Author Topic: car show window data sheet  (Read 5776 times)

alextito

car show window data sheet
« on: January 28, 2022, 14:04:52 »
I want to show my 1971 280 SL in a show here in Sarasota and would like a small poster with a summary of the car. Any leads?

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Re: car show window data sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 15:23:34 »
Hi, I can recreate the sales window sticker if that would be of use. Email me a copy of the data card and I will be able prepare the window sticker for you. If you only have the
photocopy data card that MB supply I also recreate full sets of data cards that exactly match the originals. Best Regards DM

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 04:14:45 »
alextito,

I have done different things depending on the event.  Sometimes a simple letter size poster is appropriate. I print it on poster board and mount it on heavy wood block I prepared for the purpose.  See photo.  This one only has our sl113.org logo and the basic model information. It can also be placed on the windscreen if the ground or pavement is not suitable.  In addition I sometimes display a second letter size poster with a lot of detailed information.  See the detailed page attached headed “Single owner Mercedes Benz”. 

Sometimes the event organizer will provide guidance.  For one event the organizer asked for three statements about the vehicle for inclusion on the windscreen poster.  The organizer printed uniform posters for all vehicles with the entrant’s statements included.  See the EuroFest poster attached.  One could create his own poster of this type with several statements about the car along with make, model and a logo. 

I hope this is of some help.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 16:27:16 »
ralph:

You know, the displacement of your 280SL is not 2800cc !?!  8) ;D :P
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 00:56:17 »
Mike , Nothing like good round numbers!
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 14:44:04 »
The "car window data sheet", a/k/a the "Monroney" in the USA vernacular, isn't exactly the best thing for a car show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroney_sticker
https://monroneylabels.com

As a volunteer for the Concours of America, I've written many dozens of car show placards over a number of years for all kinds of European marques and models, some quite obscure which required more data and research than the owner often provided. I also did these for some interesting American show cars. They all followed a script that was something like this:

Year-Make-Model
Body Style
(above two lines in the headline)
Text of approximately 150-175 words
   Manufacturer Info
   Model info-basic
   Specifics of a model
   Specifics of the particular car
   Any provenance or other interesting information.

All of this was printed on a 18" x 24" foam core placard, with room for the commemorative license plate below that all entrants received.

Here's an example:

1955 JAGUAR XK-140
ROADSTER

The XK140 was manufactured by Jaguar between 1954 and 1957 as the successor to the XK120. There was more interior space, better brakes, rack and pinion steering, increased suspension travel, and tubular shock absorbers. It was introduced in late 1954 and sold as a 1955 model. More substantial bumpers with overriders and flashing turn signals above the front bumper help distinguish it from its predecessor. Power was from the 3.4L Jaguar XK DOHC inline-6 engine making 190 HP. The roadsters have removable canvas and plastic side curtains on light alloy barchetta-type doors, and a tonneau cover. The windscreen is removable for true open motoring!

This 1955 Jaguar XK140 Roadster, or OTS (Open Two-Seater) was found locally by the present owners after 35 years in storage.  A ground-up restoration was performed in 2020. This is one of 3,276 Roadsters produced in 1955. The XK140 has long been acknowledged as one of the most romantic and iconic sports cars ever built, making it a highly sought-after collectible automobile.

Presented by WILLIAM & TINA SIPKO

In earlier years, they wanted more detail, such as this; the volunteer responsible for culling all these together generally did some final edits to the writing and format based on needs at the time of the show. Here's one I did for an MB:

1938 Mercedes-Benz 320
Type W142 Cabriolet B
Ted and Mary Stahl

The Mercedes-Benz W142 (Type 320) was a passenger car introduced in February 1937. It succeeded the Type 290 (Mercedes-Benz W18). The car was known by its name Type 320 during production and service, but today is commonly referred to using the Mercedes-Benz works number W142, giving it a more specific nomenclature. Like many cars of the era, it was available in a number of body styles, including short and long wheelbase, limousine, “tourenwagen”, roadster, four cabriolets and more. The car features the straight six-cylinder 3.2L M142 motor, newly enlarged in displacement with side valves producing 77HP at 4,000 rpm. Top speed was 81 MPH. Power was delivered to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual synchromesh transmission, unusual for the era. Brakes were hydraulic on all four wheels. The suspension was from the W18 with a swing axle at the rear and a central transverse leaf spring and coil springs beside the wheels at the front.

Mercedes-Benz is one of the world’s most recognized names; a division of the German company Daimler AG. The brand is known for luxury vehicles, buses, and trucks. The name appeared in 1926 with the merger of the firms of Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz. Benz's 1886 Benz Patent-Motorwagen, is regarded as the first gasoline-powered automobile.

This example is a Cabriolet B, which features two doors, four seats and four side windows. It is “numbers matching” and features “autobahn gearing”, a mechanical overdrive operated by a separate floor lever. The original jack and associated tools have also survived and are fitted to the firewall.

I have a couple of these left over from the times my car was in the show and these cards were written by others. I always keep one in the trunk/boot for a show, or even a GTG or Cars and Coffee event.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 14:49:23 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 15:03:39 »
Thanks Ralph and Michael.  Keeping a such a placard in the trunk for club events is a great idea. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 19:15:28 »
Here’s the one from a 2011 show. Written by the car selection team (not me).
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 19:43:08 »
It was explained to me that our cars are classified as roadsters as they only have 2 seats and a cabriolet needs to have seating for 4 or 5.   

Is that still the vernacular in the car community or has it changed?

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 20:10:59 »
It was explained to me that our cars are classified as roadsters as they only have 2 seats and a cabriolet needs to have seating for 4 or 5.   
Is that still the vernacular in the car community or has it changed?

First, understand that I did not write this; it was written by others with their own interpretation of data and car knowledge.

There's a lot of gray area in automotive definitions. Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not, I did find this with a search, at a website called "Car Keys"...

"Cars which have a soft-top or metal-folding roof may be referred to as either a convertible, cabriolet or roadster, depending on the exact model and manufacturer you’re viewing.
But do they all mean the same thing or is there any significant differences car buyers should be aware of? This guide explores each body style term and what actually makes them different.
In truth, there’s hardly anything which separates convertibles from cabriolets and roadsters. Ultimately, if a car is classed as any one of these things, it’s guaranteed to have a roof which can be lowered, allowing passengers to experience open top driving, and that’s what matters the most. One thing to note though is that the term roadster is frequently used for two-seater sports cars, both those with a folding roof and others which don’t have any sort of roof at all (e.g certain versions of the Caterham Seven). For cars with folding roofs and more than two seats, either the term convertible or cabriolet is more commonly used and they are interchangeable nowadays. While American car brands more commonly use convertible, several European manufacturers have used both the terms convertible and cabriolet (or cabrio for short) during their existence. Some manufacturers may prefer to use the term cabriolet instead of convertible simply because it is the older word (it has been used since the 18th century) and see it as more traditional."

I can tell you that when I was writing these storyboards for the Concours of America, later than 2011, we tried to follow some reasonable standards under guidance of the Car Selection Chair, and thus all the Mercedes-Benz SLs were classified on the storyboard as roadsters (later than 2011, obviously, when mine was written)  Certain model Rolls-Royce, Jaguars where known as Drop Head Coupes, never Cabriolets. Some older MGs just dropheads...and speaking of Mercedes-Benz, it was always Mercedes-Benz, never Mercedes alone, and goodness, absolutely never [the peculiarly British slang] "Merc". You'll note that in 2011, whoever wrote that used "Mercedes" alone a couple of times. Probably to cut down on word count! But who knows, I just took what they gave me, and it lives in my trunk...er...boot...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 13:51:29 »
My view: "Drop-head" is a unique British term and has been used almost exclusively on British cars. The term "Convertible" is a self-explanatory term rooted in the fact that you can convert from a closed to an open vehicle. "Kabriolet", I think, originated in the French language:
cabriolet, originally a two-wheeled, doorless, hooded, one-horse carriage, first used in 18th-century France and often let out for hire. The name is thought to derive from cabriole (French: “caper”) because of the vehicle's light, bounding motion. Later cabriolets were built with four wheels.
Some Italian cars in the 60s were officially named "Kabriolet/Cabriolet" by the manufacturer
Lastly "Roadster" originally was an open car without any roof. It sometimes appears in our SL world when a W113 was ordered and sold without soft-top.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 05:49:56 »
I have a picture size is about 2 feet by three feet that I put into a old photo try pot I no longer use. Inside the frame I tell the history of the car (import to Florida, ownership after that then import to Canada etc and how I found her in a Milionares garage). Some photos I took when I found her. The item that gets the most attention and people smile when the read it is....

Please don't touch
unless
you are naked :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 12:44:57 »
I'm very fortunate that in 1975 Automobile Quarterly published an issue featuring the 300 SL and also prepared a marketable poster using a photograph of my car. The car appears almost exactly the same 47 years later.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:50:56 by ejboyd5 »

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 17:37:16 »
I'm very fortunate that in 1975 Automobile Quarterly published an issue featuring the 300 SL and also prepared a marketable poster using a photograph of my car. The car appears almost exactly the same 47 years later.

very nice!
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 19:29:23 »
Wow nice is right.
EJ, how often do you drive the Gullwing ? How many miles per year may I ask ?

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 22:10:05 »
I dug out my copy of AQ Volume 13 #2 and re-read the article(s).  The Yoshihiro Inomoto cut-away is exquisite all by itself!  Was the New York Auto Show car that John Fitch wrote about taking a few laps in at Lime Rock for his article yours too?
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

FastWgn

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Weston
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 10:21:12 »
To the OP - I have used the attached poster a few times. One laminated version for quick (under the wiper" type of application.
And a large framed version to have on the garage wall, and that we bring to more structured events.

Attached the PDF file so you can print at any resolution/size.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:25:37 by FastWgn »
================
1969 280 SL, 4 speed.

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 10:57:26 »
I dug out my copy of AQ Volume 13 #2 and re-read the article(s).  The Yoshihiro Inomoto cut-away is exquisite all by itself!  Was the New York Auto Show car that John Fitch wrote about taking a few laps in at Lime Rock for his article yours too?
Yes, it is.  Here's a picture of it while on display at the 1956 show at the NY Coliseum and a picture of it today.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:04:03 by ejboyd5 »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2022, 11:54:23 »
…The Yoshihiro Inomoto cut-away is exquisite all by itself!

That cutaway on ejboyd5’s car show placard (for W113) is by Terry Davey for Hayne’s manuals…highlighted with a spread in Pagoda Style.

Is there a cutaway (W113) by this Inomoto? Or, is the Inomoto reference only for the 300SL?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:59:22 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 16:36:37 »
I keep mine simple it reads ....

PLEASE DON'T TOUCH
UNLESS YOU ARE
NACKET

HAHAHA ... it does produce a lot of smiles

Dieter

Actually, I do have a larger display I place into a stand (18"x24" picture frame) It gives the history of the car and how I found her in a millionaires air conditioned garage with 18 beautifully restored American cars from the 30 and 40s.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 16:45:01 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 18:57:29 »
That cutaway on ejboyd5’s car show placard (for W113) is by Terry Davey for Hayne’s manuals.
The cutaway on the Automobile Quarterly 300 SL poster is by Inomoto.  l have no idea how Davey's work came into this discussion as he had nothing to do with it.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 22:56:39 »
…l have no idea how Davey's work came into this discussion as he had nothing to do with it.

umm…because the thread topic is about car show window data, this is a W113 forum, and the car show placard shown by Fastwgn has a cutaway by Terry Davey.

That’s the only 113 cutaway I know of and merely asked if Inomoto had done one of the Pagoda. Jeez…
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 23:10:19 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 23:26:46 »
Attached is something I have used at various concours. The reactions are amazing from "I took college German", "not quite sure the spelling is correct" to many photos taken

jb
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:56:16 by John Betsch - "SADIE" »
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 18:19:23 »
umm…because the thread topic is about car show window data, this is a W113 forum, and the car show placard shown by Fastwgn has a cutaway by Terry Davey.

That’s the only 113 cutaway I know of and merely asked if Inomoto had done one of the Pagoda. Jeez…

Perhaps it was because in your original inquiry (Reply #19) you stated:  "That cutaway on ejboyd5’s car show placard (for W113) is by Terry Davey . . . "  I think you probably meant Fastwagn instead.  I've done something like that, too, as you may recall.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 22:51:49 »
John…

Your “Achtung!” sign is absolutely hilarious.  Every time I read it aloud I crack up! 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)