971 280sl silver

Download Attachment: silver7.jpg
81.05 KB
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 21:04:58 by fda71mb »

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2006, 10:57:18 »
Hello,

I am writing as a new member, having just purchased a 1968 250SL from Tigard, OR.  It's an all orignal with 133K miles.  I purchased it from the second owner, who's owned it for 30 years.  All the records since new are included, along with manuals, warranty card, etc.  I found it on www.oursl.com (dark green under "250SL").  I flew out to Portland on 12/30 to make sure it lived up to the owners description.  

I have owned several vintage cars in the past but sold my last (1956 Lincoln Premiere Coupe) in 2003.  I thought I was cured of this hobby but decided a "Pagoda" would make a nice Christmas present from me to me!   50's Lincoln parts are so rare -- Restoring a Pagoda seems like a dream because most parts are available.  Finding competent people to work on vintage cars was always a challange to me. I now have Autobenz in Marietta, GA.  The owner has a 230SL as well. He has seviced my 300SD and S320 LW for years.    

This time around I don't want to go for a 97 point "show boat", but would rather aim for the low 90's and drive the car w/o worry.  I got very caught up in the Lincoln club fussyness and it took the fun out of the hobby.  People spent more time picking at very minor flaws than enjoying the car!  Don't get me wrong...I admire 100 point cars and am very particular about authenticity!  However, I find that every point above 95 cost around 10k to achieve!

The 250SL is completely rust free, as it has only been driven in nice weather and always garaged.  That was my primary concern, along with authenticity.  I spent a lot of time on this site and others to find out what to check for.The original paint is very nice.  The chrome is completely pit free (it appears as if it's been redone and it hasn't).  Portland's lack of sun and heat has kept all the rubber and interior parts looking new!   Now for the bad news!  The car has only had 2k miles put on it since 1980!  The oil has been changed once a year and been driven on occasion.  But the right rear caliper leaks, as does the brake reservoir.  It is on the way to my home in Atlanta, GA (East Atlanta Village) in an enclosed trailer.  I will spend the winter replacing or rebuilding the calipers, replace the hoses, etc.  Everything works except for the clock and radio (Becker).  I will replace all fluids and filters, tune up, etc.  I really wish I could get an original firewall pad (maybe I will win to lotto!)  

I am excited about this car and being an active reader on this website.  I will have many questions!!!  I am real active on photography websites, as I have a strong interest in vintage cameras.  I work for Lockheed Martin in Marietta as a Procurement Agent.  I have three dogs (two sister Whippets and a female Sheltie).  No wife to nag me.   That's about it...thanks for listening.  

Regards,  

J. P. Mose
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

keesing

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2006, 18:32:30 »
I WANT A PAGODA... I've been bitten by that pesky Pagoda bug, and won't be happy until I am one of you! I really want a 1967 230 SL... obviously, original, restored or in great shape, NO RUST, and of course under $20,000.

I LOVE THIS SITE - GOT ME HOOKED!
John :D
Santa Fe

n/a

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2006, 14:23:48 »
Hi, I ahve always been a keen fan of the SL Pagoda series and I am now seriously considering buying a car. My ideal purchse is a car which is mechanically sound whicc I intend to restore in over a 3 to 5 year project. I am planning to start viewing cars now, probaly viewing a 1965 230 sl this weekend.

I would however appreciate some tips in finding the right car. What should I look out for? What should questions should I ask? Where should I look for rust? What are the aspects that cost a lot to repair? What should I listen for when the car runs of should I take it for test drive? If paintwork is bad an need repainting, does it significantly affect the value at the end of a restoration project relative to cars in original paint?

Please let me know your thoughts; it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2006, 13:33:43 »
Use the search feature and limit to "car evaluate" and General Discussion, I only got one page of hits, but several of those messages had links to more specific items. There are a lot of good pointers on the site, so this should get you well started.
Good luck.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

n/a

« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2006, 00:58:10 »
Hi All,

Sorry for the double post (I posted this under General Discussion as well) still getting use to these discussion groups!

I have long been a Pagoda enthusiast but am a neophyte when it comes to any real Pagoda knowledge. I'm just beginning my quest for a car & would greatly appreciate any advice you may have in regards to purchasing on of these cars.

Thanks! :oops:

n/a

« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2006, 09:22:35 »
Hello, my name is Khalil and I recently purchase a parking garage in Chicago and to my suprise it had a 1968-1970 280SL in very good condition and 99% rust free. It has been there for as long as people can remember (over 10 years with ut being started or driven). Its been covered and indoors, how can I get information on its history? How much would it take to restore the engine? If I sold as is what is its fair market value. Thanks, Khalil

Khalil Shalabi

Chad

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2006, 16:31:31 »
Again, as mentioned before the posting was deleted... you may want to identify who owns this car before you figure out it's "fair" market value in order to sell it.

quote:
Originally posted by KhalilShalabi

Hello, my name is Khalil and I recently purchase a parking garage in Chicago and to my suprise it had a 1968-1970 280SL in very good condition and 99% rust free. It has been there for as long as people can remember (over 10 years with ut being started or driven). Its been covered and indoors, how can I get information on its history? How much would it take to restore the engine? If I sold as is what is its fair market value. Thanks, Khalil

Khalil Shalabi

Chad

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2006, 19:33:59 »
Go to the police and not the lawyer is the only advice I would give.
Lien is not the right and civil thing to do.

The VIN will track and light up if's it's stolen, find out about it before you try to sell it - the buyer will track it to you.

This isn't about the car, a w113, it's about finding something that clearly is missing from someone. To many, nothing's more satisfying than doing the right thing.

Buyer (and owners) beware.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 21:11:31 by Chad »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2006, 23:02:06 »
Hello Kahlil,

The Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles will be able to help you. You will need to talk to someone about an abandoned vehicle application.

As a person in the business of renting storage space, you have the right to hold but not to own the car until you are compensated for what is due you. You must go through a process to identify the rightful owner of the car before you can take any ownership measures. The Department of Motor vehicles will supply you with the last registered owners name and address when you inform them that you have an abandoned vehicle and that you are in an auto related business. You are required by law to contact the owner by registered mail and resolve any storage charges if possible.

You have a right to hold the car until your compensation for providing storage or related services, are resolved. No formal lean is required by law to be filed. It is automatic as long as the automobile is in your possession.

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles will do a search on the Vin. number to find the rightful owner and make sure the car was not stolen. They will supply you with this information so you can attempt to notify the rightful owner.

It will be your responsibility to make every attempt to notify the owner. The Department of Motor Vehicles will not notify the owner for you it is your responsibility and you must keep proof of your attempts (registered mail etc).

If you do not follow the procedure you can be held responsible for the car if the original owner appears some day.

If the effort to notify the owner proves fruitless you will be able to file for a legal title on the car after a specified waiting period. Some states may require the business owner to make some kind of payment if the cost of the storage service is less than the blue book value of the car. Most often years of storage can amount to more than the value of an automobile in non-running and unknown mechanical condition. The "Abandoned Vehicle" application fee is usually only a few dollars.

The laws are designed to protect the owner and the business person providing a service. I suspect that the laws in different states vary a bit but should be somewhat similar. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state for all the details. Have the cars Vin. number and any old license plate number ready before calling.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 23:18:40 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Douglas

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2006, 23:37:30 »
All of this reminds me of this news story from a couple weeks back:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10890430/from/RSS/

n/a

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2006, 08:55:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello Kahlil,

The Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles will be able to help you. You will need to talk to someone about an abandoned vehicle application.

As a person in the business of renting storage space, you have the right to hold but not to own the car until you are compensated for what is due you. You must go through a process to identify the rightful owner of the car before you can take any ownership measures. The Department of Motor vehicles will supply you with the last registered owners name and address when you inform them that you have an abandoned vehicle and that you are in an auto related business. You are required by law to contact the owner by registered mail and resolve any storage charges if possible.

You have a right to hold the car until your compensation for providing storage or related services, are resolved. No formal lean is required by law to be filed. It is automatic as long as the automobile is in your possession.

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles will do a search on the Vin. number to find the rightful owner and make sure the car was not stolen. They will supply you with this information so you can attempt to notify the rightful owner.

It will be your responsibility to make every attempt to notify the owner. The Department of Motor Vehicles will not notify the owner for you it is your responsibility and you must keep proof of your attempts (registered mail etc).

If you do not follow the procedure you can be held responsible for the car if the original owner appears some day.

If the effort to notify the owner proves fruitless you will be able to file for a legal title on the car after a specified waiting period. Some states may require the business owner to make some kind of payment if the cost of the storage service is less than the blue book value of the car. Most often years of storage can amount to more than the value of an automobile in non-running and unknown mechanical condition. The "Abandoned Vehicle" application fee is usually only a few dollars.

The laws are designed to protect the owner and the business person providing a service. I suspect that the laws in different states vary a bit but should be somewhat similar. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state for all the details. Have the cars Vin. number and any old license plate number ready before calling.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

Khalil Shalabi

n/a

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2006, 09:01:24 »
Thanks Joe,
I have a company that's doing that for me. They will give the VIN to the police to make sure the car is not stolen, then find out who the owner is and make every effort to contact them or their estate to give them an oppurtunity to pay the fee, then if they don't respond they will get me the title to it. I have also spoken to a restorer here in Illinois who has experience in restoring it for me when it seems that I will be getting it.

Khalil Shalabi

n/a

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2006, 19:06:50 »
I think I’m the newest of the new guys on the site.  Just joined a couple of hours ago to get some advice on injectors and already have great info to act on!  I have a ’64 230 SL and am in an extended renovation.  My dad bought the car when I was 5 and we started the rebuild when I was 16 (had to, seeing that I backed in to the hard top and left two huge gouges from the tail pipes!)  I inherited the car about 10 years ago and have had the body and paint totally redone as well as dropped in a new long block.  Finally in the home stretch with new carpet going inside and finishing up the some fuel related issues.  It’s definitely been a love hate relationship, but only hate when it comes time to pay off the credit card.  I figure another ten year of work on it and it’s going to be my retirement car!

n/a

« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2006, 22:42:07 »
Hi all. I just received today my 1963 230 SL.  I have wanted an old car for as long as I can remember and found this one.  I am really at a loss between joy and fear...I found this site and started reading and I think you all will be able to help me. Here's what I know so far- the car is white with blue interior.  It is all original inside (radio works, clock, etc.)  I haven't gotton to take the top off yet to see what shape the soft top is in or what color it is.  I do know that the car seems LOUD.  It seemed to run ok when I drove it home from the transport company near Los Angeles except I had a terrible time releasing the emergency brake and of all days for it to rain in sunny California it poured--I also found out I sprung many leaks! I am going to take it to a MB repair shop tomorrow to have it checked out and I'll let you know what information I'll need from you.  My car has funny looking round headlights on it...what's up with those.  The only think I know about the car is that it possibly european and was #244 in production.

Zach

« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2006, 13:20:23 »
My 1966 230SL Euro was originally owned by a German doctor in Ohio - apparently a grey-market car.  It was sold to a man who repainted it around 1988 but then ran into financial trouble.  He sold it to my father-in-law and at the time was considered one of the best (unrestored original) 113's in the midwest.  Before he died, my father-in-law gave the car to my brother-in-law in 1995, and he drove it only about 25 miles per year.  It became a headache for him to store and maintain, so he offered it to me when he recently retired. Of course, knowing the car and its fine condition, I jumped at the chance to buy it.

The SL is white with a black MB-tex interior, with a white hardtop, 4 speed manual, and its original black soft top (with minor rough spots).  It has European headlights, 111k KM on the odo (appr. 65k original miles), no headrests or seatbelts.  The car looks and sounds great for 40 years old.  It has new tires, brakes and steering.  The exhaust note with the top down, running through the gears is music to my ears and I can't get enough of it.

I only drive it when the sun is shining and the weather is warm, with the top down preferably. Despite nonworking clock, radio, windshield washer, right directional signal stop, sunvisor, weatherstripping, gascap) the car is in great shape, although I can see a couple of rust spots developing under the paint behind the left rear wheelwell.

I look forward to getting to know many of my fellow SL owners throughout this Group.

Z
66 230SL Euro 4spd

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2006, 13:45:37 »
Welcome Zach and Marti?. You will find lots of good info here. I find your descriptions interesting: Z has a pretty good grasp of his car's history, while DM's seems a little more mysterious. Both are pretty common around here.

DougMarti - I would bet yours has a blue soft-top under there, and I can tell you that at 244 you have one of the earliest specimens among us. As time goes by, you will start to undertand what that means. If its a european model, your speedometer is in Kilometers not miles. So if you look up and are doing 110, its probably a Euro. Good luck.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Rhodrich

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2006, 04:38:53 »
Hello!

My name's Rhodri Richards (hence the username), and I live in London, UK (well, Kingston upon Thames to be precise, but I doubt many of you from around the world will have heard of that!)

I don't currently have a Pagoda.  In fact the closest I've got to one is to test drive a 230SL last weekend, but I'm on the lookout for a 230SL in decent condition.  I'm very much in newbie territory when it comes to Mercedes, but have been very active in VW circles for the last 10 years or so.  Now is the time to upgrade from a 1964 'Razoredge' Karmann Ghia that I've had for the past 5 years to something a little bit more luxurious!  I'll keep the 1964 VW Beetle that I've had for the last 10 years as my regular 5 seater car.

Thanks for making me feel welcome already  :)

Rhodri

Ian45

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2006, 07:37:35 »
My name is Ian Wheatley. I live in Derby, England. Having visited the US on a few occasions and explained to people where I am from, I am aware that most of you have never heard of Derby. So, roughly speaking, it's right in the centre of England and is about as far away from the coast as you can get in the UK (around 90 miles). We are around 35 miles from Birmingham and 15 miles from Nottingham. In the north of the county of Derbyshire, we have the Peak District National Park.

I have owned my 1967 250 SL for 3 years. It is white with white hardtop and red tex interior. It is an automatic and is pre-face lift, i.e. it has the early style door mirrors, door fittings and hub caps. It's very much a summer Sunday car and is used mainly for classic car events, including those held by the Mercedes Benz Club UK.

There are very few Pagodas in my area. At local car events, mine is usually the only one and attracts a great deal of attention. What I like about the Pagoda is the way it appears to be wide and sits low to the ground. I needed new sills on my car and was asked whether I wanted them painting black or in the body colour - white. At first I thought white, but then realised that they are done in black in order to preserve the illusion of the low squat bodywork. So I went for black, glad I did now.

I've joined this club because it is totally dedicated to the Pagoda. The Mercedes Benz Club UK is great but covers the entire range, so there isn't enough Pagoda talk.

Ian
1967 250SL
Derby,England

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2006, 05:49:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian45

My name is Ian Wheatley. I live in Derby, England. Having visited the US on a few occasions and explained to people where I am from, I am aware that most of you have never heard of Derby. So, roughly speaking, it's right in the centre of England and is about as far away from the coast as you can get in the UK (around 90 miles). We are around 35 miles from Birmingham and 15 miles from Nottingham. In the north of the county of Derbyshire, we have the Peak District National Park.

I have owned my 1967 250 SL for 3 years. It is white with white hardtop and red tex interior. It is an automatic and is pre-face lift, i.e. it has the early style door mirrors, door fittings and hub caps. It's very much a summer Sunday car and is used mainly for classic car events, including those held by the Mercedes Benz Club UK.

There are very few Pagodas in my area. At local car events, mine is usually the only one and attracts a great deal of attention. What I like about the Pagoda is the way it appears to be wide and sits low to the ground. I needed new sills on my car and was asked whether I wanted them painting black or in the body colour - white. At first I thought white, but then realised that they are done in black in order to preserve the illusion of the low squat bodywork. So I went for black, glad I did now.

I've joined this club because it is totally dedicated to the Pagoda. The Mercedes Benz Club UK is great but covers the entire range, so there isn't enough Pagoda talk.

Ian
1967 250SL
Derby,England

Hello Ian,
Welcome to the most friendly and generous group of people of the internet car world.
You will find that we rarely if ever discuss anything other than Pagoda cars.
I too find my local MB club short on Pagoda discussions.
The search function of this site will provide you with many responses because most topics have been discussed by the group.
Post your question/s on any topic related to the car, that you do not find an answer for.
Please include your VIN, year, options this will help us respond specifically to your model.
Also there are some databases available on the welcome page that are worth looking through.
Again, welcome

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

dundee

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2006, 13:20:37 »
Dear All,

My name is Charlie Grant and I live in Boston, (although I am originally from Australia, hence my log name). I joined this forum as a way of getting better plugged into the W113 community. I have lusted after W113's since I was a small boy but have never owned one.  However, I believe that my time has come, and I have been looking for a W113 for about six months.  In that time, I have looked seriously at buying a couple of pagoda's, but have not proceeded due to poor inspection results (both had poorly repaired frames).  I am currently interested in a 1968 250SL that is for sale in Miami.  Does anyone know a good SL mechanic in the Miami area that would do an inspection?  Also, in case this one falls through, let me know if you hear of any solid W113's (probably prefer 250SL or 280SL) that come on the market.  I appreciate any help.  Best wishes.

Dick M

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2006, 09:06:51 »
Hi Dundee...
Welcome to the group... You'll get a lot of help here in your search for just the right car. There are also several well respected shops in New England area who can help.. such as Gernold Nisius near Portland Maine...which you may already know about.
http://www.sltechw113.com/
Good luck..

Dick M
1970 280SL