Author Topic: What's your profession?  (Read 143271 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
What's your profession?
« on: July 27, 2005, 16:04:54 »
To start it off, I am currently the Chief Audit & Compliance Officer of the International Medical Corps, headquartered in Los Angeles. Our organization provides basic health care services to populations in conflict zones and areas struck by natural disaster. We're currently active in some 30 countries, including Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Somalia and Haiti. All my career has been in external and internal audit, internal control, finance and risk management in Europe and the United States which has brought an interesting mix of experiences in the developed and developing world.

What kind of work do you do for a living?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 22:32:15 by Cees Klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bob G

Re: What's your profession?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 16:13:31 »
My perfession is Automotive detailing I like to think of it as cosmetology to the metal mistress of my clients. You can tell I have been in this business a long time since 1970.
However one does not stop at the information he has been given when thermoalastic paint (Lacquer) was used , rather like an doctor he continues to learn and read up on the ever changing nature of coating technology Powder coat clears & ceramic technology.
I like being my own boss, but you have to realize your real boss is your clients and they are the ones you must make happy.
My job is a demanding and one must think when working on an automobile, its not wax on wax off like in the karate kid. The wrong chemical or slice of the buffing pad can cost you plenty.
Bob Geco
Los Angeles, CA
1968 280SL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 14:29:52 by Bob G »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 17:33:43 »
I am a television producer and own a production company in Jacksonville, Florida.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

peterm

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 19:21:47 »
In an effort to attempt to pay for 280 restoration I have gone through graduate school, medical school and residency and have determined it takes an ophthalmologist at least 120 patients a week to keep the pagoda running.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 21:46:10 »
I'm still a farmer. We run 500 acres yet and at one time we had 800 with 200 head of cattle. Along with this we had a hay and straw trucking operation. No wonder I'm so sore all the time.
I started working on MB cars as a hobby in 1977 when I bought a '56 190SL. Along the way I bought other cars, 64 220SEb Coupe, 74 280, 69 280SL, 61 190SL, 66 230SL and a host of other cars some of which are only good for parts.
In 1982 I started selling AMSOIL which was my first venture into retail sales. I learned a lot about oil and lubrication. Working away on my own cars I found that a few people wanted me to do odd jobs on their cars too. The learning curve was pretty steep during this time.
In 1987 I went to see Tim Kidder at K&K. I bought some parts and we talked about setting up a dealership in Canada. A year later in June of ' 88 I started selling parts and the response was incredible. I was advertising in the old car trader and calls flooded in from across the country. The following year I started going the the car auctions in Toronto and have been there ever since. At this point I do little if any advertising - it's word of mouth now.
In 1995 I got remarried and started the shop part time. After several tries at finding the right guy to work with me I think I have that sorted out. Now the shop is full time and farming is part time. Shelley does all the paper work, book keeping, shipping and receiving and cat care.
We now have 3 major suppliers so parts are a little bit easier to get.

I still think of myself as just another car guy and wish I could get away more than I do. Maybe even drive the Red Rocket once in a while........

So, I still do what I've always done I guess.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

eboati

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 23:37:48 »
Hi,
I work for the United Nations in Geneva (Human Rights. Now on mission in Nepal, while my 230sl is getting some TLC in Milan, with Luca Meroni, known to some of the group.

Cheers,   e.

1964 W113 230SL
1982 W123 240d

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 01:50:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

Here's a new one: what do you do for a living?

I work as a project manager doing restructuring of the data network (IT environment) in large corporations, as a consultant.
I am a mechanical engineer to begin with, started out designing precision electrooptical equipment etc. Gradually moved to management, then tried to get back to working with technology by becoming a consultant.
I have four Mercedes, to work on them is a great hobby, something solid to work with and one can immediately see the results. This is a good contrast to intangible matters at work.

/Hans in Stockholm
/Hans S

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 02:14:41 »
I started working in the Motor Trade in 1987, 3 days after leaving school. It was my dream to work in a garage, so I started valeting,then did an apprenticeship as a mechanic,then moved into middle management, then sales for a few years.............then left !

I now work for our family business selling Electro-Mechanical Variable Speed Drives to the production/manufacturing Industry. Basically we design and distribute Electric Motors, Servo's, Steppers, Clutches, Brakes, Couplings etc. I travel around the Country 4 or 5 times a month visiting Customers and am office based outside of that !   8)

I drive my Pagoda as much as I can and find it a real "door opener" with my Customers !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

enochbell

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 04:27:44 »
Twenty five years on the business side of health care, with last 12 of those years using venture capital to buy and grow health care services (home health, occupational medicine, physical therapy, nurse staffing, subacute rehab).  Five years ago, after selling a company, took a year off and had the time to rebuild most of the '64 and to learn that I will always suck at golf.  Just sold another company in July so am taking another "breather" and trying to avoid work altogether.  I am not lazy, mind you, just would rather turn a wrench than a dollar.  Two kids in college (Penn and Emory) will get me back to business soon enough, I guess.

greg

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 05:25:26 »
I work in the health safety environmental and security group for a chemical company in NE Ohio. My specific responsibility is for systems implementation for the corporation. I am a chem engineer by training, and have worked in production, projects, information technology, Six Sigma, and other various and sundry special project assignments.

I have been a Benz owner for 20years, and currently have the 67 250SL, an 05 E 4matic wagon, and an SLK230.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 06:05:07 »
I am a lobbyist in Washington DC.  I recently accepted a new job in this field as VP of a trade association representing nine Automobile Manufacturers including Daimler-Chrysler.  I still haven't been able to secure a discount on parts but I'm working on it!

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:06:01 by Kgear »
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 07:01:40 »
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my rants about copyrights...for 20 years I was a licensing executive (patents and trademarks too) for the biggest public licensing operation in the world, licensing mostly healthcare inventions and starting up companies in California.  Five years ago I met the love of my life (well, other than Carling that is ;) ) on a business trip to Scotland.  I took very very early retirement and moved to Europe two years later to marry my car-aholic German sweetie, hoping not to work too hard after that, but my boss lured me back to work for him part time, and my sweetie just talked me into starting work together on Lake Neuchatel for a large Swiss engineering research outfit.  I can thank him for also talking me into buying Carling.  I look forward to making contact with the Swiss W113 contingent. We're a rather interesting group, don't you think?

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 07:31:58 »
I started out as an Electrican wiring houses, buildings, rebuilding motors, alternators, switchboards etc.
Then studied to become a Telecommunications Draftsman ending up in charge of a drafting group that looked after the telephone exchanges in the CBD of Brisbane.

Technology changed and I was made redundant in 1992 at the age of 42.

I decided that I wanted a change in direction so I now work for myself in the alternate health industry as a qualified Massage Therapist.

Bring on the sore/bad backs!

An ongoing change for me ... I am a shade tree mechanic in training and loving it.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

graphic66

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:45:58 »
I have owned my commercial printing company for 25 years. I also own commercial rental property. At this point I don't work to hard, late to bed and sleep late. Most of my time is spent maintaining my 406 and 230SL Mercedes. Mostly boating, offroading, and motorhoming, and in winter, a major sickness- snowmobiles. Just taking it easy now.

RickInTex

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 15:16:59 »
I'm a university English professor and academic literary critic.  My pagoda was the present I gave myself last year for getting tenure and promotion.  The raise has so far been exceeded by what I've spent on a valve job and rebuilt injection pump, but I can't put a price on the fun that comes from driving the car now.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

Ed Cave

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 15:21:07 »
I own a commercial interior design firm with a Dutch female partner, Christine Veenendaal. Hence the company name, VeenendaalCave, Inc.

We are 42 architects and interior designers + support staff designing corporate office space throughout the Southeastern United States.

We launched this, our second website in early 2000 and, although one of my primary goals this year is to build a new site, we've been way too busy to even consider it. Besides, I have to have time for my other passions, two from the seventies which are listed below. www.vcave.com

If you happen to be really bored and games like "Where's Waldo" easily amuse you, try to find the Silver Porsche on our website.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 15:23:41 by Ed Cave »

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 16:32:14 »
This really is quite an impressive group. I am involved in tax software and accounting applications sales. I attended a sales motivation program several years ago and the point was made the you need to set goals and when you achieve those goals you deserve a clearly defined reward. I decided that a Pagoda would be my reward. I acheived my goal and I went out and purchased my 1969 Pagoda. I have explained this concept to my wife many times but, she still believes I just made up an excuse to buy the car. She may be right.
  It is really great therapy to work on the car.I can work very hard in sales and I am never certain if I have accomplished anything. Fix a part on a Pagoda and you know it.
Ted 1969 280SL

KevinC

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 16:32:16 »
I sell pork (somebody has to, right?) Okay, I really do sell everything from bacon to hot dogs to ham to crown roasts to national restaurant chains. I travel all over the US selling to various accounts. The company I work for processes 28,000 head per day...that's the equivalent of 1.1M pounds of bacon! No, I cant get samples.

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

rob walker

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 17:59:49 »
I am a V.P. for Dubai Ports International.
We are a container terminal owner and operator and we have secured a 50 year concession to build own and operate a brand new facility in Busan, South Korea.
This will be one of the largest and most efficient container terminals in the World, having a quay lenght of 3.2kms and will have the largest handling equipment ever built. The total project cost is over $1.6Bn.
First phase of construction will be complete at the end of this year when we start operations.
I am currently based in Seoul with my wife, but spend a lot of time in Busan.
This means the other newly acquired love of my life remains tucked up in Europe for my home trips and will eventually relocate back to Spain with us where we have our family home.

Rob Walker

German Dude

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 04:58:09 »
I work for a German independent record label represented all over the globe. I am in charge of our American distribution. Also, I am responsible for our newest product line: audiobooks. As a kid, I had a Pagoda toy car and decided one day I would own a car like that. Never underestimate a 7-year-old's resolve...

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 06:02:03 »
Trained as an Agricultural Engineer but now in a small business with one partner, distributing truck and bus (and a few OEM Pagoda) parts.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 07:20:06 by naj »
68 280SL

Sphe

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 06:05:02 »
One more year of college and I'll be a Mechanical engineer with a concentration in Design and Mechatronics. Workin for the pawling corporation this summer as a assistant draftsman.

Eugene
1965 230SL, Max Speed: Zero

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 08:46:09 »
Well, half the time I am an academic Reference Librarian at the local College. I teach kids how to research and locate info.

The other half? well, I stay pretty busy with 3 kids, a wife, home, and a couple toys -- (the 230SL being at the top of the list!)...

"life's been good so far..." J. Walsh & Co.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ranchomerced

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 09:03:05 »
I restore and collect pre 1971 Mercedes Benz. I have been doing this for 25 years; before that I was a navigator on the nuclear powered fast attack submarine USS PUFFER SSN 652 based in Hawaii. See my website: www.ranchomerced.com .  Mark Passarelli

Chad

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 09:59:17 »
I am a physician.  I always wear gloves when I tinker on the cars now.  Patients seem to like fingernails that are not soiled with srease and grime.

-CD-
1967 230SL
1983 300TDT