Author Topic: 230SL wrong engine,,,please help  (Read 3145 times)

Giles

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, Wales, Cardiff
Re: 230SL wrong engine,,,please help
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2022, 10:01:18 »
JamesL I totally take on your thinking and I for me its probably best I sell the car, I will be open to offers how she is and if its not roughly what I paid then I think I will do the work and keep her for a while and get paid back that way

Bonnyboy, I also agree with you I use to buy and sell old land cruisers  from Australia and i never wanted them messed with, just back operational and mechanically sound. If paint has 50 years in a desert working it would be a crime to spray it. Couple of picture below of a before and after of the same car i know its not really relevant but some of you guys mike like even if its not a Merc

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 13:46:25 »
You should connect with this member who wants to find and convert a pagoda to electric so should not care about wrong motor.  He’s also in the UK

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=35180.0
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Giles

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 09:45:16 »
So I have found an engine from an early 250se, am I right in thinking it should be fairly straight forward swap. And i think its got power steering, would i be able to add that to my no power steering car or is it all different?

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 10:55:00 »
#10 gear shift linkage should be an inexpensive and easy fix that will greatly improve your driving enjoyment - replace the plastic parts.

afibbe

• Regular
  • USA, OH, Cincinnati
  • 513-374-5600
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2022, 16:27:30 »
If if all seam overwhelming, chunk it. Pick an area and do it.  I am in my second year of my rolling restoration.  My first chunk was the engine area.  One of the picture attached was the start and the other was the end. Last winter was the front suspension and steering.  After each chunk, the car is more fun to drive than before.
Alex Fibbe
1966 230SL
USA, Cincinnati, OH

Giles

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2022, 18:24:32 »
Looks neat Alex and I suspect your spot on I have always hated stuff that’s wrong

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 22:14:33 »
My two cents:

1. Wrong engine
Don't lift the bonnet. I'd run this engine until it falls apart. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Put a supercharger on it for more power if you want.

2. Paint is ok but poor quality 6 out of 10
A good going over with a clay bar and polish will do wonders. Not very expensive especially if you do it yourself.

3. Rust free , not a spec
A real bonus! Not many can say that.

4. Wrong wheels
You have Bundt (like the baking pan) wheels. They were on 70's and 80's Mercedes. You can buy used steel wheels for about US$50 on ebay or go to a breaker's yard. You can probably sell your Bundts for about the same. Then buy new beauty rings and hubcaps, paint them body color and you have an instant upgrade.

5. No radio
If you have a radio delete panel that's actually a bonus. Some people covet them. I saw a period Becker radio online for about US$500.

6. Needs new hood, no hard top
The soft top will cost about US$800 depending on the material you choose plus installation. These don't necessarily need to be installed by a pro. If you had a hardtop you'd put it on on once, kick yourself for scraping the paint, then realize that you'd rather have the top down. It would molder in your garage until you sell the car anyway.

7. Dull chrome except bumpers are new (front not fitted)
Take them off and buff with a polisher. Just the cost of polish and maybe a US$100 bench grinder with buffing pads.

8. Dark brown interior
You can change the color of the leather with a product called Leatherique. Works great. It'll change white to black or vice versa. BTW Mercedes sells red cars with brown interiors now. I thought I wouldn't like it but it grows on you.

9. Drives nice
Super!

10. Gear linkage is like stirring a bucket of bricks
It needs some inexpensive nylon bushings. Easy fix.

11. Interior is good 7 out of 10
Leave it alone

12. Seems to sit level and drive nice
Great!

You have a wonderful car that you can enjoy right away instead of waiting months (years) until its put back to stock. Also no bills for all of that. Take it to a Mercedes event, leave the bonnet closed. People will marvel at it.

Just my 2 cents (pence).

Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 22:19:55 by mBdrvr »
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

Giles

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 13:34:48 »
Thanks Paul

I was thinking what you suggested and maybe rather than a respray I just ask a body shop to improve what’s already there for now at least. The fronts good the boot lid is a bit orange peels. Reassuring you think the gear linkage will be inexpensive if anything it’s the worst part of the car because everything you put it in gear it feels like it may just come off in your hand. I am also thinking that instead of either replacing the engine or living with the engine that’s in it that I do a bit of both. Maybe I just drive as is while I find the right engine in good condition, have it rebuilt but not fit it. If the old engine becomes problematic I am ready to go, if I restore the car to concourse in the future the engine part would be already done. 

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2022, 14:11:59 »
Power steering is not only a matter of having a pump on the engine. You would need a p/s steering box, which could cost you a pretty penny. Then i am not sure whether the steering column connecting to the box needs changed also.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 14:32:18 »
Giles,

I think you have the right idea. You’ll really enjoy your car. Getting it to where you want it is half the fun!

Good luck,
Paul
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

Bshaunessy

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Invermere
  • 1957 190 SL; 1970 280 SL; 1975 450 SL; 1971 300 SE
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2022, 23:14:10 »
STICKANDRUDDERMAN:
  EGAD!  A customer wants to convert his (her) 230 SL ato be electric! A travesty!
I’ll buy that 230 SL and your customer can buy a new TESLA…..problem solved?