Author Topic: Anyone with an electric mystery needed to be solved  (Read 2326 times)

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Anyone with an electric mystery needed to be solved
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:38:59 »
Hello my friends

Happy new year, ready to help you out on any erratic and unexplained electrical behavior of your loved classic car.

Remember electricals are allways the Cinderella on any restoration, everybody is afraid of touching it, and is full of “band aid” repair's..

Get your hands fully on it and give your electrical system the attention it deserves.

Any questions are welcome. Will answer them right away trough this forum.  Remember to make a good explanation of how, when, and what happens to your electrical system that you consider is a misbehaving case.  All clues will be needed to solve each puzzle.

Look at this album:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0QGWBC59GSmN4U

Best regards
L.peterssen

BartSt

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Re: Anyone with an electric mystery needed to be solved
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 17:28:14 »
(all HNY)

I can share with you from experience, that Mr Peterssen is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

He helped me a lot with my Non Cinderella electrical spaghetti.

Be well,

Bart

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 20:17:15 »
HNY Bart

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Be well.

Best regards
L.peterssen

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 23:09:33 »
I do have a question....do you have a picture of the little wiring harness that lights up the heater levers and speedo and tach etc.   My car is missing part of the in-dash harness but I may have it in a bag of wires that I swept up off the floor when I picked up my car long ago.   

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 00:17:57 »
Dear Ian:

That is a frequent problem on the wiring of classic Mercedes w113 and similar cars.  There is not a separated sub wiring harness for the speedo& tacho illumination as well for the heating controls.

It is common to have those cables chopped.   

Supposing that cables are still there but hidden, let’s solve first the speedo&tacho.

TACHO

There is a pair of cables coming from the main light switch harness branch that has a gray/blue cable and another brown which is the ground.  Those should be connected  to the bulb holder which is behind your tacho (gray/blue is the positive 12v) and the brown should be connected to the tacho housing.

SPEEDO

On the harness branch that goes to the ignition tumbler switch there is again a pair of cables with same Colour scheme as described before. Gray/blue + brown.   Do the same thing done on the tacho.

HEATING CONTROLS

On the harness branch that goes to the cigarette lighter there are 2x double prong female connectors. One of those connectors has a black/yellow/green cable+ one brown .  This connector is for the cigarette lighter.  The other connector in that same branch  has one gray/blue cable  and one brown.   That terminal connector should go to the heating sliding controls illumination  connector.

Look at the picture attached which has two red circles. Those are the harness branches for the main light switch and the ignition tumbler mentioned above.

WORKAROUND in the case you can’t find any gray/blue cables.
=======================================

Gray/blue cables are always related to illumination circuits on classic MB.  If your car central instrument cluster (rectangle part between tacho and speedo) illuminates when you turn on the exterior driving lamps, there is a good chance that we can obtain a derivation cable to illuminate the accessories asked by you.  I mean a dimmeable illumination  line coming from the output of the rheostat.

You just have to open the 12 pin connector that feeds the central instrument cluster.  In that connector you will have to look for a gray/blue cable and solder there the derivation cable you want to use for the bulbs holder already mentioned.

If you are not very handy soldering, there is a much easier solution but with one compromise.  The lights will not be dimmeable at the speedo, tacho and heating controls.  That is a small sacrifice for functionality considering the risk of doing a lousy job soldering in those connectors and affecting other circuits.

So I think this will be the best approach for an aficionado.

EASY SOLUTION

===========

Take the illumination line from fuse no,7 output on the main fuse box.   You will notice, that from main fuse box, circuit no.7 there are three output cables. Two of them are gray/red and there is a single gray/violet.

Prepare one derivation cable that will feed the illumination  on the accessories requested (tacho, speedo, heating) with an “0” shaped terminal on one side.  Unscrew the cables on fuse no.7 and place on that screw the 4x cables,  (2 gray/red + 1 gray/violet and 1 x new cable.).

Remember that each of the accessories which need to be illuminated also will need a good ground cable.

Enjoy your modification work.

Best regards
L.peterssen

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:55:53 by lpeterssen »

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 02:00:26 »
L.Petersen has been a big help for me too.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 10:54:35 »
John

Happy new year. Many thanks for your nice comments.

Best regards
L.peterssen

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 17:22:50 »
Hi,
I see you have an electrical diagram on your iPad or device. Would you be able to share a copy of that?
Thank you and Happy New Year.
Kevin
1970 280SL
1970 280 SL

BartSt

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 17:32:51 »
Is just the PDF from the Technical Manual

Bart

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 17:46:47 »
Kevin

As indicated by Bart, that wiring diagram I use most of the time when servicing w113 wiring harnesses, is on the technical section of this forum.  It is available for full members only.

Nevertheless there are similar published on the internet and you can find them doing a query for “Mercedes W113 wiring diagram”. Be aware that there are several versions depending of year of manufacture, but they are indeed very similar for general purposes.

Best regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 21:38:56 by lpeterssen »

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 17:57:12 »
Hi,
I see you have an electrical diagram on your iPad or device. Would you be able to share a copy of that?
Thank you and Happy New Year.
Kevin
1970 280SL

You are a Full Member!
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/WiringDiagram
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:08:55 »
Thank you gents.
1970 280 SL

Vintelectra

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 01:09:49 »
Hi.my 64 230 sl wiper motor not working. Power gets to motor terminals when activated.Brushes good.How do I check for motor continuity? Thanks in advance. Martin

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 11:06:40 »
Dear Friend (vinelectra)

If you already checked that there is power to the carbon brushes when active, there is nothing else you can do but to bring the motor to a rebuilder to rewind (hacer embobinado)

The motor is dead so should be repaired.

Clean the collector at the inductor, to see if it works.

https://www.google.com/search?q=working+of+an+electric+dc+motor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:44acf7ae,vid:CWulQ1ZSE3c

Best regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:27:42 by lpeterssen »