Author Topic: Holes on left side of trunk floor  (Read 1927 times)

BOTIGER1970

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Troutman
Holes on left side of trunk floor
« on: February 01, 2023, 00:46:16 »
Does anyone know the size of the two holes for the fuel vapor canister plastic pipes on the left side of the trunk floor just back of the wheel well on the 1970 280SL?  I replaced this piece, but it didn't come with the holes and my part was rusted away at the holes.  I also don't have the grommets and am not sure which grommets are correct for my car.

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: Holes on left side of trunk floor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 02:16:47 »
You will need two grommets: 110 997 14 81 and 108 471 00 81. I bought both from Authentic Classics. I used a step drill and checked the hole size frequently. If you need to know where the holes go, there are photos on Motoring Investments but you have to look through the various cars listed on their "old" website.

Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 13:02:59 »
Does anybody know whether this vapor canister was on Euro (German) models also? I cannot find any evidence of this ever being on my car. I know some countries had a regualtion that you could not vent the tank to the atmosphere, but Germany did not have this.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 15:38:59 »
Does anybody know whether this vapor canister was on Euro (German) models also? I cannot find any evidence of this ever being on my car. I know some countries had a regualtion that you could not vent the tank to the atmosphere, but Germany did not have this.

Mike, if you are referring to the fuel vapor expansion tank in the trunk (passengers side), then yes, my late 230SL, German delivery, has such.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 15:55:36 »
Mine is on the right side--passenger side--when standing at the back of the car.
It is more of an expansion tank than anything else, as it is open to the atmosphere via the FST (funnel shaped thing) which is one of the three connection points on the canister.
If my memory serves me correctly, two lines from that expansion tank connect to small steel lines on the fuel tank. If the fuel expands or evaporates in the tank, it "overflows" into that expansion tank. If the  expansion tank gets too full, it drains out the FST...or something similar.

When I restored my car, my original expansion tank had small brass tubes as connection points, and fuel-grade hose connected these points to the points on the fuel tank, while the third one went to the FST. I had, when they were exceeding cheap, bought the MB OEM replacement. Imagine my surprise when it seemed to be a one-pieced molded thing of exceeding lower quality than the one I had. So, I didn't install it. What I did do was cut it open! Nothing inside. No carbon filters or anything. It's merely an expansion tank much the same as the one for your radiator in the engine compartment.

Mine's a January 1969 build, so emissions regulations may have changed to something different after that time.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 16:43:23 »
Mike, if you are referring to the fuel vapor expansion tank in the trunk (passengers side), then yes, my late 230SL, German delivery, has such.

My car does not have it and I can see no evidence it ever did. No empty holes, no loose lines or tubes.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 17:25:37 »
The emissions regulations changed for the US for the 1970 model year. My 280 SL is a Sept 69 build but built to model year 1970. It has the larger expansion tank in the left side trunk well, with the two holes as mentioned by the original poster.

This was more an "emission reduction" system than an emission control system. There are a number of relays (two are elecrtronic) and valves to route vapor and fuel flow back to the engine.

There is a description of the system and diagrams in the technical manual - Go to the tech manual, scroll down to "Fuel system" click there and scroll down to "Emissions Control System"
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 17:39:13 »
My car does not have it and I can see no evidence it ever did. No empty holes, no loose lines or tubes.

Assuming we are talking about the same thing here is a pic of mine.  There are clips on the hard board to hold the tank in place and direct the vapor lines.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 22:18:38 »
Don't have it.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

BOTIGER1970

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Troutman
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 22:33:14 »
My research shows that the change in the U.S. from the right side canister to the larger vapor Canaster that was placed on the left side was for VIN 11948 and up; was a change for U.S. cars.  If I understand this correctly the U.S. had different emission requirements then Europe.  The hole sizes I asked about in my original post would only be on the cars that had the larger vapor canister on the left side. 

BOTIGER1970

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Troutman
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 03:40:36 »
I received info from MB Classics concerning the hole specs for the left side of the trunk.  Thought I would pass on incase some else needs the information. 
-Hole center to hole center is ~35mm
-Bigger hole diameter:  ~25mm
-Smaller hole:  ~20mm
-Distance between the two holes:  ~15mm

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 08:48:36 »
MikeSimon, my Jan 64 Italian delivered 230SL has the fuel expansion tank.
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa