Author Topic: What's your profession?  (Read 143503 times)

psmith

Re: What's your profession?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2008, 04:38:11 »
Civil Engineer.  I work in the hard hit housing industry  :'(  Hopefully I won't have to sell my car to pay the bills.  Maybe just some spare parts.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2008, 09:19:38 »
I just retired from the US Air Force after 22 years 2 months and 16 days on April 1, 2007.  I was a civil engineer carpenter.  I worked for Home Depot for 11 months then got a job for the US Postal Service.  Now I sort mail 6 nights a week.  It is not a bad job and I have my days to do what I want and play with my cars.  I finally got my 230 SL less than 2 weeks ago.  Life is good.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2008, 17:49:16 »
Mechanical engineer. I have worked on various large projects. For example:
- the expansion of the production capacity of a shipyard in Germany where they build cruise vessels of the "Love boat" type and much bigger ones
- movable bridges, such as drawbridges and bascule bridges
- new production lines for concrete products, like prefab walls and floors
- the movable roof of the Multifunktions Arena in Düsseldorf (Germany) and the movable roof of the new Wembley Stadium in London
- expansion of the Amsterdam metro line, the Noord/Zuidlijn (North/Southline)

Since the last few years I work at company that makes special heat exchangers and mixers for the chemical, petrochemical and food industries. We ship our products to almost every country in the world.

I guess I am one the younger members of this group (36). I am single and have no kids. Cars have my interest as long as I can remember and were my favorite toys when I was a little boy and they still are. They only got a little bigger  ;)
My 250 SL is my first "fun" car. It suits me perfectly; I love to drive a an open car. The SL is beautiful and rather exclusive. I hope to drive it for a long time.
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09:24 »

I guess I am one the younger members of this group (36). I am single and have no kids. Cars have my interest as long as I can remember and were my favorite toys when I was a little boy and they still are. They only got a little bigger  ;)
My 250 SL is my first "fun" car. It suits me perfectly; I love to drive a an open car. The SL is beautiful and rather exclusive. I hope to drive it for a long time.

31 here  :P   ;D  Hope to have my Pagoda for many more years.
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2008, 05:42:52 »
Current Life: Estimator/Sales for the family busines...a commercial/residential painting franchise called Certapro (www.certapro.com)

Before that I briefly taught computer programming at an alternative high school while working on a Masters in Education Technology

Before that I was a plastics engineer in the aerospace industry for 10 years.

My first post college job was destructive testing of aerospace materials.

I also was also a musician in a Mambo band playing Seattle clubs.

I was a double major: Plastic Engineering and Automotive Design with a minor in English.

Questions about non-auto painting or plastics...I'm your man.

I'll add that I feel a little out of place without a CFO or CEO in my description. Tough crowd.

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2008, 14:39:32 »
After nearly 28 years in private practice I have spent my last three and a half years as a public health dentist. As I inch towards retirement from the dental profession I am preparing to turn my car hobby into a small business. I just purchased a 6 plus car garage with workshop. It's the "hunt" for that elusive unmolested classic car that I enjoy. The minor restoration work that is needed is fun too! Gotta stay busy!
John Mancini/Pagoda69
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC
98 911 cab
56 Ford F100
08 RS60
62 Corvette Fuelie
66 GT350H
67 GT350
70 LT1 conv

Tonys113

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2008, 13:57:59 »
 ;D
New York State Licensed Master Electrician.
I own a small Commercial and Industrial Electrical Construction Firm services a 10 County area around Rochester, New York.
I had worked here as an electrical from age 18, (Now 52). The Original Owner came in one day 13 years ago and made me "an Offer You Can't Refuse'
I now have 25 electricians in the field, 10 trucks, a backhoe and Bucket truck. Very nice steady Design/Build Business with a very small, loyal Customer list.

I have wrenched on cars what seems to be my entire life, weather for my own transportation of pleasure. My 69 280SL Euro just arrived at my home on Friday. My first anything but GM car in my life. I am so delighted, I just can't stop staring at it.
My Last car was a 1966 Chevy Nova SS Resto-Mod, Very, Very Fast Car in Sheeps clothing.
I know the SL will turn many more heads that the SS car has, I have not seen one of these Benz around here in some time.

Tony

glenn

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2008, 00:23:39 »
Do I detect a latent strain of 'MB disease' here.  The symptoms are there.  (I) understand it is incurable.

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 01:15:37 »
Wow. Where do I start? 

- - - with the year of the college drop-out?    - - -  with the three combat tours in VietNam as a Huey CrewChief/Door Gunner?     - - - - with the seven years  spent as an A & P Line Mechanic  with Trans World Airlines?   - - -  with the six years in the construction trades?  - - - with the Matco Tool Distributorship?  - - -  Or with the last nineteen years as an Engineering Technician at NASA-Ames Thermal Protection Labs? 

I have been a warrior, a merchant, a mechanic, a tradesman and a technician.  Enough is Enough - - I will be retiring in early 2009.

Larry in CA

'66   230SL   "ICON 66"
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

pauldridge

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:37 »
Gainfully unemployed, now full-time car crazy guy.  Nine vehicles under my stewardship, and always looking for that next one!

Eryck

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 15:56:42 »
All your occupations seem a lot more interesting than mine!  I work for Deutsche Bank in real estate investments on the acquisitions side.  Keeping my Pagoda forever but straying and looking to find her a friend - a Corvette Stingray! 

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2008, 03:47:55 »
Very wide range of jobs in this forum.

I've been in marketing and sales for 15 years, which doesn't seem much, except for the fact that I've worked ever since I got out of high school and all the way through two college degrees and now through the MBA. I am now 33 and I now manage part of company's largest retail customers international business.

I noticed some people work in sales as well, so cheers to those pushing cases out the door every day!

Andres

Bob G

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:58 »
Bob Geco

35 years as a master Auto Detailer. mobile and fixed location owned two shops. Retired due to medical problems and became intrested in reproducing the Engineering tags for  the W113 SL . that  is my present business. I am a care enthusiast. I am an avid reader and a member of The Mercedes-Benz Club of America Long Beach chapter and the ford mustang club of America. Concours Judge

Not as intresting as some of you out their ,  but it keeps me out of trouble . Age 53

Bob Geco
Member #15 w113SL group

Witt

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2008, 02:23:51 »
Oh my, where do I start ? Maybe at the beginning....sit back, poor yourself a drink, this may take a while !

My training was in the hotel and restaurant business back in Germany starting at age thirteen. Cars where the furthest thing on my mind. After working in several hotels in Germany I spend three years in the Merchant Navy to see the world and I did.....

1965 I emigrated to Canada living in the East first and followed the motto: "Go West Young Man" and moved to Vancouver BC. It was during the long cold winters in New Brunswick, that I picked up Car Magazines for the first time, turning into a "Road & Track" fanatic lasting to the present.

Lack of public transit (Fredericton NB) "forced" me to look for a car. After a disastrous affair with a Nash Metropolitan ( I swear it was designed by Walt Disney....) and test driving several VW Beetles, the sensible choice, I fell head over heel for a fire-engine redTriumph TR4A.  The bank required a co-signer for the loan and being new to the contry......well the car dealer was a customer of the bar I worked. so he co- signed !

Having moved to Vancouver BC I continued to work in several hotels and bars. My love for Dixieland Jazz helped me tuning the pub I managed into "The Jazz Bar". After a few years of that I was headhunted by the local Jazz Club The HOT JAZZ SOC. and managed that place for seven years....but back to cars:

The amazing thing here in the west is the abundance of  older and classic cars, the mild climate is much kinder to the sportscars I loved so much. My next acquisition after getting established out West was a 65 Corvette Stingray  that turned out to be imported from the rust prone East and lasted only a few month. Next in line was a 70 E-Type, a dream come true for only CND$ 6.500.- That turned into a love / hate  relationship. It was a gas to drive but it turned out to be my apprenticeship. As my Brother put it: I was more under it than in it.

I sold the Jaguar for enough dough to cover all my expenses, busted knuckles not included. Still no regrets. Then.......I got the Kit Car Bug and successfully build five of them. Working mainly nights at the club I had tons of time in the day time. First up a dune buggy, Boy that thing was fun, even in the winter with a gas heater.
Next the TIGER by THOUROUBREAD CARS in Redmond Wa. conveniently located only a few hours drive from Vancouver. Next the MERCEDES 540K replica by the same company. I took that car to Monterey in 86 and was invited into the infield of Laguna Seca Racetrack over my objections that it is "only" a replica. Everyone complimented me on the work I done and no snide negative remarks about not being the real thing. I must give this to the Americans: you are very gracious hosts as I experienced also many times during my visits to several Jazz Festivals in the States to book bands for the club.

Correction, my first kit car before any of the above  was a Kellison GT40 replica. A pictorial in Playboy of that car was all I had to work with and it triggered a lasting love affair with anything GT40. It was powered by a dual carbed, roller cranked souped up Beetle motor.That's when the Beetle-Bug struck. Imagine my reaction when Ford came out with the new Ford GT......:What took you so long....?

Much later when I build a Porsche Speedster replica at a friends VW shop just across the street from my apartment in the West End, after all the Jazz and Sailing-Instructor business and between jobs, I got suckered in to working on a customer car. At the end of the day My friend handed me some money for doing a tune-up on that Beetle. Well, say no more, you mean I can get paid for what I was doing as a hobby all those years ? The rest as the saying goes is history !

Well not quite, for reasons I still not know my friend disappeared just of a sudden and his mechanic and I where left to run the shop. I had a ball......later we where forced to vacate the premises and I found new digs somewhere else in town. That is when I met Tom, a shop owner / operater in the neighborhood with a huge place wanting to rent out a portion of i........ done. It was the beginning of a great friedship, as the saying goes...

Some years earlier my realestate brother made me buy a little house in the subburbs, promising to sell it for double the price after a few years.....if you cant trust your brother.....well after few years it came true !  I never forget the day he handed me a substantial cheque with the words: "Go ahead, buy your Porsche !" Well if that doesn't bring tears to your eyes.....

After checking out several candidates I got a 1978 911SC and a new love affair started. Finally getting over the "holiness"  that seem to surround the car I got up enough nerve to work on it. How do you improve on a "perfect" design?
First you move the parking position of the wipers to a more convinenet place, like the passenger side.
Then you install two small marine blowers in the door posts to improve the dismal heating.
After removing, installing and having the alternator rebuild THREE TIMES I installed a plain-jane GM alternator in the space left by the non existing air pump: end of problem.
Well the list is endless and includes two engine and trany removal replacing the clutch to fix that awful "shifting-into-first-gear" problem ( needless in retrospect....that's just the way they are.....)  and a very expensive engine rebuild, even though I removed, stripped and re installed the motor.

Well a few days before my Birthday in September 2002 I hit a Van making an abrupt and dangerous left turn in front of me....( her fault not mine !)
After lot of arguing with the insurance it was written off and I got a good settlement. Funny thing happened while I was waiting for the cops..... a pristine white Pagoda drove by....is that an omen or what....

ROAD & TRACK used to compare four high end sportscars every few years in the sixties and seventies, namely the Corvette Stingray, Jaguar E-Type, Porsche 911 and the Pagoda. It was just a natural progression that I would be looking for the missing car in that group that I had never owned previously.
So the search was on and the picking was very slim so I settled for the best (as I thought at the time...) and most expensive one available. After a few disastrous attempts by "experts" and some work of my own I arrived.........at my own shop that I had shared with Tom. Can you believe it, after I closed my business and moved out my successor turned out to be Steve specialized in......Pagodas. He put everything right and I am happy as a pig in....

Presently I am retired but work part time at the HOME DEPOT here in Langley ( he, it's funnnnnnn and keeps me in beer and sauerkraut.......) I am in the progress to strip the car and ready it for the paint shop.....guess what.....I opened another can of worms......But that's   another story, I'll keep you posted.

CHEERS !
WITT !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:36:33 by vanesp »

egggplant

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2008, 09:31:34 »
After 25 miserable years writing software, mostly for Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, I decided to switch careers and become what I always wanted to be: a deadbeat.

These days I'm usually either wandering around the neighborhood at any hour, tinkering with my cars or standing around trying to figure out if I have the nerve to paint my 250SL myself.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2008, 22:14:28 »
Since I started this thread 2,5 years ago an update is in order.

I have been in internal control, auditing and financial management positions since starting to work for a Big 4 audit firm in Florida back in 1985. Probably one of the most boring-sounding fields to be in, I realize. Still, I like it and 'it's a living'. In 2005 I reported here working as VP internal control for a large retailer; well, summer last year I went back to another Big 4 firm as a partner in the internal control / risk management advisory practice. With the current credit crisis, topped off by the now-breaking Madoff fraud case, I have my work cut out for me, and am talking to several larger companies to become head of internal audit. The only problem is that there are almost no large companies headquartered in The Netherlands remaining (except Heineken, Philips and a handful others), so I will probably have to pick up the family & the Pagoda and move to another country altogether shortly (presently the UK, Italy, Russia and Norway are concrete possibilities). When I lived in the USA it struck me how relatively easy Americans move great distances to go to college or for a new job, whereas in Europe it seems people are still more attached to their home country and region within that country.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2008, 16:54:58 »
As of 12/18/08 at 3:00PM EST, my 6-year adventure into the Car Wash business has come to a close.  A true victim of the very-real credit crisis; not able to renew the financing because the bail out of Wall Street never made it to Main Street and the banks are tighter than clams now.  With business down significantly this year due to the overall economic climate, I am deeply grateful and lucky that someone with many Car Washes in his portfolio and many more years of experience in the industry came around at the right time and right price.  Whew.  Since we are in the middle of a fierce snow storm as I write this I am sure glad I don't have to figure out how to deal with the ice and snow in the next couple of days.  All the myriad little cuts, scrapes and bruises all over my hands will begin to heal.  Just like shedding a little blood on our car projects, the Car Wash was a never ending repair/triage project that led to hurting hands all the time. (Perhaps my piano teacher will notice a bit of improvement in playing!)  I still have a lot of wrap up with closing a business down, and I am doing that now.

Onto the next chapter of my life, as of yet untitled and unwritten.  I'll be working on the Pagoda Style book of course; I'll be covering some of the North American International Auto Show for The Star magazine; I'm a Contributing Editor of The Star as well.  I've discussed a new identity program and photography and graphics for a local Jazz pianist who is the Steinway Jazz representative for the area.  Maybe I'll do his new CD covers!  My education, skills and experience in Graphic Design; in the printing business; in the technology end of printing combined with graduate business school will certainly find me doing something useful; hopefully sooner than later.  It would be nice to try and make our world a little better place in the process.

I do indeed hope that my wife's position at Ford remains secure for the time being, but with things changing by the hour we never know what the future holds for anything or anybody.  With the Car Wash a source of constant repairs, home repairs fell by the wayside and now my excuses are pretty slim...so you can bet I'll still be fixing some things for some time and then onto Pagoda in the late spring for some neglected items there.

My new journey starts today!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2008, 17:57:49 »
Sorry to hear this, but with your attitude, education and experience, I'm sure you're far from washed up!  On to new and lucrative opportunities.  Best of luck.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2008, 19:52:29 »
Sorry to hear this, but with your attitude, education and experience, I'm sure you're far from washed up!  On to new and lucrative opportunities.  Best of luck.

It's a blessing in disguise, of that I am confident.  One door closes, and another opens.  Now, where are the doors...can you direct me?  ;)

No seriously, John--thanks for the kind words.  They mean a lot to me!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2008, 20:01:08 »
Hey Michael,

I'm sure things will turn out right for you in the end... and looking forward to getting Pagoda Style - as you know. I'm sure it will be great and help you get the sort of things that you really enjoy...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2008, 21:06:37 »
Hello Michael,

It must be hard to lose the business you have worked hard for. But I am sure another door will open for you. For someone with your skills and know-how there are always possibilities. I wish you best of luck.

Martijn
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

jpressick

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, VA, Poquoson
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2008, 00:52:14 »
I spent 22 years in the United States Air Force as a fighter pilot flying the F-4 Phantom and the F-15 Eagle.  In the Phantom,I completed 100 combat missions over North Vietnam.  Currently I am flying Lear Jets in support of the U. S. Navy and the U.S. Air Force. Part of our job involves towing banners for fighters to shoot  at as well as targets for Navy ships to shoot at.  Very interesting job but still wonder why anyone would pay a pilot to fly their airplane with their gas, especially this kind of fun flying.  I am the original owner of a 250SL with a 4 speed which I picked up at the Mercedes factory in Germany in November 1967.  Jim

psmith

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2008, 06:02:52 »
Welcome to the group Jim.  It's great to have an original owner among us to tell us how they came from the factory.  You should check out the story of the featured car on the Home Page (it's under Content on the left side) I think you'll appreciate the background of the car.  My brother flew A4's for the Marines out of Ben Hoa (sp?)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2008, 17:16:47 »
I spent 22 years in the United States Air Force as a fighter pilot flying the F-4 Phantom and the F-15 Eagle.  In the Phantom,I completed 100 combat missions over North Vietnam.  Currently I am flying Lear Jets in support of the U. S. Navy and the U.S. Air Force. Part of our job involves towing banners for fighters to shoot  at as well as targets for Navy ships to shoot at.  Very interesting job but still wonder why anyone would pay a pilot to fly their airplane with their gas, especially this kind of fun flying.  I am the original owner of a 250SL with a 4 speed which I picked up at the Mercedes factory in Germany in November 1967.  Jim

Jim, Welcome!

I hope you get Air&Space Smithsonian.  This month's issue has an article on the new life of F4 Phantoms...you'll find it amusing.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:25 »
Welcome Jim!  A friend of mine I work with also flew F4's in Vietnam.  Long shot but his initials are BW, and goes by Wesmo.  Good guy with loads of stories.  Seems the military guys have all the stories and the airline guys are pretty boring, or at least supposed to be.  I guess excitement is generally a bad thing in the 121 world  ;D
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!