Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 807108 times)

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2004, 13:38:07 »
LjH,

A fully restored XK150S is quite a nice automobile.  I understand the pricing better now-thanks

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

n/a

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2004, 10:17:06 »
Fellow 113 Lovers,

I'm brand new to this forum, but not new to 113's.  I owned a 1969 "California Coupe" for a number of years and was a member of MBCA during that time.  I moved back to my native Texas from Santa Barbara, Ca. in 1995 and found the MB, sans A/C, wasn't very practical in the hot Texas summers, so I got a second car for everyday use.  After a couple of years of having one of our three cars (of course not the 113) parked outside of our two car garage, I allowed my wife to use my MB as a trade in on a 300 SL.  Every time thereafter that I saw a 113 on the road, I had regrets for having sacrificed mine.

Recently, the nostalgia due to fond thoughts of 113's finally got to me, I bit the bullet and bought a 1971 280 SL.  Once I've made better acquaintenance with my new love, I'll describe her better (Is it OK here to refer to one's 113 as a feminine entity?)  For now all I'll say is the she's white.

Personally, I'm a mechanical engineer by education and practice.  I retired early, last Summer, in order to build a major addition on our home which by odd coincidence is much more classic car friendly.  The new addition will also have space for my two other serious hobbys.  One is motorcycles, I have three, and the other is high quality air rifles, I have more than a hundred.  Those two hobbys have been with me for most of my life.  The other hobby that consumed me was flying.  I owned an airplane for over twenty years and flew coast to coast in the USA, and Canada to Costa Rica and many places in between.  I sold the airplane almost two years ago as I wasn't flying enough to feel comfortable, especially in instrument conditions.  I miss having that "magic carpet", but think my new, to me, 113 might be a fine substitute.  Instead of heading to Oskosh, Wisconsin for the annual airshow there, I look forward to attending MB events.

The above is more than you probably want to know about me so I'll confine my future comments to 113's.  I'm a veteran of airgun and motorcycle forums and know brevity is usually appreciated.  

I'm glad to be aboard your group.

chasm

Ed Cave

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2004, 20:53:13 »
So she is a sexy, single, white, 34 year old German girl with a removable top? Please post some photos at your first convenience!

Welcome to the Group, Chasm. You have found a great bunch of Pagoda lovers.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 20:53:50 by Ed Cave »

n/a

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2004, 22:15:29 »
Ed,

Thanks for the response.  As often happens, I've discovered that my new 33 year old, white, German girlfriend, may not be all she seems.  On checking out her data sheet, it seems like she might be hiding some of her checkered past.  She may not be as virginal as I had hoped.  Oh well, neither am I.

I'm willing to forgive and forget, if she is.  If she looks good on the surface, I'll be happy to show her around.  And to heck with those who want to disparage her past history.

chasm

P.S.  She is a 703 delivery code, "American Virgin Islands".  
Talk about false advertising!.  cm

chasm

Eryck

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2004, 00:38:51 »
Thanks for the opportunities guys. I am brand new to the W113 (although I've read about them for a while).

Just bought a 65 230sl here in Hong Kong last weekend.  Not too many of them around here but fortunately found one decent one.  Will need a lot of work but it's an honest car.

Took half an hour to reverse the thing out of the seller's yard (not used to no power steering and the clutch). Drove all the way back with the hand brake on but it was a fun experience.  Also had to really rush home because we (a friend also went along) couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights! (My wife figured it out later).  

Anyway, I will be seeking a lot of advice from you experts since I don't know any Pagoda owners here in HK.  Won't be easy restoring it since there are some few of them here so I will need all the advice I can get.  Thanks for this great website.

n/a

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2004, 08:08:09 »
Hello all I too am new to the forum just purchasing a restoration project car.  67 250sl with no engine.  If my wife doesn't divorce me it will be a miracle.  I will need much help as I am a back yard mechanic with ltd. knowledge of the sl.  All advice is welcome.  I need immediatley if anyone has access is some sort of wiring schematic color coding the wires since the person who disassembled the car didn't label any thing.  Thanks D

darryl

n/a

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:40 »
Hello all,
I am Alain from Geneva, Switzerland. I am new to this forum and relatively new to W113s, as I bought my car about one year ago.
I love old cars and motorcycles. My last vintage car was a Triumph TR 250 but I wanted more confort for my old 43 years old bones.
I have found a '68 280 SL in very good original condition, with 122.000 documented kilometers on the clock. I am the fourth owner. The body color is light blue metallic 906, the interior is navy blue leather. It has power steering, 4 speed gearchange, a Becker Europa radio. I have had 3 points inertia seatbelts and a righthand side rearview mirror recently installed.
I am very happy with it as it runs well but needs new suspension bushings. I must treat the leather which is a bit dry whith some patina.
I use the services of a independant mechanic who knows well old MBs. He told me the car is in very good condition, even in non visible places.
It will be nice to have technical chats here, as you guys in this forum seems to know your subject.
I attach a picture of my car shooted during a run last summer. Best regards. Alain.

Download Attachment: Copie2 280 SL.jpg
65.4 KB

alain

Vince Canepa

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2005, 07:43:36 »
I bought my car from Stahl Motor Company in Monterey, California December of 1971.  It had 29,000 miles on it then; now has 146,000.  Very near original.  Anything worked on has been done to original finishes, etc.  We have been members of MBCA since 9/73.  The car has won a few shows over the years.  I have done almost everything the car needed.  I'm a Marine Engineer.  I spent 23 years at sea, 15 as Chief Engineer on US flag steam and diesel merchant ships.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

n/a

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2005, 11:09:40 »
Greetings, Gentlemen.  

My name is Jim Hunter, from Ottawa Canada. I am a new member of the forum as of yesterday, and a new MB owner as well, having bought my 1970 280SL "California" model at the end of November as a 65th birthday present to myself.  I have wanted an SL ever since they were new.  My 280SL is the dark green colour, and is in absolutely immaculate condition with 89K km.  I hope to install a convertible top on it eventually, and will probably have a lot of questions once I start the installation in earnest.  

My other hobby is the restoration of vintage motorcycles, British and European.  Current machines are: 1950 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe, 1954 Ariel Huntmaster 650, 1956 Ariel HT5, 1957 Ariel Square Four, 1959 BSA Catalina Gold Star, and a 1967 BMW R-60.  My modern bike is a 2001 Honda ST1100.  I am currently restoring a 1934 Ariel Red Hunter 500 and a 1956 Ariel Square Four for friends of mine.  Incidentally, if anyone has similar machines or questions, please feel free to contact me.

After 47 years of motorcycling, I bought the Benz because I needed a change.  This car has always been the car of my dreams.  I won't take delivery of the car until April, as the dealer offered free storage in his showroom until April, when I will bring it home.  I only got to put about 20 miles on it before it went into storage, and the wait until April is killing me. I don't have any photos yet, but will post one later this spring.

As far as my professional background, I retired from the Royal Canadian Airforce as a Chief Warrant Officer after 31 years, and on retirement; went with General Electric Aircraft Engines as a Field Service Rep for a further 12 years until I retired in 1999.

I have been lurking on this group for a couple of months now, and have noticed how friendly and helpful the members seem to be.  That's my kind of group, and thats why I decided to join.

Best Regards,

Jim Hunter, Ottawa Canada  

quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

In order to give new members an easy opportunity to introduce themselves (if they feel so inclined) here's a place to do so. Tell us whatever you consider interesting !   :)

JLHunter

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2005, 14:11:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim

I have been lurking on this group for a couple of months now, and have noticed how friendly and helpful the members seem to be.  That's my kind of group, and thats why I decided to join.

I completely agree with you.  Welcome to the Group!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

KevinC

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2005, 13:00:00 »
My name is Kevin and am in Boca Raton, FL. After owning a '73 280 C in the '80s and a couple of 190 E's in the 90's, I decided to go for a 113 due to the classic appearence and availability of (some) well-cared for used vehicles and parts. My Light Ivory (670) '67 230 SL arrived on 1/10 from Napa CA where it had been very well maintained. The car has 132k on the chassis but only 14k since a complete engine rebuild. I am working out some interior (113 Brown) cosmetic issues now and will post photos when presentable. Hope to not over-burden you with newbie questions.

Now can anyone float a loan so I can buy some sunvisors?

KevinC - Boca Raton FL (74 and rainy today, but 82 and sunny earlier this week!)

Ion

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2005, 17:57:53 »
Greetings to all

My name is Ion Mitchell and I live in Twickenham, England (a suburb of London).  I moved here from Los Angeles in 1988 with the intention of staying for only three years.  17 years later I'm still here, having married to a Scot and acquired dual nationality.  The only problem is that I left my original girlfriend, my brown-eyed 280SL, in Los Angeles in a dusty warehouse, thinking I wouldn't be gone for very long.  After a while I missed having her around. I was her second owner and worked hard to have her restored.

So last November I decided to bite the bullet and have the car shipped to London.  There were some minor modifications to conform to UK regulations, but she is now a legitimate resident of Britain.  It's great to have her back in my driveway, but she does look a bit rough after multiple mechanics worked on her to keep her ticking over (its a long story).  So I had decided to try and repair her as best I can

That's when I discovered this excellent forum.  After lurking a few days and searching for some missing bits (sun visors, gas/petrol caps, touchup paint, steering bushings,etc) I decided to join in.  There's no time to waste.  It may be dark now at 4.00 in the afternoon but spring is around the corner and this car has to be ready.

Cheers

Ion Mitchell
Twickenham, England

1971 280SL automatic

joelj

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2005, 17:15:13 »
Warm greetings.
I recently joind the group after having bought my 68 280sl as a 40th christmas gift to myself. I've always wanted a vintage/classic car and I am in the process ofrestgoring a w108 and a karmann ghia.

The 280 sl is in excellent condition. All original; Frigiking, becker europa, hirschman automaitc antenna, power steering, automatic tranny, carpets and has 119ooo original kilometers. Mine is a euro version brought in the US so was changed to a US version. The beauty of it is that I have the euro hot cam.

Other hobbies include collecting art and breeding parrots.

I look forward to interacting with all of you in tihs forum.

Warm regards,

Joelj

n/a

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2005, 21:11:13 »
hey, my name is Jose Villareal and I live just south of San Antonio Texas. Just purchased a 1966 230 sl with hardtop and softtop. I am attempting to finish a project someone abandoned. The engine is already out along with the trans and diff. Car is in the process of being back halved and a narrowed 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.30 gears are going in. Engine going in is a zz5 crate motor with 430 hp. Let see what happens.  
 I know there are alot of people not thrilled with this as they are pretty hard to find cars.

Have lots of parts for sale.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2005, 13:08:24 »
Hello,
I'm in austin texas.  Last month I shipped my fathers 230 sl from honolulu hawaii to austin.  I eventually plan to fully restore the car.
I have two other mercedes, a 78 300d and an 98 c 230.  

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum. However, I will probably be asking more questions than answering.

thanks
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

n/a

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2005, 16:32:02 »
Howdy!

Former owner of an Aquablau (917, what a color!) '72 280sel4.5, RIP  :evil: ... I am convinced that the mid–sixties to early 70's (i.e up to and including 1972) Benzes are the best cars ever made.

Anyway, I hope to acquire a 250sl or 280sl in the next year or so and wanted to get started doing my research. Looking forward to learning much and posting a few stupid questions. TIA for any help that may/will be forthcoming! Any links etc. toward "How to Buy a 113" websites would be greatly appreciated!

GOES211

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2005, 16:59:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by GOES211

Howdy!

...Looking forward to learning much and posting a few stupid questions...

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!  

Welcome aboard!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Arjun

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2005, 17:15:05 »
Hello,

Finally , I am now an OWNER of a Pagoda.

It is a 1967 250sl with a 5 spd ZF transmission.

The car drives well but does need some work.

I hope this is the beginning of a life long hobby.

Thank you everybody for your help

Arjun
67 250sl 5-sp Manual
New York

Douglas

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 23:42:22 »
Arjun,

Let's see some pix of that new baby.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Arjun

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2005, 16:41:51 »
Douglas,

I tried, but i guess the file size is too big.

I do not know how to work around it.

It is an Ivory with Blue MBtex and it is the Italian version.

Since the picture (not shown) I have had the car changed to alloy wheels..  It drives fine. Now to make the list of things to do

Arjun
1967 250sl 5-spd
New York

Douglas

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2005, 17:45:30 »
Here's Arjun's "new" 250 SL:

Download Attachment: wht250.jpg
64.37 KB

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

rico_vancouver

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2005, 21:59:17 »
Hi - new to sl113.org, but was on the yahoo group before; I see a lot of familiar names here. I've had my 250SL for ~6 years now, and have been having a great time with it. I recently acquired a new diversion (a 560SEC) which has kept me away from the roadster for a while/during the rainy season here.

But I'm back in the saddle again, and was happy to find this forum, as the yahoo one was not as easy to use/navigate. I've learned a lot in the past from the other forum, and am hoping that I can contribute a little bit too. Nothing big to talk about yet except a bit of carpet work, but I'll post some pics soon. In the meantime, here's my favourite shot of my '67:

Cheers,

Rich
'67 250SL
'87 560SEC Euro Spec

n/a

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2005, 01:56:23 »
Hello All. Yes, I finally did it. I decided that there was entirely too much cash in my retirement account, and I needed to liberate some of those dollars and buy a Pagoda. Wanted one since the 60's, and I have found a pristine example from a retired couple here in Arizona. They bought it in 1972. It has the original welds on the fenders, original virgin metal on all four corners, original wood, original MB Tex Red interior, all original chrome, clock that works, radio that works, that under-dash A/C from new that works very well, books, records, Dealer Guide, aluminum plate, (born 02/28/1968) tool kit, even the spare is a Firestone Phoenix with the red stripe, never been on the ground. The only thing non-original is that it seems to have been painted by a drunk Navy Sea-Bee, with 15 gallons of Grey Hull Paint. (Well not that bad, but it did get "painted" instead of "re-finished".) This error is gonna be costly I am sure. Even all the original rubber seals are in good shape. Still has original (but fragile) soft top. The car was stored extreemely well, and since it's rumplestilskin like emergence into the new world, it has had excellent care. The only thing my mechanic could find wrong was rear seals. Oh well, my Harley & my dog mark thier spot also.

The mechanic was amazed at the original condition of this survivor, and so was I. The car had alot of sentimental value to the former family. I didnt pay anywhere near what E-Bay E-Diots are paying for rust bucket 113's. This W113 has zero rust.

Will post a few pics soon. I am excited about my new hobby.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2005, 10:48:37 »
AZ_68_250_NoRust:

Please do post the pictures! We are always looking to see photos of cars that have a good provenance. Also, take some photos of the less than usual spots, wheel wells, rocker panels, engine shots, etc.

And yes, Welcome to the group!

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mkhadir

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2005, 00:13:36 »
Hello all

I finally did it - about six months ago - purchased a 1966 230 SL auto

Horizon blue with a mid blue hard top

I have wanted one from when I was around 15 years old (now 31!) and finally bought one after searching for a few months for the right one.

The body and interior are in very good condition and also mechanically very sound.  Since I got it I got the cylinder head rebuilt - which I knew I had to do before I bought it.  

I wanted to upload some pictures but was unable to due to their size.  

Speak soon

Mubeen
Melbourne, Australia