Author Topic: Bring a Trailer Pagoda prices  (Read 23714 times)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Bring a Trailer Pagoda prices
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 22:57:23 »
The other dealer wants to do a flip sell.  I know you paid a lot but if you really want the car it will be in a good home with you.  If he offers you some ridiculous amount like $50,000-$100,000 to walk away then do it and find another original one.  A tough call...
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, Port Alberni
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2021, 01:42:27 »
That’s along the lines of what I was thinking.
I’ll never see it again if I let it go.
Any idea who it was that wanted the pictures from this group for authenticity data?
I’d love to chat as I had a few minor improvements in mind but don’t want to spoil originality.

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2021, 04:06:03 »
i_ralley,

Welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on your purchase. I would hang tight unless an over the moon offer to walk away materializes. 

As far as improvements are concerned, one of the strengths of our forum is the knowledge, experience and wisdom of the collective group.  You can feel free to post your ideas or ask questions in the various threads on the forum and be assured of getting good advise, answers and feedback. Your car is very original and provides a good reference for many details.  That being said, all of our cars have a few warts and with a little effort you can work through those on your car.

You joined as a full member giving you full access to our technical manual.  Familiarization with the contents would be a worthwhile exercise. 

The search function at the top of the page is also a very valuable tool.

Again welcome to the forum.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2021, 04:15:46 »
From what I have read, here and elsewhere, I think you waited a very long time to realize your dream, much longer than the 14 years I waited to become the current custodian of my 230SL.  Keep it and cherish it.  Many of us here will be waiting to hear of your first drive and meet you at a future Pagoda Group event.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2021, 05:07:44 »
Thanks for the advise

The improvements I was thinking of was a little surface rust under the trunk Matt on One side.
Two spots under the cargo covers behind the seat and pealing paint on the bottom
Of the fuel tank
The car is at one the top shops in Canada where it had been maintained.
So my thought was cost would be very low
We can document the touch ups.

It’s very minor and I will always store the car in a heated dry place but why leave those spots.

They are on the auction photos
Everything on the car functions as original so nothing else is needed.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2021, 10:31:06 »
Hi,
Seems a great car, I viewed the video - drives and sounds good!
I see you are in Port Alberni so no doubt you've seen the car many times. If only you could have found it for sale before the dealer did!
It's interesting to see how the body has held up in the northwest. The climate there seems much friendlier to the paint and the tex, compared to California where my car lived. But not so good for corrosion. The surface rust you can probably keep at bay with rust converter and penetrating oil but watch out for the patch of rust on the hardtop pillar.
For those who haven't pored through the 300 photos, it is nice  :)
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2021, 15:42:17 »
The car was always garaged and from the 80’s till present moved to Victoria where it basically attended car shows and Sunday cruises.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2021, 17:23:47 »
It's interesting to see how the body has held up in the northwest. The climate there seems much friendlier to the paint and the tex, compared to California where my car lived. But not so good for corrosion. The surface rust you can probably keep at bay with rust converter and penetrating oil but watch out for the patch of rust on the hardtop pillar.

I agree that the small areas on the trunk floor may benefit from careful cleaning and application of POR-15, as may the hidden areas under the parcel shelves.  When I viewed the 300+ photos on the auction website the area of corrosion near the base of the hardtop pillar adjacent to the chrome rear window surround was of the greatest concern, due to what additional damage may lurk out of sight in what can be a critical area for corrosion perforation and loss.

Just to prevent a future issue, I think that one of the two small square pads that protect the underside of the soft top lid from being dimpled/damaged by the windscreen latching screws when the top is stowed may be missing.  A replacement square should be easily created and glued in place, provided one can source some rubber material of similar thickness.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2021, 19:03:00 »
Great thanks I appreciate the help

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2021, 03:55:00 »
i_ralley,

There are a couple of other things that you might want to consider putting on your "to do" list.  The firewall pad is in pretty rough shape and if I were you this is one of the first things I would consider replacing.  Another item to consider is the paint inside the trunk. If you are going to address the minor rust there, you will be doing some painting.  I would return to the proper color in place of the glossy black there now which takes away from the originality of the car as a whole. The missing trunk lid decals can be replaced after re-paint.

These items are not urgent but can be taken care of before the beginning of the driving season.  Wishing you all the best with your car.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2021, 04:29:49 »
 This is the debate I don’t want to change the nature of the car.
Also don’t want to leave anything that could adversely effect the car.

Does keeping certain patina benefit the story and originality of the car.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2021, 13:58:34 »
Fix what is necessary to prevent deterioration and maintenance to keep it in good running condition.  Keep it clean and drive it.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2021, 19:39:25 »
Pagoda sold prices on BAT are all over the place.

Some go for $100k+, others in same condition barely hits $70k.

SOMETIMES, there are good deals.

I think a lot depends on the color combo.

For some reason, silver cars gets big money.  Browns not so much.

1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2021, 04:19:52 »
This is the debate I don’t want to change the nature of the car.
Also don’t want to leave anything that could adversely effect the car.

Does keeping certain patina benefit the story and originality of the car.

The paint color in the trunk is no longer original and correcting it and replacing the decals would bring the trunk space closer to original. The deteriorated firewall pad as shown in BAT photo 138, while no doubt original, is not in keeping with the character of the rest of the car.  IMHO addressing these two items would be positive rather than adversely affecting the car.  Fix what is important to you and enjoy!
Ralph

1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2021, 14:58:58 »
How's this for a BaT flip:

https://www.lagunaclassiccars.com/vehicles/465/1969-mercedes-benz-280sl

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-mercedes-benz-280sl-50/

I don’t understand how this is a “flip”  -  it did not sell on BAT (reserve not met) and now available for sale on consignment through a dealer. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2021, 18:37:25 »
The paint color in the trunk is no longer original and correcting it and replacing the decals would bring the trunk space closer to original. The deteriorated firewall pad as shown in BAT photo 138, while no doubt original, is not in keeping with the character of the rest of the car.  IMHO addressing these two items would be positive rather than adversely affecting the car.  Fix what is important to you and enjoy!

I would concur with Ralph about the firewall pad.  There is no particular benefit to leaving it as is.  Its original condition is well documented, and replacing it falls into the same category of conservation as, for instance, the selective repaint of the hood that was performed prior to the auction.  (I would also include the selective repair and repaint of the hardtop in this category of conservation, if it proves to be necessary.)

Regarding the interior of the trunk, the first thing I noticed when first reviewing the 300+ photos on BAT is that the tire pressure decal is still in place on the underside of the trunk lid, but was painted over when the interior was touched up.  Has anyone had any experience successfully stripping paint from the trunk decal without harming the decal itself?

As for the color of the trunk interior paint itself, we all know how difficult it is to determine the true color of the painted surfaces in a trunk from photos.  The "dark grey" finish will appear to be black in some photos and not so black (ergo, "dark gray") in others.  It may come to pass that revealing the now painted-over sticker and dealing with the surface rust along the seams under the cargo mat might be all that is necessary to conserve the trunk area of this Pagoda.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2021, 19:03:49 »
@kampala Ah my bad, I remembered seeing the car before when I saw the dealer advert, and thought it had ended in a sale on BaT.

Damn, guess my car hasn't appreciated by 65% in 4 months then!

1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2021, 19:32:12 »
I will repair the minor corrosion spots

Last thought on this the soft top
Is original and warn.
The car will never see rain with me....
Would you replace it or leave it?

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 01:58:30 »
Maybe see whether you actually use the soft top, you might not. It looks serviceable for occasional use at least.
The problem with renewing anything is that it might start you on a complete restoration. So I would second Brad's "keep it clean and drive it".
(also keep the clogs  ;))
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

i_ralley

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2021, 05:02:38 »
Those will stay for sure
Yes the idea with this car was not to restore....
Preserve and enjoy

Thanks for all the advise

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2021, 18:09:33 »
Hey i_ralley,
You sure bought a very original car there, and since you are very interested in originality, I've noticed a few things you might want to research.
I mostly know 280SL, so I might be wrong on some of these:
1. Check out your clock bezel. It is pointed (the cross-section has a point, it is not circular). I believe this is not original to the car.
2. I know in the later cars, the defrost "plaque" (near the center of the heat/air controls) is not on European cars, and it is on the US cars. Since your car was delivered to North America, I believe it should have the plaque and you don’t.
3. Do I see an exhaust tip with a flat section on it???? It looks like one new one (round cross-section) and one original one (flat area on the cross-section). These are extremely rare and I would not replace it even if you have one of each on your car.
I hope I am not wrong on everything and this comment has some value to you.
Enjoy your new Pagoda. It is only original once.
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2021, 19:12:32 »
I mostly know 280SL, so I might be wrong on some of these:
1. Check out your clock bezel. It is pointed (the cross-section has a point, it is not circular). I believe this is not original to the car.
2. I know in the later cars, the defrost "plaque" (near the center of the heat/air controls) is not on European cars, and it is on the US cars. Since your car was delivered to North America, I believe it should have the plaque and you don’t.
You are wrong, Mark.  :o
Both details are correct for a 230SL, but of course not for a 280SL.
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 20:10:42 »
Thanks for correcting me Alfred. I really don't want to give out wrong info.
Interesting that in most cases the harder parts to come by are the early parts, not the late parts.
But, the last time I had a clock re-built, they had the bezel with the peak on it in inventory and not the round one I needed. Interesting. Luckily they were able to re-use my very nice original one.
Thanks again for setting me straight.
Take care,
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

tapiap

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Morristown
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2021, 23:58:02 »
Hello All,
First, I would like to Thank a good friend on this site for alerting me on the interesting back and forth on our product. I'm the owner of Performance & Vintage Classicos, and we take pride for the work we do -- Is it perfect?... perhaps not... is it the best, perhaps not... But it is damm good! and it is honest! -- You want to pick away at someone's work -- we all know that even the Classic Center's work can be picked apart if that is your bailiwick. We have folks from  the group pretending to be the all mighty of restoring these cars, and make comments for the wrong clamps being used ... Well we use NORMA clamps on our cars ... so does the Classic Center, and folks pay $250K for their cars.  Comment on recreating a DATACARD as a negative... well we issue the original datacard, and one by our company with any deviation from the original... Is this a sin?  Why do we need to be so pity... why don't we just create a community  that celebrates our cars, our relationships and has an appreciation for what we are all doing?  We need to stop behaving like old ladies criticizing a soap opera -- There is no value in sitting behind a keyboard and making pity comments... It does not elevate one and it does not elevate this usergroup.  In fact, very few of the folks on this group takes the time to say things like Joe Alexander is wonderful, or Dan Caron is amazing...  Let's keep it positive!

I actually think our cars are worth $200K+ ... that you may not want to pay that, I respect that... this is why there is a market!

I love an original car ... and we will continue to strive to restore our cars as close to the  original factory car as possible... But I will let you know (here first), we are presently working on 6 Pagodas that will be electric cars. Now, I can see some of you turning over and calling this the ultimate insult... Well, guess what? Customers want them! The market wants them. 3 of the six are already under contract. So please forgive me  for not being the 'purist' some of you may be.

I learn a ton from folks on this forum... but would enjoy a little more positive tone on all the commentary!
Regards,
Pablo