Author Topic: Re: Windshield wiper linkage-- Update  (Read 3054 times)

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
Re: Windshield wiper linkage-- Update
« on: October 04, 2021, 17:27:59 »
Hello all,

Instruments still out of my 230 SL, I found that my wiper mechanism is stuck. Operating the wiper motor results only in clicks from under the hood. When I unhooked the motor from the mechanism, it ran fine. But I can't get the levers of the linkage to move at all when I pull and push at them. The windshield wipers themselves are still off the car and I have put penetrating oil into the bases so far with no luck.

The wiper mechanism was unhooked from its below-windshield location when I had the blower motor and air distributor box out in order to move the ducts that pump hot air to the windshield. The mechanism stayed in place, just dropped down to allow removal of those ducts. Is it possible that I somehow put the mechanism in the wrong position when I hooked it back into position? I hope the attached photo will show how the driver's side wiper mechanism is currently sitting.

I would appreciate any insights my esteemed colleagues might offer!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 23:06:56 by EdwardBernard »
Bill Leddy, Edmonton, AB, Canada
1964 230 SL, red, manual, ps

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: Windshield wiper linkage-- Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 20:42:33 »
Hopefully you don't have the same problem I had which was that all wiper transmission joints (inside the car) needed working and lubrication. I ended up taking the linkage (transmission) out and working/lubing it.  Its possible that lubing at the bases will free it up and I hope thats the case for you. You could try working the main bar from under the dash. If you end up taking the linkage out (I think its two M8 bolts) be careful not to damage your ducts for the windshield defrost. If original they are some kind of cardboard and damage quite easily - and . . .expensive to replace.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 21:21:21 »
Mine didn’t move either. The internal shafts were stuck (rusted) in the tubes. If you don’t want to disassemble it, which is a pain, you can disconnect the drive and try to force the rotation. I flushed them with WD40 first and slowly made them move. Properly cleaning the shafts/ tubes will be tricky if assembled.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 16:11:24 »
Would one of these fix it ?
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 16:23:37 »
I would think the lube tool would be for after you free up the shafts in the tubes. If the shafts are frozen in the tubes, use a penetrant to free them up first. Then use the lube tool to inject a good quality grease to prevent any issues down the road.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 14:28:25 »
I agree with Wallace. You can put a small piece of clear plastic hose on the wiper arm connection and fill with the penetrant and let gravity help the process. The tubes are a great idea to do on your car with oil to keep the wipers from sticking in the future every couple of years.
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 15:54:36 »
Thank you to everyone! I'll keep on keepin' on...
Bill

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 20:03:15 »
Next to heater lever replacement, this IS the job from hell. The whole dash has to come apart to fix this if the assembly becomes seized. If you're lucky, and it's the RT side where you can get at it, you may be able free it up without removal. This is a very expensive part new.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

EdwardBernard

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, AB, Edmonton
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 23:05:16 »
Hello fellow members,

As an update to my sad tale above:

I and a friend managed to remove the entire wiper assembly (a hellish job, as promised!). Suppressing my basic urges to smash the whole thing with a sledgehammer, I mounted the assembly in the vice of fellow member and millwright Sven. It was seized solid on the driver's side. Tapping, application of heat, and lots of penetrating oil did nothing. As a last resort, Sven drilled three holes into the wiper shaft tube and filled them with penetrating oil. I later took a long-handled set of channel-lock pliers, located them onto one bar of the linkage, and applied pressure. Nothing at first, then I detected a slight bit of movement. More penetrating oil into the holes and as the shaft started to move in its tube, even more. With each spray of the oil a brownish foam started to come out, a sure sign of inner rust! Finally I got the whole thing loosened up and working the way it was intended. Then I greased the shafts up with the grease nipple wiper tube attachment described elsewhere in this forum. Now I'm looking forward to reinstalling it all--NOT! 

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 17:20:24 »
I didn't have to drill any holes as you did but I remember that first, tiny bit of movement. Thought I had conquered the world. Way to go!  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

SpeedModel

• Junior Level
  • USA, SC, Clover
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 01:36:33 »
Reviving this thread....  My wiper spindle was stuck. I tried the penetrant oil filled hose for several days without any luck. It was very stuck. Then ordered the wiper spindle grease tool from Authentic Classics https://www.authenticclassics.com/Greasing-Tool-Windshield-Wiper-Spindle-280sl-p/auth-008822.htm. Before injecting grease I wanted to inject penetrant oil. The zerk (grease) fitting was removed from the tool, then I threaded the tool on the spindle shaft, filled the tool with with PB Blaster penetrating oil through the hole where the zerk fitting had been and then used a rubber tipped air compressor gun to force the penetrating oil down the shaft.  After a few attempts the spindle was free. Then I refitted the zerk fitting and injected grease in the spindle shaft.  The Authentic Classics tool saved the day.  The moral of this story is to lubricate the spindle before it becomes seized.