Author Topic: What's your profession?  (Read 143244 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: What's your profession?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 11:01:24 »
Hello Ed,

Interesting porfolio of your firm.
Found a 356 on a work desk in one of the pictures.  Is that it?

I'm myself an architect-not licensed yet and have been for the past 6 years.  I work in downtown Washington DC.

I have been with our venerated 3 pointed star for better of 2 decades, actually 23 years.  At the age of 12 I helped our family car mechanic at his shop and I tagged around with him learning as much as I could soak in.  My first accomplishment was a complete rewiring of a 230SL, which had a radio dash fire.  
Since then many MB's have come and go with a touch of my hands.

Seems that a lot of architects I know, own a pagoda SL.  They say the lines are simple and clean-reminiscent of the bauhaus style.  A few delicate touches of chrome, wood, painted metal create the overall effect and its just right, not too much or gaudy.

Walter
1967 230SL-diesel
1963 230SL-f/s

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 11:39:18 »
I'm a docking pilot in one of the largest ports of Europe, Antwerp Belgium that is. So it comes to this: when we were kids we played with small boats in the bath and now I have the privilage of doing so with + 200 m. vessels :-) and I love it!!!

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

terry shores

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 12:14:23 »
I retired at 46 after selling a chain of fast food mexican restaurants 10 years ago.  Now just collect cars and provide "flooring financing" for a friend of mine who owns a used car dealership.

Terry Shores
Temecula, Cal.

n/a

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 12:33:38 »
I am physician as well - I have diecast model cars all over my office so my patients know I'm a motorhead at heart.  A nice drive in the Pagoda is just what the doctor ordered after a long day in the hospital!

Joe
Los Angeles, CA

Douglas

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 12:50:29 »
I am a flight attendant. My interests include horses, skiing and people. My turn-offs are people who are mean and my turn-ons are . . .

Just kidding. I am a professional writer. I write ads for a living in Manhattan. I am a partner in a startup agency after spending years working for other ad agencies here in New York. For the past few years, it seems like I've been creating a lot of ads for tech companies. Possibly for the company whose name is on the monitor you're staring at right now.

As many of you know, my wife and I just had a our first child, so I'm hoping my son will adopt my interest in cars and, specifically, Pagoda SLs. I will be patient though, and give him at least 6 months to decide whether this is the hobby for him. :-)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 20:47:31 »
I work in the Computer Science department at IBM Research, where I am a Senior Technical Staff Member, and lead research projects related primarily to storage.  I am also a part-time lecturer at U.C. Santa Cruz.  

In a couple of years I intend to leave the corporate world and get a professorship at a university (probably Chico State).  I will have summers off to cruise around in the Pagoda.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

norton

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 20:51:16 »
David what are you doing online? Where still drinking beer at Joe's

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2005, 17:39:03 »
I am a mechanical engineer, and for 15 years my career was in the manufacture of electronics equipment and precision machined parts.  5 years ago I left manufacturing and began teaching high school in science, math, and introductory engineering.  I am experiencing the surprisingly difficult (but satisfying) challenge of teaching well, offset by having time in the summer for our 4 children, and for waxing and tinkering with the Pagoda.  :)

Craig
Bellevue, WA
1970 280SL, Euro, Leather, 4-spd.
Silver/Black

Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

mille

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2005, 07:59:56 »
I'm 48 and hold a M.Sc. in Industrial production planning. For the last 7 years I have been a Product Manager in the United Nations (UNDP) - responsible for long term agreements with most major vehicle manufactures re. procurement of field motor vehicles. Other than that I spend my time with my wife and our two daughters (who are not particular interested in dad's Pagoda...),by driving our Pagoda (which currently are undergoing a major restoration), enjoying our new house at the sea side, travelling and reading books.

Bearcat

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2005, 10:10:11 »
I am an airline pilot....a capt on the airbus a320. i own a mercedes 280SL 1970.....I always wanted a pagoda from an early age and was very much influenced by my late father who owned many mercs. Daily driver is a 5yr old S500.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:21:19 by Bearcat »

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2005, 19:52:56 »
Husband, Father of Two, Sunday School Teacher, and Commercial Banker

...a Pagoda fan from before the age of 10...fortunate to own one for the last year.
Tennessee, USA

dwilli3038

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2005, 21:29:02 »
I am a Mechanical Engineer by education. I am curently the director of North American Engineering for an animal pharmaceutical company.

Daryl
'64 230 SL
Serial # 508

TerenceD

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 06:01:53 »
I am a partner in a cellular phone company.  My company specializes in cellular phone accessories and GSM phones.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 09:26:53 »
In this life I own a car wash, a self serve with one touchless automatic (as if you didn't know that already...) basically an entrepeneur?  A lot of time being a father to a 6 year old girl, and husband to a Ford Motor Company executive (sorry guys--gotta drive them)

In a former life I sold capital equipment into the printing industry, big expensive stuff that now is done on the desktop with Photoshop and a $50 scanner...that's why I don't do that anymore.

In another former life I was an applications engineer for printing equipment...but left to get a Master's.

And in the first former life after college, I was an applications engineer for automatic inspection equipment in the continuous-materials industries.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

isofast

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 10:12:01 »
Tip one for me Mike H
I am a Chicago Teamster[:p]
Ernie Burchall
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 21:49:51 by vanesp »

n/a

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2005, 11:08:34 »
I am a Division Financial Officer of a mid-size community bank. Having been with the big banks for the past 12 years, I am now settled in with the relaxed life of a community bank to have more time with my family and my Pagoda.

Prior to my banker life, I was with a giant photographic company in western New York.

I felt in love with the Pagoda when I was growing up in Hong Kong. I bought my "training" Pagoda about three years ago. I sold it to a German buyer about a year ago after getting it to run and done all the repairs to the best of my capability. I bought my current Pagoda about six month ago.

I enjoy driving and tinkering with the car and it is wonerful therapy to end a long day. I have wife and a 6 years old daughter - she already laid claim to the red little sport car when she is ready to drive.  We'll see!

Louis 70 280sl red auto

Dick M

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2005, 12:20:42 »
Retirement is my full time job... My last employment was as VP Corporate HR Development and Communications - Boston.  Earlier jobs were as multimedia producer, autoshop teacher (I know nothing about cars newer than 1966) and Peace Corps Volunteer.

Now I volunteer to instruct my fellow senior citizens to use the Internet and I also do video productions for non-profit's fundraising/promotion...(like W113 Pagoda SL Group).

Life does not get any better than this....

Dick Mentzer
1970 280SL
Nevada city, CA

n/a

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2005, 18:17:05 »
I am a CTO for a Medical Software Company.

Basically I Surf the Internet all day.

Jeff Abbott
1969 280sl
2005 Acura TL
2002 Jeep GC Ltd.
1976 MG Midget

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2005, 06:42:06 »
I am an over educated, Mechanical Engineering and an MBA, retired US Navy Supply Corps Officer (mostly built and ran large computer systems), retired senior Unix system engineer and mostly car guy.  I have owned my 190SL since 1972 and am very active with the 190SL Group (Director, webmaster, operate the Club Store, etc).  I also have a 1971 MGB because of a great local club and I have a 1987 MB 2.3-16 that I supercharged with a SLK blower that I drive on the track.  I rationalized the purchase of my 1967 230SL 5-speed in 1999 "because it was a 5-speed".  One of my better rationalizations.   Cars are fun and car people are super people.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 06:42:47 by JimVillers »
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

TR

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2005, 09:13:27 »
Degrees in engineering & business.

Using the model of “former lives”: First life was an intell. officer, with several years spent on assignment in the various garden spots of Asia/Pacific, M-East/Africa (wife was with me on several of these).  Second life was chief engineer for a Fortune 100 company; planning & execution for ~$1B/yr of Capex.  Third (current) life as CEO of a specialty firm advising mega-companies in strategic planning, mergers/acquisitions/disposals, as well as capital deployment with special focus on process automation.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2005, 11:49:10 »
I am an engineer by profession but have spent my entire career in sales and marketing management with companies such as Xerox and Westeel Limited. I retired from the corporate world last summer and was able to buy my 230SL from the estate of the neighbour who lived three doors down from me.

I am only semi-retired operating a small buisness that specializes in the sale of personnel assessment tools used for recruitment and training needs analysis. My wife, with my part-time assistance has been operating this business for the past 16 years. I am also an inventor having a patent pending on a new product just introduced to market, Notes2Go. It is completely unrelated to the assessment tool business and is a startup which means lots of calls. You can check it out at our website notes2go.ca.

I try to do what I can on the Benz such as shocks and the like. Most of the work I have handled by a great mechanic, Tony Rocca of Continental Car here in Winnipeg. My specialty is detailing, including machine polishing where needed, but with the Benz it is all by hand as the paint is original.

George

1965 230SL
4 speed
Ppyrus white
Acquamarine leather interior
Black tops

Mike Webster

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2005, 11:58:42 »
I own a prototype shop in Roseville MI. We basically machine automotive engine and transmission components in small quantities either from billet or a casting. We run conventional & CNC equipment, most customers are the big three and the major tier one's. I've been doing this now for 29 years.

I have a BSME from General Motors Institute. I did my co-op work, and spent my early career at the now defunct Fisher Body Division.

Mike Webster
230sl silver/red

bpossel

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2005, 18:37:59 »
I have worked in the world of information systems for over 26 years.  Currently work with medical software & systems at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN.  Have been married 26 years, & have 3 wonderful children.  My parents took European delivery of a 190Dc in 1965, & we toured Germany for 4 months visiting relatives.  Ever since the factory tour, I was hooked on MBs.
Bob
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:59:47 by bpossel »

erickmarciano

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Canada, Quebec, montreal
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2005, 18:57:56 »
I am an in import / exports of kitchen goods from the orient . I am 34 with 2 kids and a 3rd one on the way <joseph 2 years old , Rebecca 10 months old and the my wife Michelle is giving birth in september .as you can see I have my hands full . I have done most of the restoration job on my car < not the bodywork> .I have beed doing cars for around 12 years . when I have a little free time I work on the cars and Vespas

thanks
Erick

1971 280sl
1962 VW
1954 Allstate vespa
1958 gs150 vespa
1962 gs160 vespa
1994 E500 W124
1971 280sl
1989 Porsche 930 coupe
1988 e30 m3
2001 ducati mh900
2006 ps1000
1962 Vespa GS160

n/a

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2005, 02:32:13 »
I'm a TV journalist at Al Arabiya, a 24-hr news channel based in Dubai. No knowledge whatsoever about auto mechanics. I just fill the gas up and drive away.
I got my M.A. in International Relations at the American University in Washington, DC; and a BS in Economics and Business Admin at the University of Maryland.....(a long time ago!)
Mo
69 280 SL, Silver/Black