Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 806541 times)

n/a

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2004, 07:44:13 »
Hello All,
My name is Greg from Sunny Tampa Florida and I recently joined your terrific group. It is groups like this that make our hobbie all the more enjoyable. Here is my story.

My first experience with the W 113 was in 1980 at the ripe old age of 15. My father found a 1965 230SL Silver with Blue interior in Hemmings Moter News located in Wisconsin. He and I flew up form South Carolina in December of that year, bought the car, and drove it back. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive the car during most of my college days.

In the early 1990's the cancer that plagues these cars had spread to much and he sold it to a local car dealer having represented the car accuratly and honestly. I was told later that the dealer loaded it up with filler, painted it, and sold it for a premium. In 1993 my father bought a 1966 230SL but having learned his lesson about the rust, bought a one owner Florida car with 66K miles and not a speck of rust (I'll come back to this one). In 1994 it was my turn.

I was living in Raleigh, NC and found a 1965 230SL advertised locally for sale and was only $ 6,600.00. The car looked great (Cream over Black)and ran good but not having learned from the past I found myself owning the the same type of patched up vehicle that the car dealer had sold to an unsuspecting soul (What's the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, etc...).

I kept the car for about a year and sold it (described it honestly)I feared my seat would drop through the floor. This time I learned from my mistake and in 1996 found a 1969 280SL, one owner, 61K miles, completly original (except for tires, hoses, etc...) Cream over parchment and without a trace of rust and after hours of listening to the 81 year old owner and all of the stories about the car, bought it and now finally had what I was looking for or at least I thought.

This was a California model with only the hard top and the small rear seat and while I knew this when I bought it I decided after a year or so to sell it as driving it with the top off and no provisions for rain did not appeal to me. This takes me back to my father's second car.

In 2001 I was itching for another W 113 and my father was in the mood to sell so after some heavy negotiating we agreed to a price and I now have a very nice, rust free 230SL that is very original and has the soft top for those days that I might get caught in a rain shower.
I also have a 1962 190 SL and it seems the majority of my friends like the looks of the 190 SL better but not me, I think they are both great works of art but the Pagoda is and will always be my favorite.

Thanks for putting up with my long story and I look forward to participating in the group. Also, if there is anyone in the Tampa area and would like to compare notes, let me know.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2004, 09:04:48 »
posted on behalf of Willy Rams

Hi Guys and Dolls out there,

Altough I am a member since over a year, just started to read these profiles now, and I tought there should at least be one Belgian in here.

So, I am 57, retired Electrical Engineer and worked for Westinghouse Nuclear most of my professional life, and participated in the construction, testing and commisioning of 4 of the 7 Belgian NPP's ( visited a few US Nukies too).

At first, I had a 1963 MGB and a 1965 Daimler MK II. On a business trip to Pittsburgh some 8 years ago, John Rooney, who passed away in the mean time, took me on a trip in his Green 280 SL. Back home I found everything wrong with my MGB and finally bought a partially restored (bodywork / upholstery) 1967 230 SL, who originated in Hollywood (no famous previous owners). I also sold the MK II, and replaced it with a 220 SEb (W111 - nicknamed Heckflosse). Both cars give me a lot of pleasure, and keep me busy. The Heckie is in better mechanical shape than the Paggie. So, I need to spend some money on the 230 SL this Summer, before I can drive it up to Cees in Amsterdam.

Cheers to all of the Paggie Lovers of this Site,

Willy, 230 SL 1967 Auto - 220 SEb 1965 Auto
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

hauser

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2004, 21:23:46 »
Hello fellow enthusiasts.

My love affair began about 20 years ago. When I first laid eyes on her I new I had to have her. I wanted her. I wanted to rub my hands all over her curvacious body. I wanted to get in her and have my way with her. ( she would later be descrbed  as a screamer  :D ) Alas it wasn't in the cards.

Although I knew in my heart that some day I would hook up with one of these pretty ladies. Her vision never left my mind. It was 8 years after that I decided the time was right. I looked at every ad I could find. Many of the listings were just too far away. I wanted to meet her personally. I didn't want a stranger checking out my lady . Then one day there she was.

She was a German beauty spent the beginning of her life in Italy. She was with a US Captain . He brought her here to the US. She had ZF5 box beautiful but not perfect. When I took her away from her 4th (I was her 5th but not last). I couldn't provide for her. She needed more than I was able to provide. We became victims of the early 90's economy. We decided to split up. I told myself she would not be my last!

A few weeks ago I saw her. She was on the auction block. Her 7th was giving her up. :(   She looked great! She was radiant! Good luck #8!!                                                              

Eleven long lonely years went by. Finally the time was right. I knew I wanted a long lasting relationship. No initial high maintenance. I wanted a beauty queen that had been around the block once. A beautiful girl who wasn't afraid of the outdoors. (never in bad weather) Then she stays indoors. I got her!

Born 1969. Spent time in her birth place a few years. Later imigrated to the US. Here she had a complete make over with extras! Thanks Gernold!! What a knockout! She has a 5spd box similar to her younger sister. Her features include A/C, full leather, euro lights, Becker EuropaII,aluminum wheels w/ hub caps, modern seatbelts, early style tail lamps, coco mats, hard & soft tops. We get along perfectly! I ask and she delivers!

Life is great! Especially in a Pagoda!!!

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 10:18:02 by hauser »

n/a

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2004, 14:01:43 »

Dear Fellow Owners,

Just a quick introduction.  I have owned our triple green 69 since purchasing it at a Kump auction in August, 1972.  I purchased the car for my mom, with dad's money, as the official car nut in the family.

It has served us well, first as a daily driver for my mom, then as a special event car brought out occasionally.  My father helped start the St. Patrick's Day Parade here in Denver (second largest in the US), and being green, the car was in the parade for 16 years as the place of honor the Irish beauty queen would wave to the crowds.

My father past on 14 years ago, and the car passed to me.

I rarely drove the car for years, but began using it as a summer car about seven years ago.  It was rear-ended, not to badly, in 98, but I thought that would be the time to freshen the old gal up.

Engine in 98.  Body was redone in 99-2001.  30 years of use and the toll of entropy were attempted to be reversed.  Originally a green metallic, now repainted in the Mercedes mica-flake green available in 99, which is a close match.

Now, after 33 years as her second owner and caretaker, I am the gray-haired driver of the vehicle.

The interior is the last part that needs to be brought up to the present, and have been struggling with the dearth of green interior parts availble.  Mercedes told my dad years ago that there were only three triple green pagodas brought in to the US.  Might be so, as this is the only one I have ever heard of.

My son and I showed the car at a show this weekend, and while driving there, we came up behind a cream 63 230 headed the same way.  My son remarked that was the first time he had ever seen another pagoda on the road!  We talked with the couple in the other car at the first light, and when we found they weren't on the way to the show, invited them to join us, which they did later.  They also then joined the club.  Of the hundreds of cars at the show, and the score of Mercedes, there were only 2 of the pagodas on display.

The 190sl next to me at the show mentioned there was a pagoda club, and I should belong.  Realizing that this is a beauty worth preserving, and with my son pledging to take over the family vehicle when the time comes, I thought perhaps, now in the fourth decade of ownership, I would join you folks.

There are a few questions I might pose before long so as to best finish the restoration, but I just wanted to say hello, and let you know you have a new/old member in your midst.

Peri
69 triple green pagoda

German Dude

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2004, 10:06:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

In order to give new members an easy opportunity to introduce themselves (if they feel so inclined) here's a place to do so. Tell us whatever you consider interesting !   :)

OK,
time has come for me to say hi. I am Juergen from Limburg,Germany (small place near Frankfurt). I bought a 1964 230sl in Texas in February and shipped it back to Germany. It's a beautiful signal red with a white hard top and black leather interior. The car spent the first 20 years of its life in Leyden, Holland, before it was brought over to Houston. It was never converted to American specs so I had absolutely no trouble getting German collector plates the first time I drove up to the TUEV people (German state inspection).

The lady I bought the car from hardly drove it anymore so a few things had to be replaced, seals, bearings, the usual. I have just completed a brake line and hose replacement (along with a brake booster - from what I have been reading, a lot of you folks have met with this fate too...). It feels good to be safe about the brakes because this engine sure likes to rock'n'roll!!! However, cruising at 90 km/h feels even better.

I have been reading the stuff in this forum for half a year now. What a great source of information it is. Thanks to Cees Klumper and Joachim Ahlert for providing me with valuable information on shipping etc.

To all the others: If you are half as happy driving your sl as I am driving mine, you are darn lucky people.

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp
93 Citroen XM station wagon

Mike Heagney

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2004, 03:48:43 »
Hi fellow devotees,
I live on the most easterly point of Australia and have been restoring a '64 230 SL over the past seven years in a labour of love.
I saw my first 113 climbing towards me up the Audley hill in Royal National Park in 1968, and transfixed watched it hug the ground into the distance, and never forgot it. White with navy blue roof.
Many years later I am now working on my own 113. It had rust in all the usual places, but was complete ,with a reconditioned motor and inj. pump.I couldn't afford a good example at the time I decided I needed to own one, so three years before purchase  I decided I needed to get the skills to repair one myself, and ended up at tech college at night learning panelbeating and spray painting and loved it.
Thanks to that training I have made all the floor panels, wing repairs, battery cradle, fuel pump shield,etc etc. The car has given me countless hours of pleasure and satisfaction and I look forward to driving it.

All other parts are new or reconditioned and await bodywork and paint to be finished.

It will be Dark Blue, Grey MB Tex, dark blue soft top , white roof.
A re-build restoration means everything is dismantled so I hope I can be a usefull contributor to this wonderful pool of knowledge that this and other like forums provide. It has been a huge help with my project.

Roll on 113's.
Mike Heagney.
' 64  230 SL  Auto  RHD  (in BITS)

n/a

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2004, 08:48:40 »
Hello All

My name is Dan Dittmar I live in San Clemente CA.  I just bought a 1969 280 SL 4 speed manual transmision with a "street" street restoration. The more I drive the car the more in love with it I am.  These forums are a great place to exchange information and I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

Dan

pagode.info

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2004, 06:00:37 »
Hello, I´m Thomas.

My car is a 66` 230 Sl Autom., two tone 670 ivory body with 040 black top and hub-caps and black MB-Tex interior. First orig.
engine. (124k Km`s).

It is my 3rd Pagoda. My 1st Pagoda was a 904 dark-blue beauty, but the base was too bad. As I did not want to strip it for a full restoration, I drove it for a couple of years and sold it to a car-
dealer.

My 2nd one was a 576 dark red 280 SL in perfect showroom condition.
I also sold it after 2 years, because this car was too good to drive. I`m not someone, who use the car only for Club-Events. I want to drive it... whenever I got time :-)

Finally the present one was the one that made me happy, because it represents an unrestored condition comparable to a good
ten year old used Mercedes.

I replaced only the softtop into a new "Sonnenland" dark grey coloured one. I also installed (orig.) headrests
and modern style aut. seatbelts.

Have a nice weekend,

Tom
www.pagode.info

n/a

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2004, 11:52:50 »
Hi, my name is Joe.

I have a 1971 280SL.  It is a matching numbers original Southern California beauty, 904 dark blue with parchment leather interior.  I have learned a lot from the messages and replies on this site.  I look forward to some fun pagoda events down the road!

Thank you.

n/a

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2004, 15:43:24 »
Hi,

Another Belgian story, a little similar story to Cees. Not a good mechanic myself, but love open cars, soccer (football in Europe) and golf. It all started in 1987 with a Lancia Beta Spider of 1981. Fantastic engine with double carburator. Very rusty in 1992, very expensive and hard to get parts, so decided to sell, and bought an MGB 1979. Still have it, but is for sale now. Technically OK, but as I want to make longer trips in summer holidays I wanted a bigger engine and somehow more reliable. So here I am, owner of a 1966 Pagode (on purpose the same birthyear!) since last week. We will grow old together....
Starting to learn the ropes.... Cees, would love to get in touch, you seem to know a lot about it. Have already questions on headrests, taillights and son on (see forum).

Kind regards
Marnix
1966 230SL

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2004, 19:16:27 »
Hi, my name is Craig.

I'm a pleased and happy owner of a beautiful silver/black 1970 280SL.  Douglas in NY was nice enough to agree to part with his car, and his sharp 280SL fit my interests perfectly!  It's a Euro model, 4-speed, leather, and it's in wonderful condition.  72K miles, original (but for a repaint in '86), and it has the 5-pc. factory luggage set.  

My love for 280SL's begin in high school when a family friend asked me to help him prepare his Mercedes 280SL, 300SL roadster, and '56 300SC Roadster for concours.  They were all gorgeous cars. (The 300SC is now in a museum in Germany)  And then he let me drive the 280SL to the show!!  I was smitten, so it's a dream come true to drive and enjoy the 3000 rpm purr of my own 280SL.

I showed the car at Seattle section gathering this summer on a beautiful sunny day, and it attracted much interest and many favorable comments.  It was just a blast to be there and enjoy the wonderful cars and people.  :D

I have begun a list of questions, so I'm looking forward to more discussions in your great forum!

Craig in Bellevue, WA
Silver '70 280SL Euro 4sp
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

Douglas

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2004, 22:05:19 »
Craig,

It's great to see your name in this forum. I think you'll find the level of expertise here to far exceed any Mercedes Club event. Yes, there are a few club members who know something about our cars, but they're spread all over the country, so one of the only places you can actually reach these diehard enthusiasts is right here.

I'm delighted to hear that you're enjoying #018260. I'm proud to say I owned it for 9 years and am pleased that it's in good hands.

A few weeks after parting with the silver SL, I purchased yet another 280 SL. Look for more details & pix of this car in a future posting.

In any event, I look forward to your questions, anecdotes, and participation in this forum. You're in good company here.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 22:23:52 by Douglas »

n/a

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2004, 12:20:25 »
I've been a Pagoda owner and an MBCA member since 1986 when I bought my first 66 230 SL. My Dad is a Benz lover and in 1982 when I was about to go to college he gave me his 67 250 SE that he had completetly worn out as a daily driver. I spent so many hours underneath the car at Henry Janzen's Mercedes shop in Fort Worth, Texas that Henry offered me a job. I saw my first Pagoda come into the shop on July 7th 1982 and in comparison to every other car that we worked on, (and we saw them all)the pagoda was the one that I vowed I would have some day.

My good friend and teacher, Henry, has since passed away. I now own two 66 230 SL's and a 69 280 SE. My first SL is a U.S. 4 speed and my second, a euro automatic. I have only had time to preserve the 4 speed so that I can continue to drive it when I have time away from corporate travel hell. It has almost exactly 100K miles but has never never failed to respond to a charged battery and new fuel when I need some "road therapy".  All I've had time to do to the euro at this point is dismantle and prepare it for some interesting retro-fitting experiments that I am currently designing.

I intend to work on, drive and generally enjoy all of my cars for as long as I am able.

Mikey
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:26:13 by n/a »

n/a

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2004, 10:39:51 »
Hello, everyone! I am glad to have met a fine group of people that share my interest in Pagodas. I was asked to provide some backgrouund on myself and my interest in the SL's, so here it goes, for whatever it's worth:

On a personal level, I am Guatemalan born and raised. Went to university in the US (Cornell, Northwestern), where I trained as an anginner and got my MBA. Have spent my entire carreer in Latin American banking, working stints in Caracas, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Guatemala, New York, Miami and, since two years ago, Panama. I am the CEO of a regional bank call Bladex, listed in the New York Stock exchane (BLX), owned mostly by American and European stockholers(www.blx.com.)I am 51 years old, feel 100, divorced and remarried, have two sons,the eldest of which attends the US Naval Academy, and the youngest lives with my ex in Miami, spending lots of money chasing girls.

My interest in Pagodas got started when I was 15 or so. A friend's father had one. They were quite rare in Latin America (mine is the only one in Panama), so I could never find one. Along the way, found some solace in a 1974 BMW 2001 Tii, which I had rebuild in the late 80's. Had to sell it (huge mistake) when I moved to the US, as it  had no emission controls...

When I eventually moved to Miami, I decided to give my Pagoda dream a try again. Got to the Internet and found one in NY, a few miles from where I had just moved from! 1971, blue. Nearly flawless. I used the car in Miami as my day car. Any problems I had, a local shop took care of (I am reasonably good at programming and doing Photoshop, but am totally inept when it comes to working on engines). Brough it to Panama, and it started giving me trouble. Long story short: have had the local MB shop rebuild just about the entire engine (injection pump included), and am still having trouble! Cold (non)starts, specifically. I read your literature on the subject, and will start by looking into the CSV this weekend --- if I can find the darn thing! From what I have seen so far, it's apparent to me already that the car needs lots of adjustments. Will have to learn, I guess.

So that's it. Sorry about the verbosity. Look forward to making friends.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2004, 03:58:18 »
Hey Jaime,
Welcome to the greatest and friendliest bunch of people on the internet. This group is attitude free and always informative, helpful, supportive, opinionated (and why not?) but we always welcome everyones input.
When I joined the original Yahoo site, I didn't own a car but I read every post made by the members and I learned quickly. Eventually I felt confident enough to buy a car.
You should also be aware of the other internet site that has a lot of the same list members as here.
It, too, has a very good knowledge base which you can browse. http://pagoda113.com/

What ever you need to know about, be it correct screw size or how to adjust the air/fuel mixture, someone will have discussed it or someone will benefit from the discussion of it, so please feel free to 'Search' this web site for your enquiry first and if you don't find a discussion topic suitable please post a new one.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2004, 22:43:07 »
Here's an introduction I received yesterday from a member in Uruguay, Mr. Guillermo Deal, and he was kind enough to give me permission to post it here. His car will be in the 40th anniversary poster:

"Please find here below a brief history of my car.

Uruguay is a small country located in South America between Brazil and Argentina. Montevideo is the capital and Punta del Este, where its plates are registered, is a summer resort. Its plate number ends in 230 like the model (B-543 - 230).

There are not too many SL's in my country so I know all of them. It is not easy to obtain one since owners do not want to sell their cars.
I know my car since it was imported to Uruguay in  November 1966. The first owner was the father of a classmate, so when I was 11 years old I always saw the car parked in front of my school.  Later on October 15, 1974 the car was sold to Mr. Peter Buschner who kept the car until September 5, 1996.

Mr. Buschner sold the car to Mr. Carlos Martinez Penino who sold the car to me last year on November 15. Fortunately I know all previous owners and I can say that I followed the car during all its life.

When I bought the car it came with all its original manuals (Mercedes Benz Type 230 SL catalog B, Service Booklet, Service Instructions, Service Afrika-Amerika-Asien-Australien, Becker autoradio manual, Becker Warranty Ticket, Richard Hirschmann certification, Mercedes Benz Amerika Stations Service Map, Sales and Service Organization for Bosch Products Aboard, etc.)

I am a member of the Montevideo Classic Car Club, and I own some other classic cars (Porsche 911 S 1976, Jeep M38 1953, Volkswagen Beetle 1954 and Ford Model A Roadster 1931) but this Mercedes is really the car I like most.

This  230 SL has both tops, its original green colour and black leather interior and its original Becker Mexico radio. Wheels are not original, they belong to a later model. Its odometer indicates 54.000 Kilometers and according with information I have the car has a total 154.000 kilometers, approx 96.000 Miles. Despite that the car is in very good condition, it is 38 years old and I just started a total and professional restoration.

I have 3 friends who also owns SL's, one of them is also a 230 SL but from 1965, the other one is a 280 SL from 1968 ( California model ) and the last one a 280 SL from 1969 with a 5 ZF Gear box. All these cars were restored."

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 22:44:27 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2004, 18:40:01 »
There are some wonderful old cars in Uruguay, particularly around Montevideo, Punta del Este and Periopolis.  I hope I am spelling these right!  My wife is from Chile and works at the Organization of American States and knows a number of Uruguayans, both there and here.  We have visited friends in Montivideo and the coastal area.  It is great to see all the old cars kept up and used the way they do in Uruguay.  The climate also is very kind to cars there which helps!

Welcome to the group.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

homegab

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2004, 12:27:52 »
Hi, my name is Home Gabbay and just joined your group and happy to have the same interest with all. I am in love with all classic m/Benz and have 3 as mentioned in my profile. But the best of them all is my 1968 280SL.

I am the 2nd owner. Bought the car about 23 years ago from an American general who had the car orderd for his wife and brought the car with him after his sevice for the US army was finished.The car is silver with navy blue leather and navy soft top all original with 145,000 miles. I, must have put 100,000 miles on it myself.

The car is all original and had the car fully restored about 18 years back and just this last Octobe had it all repainted once again, considering changing the carpet & the wood trim as well since there is some sun damage. It can be a show car but I, like my cars to drive and more I, drive them better they get!

This is my 2nd SL. My 1ST was a 1965 250SL green/tan. Also got the car from the 1st owner, which cost me us $5500. I 1980 after the full restoration on the 1st day, had the car totaled in a car accedent, which broke my heart.

There is a long history how I, have the love for this cars since I, was 15 years old and now at 48 is the only crazy passion other then the wife+kids and the job to pay for these toys.

Best Regds, Home

Homayoun Gabbay

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2004, 12:43:04 »
Welcome to the Group Homayoun! You probably own your SL longer than almost all of us. If you get a chance, maybe you can post some pictures for us in the Photo Gallery section.
There are many fellow-Pagodeans in the New York metropolitan area; most likely there will be another event like the West Point meet organized by Richard Madison this year.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2004, 03:13:23 »
Hi my name is Matthew Kois and I would like to tell you alittle about myself and my car.  

For as long as I can remember back to in my life as a kid, I always remebered the summer time.  It was my favorite time of the year, not becuase of camp or sports or NO SCHOOL, because of the Mercedes that stayed in the garge all summer long! A 1965 230 SL Navy Blue with saddle interior and of course the white invory steering wheel!

I loved that car and had the best times with my father in it.  Well when I was about 14  my parents decided brookyln was not the place to raise my sister and I.  So we moved out to Long Island but because of a need for money for this move dad had to sell his 230sl.  I told my dad the day it sold, I will have one of my own and I'll drive you around.

Since then I've been a car nut really getting into the corvettes. So I always looked through the papers and online since I got my license but nothing.  So over the years I've had my share of cars imports, vettes etc but other things have also changed over the years, my fathers health.  We just can do the thing we used to anymore (he's always in pain and no doctor know whats wrong with him)  But last month as I was driving in up state new york in the middle, then out of the corner of my eye I see the grille, I just had to look.  So I turned around and pulled in.

A 67 250 SL Light blue with saddle and the hard top on. I got chills, this was the car that I had to have.  I went in the store to find the owner. A 86 year old women, she told me it was her husband car, he bought it NEW!  I asked "is it for sale" she said NO.  I then started to walk away when I hear a little voice said wait!  She asked me why would a young man like me want a car like that.  So I told my story.... And now that 67 250 sl is in my garge.

And when my dad say it for the first time we almost cried and said "I'm proud of you" It meant a lot! So winter is here and it's time to start stripping this car because it has to be navy blue, no other color will do!  Thank you for reading my story about my soon to be 67 250sl navy blue w/saddle.  Who's the youngest owner on this site anyways ?  I'm only 22 years old and I'mm a 100% car NUT!

n/a

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2004, 13:56:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by hands_aus

Hey Jaime,
Welcome to the greatest and friendliest bunch of people on the internet. This group is attitude free and always informative, helpful, supportive, opinionated (and why not?) but we always welcome everyones input.
When I joined the original Yahoo site, I didn't own a car but I read every post made by the members and I learned quickly. Eventually I felt confident enough to buy a car.
You should also be aware of the other internet site that has a lot of the same list members as here.
It, too, has a very good knowledge base which you can browse. http://pagoda113.com/

What ever you need to know about, be it correct screw size or how to adjust the air/fuel mixture, someone will have discussed it or someone will benefit from the discussion of it, so please feel free to 'Search' this web site for your enquiry first and if you don't find a discussion topic suitable please post a new one.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto

n/a

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2004, 00:03:09 »
Hello All,

My name is Jason and I am a proud new owner of a 64 euro 230sl, 4 speed. I had been looking off and on for one for about 6 months and came accross one that is thought looked great. Just the right color exterior and interior, car was in great shape with no rust, really clean.

n/a

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2004, 21:23:46 »
I will be lurking looking for a 280SL. The purchase is contengent on the sale of my 1958 Jaguar XK150 Roadster. Asking $106,000 US. Will trade for a nice 280SL and $50,000 US. Also own 02 C32 and 03 ML350. Been driving MB for over 20 years and love them. Hope tp be an owner of a 280SL soon! Anyone interested in the Jaguar email me! thanks
LjH   :)

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2004, 21:37:40 »
LjH,

Always admired that model/year.  What is the condition of the car you are looking to trade?  I am not an expert on that model/year but I have not seen any clear the market at that level.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

n/a

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2004, 15:10:33 »
I am willing to trade for a solid W133 driver and $50,000 US. I understand 280SL's are not bringing that much however I really want one. The XK150S is a stunning car and after the restoration I found I did not enjoy driving it.
Let me know if you have additional questions
Ljh
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

LjH,

Always admired that model/year.  What is the condition of the car you are looking to trade?  I am not an expert on that model/year but I have not seen any clear the market at that level.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)