Author Topic: Speaker Grille Cover Lacking Fasteners  (Read 2261 times)

captainslow

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Scappoose
Speaker Grille Cover Lacking Fasteners
« on: June 18, 2021, 20:14:39 »
So all was going “relatively” well replacing the heater controls when I thought getting it out would be easier from the top. I for the life of me can’t figure out how to get it off. There are no visible screws but it looks like the grille is being pulled down into the dashpad. Did someone refinish the grille in place? I’ve scratched around where it should be on the LH side and haven’t found a screw yet! Any advice would be appreciated!

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Speaker Grille Cover Lacking Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 21:25:43 »

Hello!

Early 230ies (until roughly about VIN 012000 - 014000) had no countersunk Philips screws for the speaker grille
but perpendicular protruding pins from the underside. These hold the grille "pulled down" in very little clamps which themselves  reside on little (about 1/2 inch high) pedestals and those reside just under the (leather of MB-Tex-covered) aluminum dash cover on top of the inner metal dashboard.

The pins are pretty much there where the later cars have their countersunk Philips sheet metal screws.
Roughly between the second and third wooden strip (from behind, not from front), very close to the sound opening of the grille.
You can pry off the grille carefully moving a kitchen knife or similar between the dashboard (the leather so to speak) and the grille... and jiggle around a bit; best is between 3rd and 4th wooden strip, because there is the (metal) pedestal (within the grille's underside) for the pin.
Try carefully and it should come off.

You've got new leather and new (too dark) paint on the wooden pieces; so, the parts must had come off in the more recent past.

Sorry, don't have a good pic on hand currently. One pic says more than a thousand words.

Good luck,

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

captainslow

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Scappoose
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 02:13:58 »
You are a rockstar, that is exactly how it comes apart!  I discovered a very crusty speaker under that grille.  One project at a time!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:57:23 »
Captainslow,
there are photos here that might help when you go further along with this project:
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Speakers
Of course, you would need to become a full member ... which might have the additional benefit to morph you into Captainfast.  :D
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 12:00:27 »
Speakers are available still. Its a very unique size, so no other options that I am aware of. I bought one of these, as my original cone and surround were basically gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-230-250-280SL-280SE-110-111-112-113-dash-speaker-spk-164-917-/263470880959

I discovered a very crusty speaker under that grille.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 12:28:37 »
I noticed that the speaker was directly visible below your speaker grille.  There should be a fine mesh "dust excluder" sandwiched between the wooden grille and the dash top to keep the speaker cone clean and to protect it from direct sunlight, which will make your new speaker cone last longer.  A small cut-to-fit piece of that black perforated material that gardeners use to keep weeds down works a treat!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

captainslow

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Scappoose
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 18:08:13 »
Does anyone recommend a modern speaker that will fit?  I'm having my euro Blauplunkt radio converted to digital with Bluetooth.  I'm planning on a center and then a LH/RH speaker under the dash.  I'm definitely not an audiophile I just want to listen to some tunes from time to time!

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 23:20:08 »
There are no modern speakers that fit the location correctly. The original speaker is built shallow as not to run into the heater controls. Here is a replacement with the correct dust shield included.

https://www.authenticclassics.com/Complete-Dash-Speaker-assembly-for-Mercedes-230SL-p/auth-009961.htm
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:58:56 »
Does anyone recommend a modern speaker that will fit?  I'm having my euro Blauplunkt radio converted to digital with Bluetooth.  I'm planning on a center and then a LH/RH speaker under the dash.  I'm definitely not an audiophile I just want to listen to some tunes from time to time!
What kind of Blaupunkt do you have? Period correct mono radio or later stereo? Not sure what you mean with "digital".
A Bluetooth adapter will not change any internal characteristics.
If you want to listen to your music stored on an iPod/MP3 player then having a separate bluetooth-enabled stereo speaker might be a good choice for you as described by Rolf-Dieter here:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19791.msg139485#msg139485

If you use "bluetooth' in a search you'll get lots of different opinions.

Keep us posted!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

captainslow

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Scappoose
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 03:22:11 »
@Tyler - The digital conversion will change the characteristics of the radio so I'm not married to the 4 ohm speakers.  I was hoping that in a sense the world would be my oyster!  I think the new system is setup for 8 ohm speakers.

@Alfred, its a correct European mono Frankfurt from 1966.  The radio was inop and blew fuses when turned on, but cosmetically it was pristine.  The correct MB faceplate and the dials and channel presets operated as they should.  The previous owner, when they had the car painted, also shaved the antenna off the fender which gave me incentive for other options.  Bill the Radio Guy in Shelton WA is taking the guts out of it and putting the Aurora Designs digital radio conversion in it.  This will remove the external amp and convert it to stereo AM/FM with bluetooth.  Sadly no shortwave, so I won't be able to hear the weather alerts! ;) All of the original controls will work as intended as well as the radio presets.  I will have the shortwave button switch the radio over to bluetooth going forward.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 16:17:34 »
Usually fuses will blow when the 50uf buffering capacitor shorts to ground. It is a fairly easy fix to replace it.
A Bluetooth adapter can be added to the 6 pin auxiliary input without any modifications.
My comment about the speaker had more to do with the size requirement then the ohm rating. I went round and round trying to find a modern speaker or 2 small speakers to fit the dash. No such luck. You may be able to install some small tweeters in that location.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)