Author Topic: Electric Conversion  (Read 9257 times)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Electric Conversion
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 15:03:27 »
Wonder what kind of range it has?? Living room to garage and back??
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Colingo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Henley-on-Thames
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 08:21:42 »
Jokes aside, the next thing to work out for my 64 230 conversion, is the weight of everything that comes out, the engine, gearbox, manifolds, exhaust, radiator, alternator, injector pump, petrol tank and all fluids. I'll be keeping the prop-shaft and diff. I need these weights to calculate the battery weight I can add back without changing the handling and suspension. Does anyone know any of these numbers, or point me in the right direction to find them?

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 16:46:55 »
EV4U did a 1964 230SL conversions - here's the summary of the before and after summary, which includes weights, etc.
Starts at about 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGuYMYk0xd8&list=PLj1NdhlC39Vm6lWLoFZGn2xkFcqAwm-kZ&index=15
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Colingo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022, 12:15:36 »
Hi

Trouble with that conversion is that he's starting out with a V8.

Colingo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2022, 10:51:30 »
Conversion Update

I've done quite a bit of research since my last post. I've spoken to numerous companies about batteries, motors, inverters and gearboxes (all required for the conversion). A lot of the components available are unfortunately from China. I'm trying to stick with UK/US options although the batteries I'm going to use will probably be LG from Poland. There are multiple choices on motors, but not many on gearboxes which contrary to widely held opinions are needed for electric cars. One option might have been to stick with a manual gearbox and use that, but I bought an automatic! Most motors run between 12,000 to 20,000 rpm. For a maximum speed of 100mph (more than enough for me) the final drive ratio needs to be between 8→15:1 to optimise the available performance of the motor. The diff ratio is obviously part of this. Anyway, I've got a lot of this stuff and can share it with anyone who's interested.
As far as conversion companies are concerned I've decided upon a UK company called Electrogenic who are not very far from me in Oxfordshire. I did also come across a US company called Moment Motors in Texas who've been very helpful and are actually doing a run of converted Pagodas.
A significant portion of the conversion process is learning the idiosyncrasies of the particular car and this comes with a cost. Sharing the cost with more than one car has advantages. So, anyone else out there in the UK fancy converting their Pagoda?

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2022, 03:58:52 »
Delighted to hear that you continue to learn, and share, with us that are interested in EV conversions. It is great to vicariously be along for the journey and I look forward to hearing more updates as you progress down this path.
I have a Tesla so know the benefits of EV, although would want to make sure your Pagoda conversion is plug and play for the next battery etc. as that car will be around a lot longer than a Tesla.
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Colingo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2022, 09:45:29 »
Dave

I think you have to own an EV to appreciate the potential benefits of a conversion. I own an i-Pace which suits me for my regular London commute. I look forward to doing similar trips in my Merc.

I am concerned with future proofing the conversion. A lot of conversions use low voltages 100→200V which are only compatible with slow charge rates. At the other extreme are 800→900V systems that charge at up to 250kW, but the systems and the chargers aren't readily available. A 900V inverter is also very expensive ~ £15,000.  I'm opting for a 400V system that allows charging at 50kW. I'm planning a 62kWh battery, so as you can imagine, there's not too much waiting around to get significant charge although probably not as good as your Tesla.

On a more fun aspect, I've been looking at potential performance. A 280 will put out 240Nm maximum and in 1st gear there is a 4:1 ratio, so the diff sees 960Nm for the brief moment revs go through 4,000. My conversion will offer close to this (800-900Nm) from zero to 50mph - should be fun without breaking the diff.

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 23:42:49 »
Wow! Please keep me up to date as this is a brave, expensive and exciting ride that you are taking us all on. You are very wise looking into all the future proofing issues. This landscape is changing fast and you do not want to invest $$$$ and find out it is obsolete technology in a few years and have to start again. The future will show that EV conversion companies will rapidly expand for those with the funds to mix sentimentality with the future of electric drive trains.

There will always be petrol cars in our lifetimes, particularly classics, although as we are seeing from all car manufacturers, EV demand is increasing and is where they see their growth. In summary, I respect my Tesla, but love my Pagoda.
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2022, 19:32:09 »
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Colingo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2022, 13:17:52 »
Hi Mike

I agree with the sentiment of that article. I wouldn't convert a Ferrari V8/V12, but I believe a humble 2.3 straight 6 in a beautiful car is ripe for conversion.

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2022, 05:27:11 »
Agreed, probably best done on a donor car (any model) with a non-original motor, gearbox etc. Keep the matching number sets together for future generations and improve/ experiment on those that have lost their investment lustre.
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2022, 15:50:20 »
Both you and your murse will regret any such conversion. If you must have an electric vehicle, purchase one already completed and spare a Pagoda for those who appreciate it as is.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2022, 11:47:28 »
Both you and your murse will regret any such conversion. If you must have an electric vehicle, purchase one already completed and spare a Pagoda for those who appreciate it as is.

Well said! I am always amazed how many people out there think they are able to "re-engineer" a vintage or classic vehicle and come up with a better result than the original designers. This doesn't apply to electrification only, of course.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 05:06:37 »
For the avoidance of any doubt, my comments do not advocate or fully endorse a conversion to electric in a good condition matching numbers Pagoda, as I too am a purist. However we live in a world where change in automotive technology is advancing (batteries) and the cost and availability of repairs to their older original petrol engines and fuel pumps is almost uneconomical or unviable. In addition some Pagoda’s, for one reason or another, have reached the point of no economic return and sadly will be lost to the community.
Now if there is someone with deep pockets is willing to invest in bringing it back to automotive life and provide an externally eye pleasing Pagoda, with the benefits of zero emissions, then I think we could all see some small benefit in that rather than lose it forever.
100% agreed, you cannot improve on the original. #bracq
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2022, 19:36:57 »
Want an electric conversion? Be prepared to pay big money
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/want-an-electric-conversion-be-prepared-to-pay-big-money/
Also discusses the practicalities of a conversion
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 13:05:29 »
In the current issue (#41, Winter 2022) that just arrived of Classic Mercedes magazine, page 7, there’s a short mention of “Watt a W113”…

UK Mercedes restorer Hilton & Moss has completed one with Everrati Automotive doing the electrified power train.

Priced around £300,000.

NOT a one-off; they are happy to take your bespoke order.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 14:58:29 »
For the avoidance of any doubt, my comments do not advocate or fully endorse a conversion to electric in a good condition matching numbers Pagoda, as I too am a purist. However we live in a world where change in automotive technology is advancing (batteries) and the cost and availability of repairs to their older original petrol engines and fuel pumps is almost uneconomical or unviable. In addition some Pagoda’s, for one reason or another, have reached the point of no economic return and sadly will be lost to the community.
Now if there is someone with deep pockets is willing to invest in bringing it back to automotive life and provide an externally eye pleasing Pagoda, with the benefits of zero emissions, then I think we could all see some small benefit in that rather than lose it forever.
100% agreed, you cannot improve on the original. #bracq

What's with this matching numbers stuff?  :) In a Hemi 'Cuda it makes a difference, but our cars?
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC