Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 822148 times)

KevinC

Re: New member introductions
« Reply #800 on: August 28, 2014, 16:12:12 »
Welcome Paul!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #801 on: August 29, 2014, 01:23:11 »
Welcome Paul.

The search is half the fun.

When you are looking at cars, take photos and put them on the forum, there are plenty of us here who will pick up errors from originality or give advice in the nicest and most helpful way so you get to understand what is right and wrong with the car and take them as intended. That way you can also get some idea of cost to bring back to original if wanted.

And then when you get to ownership, Full Membership of the Group has its benefits ;D

Garry
Membership Administrator
“other than Americas"
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
New member introductions
« Reply #802 on: September 07, 2014, 13:17:22 »
Hello,

My name is Igor and I am a new member here, although I found this thread late - I had posted some pictures of my rolling resto here already...

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=21020.0
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
« Reply #803 on: October 22, 2014, 12:55:16 »
I am Jan Lauwers; I live in Geel, Belgium.
My first introduction to old timer cars was my baby blue Fiat 500 which I bought in 2007 and sold with a loss 3 years later. Learning point: never buy a classic car in a blinded moment of love or passion. Fortunately the budget was small and looking back on it…hey, I had 3 years of fun with it. Because of the Fiat 500, I started to take evening classes  auto mechanics which, after 7 years now, I still attend.

A Pagode was always my dream and with getting older (I’m 56 now) I found to my own surprise that perhaps I could afford one. Unlike with the Fiat, I did not want to take an emotional decision on the purchase, so I spent 3 years looking for the right one, and just when I was coming to the view that I was never going to find a good one... I bumped into a white 280, in mediocre condition which I immediately bought for a VERY reasonable price.

The condition is only average, but structurally, the car is sound. No rust, a few oil leaks. I try to the maintenance now it, but I have great plans with it for a full restoration. This winter I will take the engine out and try to fix the oil leaks. I enjoy working on it just as much as I love driving this wonderful, elegant beast.
This forum is a blessing... I am so grateful for everybody’s contributions.

Have fun!

Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #804 on: October 22, 2014, 14:50:46 »
Jan,

Welcome! I believe you have found the right place and right group of folks to help you with your dream. As others will be sure to add, post more pictures when you can. We just love to see the photos.

Kind regards,
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #805 on: October 22, 2014, 14:54:53 »
Jan,

welcome to the forum... when there's events in Europe, do try to join in. We have quite a few members in Belgium!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #806 on: October 22, 2014, 16:58:58 »
Hello Jan, Welcome to the forum and your plans to restore your find further are great, do start a thread and document your progress this is what this forum is all about. You will find knowledgeable members commenting and helping you along as you go.

Good luck and happy travels~ :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rodolfo

« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2014, 19:27:51 »
Hi Jan, I live close to your place.Sint Job,

Groeten Rudy

reg

• Junior Level
  • Canada, BC, Victoria
« Reply #808 on: November 13, 2014, 04:43:41 »
Hello  My name is Reg and I have been a member for a short while.  I live in Victoria B.C. Canada and have owned my 1966 230sl for 7 months,  During that time I have used the forum and read a lot of threads to help me along the way to repair my 230sl...  Really could not do a lot of these repairs without this help..  Thanks again and hope to post some interesting comments in the future..

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #809 on: November 13, 2014, 04:50:39 »
Reg,

A very warm welcome!   Many here will want to know more about how & why you acquired your 230sl.   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

gimp

« Reply #810 on: November 13, 2014, 20:40:25 »
And a welcome Reg from NewBrunswick

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #811 on: November 13, 2014, 20:55:22 »
Welcome Reg,

The search function is your best friend and remember we love photos here, post one of your 230SL. ;D

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #812 on: November 13, 2014, 23:34:49 »
Hello Reg,

A hardy Welcome from Ontario to the SL forum, don't be shy to ask questions along the way if you need help as you may have discovered there are very knowlagable people in here that have tackled many a problem with there Pagoda and are willing to help out. As Gerry pointed out we love photos here so post one if you have a chance. Happy travels on them fine BC highways :)

douglasdolphin

« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2014, 09:22:49 »
We just replaced our white 190sl with a 268 Green 1966 230sl, it is quite original with nicely worn in leather seats, both tops, kinder seat, 71k miles Alaskan car with no rust. 

We also have a 6.9 sourced from the original oil baron owners secretary, a w140 coupe, and my boy has a grey/palomino 450sl. 

In the last twelve years we've had quite a few very early 911's, one 930, one 2.8 litre twin plug 911 racer, three Interceptors, a couple 50's jaguar xk's, a half dozen big healeys which were rough drivers, and a lot of six cylinder E-types, mostly series one cars.

Now with just one project xk150, Jensen interceptor, MGA (my first car, still with 26k miles), and the Mercedes group above. 

We should have another early flat floor e-type soon, but that is it.  All of the cars were used by me, worked on and driven hard at their limits or mine (in the case of the modified 600hp 930).  If you think you can drive, try a modified 930 in winter

We had my mothers 300sel she left with me as a town car through all of the others, and it just outlasted everything, although one 911 I drove almost 50k miles, and one series two e-type roadster I drove over 40k miles year round here in Anchorage.  The point of the ramble is that a confirmed 911 and e-type guy now owns more Mercedes than anything else.  My neighbors pointed out that I cant hardly call myself a Jaguar guy anymore.   

I am a former successful person who specializes in spending foolishly and investing poorly, yet somehow still have a beautiful spouse, and we have taken on three young and beautiful children.  The six year old loves the pagoda kinder seat, and the little car is a lot of fun at family speeds.   

We are still searching for a 300sl to use as a regular car, but the stratospheric prices make it a little silly

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #814 on: November 23, 2014, 14:37:10 »
Welcome douglasdolphin, 

Very nice automobile history and collection! Somehow I think of all garages up there, are filled with big four by fours and snowmobiles.  Have you ever considered a Mercedes Unimog?  Do you get much "top down driving" ?  I am sure you will enjoy the Pagoda, it is a very durable and drivable classic. You'll find a lot of good members to help you with any needs on this site. Keep in touch.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #815 on: November 23, 2014, 17:36:10 »
Welcome to our Forum Doug, Many helping hands here if you need a helping hand :) Post a picture of your fine car, we love to see pictures :)

azcarguy

« Reply #816 on: November 25, 2014, 04:46:05 »
Hello all,
Just wanted to post a quick intro and give thanks to all those that put together such a great site for W113 enthusiasts. I'm new to the fold but have been longing for 113 for a while now and simply can't wait any longer. All of my experience so far has been with other brands of newer era's (other than classic Corvette's) but I've been the proud owner of an E55 AMG and G320 over the years and have a strong appreciation for the classic Benz.

Ironically the car that brought me and already had a thread of it's own but the title leaves on wondering, I mean what do you say about "YIKES!" :D I'll post on the thread shortly to get some feedback and provide information.
Thread is here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=21498.0

In any event thanks again for having me and I hope to participate more from here on.

Panzer82

« Reply #817 on: November 25, 2014, 18:53:29 »
Hi there,

My name is Dave Tobin, I joined the Pagoda SL Group last year and look forward to becoming more active in the forums during 2015.

I'm a car guy, through and through, to put it mildly. I never paid too much attention to Mercedes SLs or Pagoda SLs until I fell in with a group of local Mercedes Club members who all had them and who organized a spin off group of our local Mercedes Club called 'The Pagoda Pack'. As usual, it was the efforts of a single individual that made a difference. This gentleman really built a solid Pagoda community in my area of Minneapolis, MN. A guy named Ken Garelick organized 'the Pagoda Pack' - put the word out to all Pagoda owners in the area that he was putting together a local registry of Pagodas and their owners, he even published a newsletter called 'The Pack Update' for a few years, chronicling the people and their cars, organizing events, etc.

I was invited as a guest to a few of these events (as I had no Pagoda at the time... I had a '73 280C) and found this was a fun group of people who were quite passionate about their cars, I began to appreciate them. Over the intervening couple of years I started working with the publisher of the SL Market Letter -  http://www.slmarket.com, John Olson, and got that much further engrained in the classic Mercedes hobby. I’ve recently taken over editor duties of that publication.

So along the way I drank the Pagoda Kool Aid and last Spring, after the sale of my old air cooled Porsche 911 (not a car that was easy to part with!) I found a 1965 230SL Euro model locally that had been imported into the U.S. in the mid 1980s, still equipped with its Euro lights and gauges... interestingly, it was almost the exact same color as the 911 I had just parted with, "Red Poly" is the Mercedes color... sort of a metallic red / orange / copper color... I knew when I went to see it... as soon as I saw it, I was going to take it home.

That was that... I was finally a part of our local "Pagoda Pack" and the next logical step was to become a member of the slw113.org group... so, here I am.

My car is a solid driver example, not a show car, a car that I drive and use as often as possible. For the past 3 years I have organized a vintage car rally / tour, the Walleye 1000 Vintage Rally - http://www.walleye1000.com. A classic car tour that covers about 500 miles of back roads around Minnesota and Wisconsin over two days. The 230SL was a champ running that event last year. I also took it on a trip with a couple of other car guy friends (one in a 1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, the other in a 1965 Porsche 356C) to Elkharlt Lake, WI for the July vintage races last Summer... about 700 miles over back roads that weekend... it was a blast.

The 230SL is as close to a Mercedes 'sports car' (in that 1960s sort of way) as I have found...  It seems to drive like an Alfa, but it's got all the reliability and robustness of a Mercedes. What’s not to like?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 19:02:07 by Panzer82 »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #818 on: November 25, 2014, 19:22:21 »
Welcome Dave to our forum! Great story and nice pictures. As you may already know you found a great comunity having the same passion about this fine car as you and your friends have. I'm sure you will tell your frrends about this great site of ours and the massive information that can be found here to help us keep our Pagoda running :)

Happy motoring always!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #819 on: November 25, 2014, 20:51:04 »
Welcome Dave, nice to see your in the right group.

They have very big Salmon your way :o I can see them lying in the field in the background. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 23:43:41 by Garry »
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Panzer82

« Reply #820 on: November 25, 2014, 22:43:16 »
Thank you gentlemen for th nice welcome... I'll try to add more photos of my car in the 'photo gallery' section of the forum, and some of the cars (and owners) I get together with here in Minneapolis.

I LOVE the international nature of this community, in my daily work I've sent a couple of W113s to new owners in Europe... so many of them came to the states (North America in general I think, quite a few to Canada) when they were new, but now many are going back to Germany, the Netherlands, etc. I'm amazed at the market in Europe, good cars demand big money.

Of course, I just put my car away in a warehouse for the next 6-7 months... so sad about that  :(

DT

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #821 on: November 29, 2014, 15:37:10 »
azcarguy

Welcome --- very interesting that you are looking at the "Yikes" car --- looks like a massive amount of $$ and work has gone into it and I read that you have investigated it in detail.  Good Luck.

Panzer82,

Welcome --- sounds like you really know these cars and clubs!  I can only assume you maybe in the international shipping business?   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #822 on: November 29, 2014, 15:45:07 »
Welcome aboard Panzer,

Good luck with the SL and SL Market Newsletter. Say "hello" to my good friend John Olson for me. Here's a pic of Johns 300SL and my SLK on a trip down in Kentucky some  years back.

Joe Alexander (ja17)
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Panzer82

« Reply #823 on: November 29, 2014, 16:20:44 »
Hi Joe,

John has mentioned the Blacklick meets to me... everey couple of years... heavy Pagoda focus, no?

There is a Startech deal in Cincinnati this Summer, I was thinking about attending, but it's the week after the vintage rally that I put together each year.. and while I'm not afraid to drive my 230 long distances... Minneapolis to Cincinnati, all highway driving, doesn't seem like any fun... so I'm not sure I'm going to make it.. but a Blacklick event would be of great interest to me.

DT

Coochas

• Regular
  • USA, MA, Sudbury
« Reply #824 on: November 29, 2014, 17:09:00 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a car and track nut and I see that I am in good company on this board.

My mother has given me her beautiful red 1971 Mercedes 280SL. As a car nut, I was the natural child to get this wonderful gift.

My mother always loved the Mercedes SL and in 1972 my father purchased a lightly used specimen for her. The story goes that he took her out to dinner on her birthday and my father had arranged for the car to be parked in front of the restaurant. When my mother remarked that it was the car that she loved, my father simply handed her the keys. Very slick. And so it was this car joined my family in 1972 where it will continue until I can no longer take care of it.
I grew up with this car. I drove this car to high school year round. I LOVE this car.
Unfortunately the car hasn’t been out of the garage in about 5 years. A few years ago I was going to take my wife out and realized that the car could not engage any gears.
I took my trailer to my mother’s house with the intent of installing a fresh battery and getting the transmission working again so that I could get it out of the garage (it was stuck in park). After a few hours of work on the shift linkage I managed to get it running again and trailered the car back to Cambridge, MA where we live.  I should point out that it was the TECHNICAL MANUAL on this site that gave me great guidance in getting into the shift linkage.  THANK YOU.
Father Time had taken its toll as did a chipmunk that must have been living in the engine compartment but moved on (all the nuts were shelled and very dry). In addition to needing the shift linkage fixed better, the car is leaking coolant. The poor little Mercedes needs some help. I love to tinker and while I’m not a great mechanic, I like to figure stuff out and fix them myself or at least until I get to the point
where I break something badly or need pro help. I’m thinking some gaskets are bad and that the car might need the water pump replaced. I’ll of course change
all the fluids and ignition components and hopefully it will run right again. It ran quite nicely for many years and it will again,….for the next 92,000 miles!!!
WINTER PROJECT! I’m very excited.

I look forward to participating here for years to come.  This 280SL has been incredibly special to me as it is to my mother.  I haven't drive this car regularly since 1984 and it just feels so right to have it in my possession now.  I will get this baby clean and mechanically sound again in time for some top down driving next Spring!

1971 280SL Signal Red
Dave B.
Sudbury, MA USA