Author Topic: W11x. New member, old problem  (Read 6439 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: W11x. New member, old problem
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 00:45:26 »
You might also try a different type of penetrant. Maybe the other type may have something else that works in this situation. Just a thought.

You should also try heat as long as there is nothing there that can be damaged. I would think a heat gun would suffice. That will activate any penetrant you use.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 01:43:36 »
Yeah i have heard that about kroil. I will find out shortly.

My wife wants to know why the kitchen smells funny?? 

Sshhh! 😉

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2021, 01:45:54 »
Thanks wallace. I believe there is a little rubber seal at the top of the shaft that keeps the fluid in (and I am not sure i can replace)?so avoiding heat for now.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2021, 02:06:53 »
Looks like you have a grip on it now. A heat gun at distance should not hurt the seal. Work the shaft while still warm.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2021, 02:43:49 »
If its not Moving by morning I will try the heat gun. At this point it will not budge. Not even a millimeter either way. Strange how it freezes up internally and there is really no external sign of corrosion.

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 03:13:12 »
Free at last, free at last....I put it in the vise this morning and the lever freed right up with a little elbow grease.  I started reinstalling today but I am on hold now waiting for a new trans mount as mine was falling apart.  I am optimistically hopeful that she will shift again and properly this time. Ill let you all know how it goes when the parts come in and I have her back together.

thanks again for the guidance so far!

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 07:00:16 »
So you have the tranny out?

Any thoughts on "while we are there"? Asking just to have it in the notes if I am in a similar situation: having tranny out for whatever reason, what are the things to look at and do?
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 12:21:08 »
Actually no I took Joe’s advice and lowered the back of the tranny. Of course I had to release the exhaust and lower that with it. Surprising how much it came down. Hopefully I didn’t damage anything up on the engine side? Time will tell. So no no other projects other than the flex disk and the tranny mount that I’m going to replace at this time. There is a write up that I came across describing many of the suggested items to address while the tranny‘s out I’ll see if I can find a link.

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 23:25:45 »
Update:
Well I have good news and bad.  First the good; I replaced the rear trans mount, trans filter and cork gasket, replaced the flex disk, Changed the fluid and put it all back together.  She is shifting again thru all gears na I am very happy to report that the brutal clunking I was getting while slowing down and a stop sign or light is completely gone.  100% better.  This was most certainly the result of the seized trans to solenoid linkage that would not allow the linkage to shift back to low pressure during downshift.

The bad news is I am still having a rough and late upshift from 2to3, (but a remarkably smooth upshift from 3to4). I have spent several hours trying to adjust the modulator linkage arm, shorter, longer but no cure.  Shortening gave me very erratic and harsh shifting.  Lengthening gave me a little improvement in the 2to3 upshift, less clunky but still shifting too late and it made the 3to4 upshift too early.

So, next I tried to adjust the modulator itself. I turned it two full turns in (CCW), trying to decrease the pressure.  The first test drive was very good.  Earlier shift at 25kph and much less harsh, 3to4 shift was also appropriate at about 40kph.  I thought I had succeeded however as things warmed up and I drove about 7 miles, the 2to3 shift got much harsher and clunky and later again.  Ugh. Does that make any sense? that the shifting (pressures) would change as the temperature got warmer. I guess it would. So I spent the afternoon with trial and error, turned it in, out...nothing productive.

Very frustrated. I guess I will need to take a more scientific approach.  Can anyone provide a source to get the appropriate M8 Banjo bolt and banjo fitting to attach a gauge and measure pressures.  I suppose this is the best way to get closer. 

Well at least the downshift clunking is gone! (felt like I was getting hit from behind everytime I slowed down)

Slow progress....

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks
Jed
happy fathers day to all the fathers out there!

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 23:40:24 »
Oh, by the way, the kickdown switch is now also working as it should (it didn't work at all before) and I have kept track of the original position of the linkage and the modulator adjustment screw so I can restore the 'original settings' if need be.
Jed

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 12:44:13 »
I haven't been following all your posts but have you changed the trans fluid? It can cause bad 2-3 change... Also make sure the level is correct
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

JedinDetroit

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Harrison Twp
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 20:44:19 »
I have changed the fluid, filter and verified the level. Thanks Col

I ordered what I think is the correct M8 banjo fitting and a pressure gauge so I should be able to check the pressures and dial things in a bit better later this week (finger crossed).