Author Topic: Hardtop quarter lights  (Read 1192 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
Hardtop quarter lights
« on: March 18, 2022, 20:46:54 »
I'm grappling with installing the quarter lights. I've read the technical manual and numerous postings. Others have asked ( and not had a response) to the following questions

Should the hardtop be positioned correct side up or upside down, and also should I be attempting to fit the glass from the inside or outside of the hardtop? I presume that I should start by inserting the rearmost corner first into the bottom channel?

Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks Gordon

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
Re: Hardtop quarter lights
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 05:33:56 »
Install them with the top upside down from
The inside. This allows better leverage as you can Pull the window up into the chrome at the base of the top (towards you) while trying to push the opposite end of the glass into the channel by hand.  When you get it close use a very thin scraper to leverage the window the rest if the way in. Only took me
About 15 minutes a side using this method.  I tried following detailed instructions posted by another member about doing it with the top right side up and just could not get that method to work for me. Note that you do not need to remove the chrome trim on the bottom outside lip of the hard top below the window as you install from the inside. This piece is easily damaged if you try to remove it.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 11:23:40 »
Thanks John for your quick and clear response, I'll have another go at it later today. I presume that I should start by inserting the pointed rear corner first?

Thanks Gordon

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 05:59:23 »
Yes
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 11:34:35 »
John's advice was spot on. I used copious amounts of washing up liquid soap all round the glass, inserted glass into rearmost corner then used a metal spatula to lever the glass upwards into the bottom track. I used a small clamp with a block of wood to clamp the corner of the glass at the  the top of the B post progressively tightening as I used the metal spatula to lever the glass into position. This corner is the pinch point

First one took about 15 minutes, second less than 5 minutes  , I think that loads of suitable lubricant makes the job so much easier