Author Topic: 1966 230SL Wiring Question  (Read 1226 times)

JulianReid

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TN, Franklin
1966 230SL Wiring Question
« on: January 25, 2023, 17:04:56 »
I am putting a 1966 230SL back into running condition.  I am trying to find the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter, but I've had no luck finding it, and I would prefer not to pull the bottom of the dash out to examine the switch wiring. I have reviewed the wiring diagram on this forum and it says that the wire should be violet.  I recognize that someone over the last 50 years may have changed the wire, but can anyone tell me whether violet is indeed supposed to be the color, and where on the wiring harness it comes out in the engine compartment?  I have also tried testing a bunch of loose wires with a volt meter when the ignition switch is in the start position, no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Julian Reid
1966 230 SL
1971 280SE 3.5 Convertible
1955 (Replica) 300SL Gullwing

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: 1966 230SL Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 18:07:10 »
Julian,

Welcome to the Group!  Please post an introduction for yourself and your car (we love stories and pics!) in the "New member introductions" thread under the "General Discussion" section.

Also, it might be best to post questions like this in the General Discussions section instead of the Full Members section.  Only a percentage of the forum users are full members, so you are restricting your audience posting here.

Have you pulled the cardboard panel off the bottom of the dash?  Very simple to remove and put back in.

Loose wires?  Are you working on a car with some partially disassembled wiring and components?

I have a 1966 230SL (vin ending -018381) and can take pics of my car if you like.  Just give specific requests.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

JulianReid

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TN, Franklin
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 21:54:19 »
Thanks for your response.  When I purchased the car, the previous owner had replaced the original motor with a freshly rebuilt 1988 560SL 117-968 motor, but it had no engine wiring harness. After much consideration, I decided to complete the work that he had started and go ahead with the V8.  He had done SO much work on the conversion including automatic transmission fitment and exhaust installed, that I felt like it was the best path. So, I purchased a 560SL engine wiring harness and installed it.  Now it's a matter of locating a few wires in the engine bay, getting rid of some duplication, and testing everything out.  I have figured out most of the mystery, but this ignition wire has eluded me. I will look under the dash to see if I see the cardboard piece that you are referring to, but I fully expect that the ignition switch is wired properly.  So if you have any photos that would be helpful to determine where the wire comes out of the harness, that would be great. If I need to run a new wire from the ignition switch, I'd love to know what the appropriate gauge is as well.  Thanks.  Julian
Julian Reid
1966 230 SL
1971 280SE 3.5 Convertible
1955 (Replica) 300SL Gullwing

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 23:03:30 »
Julian, read this thread.  lpeterssen can no doubt answer your question, either on this forum or through a PM.

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=34382.0
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:26:49 »
Thanks for your response.  When I purchased the car, the previous owner had replaced the original motor with a freshly rebuilt 1988 560SL 117-968 motor, but it had no engine wiring harness. After much consideration, I decided to complete the work that he had started and go ahead with the V8.  He had done SO much work on the conversion including automatic transmission fitment and exhaust installed, that I felt like it was the best path. So, I purchased a 560SL engine wiring harness and installed it.  Now it's a matter of locating a few wires in the engine bay, getting rid of some duplication, and testing everything out.  I have figured out most of the mystery, but this ignition wire has eluded me. I will look under the dash to see if I see the cardboard piece that you are referring to, but I fully expect that the ignition switch is wired properly.  So if you have any photos that would be helpful to determine where the wire comes out of the harness, that would be great. If I need to run a new wire from the ignition switch, I'd love to know what the appropriate gauge is as well.  Thanks.  Julian
I'll send you a few pics from my ignition area.

I believe a couple members have either performed the m117 conversion, or bought cars with it already done.  Use the search and send PM or email to any members you find who did post about this.

Yes, the member lpeterssen can help a great deal, so read that thread and maybe send him a PM or email.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 08:34:29 »
Hello, i understand that the wiring diagrams may be for manual cars, automatic cars are slightly different

The violet wire from the ignition switch will route to the neutral safety switch on the firewall before going to the starter, so that the car doesn't start unless in park

Pictures on the link below to help you identify it

https://shop.millermbz.com/search?sSearch=neutral+safety

Hopefully Mr Peterssen will read your post and advise further
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:54:25 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 12:08:37 »
Hello friends

I got in contact with Julian already.  I normally watch out all the time the “ELECTRICAL AND INSTRUMENTS” section of the forum.  That is why I did not get to answer Julian questions before.

Thanks to you all for the recommendations on my work.

Best regards
L.peterssen